Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Cruising is definitely worth it - don't be discouraged! Those of us with special needs just have to do a lot more planning and ask a lot more questions. I try to plan ahead as much as possible so that there are less things to deal with once I leave. I even do research to make sure that there is a ladies room that I will be able to use when I am on shore excursions since it can sometimes be difficult to find a wheelchair accessible restroom.

You have plenty of time to get everything worked out with Celebrity. Just keep asking questions. They do have a "real" refrigerator in the cabins, it just does not keep things very cold. I can put a bottle of champagne in the refrigerator at home and it is cold enough to drink, however, for me, its not cold enough to drink out of the Celebrity refrigerator. If your medication needs to be at a certain temperature, just follow up with them to make sure that your needs will be met.

I don't even have a service dog yet - I am on a waiting list. It will be even more of a challenge to have to plan to travel with a dog too, but it will be worth it.

You will love it once you get on the ship!

Dianne

Dianne, if this thread were around when I started cruising with Brenda it would have been so much easier and more enjoyable!

It is challenging to do any kind of travels with our dogs. But, it's all about preparing, planning and thinking ahead. Where does your dog like to sleep, what does he like to eat, what does he like to play with. What's his favorite snack? Practice with him in going potty in a box; on shavings; on mulch; on dirt; on pebbles. Make him feel at ease and comfortable. Reward him and make it fun!

The ship's officers will look at how confident and sure you are with your dog and will treat you accordingly. Your demands will be met if your polite and sure of yourself. You know what's best and won't settle for less!!!! Be positive, know what you want and let them know it!

I LOVE CRUISING with my dog. It's pure joy now. He makes my life so much better and his needs are met at every turn.

Ok so done with this snow! :mad::mad::mad: I used to like alittle snow occasionally. But its making me hate it. 29" the otherday and atleast 12 or more and still snowing. And they say more this week too. :thumbdown:

I'm so sorry Cindy. Your weather is enough to challenge the toughest of souls!

Somebody get Cindy to that ship already!!!! :p

Dianne, if this thread were around when I started cruising with Brenda it would have been so much easier and more enjoyable!

It is challenging to do any kind of travels with our dogs. But, it's all about preparing, planning and thinking ahead. Where does your dog like to sleep, what does he like to eat, what does he like to play with. What's his favorite snack? Practice with him in going potty in a box; on shavings; on mulch; on dirt; on pebbles. Make him feel at ease and comfortable. Reward him and make it fun!

The ship's officers will look at how confident and sure you are with your dog and will treat you accordingly. Your demands will be met if your polite and sure of yourself. You know what's best and won't settle for less!!!! Be positive, know what you want and let them know it!

I LOVE CRUISING with my dog. It's pure joy now. He makes my life so much better and his needs are met at every turn.

I am used to researching and planning everything ahead of time - just to get myself places. My husband calls me the master planner. The dog will be one more thing to plan for, but it will be so worth it. With all of the info I have learned on this board, I will be ahead of the game.

Dianne

Ok so done with this snow! :mad::mad::mad: I used to like alittle snow occasionally. But its making me hate it. 29" the otherday and atleast 12 or more and still snowing. And they say more this week too. :thumbdown:

I couldn't deal with the snow at all. You probably will enjoy your cruise so much more knowing the weather you are leaving behind.

Dianne

I am used to researching and planning everything ahead of time - just to get myself places. My husband calls me the master planner. The dog will be one more thing to plan for, but it will be so worth it. With all of the info I have learned on this board, I will be ahead of the game.

Dianne

Dianne, you will love every minute of it, I promise you!!!!

There isn't really a traditional promenade deck on the S - class ships. That is actually one thing people complain about. Did the put it on the deck with the track? Or was it instead on deck 5?

The wind on 5 can get really bad at times. One side of 5 has a smoking area, and I've seen it closed quite a number of times due to high wind..

It was all the way forward on the partial "promenade" on Constellation, Deck 4 starboard, and I was told on board to expect the same area for Reflection, (but on Solstice class that is Deck 5.)

