Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi there! Just caught up reading the last 20 pages. Work and home have been very hectic (and I was sick with a cough for a bit). Glad to see new folks here. Sorry to those having snow issues. Love seeing all the pics! :)

Edited by dobiemom

Hi there! Just caught up reading the last 20 pages. Work and home have been very hectic (and I was sick with a cough for a bit). Glad to see new folks here. Sorry to those having snow issues. Love seeing all the pics! :)

Great to see you Dobiemom! Hectic times, being sick - you need a cruise.

All this talk of snow is starting to unnerve me. The first thing I do in the morning is check the 10 day weather forecast these days. We are just under two weeks till we sail and as of today, the weather was clear for the final vet and USDA appointments. This better not change! Mother Nature, are you listening???

We are driving down to Fort Lauderdale, so my next concern would be the forecast for that weekend. We always have a back up plan. There is always the option of leaving the night before the original date, driving down to Virginia somewhere south of DC for the night. Then, have a leisurely morning and an easy drive to SC or GA or even Jacksonville, FL. Saving another easier drive for the following day. Actually, that sounds better to me than waking up before the crack of dawn to leave, drive 10 to 12 hours, then stop for the night. I don't do mornings well at all...! The next day would be a slightly shorter drive to our final destination. Even though, we have dodged a few bullets with the snowstorms of late, it has been so cold. I cannot wait to feel warm again. I am so looking forward to not wearing sweaters and coats. I know Pedro is too. He prefers going au naturale...;)

Speaking of Pedro... We had him with us at Staples today. He was not enjoying it at all. He wouldn't sit or stand still while I had to fax something to Princess...regarding HIM. He was pulling on his leash to go over to an elderly couple and would not listen to commands. Accidently, my cane fell from the counter and scared him so much that he ran and screeched so loud. I was embarrassed. The only thing I could do was pick him up and stick him in my coat. He was fine after that. We made several more stops without incident. Maybe it was something in Staples that he didn't like.:confused: I'm starting to think that we may keep him in the doggie sling until we get on board the ship to avoid any negative possibilities.

Roz, do SDs get a boarding pass? Do I need one or more copies of form 7001, or should I just make copies of the original?

Cindra

Cindra, you're learning the "triggers" for Pedro. He frightens at loud and sudden noises. Horton literally shivers at the sound of popping balloons. I had to remove him from an area onboard the Crown Princess because he looked like a bowl of licorice jello! How's that for a Service Dog reaction?

Princess loves to have balloons in their Piazza for dropping at midnight and while they're blowing them up and placing them in the net they do sometimes pop! And, since I like to hang around this area a lot, I'm going to have to do some set-ups around Horton before we go on our next cruise. He will have to become desensitized to the popping of balloons.

Hello PartyCity, here I come! :rolleyes:

Edited by wizard-of-roz

All this talk of snow is starting to unnerve me. The first thing I do in the morning is check the 10 day weather forecast these days. We are just under two weeks till we sail and as of today, the weather was clear for the final vet and USDA appointments. This better not change! Mother Nature, are you listening???

We are driving down to Fort Lauderdale, so my next concern would be the forecast for that weekend. We always have a back up plan. There is always the option of leaving the night before the original date, driving down to Virginia somewhere south of DC for the night. Then, have a leisurely morning and an easy drive to SC or GA or even Jacksonville, FL. Saving another easier drive for the following day. Actually, that sounds better to me than waking up before the crack of dawn to leave, drive 10 to 12 hours, then stop for the night. I don't do mornings well at all...! The next day would be a slightly shorter drive to our final destination. Even though, we have dodged a few bullets with the snowstorms of late, it has been so cold. I cannot wait to feel warm again. I am so looking forward to not wearing sweaters and coats. I know Pedro is too. He prefers going au naturale...;)

Speaking of Pedro... We had him with us at Staples today. He was not enjoying it at all. He wouldn't sit or stand still while I had to fax something to Princess...regarding HIM. He was pulling on his leash to go over to an elderly couple and would not listen to commands. Accidently, my cane fell from the counter and scared him so much that he ran and screeched so loud. I was embarrassed. The only thing I could do was pick him up and stick him in my coat. He was fine after that. We made several more stops without incident. Maybe it was something in Staples that he didn't like.:confused: I'm starting to think that we may keep him in the doggie sling until we get on board the ship to avoid any negative possibilities.

