Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I know!! Cindy, John and Wexler made it! After watching the morning weather report, I've been fretting all day about whether their flight took off. You did it, Cindy - yay!

And it's a beautiful day in Florida to sail (we arrived in the Keys yesterday, spending a week in our RV, loving the warm. Almost like a cruise but I have to cook and clean. Wait, what?)

It was on the warmer side today....in the upper 40s to low 50s. We decided to go to Atlantic City to check out the outlet stores. The roads were empty on the way. There was no traffic at the tolls or approaching AC. We had no trouble parking and walked around a bit, got what we came for and stopped at Starbucks for refreshment. Pedro was enjoying the day too. His head was up, he was sniffing all the new smells and that tail was wagging away. At one point, a police car about 50 feet away from us turned on his siren and it made us jump....all, but Pedro. He didn't even flinch. Makes me a little less worried that the ship's horn will scare him. He was an absolute angel...very ON today. He slept all the way home in the car, though. LOL It was an exciting day for him. Can't wait to see how he reacts to next week's events.;);)

One week to go!:D

Cindra

Cindy and co left their berth about 3.45, we were listening in on the chat on the webcam ... There was a bit of entertainment just before their ship came into the ship canal when a yacht got stuck right in their pathway and we could hear all the hasty conversations to get the harbour authorities boat out there to get this yacht very promptly out of the Eurodam's way. Last we saw was the high speed harbour boat shooting past about two minutes before the Eurodam, of course they moved the camera so we couldn't see how it turned out but I imagine they got it shifted out of the way pretty darn quick! Wexler and party coming through! LOL!

It's just so exciting to see this happening live when you are thousands of miles away. And our cyber pals too.

I have to say we were a tad envious waving them off on such a beautiful day!

We were not home to see them leaving port. Did anyone do a screen capture of the ship and post it?

Well, I almost had a heart attack just now... My vet's office called. They said the vet wouldn't be available at my appointment time tomorrow and the wanted to reschedule. OMG! Noooooo! I told the girl that this appointment was critical and couldn't be changed...and explained why. She then said that we could come either earlier or later the same day. I was so relieved. Luckily, it will only be an hour later than the original appointment. Phew! The weather forecast for tomorrow and Wednesday(my USDA appt) is clear for both days, so I don't have to worry about that.

The forecast for Saturday, the day we leave, may have some snow showers, but we should still be ok. We are driving down to south Florida, so once we get past DC, we should have no worries...weather-wise.

This is the first cruise that I didn't use a detailed list to pack from. I hope I don't forget anything.

Cindra

Cindy and co left their berth about 3.45, we were listening in on the chat on the webcam ... There was a bit of entertainment just before their ship came into the ship canal when a yacht got stuck right in their pathway and we could hear all the hasty conversations to get the harbour authorities boat out there to get this yacht very promptly out of the Eurodam's way. Last we saw was the high speed harbour boat shooting past about two minutes before the Eurodam, of course they moved the camera so we couldn't see how it turned out but I imagine they got it shifted out of the way pretty darn quick! Wexler and party coming through! LOL!

It's just so exciting to see this happening live when you are thousands of miles away. And our cyber pals too.

I love watching the Port Everglades sailaways when I can. Almost as good as being on a ship. Well, maybe not. ;):D

Fairbourne, thanks so much for this. I'm so glad that she got her crew out of Boston. I'm sure she had some panicky moments.

I love watching the Port Everglades sailaways when I can. Almost as good as being on a ship. Well, maybe not. ;):D

I love watching them too, but it only serves to make me want to be onboard and going with them.

I have to have a cruise in the works for me to have sanity! Does that sound over indulgent.......Oh! Who cares! Just get me on a ship!

Cindy - we saw you all waving, and we all waved right back at you!

How exciting was that! Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy that beautiful weather! :D:D

I love the picture........Bye, Bye snow.......HELLO SUNSHINE!!!!!

Fairbourne, you're getting to be quite a genius at this picture thing!

Sunday, was the one year anniversary for my Brenda. I can't believe it. I loved her so much and miss her every day! She was truly my hero and I'll love her forever. I still have video's of her walking to the potty box onboard one of our cruises. She was brilliantly smart. She only had to be shown something one time and the next time, I could take off her leash and ask her to go and I could follow behind as she would lead the way!

She taught me so much about patience and love. About being kind, gentle and giving!

Thank you Brenda Elizabeth for being in my life for helping me to start this thread so that others could enjoy cruising as much as you did!!!! Brenda's my avatar!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Well, I'm home from my long trip that went by too fast! The last several days of my trip were spent where my trainer lives so I could spend some time with my puppy in training. It was wonderful! And boy has she grown!! She is seven months old and nearly as tall as my current service dog (who is now starting the retiring process). Interestingly, her black color has a brownish tint to it compared with the black on my current service dog, but you really only notice it if they are right near each other or if my puppy is in a sunbeam. I have decided that I will get her mobility harness made in black leather (as opposed to off-white and tan like my current service dog's harness, or any other brown shade they are made in).