Yes, it was wet, windy and even closed off to passengers several times due to high winds and crew maintenance. I requested a change twice but on Constellation, was told by a senior officer that per top management, an alternate location was absolutely not possible, and to just duck under the hazard tape signs across the door.

I needed to use extreme care when pushing the heavy glass door against the wind so it wouldn't slam against me or my dog, and when walking on the slick, windy deck. On formal night, my husband was with me for the last walk before bed...tuxedo and dressy clothes & hairdo blasted by the wet wind...we just laughed because it was so crazy to be out there. Eventually, the weather cleared the 5th day of the cruise.

(My husband took a photo of me with wind blown clothes, hair completely covering my face, trying to see to monitor the dog in the box. Also pics of a man painting after the rains subsided on a tall ladder arranged overtop the box!)

I've learned this first year that yes, you do your best to change bad situations, but you may have to adapt to unexpected scenarios.

I will double check Reflection in a couple of weeks. If I remember correctly, you can go out on deck 5 starboard in 3 different places (port side is the smoking side), forward by the theatre, middle by the Café AL Bacio (the coffee shop) and aft by the specialty restaurants.

Cindy, I would be heading south, already! :eek: We have had several mishaps getting to the ship. Fortunately none delayed us enough to get there! One we just got through on interstate 8 when they shut it down because of a HUGE fire. Another time the rain was so hard we couldn't see 2 feet in front of us. Good thing hubby is a good driver, took his time and we made it safely. In later years we have always driven down the night before and used the Park and Cruise package, well worth it for my sanity! Did I say I was sane? Bawaahahaha, you guys all know better.

I don't know if this will work, but here's a bunch of photos I took on Saturday:

https://www.facebook.com/hollysumner.ff/media_set?set=a.10152677477103543.1073741841.535573542&type=3

I love the dog whose trying to burrow his way into the sand and then roll around in it! So much fun!

Is there someone who has been aboard the Regal Princess that can give me an idea where the box is located? Would just like to get a little heads up. The best box area we have experienced was while on the Allure, as it all the way aft on the jogging deck tucked in a small some what enclosed area which affords a little privacy. On another note Im still upset, while walking back with dog on the side of the track an elderly walker going by yells out to me "now Iv'e seen every thing". Must have been his first encounter with an SA on a cruise ship. Oh yes, the conversation got very heated. He actually had the ----- to tell me "he has the right to hate dogs just as much as I have right to like them". Can you imagine. I was livid. Usally I hear from fellow cruisers that how well behaved he is, or that their dog would never do that. He puts big smiles on a lot of passengers and crew, especially those who had to leave their pet behind or have had lost one. Just had to vent.

Is there someone who has been aboard the Regal Princess that can give me an idea where the box is located? Would just like to get a little heads up. The best box area we have experienced was while on the Allure, as it all the way aft on the jogging deck tucked in a small some what enclosed area which affords a little privacy. On another note Im still upset, while walking back with dog on the side of the track an elderly walker going by yells out to me "now Iv'e seen every thing". Must have been his first encounter with an SA on a cruise ship. Oh yes, the conversation got very heated. He actually had the ----- to tell me "he has the right to hate dogs just as much as I have right to like them". Can you imagine. I was livid. Usally I hear from fellow cruisers that how well behaved he is, or that their dog would never do that. He puts big smiles on a lot of passengers and crew, especially those who had to leave their pet behind or have had lost one. Just had to vent.

I don't know where your cabin is or if you have the capability of opening the stairwell doors, but that's where I ask Princess to put my dogs potty box. In the stairwell. Some managers will try and tell you that it's illegal or unsafe to do this [NOT TRUE], the box is placed against the far wall.....not in the way at all. The door to the stairwell is very heavy and there is a slight step to get in and out but it's my favorite place. Feel free to use my name and these boards when requesting the stairwell.

I have used this area for the last 10+ cruises and Princess has been very accommodating! Sometimes I had to fight for it but I won in the end!!!!

Also, there are crew closets [used for their cleaning stuff] that can be used for the box as well.