Roz, do SDs get a boarding pass? Do I need one or more copies of form 7001, or should I just make copies of the original?

Cindra

Remember, Pedro like Horton is your medical device. They DO NOT get Boarding Passes or their picture taken at embarkation. It's you who has all the protection under the law, therefor your dog [medical device] does too!

I do suggest that you have copies of the original form to hand over to the registration folks. It will save you time from waiting for them to find a copier!

Cindra, you're learning the "triggers" for Pedro. He frightens at loud and sudden noises. Horton literally shivers at the sound of popping balloons. I had to remove him from an area onboard the Crown Princess because he looked like a bowl of licorice jello! How's that for a Service Dog reaction?

Princess loves to have balloons in their Piazza for dropping at midnight and while they're blowing them up and placing them in the net they do sometimes pop! And, since I like to hang around this area a lot, I'm going to have to do some set-ups around Horton before we go on our next cruise. He will have to become desensitized to the popping of balloons.

Hello PartyCity, here I come! :rolleyes:

Roz,

Thank you for reassuring me that service dogs are not perfect all of the time. When I have encountered others with their SDs, they seem so perfect and well trained...then, when Pedro does something that's not so perfect, I get concerned. Thanks to you and others who have shared some horror stories, I feel more confident in Pedro. He does the job he was trained to do so well...but sometimes, he just isn't perfect. It's nice to know that this imperfect behavior isn't unusual in a SD....they are just dogs after all, and I shouldn't expect perfection. I imagine those perfect show dogs you see on TV can be wise guys too.:p

DH and I have decided, for Pedro's safety...and sanity...because of all the craziness on embarkation day, that we will keep Pedro safely in the doggie sling. This way, he won't be spooked by loud noises, stray canes, dropped carry-ons, or other odd noises. He always feels more secure when he is close to a body anyway. I hope the TSA guy doesn't want us to put him through the scanner!:eek: Don't worry, we would NEVER let that happen. We may have to take him out to put the sling through though.:rolleyes:

12 days....and counting

Cindra

In December at embarkation security, I was told to walk through the mag machine with the dog (who was wearing vest and harness). Of course, the metal on her leash fittings showed up, and they had us move over to a nearby area where a friendly supervisor unzipped the pockets on her vest and gave her a general look over. That was it, no hassle.

Roz,

Thank you for reassuring me that service dogs are not perfect all of the time. When I have encountered others with their SDs, they seem so perfect and well trained...then, when Pedro does something that's not so perfect, I get concerned. Thanks to you and others who have shared some horror stories, I feel more confident in Pedro. He does the job he was trained to do so well...but sometimes, he just isn't perfect. It's nice to know that this imperfect behavior isn't unusual in a SD....they are just dogs after all, and I shouldn't expect perfection. I imagine those perfect show dogs you see on TV can be wise guys too.:p

DH and I have decided, for Pedro's safety...and sanity...because of all the craziness on embarkation day, that we will keep Pedro safely in the doggie sling. This way, he won't be spooked by loud noises, stray canes, dropped carry-ons, or other odd noises. He always feels more secure when he is close to a body anyway. I hope the TSA guy doesn't want us to put him through the scanner!:eek: Don't worry, we would NEVER let that happen. We may have to take him out to put the sling through though.:rolleyes:

12 days....and counting

Cindra

Cindra,

Depending on the agent; you may be asked to remove Pedro from the sling, or not. You may be asked to put a leash on him and walk him through the scan, or not. I was once asked to leave Brenda and then on another occasion Horton, to give them the command to sit/stay, I walked through the scan and then gave the command to come to me Horton and I were fairly new in traveling together and I was a bit worried but he responded perfectly, as did Brenda.

We should "never" be asked to separate from our dogs, but sometimes the agents have a "control" issue and you don't want to become argumentative with them......you'll NEVER come out the victor!

Stay calm, cool and follow their instructions. Sometimes they'll "pat down" your dog, sometimes not. This is where your dogs behavior comes in to play. If Pedro gets "skiddish" if someone touches him i.e. whiney, nippy or even bark, you need to let the agent know before he/she touches him. Giving them a heads-up will look so much better for you and Pedro.