I got to work with my puppy on basic commands and a few tasks, plus joined my trainer and her in public. I got to have a good, long snuggle with my puppy on my last day, too.

It was a good trip, but bittersweet knowing it was my current service dog's last one. She showed me on the trip that she is ready to retire now, though. I love this girl and really wished dogs' lives were a lot longer!!!!

Oh, and when I had a layover in the Atlanta airport, I used their service dog potty van service. I would definitely not recommend it if you have a short layover, as it took twenty minutes just for the van driver to come to the gate of my inbound flight and then it was a long drive to the potty area (just some grass on the side of the road), but the plus is he drives you right to your outgoing flight gate! There are elevators or stairs to use, depending on your abilities, and I needed the elevators. The vehicle was a regular van, and I don't believe there was a wheelchair lift/ramp in the back (but I could be wrong, since I didn't go behind the vehicle). It also really needed a good vacuuming of all the dog fur on the floor (so gross!). The driver was nice and helped with my carry-ons, which was nice.

If you want to use the service, I recommend you ask one of the guys who push airport wheelchairs for passengers. They will make a phone call. I don't know if you can talk to someone in advance to request it or not, as doing that might eliminate the long wait for the van. The airline must give him a list of all service dogs (and possibly emotional support dogs) and their flight information, as he had a long list print-out that included my name and gate info. I had to sign something before he took us out. We went out through a gate door and onto the elevator just inside of said door. When we got off the elevator, we went outside onto the tarmac where the van was parked a few steps away. It was pretty interesting driving on the tarmac, dodging planes and luggage vehicles and other stuff! When we got to my outbound gate (actually, a gate a few gates away due to there only being an elevator at certain gates - if you can do stairs, you can do any gate), we went inside to an elevator and exited through a gate door into the terminal. He would have walked me to my gate, but I needed to make a pit stop of my own, so said goodbye to him near the bathrooms. I did be sure to give him a tip!

So, it does take a while (not something for those quick 45-minute layovers), but you don't have to go on the trains between terminals or walk between far gates, so that's a big plus!

A cell phone photo for your viewing pleasure. :D

It certainly was a pleasure - Portugese Water Dogs - they are so beautiful and I imagine their coat is so soft and snuggly? It's amazing the different breeds - before I started this journey, I just thought black or yellow labs. How wrong was I!

That's interesting about the potty van - who would know!

It will be a transition for you - how old will your new pup be when she comes to work with you?

How is your big girl doing - keeping well I trust. :) I know exactly what you mean about how short a time we have with our four legged pals, it's not nearly long enough is it?

Sunday, was the one year anniversary for my Brenda. I can't believe it. I loved her so much and miss her every day! She was truly my hero and I'll love her forever. I still have video's of her walking to the potty box onboard one of our cruises. She was brilliantly smart. She only had to be shown something one time and the next time, I could take off her leash and ask her to go and I could follow behind as she would lead the way!

She taught me so much about patience and love. About being kind, gentle and giving!

Thank you Brenda Elizabeth for being in my life for helping me to start this thread so that others could enjoy cruising as much as you did!!!! Brenda's my avatar!

Goodness me, is it a year already? She has truly left a wonderful legacy and she will never know just how much she influenced lives across the world.

So rest in peace dear Brenda Elizabeth, yours are very big paw prints to follow. :). Big Cyber Hugs to you Roz.

Edited by fairbourne

Goodness me, is it a year already? She has truly left a wonderful legacy and she will never know just how much she influenced lives across the world. So rest in peace dear Brenda Elizabeth, yours are very big paw prints to follow. :). Big Cyber Hugs to you Roz.

X2....Last night, I wanted to reply, Roz, but couldn't find the right words. Fairbourne found them so eloquently. Hugs from me, too.

I kind of feel like I knew her. I'm still at the under 100 mark on the beginning posts, but your love for her shines through. I hope she is running and playing as I truly do believe there is a heaven for dogs. Hugs to you.

Roz, thank you for sharing your dear Brenda Elizabeth with all of us! Eating lunch at my desk as I read this thread and cannot keep back the tears. She has been a true inspiration for all of us!

Thanks!

Beckie

Fairborne, so glad you could post the picture of Wexler and company heading out on their next grand adventure! DH and I were on the highway headed out of town for short overnight getaway. So didn't have any way to log on and watch their ship leaving. I actually called my daughter and asked her to log on and watch for my cyber friends' ship and banner. She thought I was a bit nuts, but did it to humor me. Then she got hooked on listening to all the port radio traffic! She did a screen shot and saved it to a pdf document so that I could see it when we got back home. Really happy that they made it out of Boston.

Thanks again for sharing!

Beckie