That man's comment to you mirrors the man who stood up in the middle of Horizon Court when I was walking in with Brenda and shouted, "I am not going to eat in this room with a dog!" Another man stood, not too far away from him and shouted back, "then leave!"

You will have folks who adore your dog and those that HATE.....I mean HATE your dog. They'll make scowling faces, snub their noses and even make tisk, tisking sounds with their tongues when you come near them! I've heard and seen them all!

You'll grow a thick skin; stand or wheel tall and be prepared. At first, I was a bit gun shy.......I'd back up as far as I could in an elevator so that my dog didn't touch or wasn't able to sniff at or even look at anyone, until I soon realized that this was unrealistic.......he's a dog not Casper the Ghost! He will sniff the air and maybe get a wag in and I'll do my best to remove him from other's space.......but he has rights too!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

That man's comment to you mirrors the man who stood up in the middle of Horizon Court when I was walking in with Brenda and shouted, "I am not going to eat in this room with a dog!" Another man stood, not too far away from him and shouted back, "then leave!"

Well...one's a Man and one is not.

not hard to pick the Man out, is it?

Cindy, I would be heading south, already! :eek: We have had several mishaps getting to the ship. Fortunately none delayed us enough to get there! One we just got through on interstate 8 when they shut it down because of a HUGE fire. Another time the rain was so hard we couldn't see 2 feet in front of us. Good thing hubby is a good driver, took his time and we made it safely. In later years we have always driven down the night before and used the Park and Cruise package, well worth it for my sanity! Did I say I was sane? Bawaahahaha, you guys all know better.

Ya we do know better. ;)

Wexler cant even play in the snow.

Poor Wexler! Tell him that Gibson says send some of that snow back to the Midwest. There hasn't been enough in Kansas City for a Labrador Retriever to slide around in. Well, maybe the folks who live north of the Missouri river wouldn't agree this week. South of the city is snow deprived. Gibson says he has been cheated out of his winter fun!

Beckie

All this talk of snow is starting to unnerve me. The first thing I do in the morning is check the 10 day weather forecast these days. We are just under two weeks till we sail and as of today, the weather was clear for the final vet and USDA appointments. This better not change! Mother Nature, are you listening???

We are driving down to Fort Lauderdale, so my next concern would be the forecast for that weekend. We always have a back up plan. There is always the option of leaving the night before the original date, driving down to Virginia somewhere south of DC for the night. Then, have a leisurely morning and an easy drive to SC or GA or even Jacksonville, FL. Saving another easier drive for the following day. Actually, that sounds better to me than waking up before the crack of dawn to leave, drive 10 to 12 hours, then stop for the night. I don't do mornings well at all...! The next day would be a slightly shorter drive to our final destination. Even though, we have dodged a few bullets with the snowstorms of late, it has been so cold. I cannot wait to feel warm again. I am so looking forward to not wearing sweaters and coats. I know Pedro is too. He prefers going au naturale...;)

Speaking of Pedro... We had him with us at Staples today. He was not enjoying it at all. He wouldn't sit or stand still while I had to fax something to Princess...regarding HIM. He was pulling on his leash to go over to an elderly couple and would not listen to commands. Accidently, my cane fell from the counter and scared him so much that he ran and screeched so loud. I was embarrassed. The only thing I could do was pick him up and stick him in my coat. He was fine after that. We made several more stops without incident. Maybe it was something in Staples that he didn't like.:confused: I'm starting to think that we may keep him in the doggie sling until we get on board the ship to avoid any negative possibilities.

Roz, do SDs get a boarding pass? Do I need one or more copies of form 7001, or should I just make copies of the original?

Cindra

I love the dog whose trying to burrow his way into the sand and then roll around in it! So much fun!

That's Khai. She is so cute, and so smart! She's only a year old and she's already passed the Public Access Test. Still a year away from real partner training but her human takes advantage of all the training he can. He's a veteran and Khai just naturally seemed to know what to do. For example he gets shaky, especially with his feet. She knew to lay on them to calm him.

It's amazing what these dogs do for people and how many just seem to know who and what they are needed for.