Once you go through TSA.....you can relax, have a seat and get ready to have your picture taken before you get to board for your fabulous vacation.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I was getting worried about you! I hope you're feeling better!

Snowing again today. :( we just heard that there will be more snow starting Sat and continue until Tues. Im starting to freak out. I think we will be ok to get outta here I hope.

YOU need to get on that cruise ship...We are ALL thinking positive thoughts for you and GETTING OUT OF DODGE!!!!!

I think we are going to just make it out. Im trying not to think about it.

Dobiemom welcome back!!

Just got back from the vet. Got the health certificate, and Wex is ready to go. Had hair done , picked up pills and did banking. Groomer tomorrow, pedi Sat with Stephanie and thats it! Whew. :-)

I think we are going to just make it out. Im trying not to think about it.

Dobiemom welcome back!!

Just got back from the vet. Got the health certificate, and Wex is ready to go. Had hair done , picked up pills and did banking. Groomer tomorrow, pedi Sat with Stephanie and thats it! Whew. :-)

Keep thinking positive thoughts!! Also, keep rechecking your local weather app for updates on the weather...as it can change so fast. I have been checking my 10 day forecast all week. So far, so good, for us. We could also leave the night before, if need be.

You are doing this week, what I will be doing next week. Crunch time!!:eek: We will definitely get out, come hell or high water. I am more concerned about making the vet appointment and the USDA appointment the next day. Both offices are in NJ, which gets more snow than Philadelphia usually. There is also some dodgy weather forecast on the day of the vet appointment. I will definitely be there. I have to hope that the vet will be too. Alas...something else to obsess about.:rolleyes:

Cindra

Keep thinking positive thoughts!! Also, keep rechecking your local weather app for updates on the weather...as it can change so fast. I have been checking my 10 day forecast all week. So far, so good, for us. We could also leave the night before, if need be.

You are doing this week, what I will be doing next week. Crunch time!!:eek: We will definitely get out, come hell or high water. I am more concerned about making the vet appointment and the USDA appointment the next day. Both offices are in NJ, which gets more snow than Philadelphia usually. There is also some dodgy weather forecast on the day of the vet appointment. I will definitely be there. I have to hope that the vet will be too. Alas...something else to obsess about.:rolleyes:

Cindra

Cindra, Hope you have a great cruise! Sorry to hear you are in the snow zone too. But it seems Boston is the place being slammed this year. I really dont know where more is going to go. As it is now people have to walk in the street because sidewalks are unpassable.

Heading to warmer weather!!

Cindra, Hope you have a great cruise! Sorry to hear you are in the snow zone too. But it seems Boston is the place being slammed this year. I really dont know where more is going to go. As it is now people have to walk in the street because sidewalks are unpassable.

Heading to warmer weather!!

Hope you have a great one too! Which ship and ports will you be in? We're on the Coral Princess...round trip Panama Canal. I've nicknamed it "the coffee cruise" due to the fact that four of the five ports are famous for their coffee. I hope to snap some up in each.

Can't wait to get out of the cold!!

Have fun! We can compare stories and photos when we return.

Cindra

Hope you have a great one too! Which ship and ports will you be in? We're on the Coral Princess...round trip Panama Canal. I've nicknamed it "the coffee cruise" due to the fact that four of the five ports are famous for their coffee. I hope to snap some up in each.

Can't wait to get out of the cold!!

Have fun! We can compare stories and photos when we return.

Cindra

We are on Eurodam western caribbean.

We got an alert from jetblue last night. Our flight is fine right now but dont know whats going to happen. I called up and the girl said we would prob be ok but she cant guarantee it. My sil called from fla this morning to warn us, but John insists we will be fine and will not change it. :-(

We are on Eurodam western caribbean.

We got an alert from jetblue last night. Our flight is fine right now but dont know whats going to happen. I called up and the girl said we would prob be ok but she cant guarantee it. My sil called from fla this morning to warn us, but John insists we will be fine and will not change it. :-(

Cindy, talk about earning a vacation.....You know how people kiss the ground when they get off a scary airplane ride? You're going to be kissing the deck of the Eurodam when you finally get onboard. Just think.....NO SNOW!!!!! :mad:

Just picture yourself relaxing and enjoying every moment while you're on her.

Roz ♥