Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I actually did download the form and had it with me, but they said they it would be easier for them to do it on their computer and just print it out.

Question... How many copies of the certificate should I bring with me, and do I ever have to hand over the original to anyone, or should I keep it for myself?

Cindra

I make 3 copies [one for registration, one for immigration and one for the ship.] No one has ever questioned the copies and requested an original. You may keep the original for yourself.

Hi All!!!! We were so lucky to make it out Sunday. It was snowing when we left and we were nervous we wouldn't get out. They had to deice the plane which I wasn't thrilled with. We have been trying to check the weather. We wouldn't want to get stuck in Florida and not be able to get home!! ;) Talk to you soon.

Cindy

Yay!!!!! Wonderful news! Have a super, duper time. We miss you! ♥

Edited by wizard-of-roz

You are probably already aware of this, but just in case since this is your first cruise with a service dog...when you are on board ship, you should never give the dog any "people food" in public venues.

I am new to this, also, but in my experience on Celebrity and Holland America (my next cruise in April), issues like that are covered in the form you sign. I've never been on Princess, but would guess it's also a no-no along with the dog being anywhere but the floor (not on furniture in lounges, dining room, on pool furniture, etc.) Others who have cruised Princess, feel free to chime in.

Pedro sounds like a small dog, which other passengers will interpret as not a "real" service dog (even though we all know many small dogs perform specific tasks to assist people with disabilities.) You have said you plan to have fun with dressing him up a bit, and other people inevitably will be watching you. They will notice if he is begging for ice cream on board and you give in, for example. You don't want to give the cruiseline a reason to ask you to leave the ship. (And violating their policies or getting complaints from other passengers, of course, makes it harder for the next dog team on board.)

Meanwhile, good luck with the last step in your paperwork. The certificate does not have a place to indicate service dog (it's irrelevant anyway, since all dogs have to be healthy to enter various countries, and the form is the proof.)

BUT by bringing your proof he is a service dog to the USDA office, you save their fee for stamping the form.

Hope all these tips help.

Chris, well said! When we cruise with our dogs we are paving the way for the next team. We represent each and every one of us in our journey to prove that a legitimate Service Dog acts with respect and professionalism at all times.

We do have fun with our dogs but only when the timing is right. And, we NEVER feed our dogs in the restaurants and NEVER give them people food!

If you have a habit of giving your dog something special; like Horton who loves his rice cakes, do it in the privacy of your cabin.

Warning - a whole LOT of photos!

I took photos at the graduation ceremony on Saturday, and then the next day for the celebration of the "I, J & K" litters' birthdays.

Graduation:

https://www.facebook.com/hollysumner.ff/media_set?set=a.10152691175038543.1073741843.535573542&type=1&pnref=story

Birthday Party:

https://www.facebook.com/hollysumner.ff/media_set?set=a.10152690218468543.1073741842.535573542&type=1&pnref=story

Chris and Roz,

Have no fear. I do know the rules on board. Yes, Princess does not allow feeding people food to the dogs or sitting on the furniture. I will not give in to any begging or sad eyes from Pedro(...unless it is in the privacy of our cabin.;))

Since he is a little dog, will they frown upon him sitting on my lap? Just wondering about that... When it gets crowded, we will put him in the doggie sling and carry him.

Today, I had my appointment at the USDA APHIS office...or should I say, vestibule...:rolleyes: I walked in and saw a man behind a window, like at a subway ticket booth. I told him I had an appointment, thinking they would buzz me in eventually. Nope. The man said to slide my documents under his window. He then told me to sit, because I had to wait for the head vet to get out of a meeting. I guess making an appointment doesn't mean the same thing to them. I sat in this freezing cold vestibule for 40 minutes before I got a shout from the man behind the glass that my docs were signed, sealed and ready to go. In the meantime, a man walked in for the same reason that I was there, with the 1:30 appointment( I had the 1:00). We started to chat. He was wondering how long I was waiting. This was not his first time traveling with his dog, so he was used to the process. Funny thing was that he was headed to Costa Rica...one of our ports. He was headed to the west coast though. Before we knew it, they called to me that my documents were ready. As I put them into my folder, they called the other guy too. His wait was maybe 10 minutes, total.:cool: From there, I drove over to the nearby Staples and faxed the docs to Princess. Got an email confirmation from them tonight. Phew...done! On the way home, I picked up some more cat food and bird food for the rest of the family, while we are gone. Five days until we board the Coral Princess...three days until we start the drive down. I'm keeping my eyes on the weather, as there could be some snow on Saturday. I'm hoping it comes from the west and it doesn't start until later in the day, when we will be far enough south of it.

Don't worry. We will make you proud.

Cindra

PS: I wound up making 8 copies of all of the documents, just in case.

Edited by tvaud

I took photos at the graduation ceremony on Saturday, and then the next day for the celebration of the "I, J & K" litters' birthdays.

Graduation:

https://www.facebook.com/hollysumner.ff/media_set?set=a.10152691175038543.1073741843.535573542&type=1&pnref=story

Birthday Party:

https://www.facebook.com/hollysumner.ff/media_set?set=a.10152690218468543.1073741842.535573542&type=1&pnref=story

Great pics!

Cindra,

Please take lots of photos on your cruise! Have to see Pedro in his fine wear. :)

Don't worry. I will try to take pics of him whenever I can on board and in each port...being creative in Jamaica, of course.

..Yes, Princess does not allow feeding people food to the dogs or sitting on the furniture. ....

Since he is a little dog, will they frown upon him sitting on my lap? Just wondering about that... When it gets crowded, we will put him in the doggie sling and carry him.

I wish Colleen (MCDW) was "around" but haven't heard from her lately here. She cruises with her small hearing-ear dog, Misty, and could give advice. (Raylene is such a chunk, I'd be squashed if she sat on my lap, so I'm no help with this one.)

Don't you feel relieved to have that paperwork done against all obstacles?! Whew! Had to laugh at the "subway ticket booth" at the USDA. I'm already slightly dreading starting on the forms for our April sailing, but at least I know more now what to expect.

We know you're going to do us proud, Cindra! Have a great cruise!

Yes, photos! Just use a big zoom lens for Jamaica.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Graduation:

Birthday Party:

Loved, loved, loved these photos! I am so jealous of the cameraderie. Dogs for the Deaf delivers their hearing dogs around the country, one by one, for individual recipient training, so we don't get a graduation! (Not that I'm really complaining.)

That birthday party shot of all the goldens in their party hats is priceless.

I looked up your SD organization -in Deland, right? My Uncle and parents all lived at John Knox Village in the 1990s, so we visited Deland often. I loved the town.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

I looked up your SD organization -in Deland, right? My Uncle and parents all lived at John Knox Village in the 1990s, so we visited Deland often. I loved the town.

Yes, the organization is in Deland. It's just under 40 miles from where I live, so I'm glad I get to participate. Deland is such a cute town. In fact, they do an annual dog parade in January each year.

They don't do hearing dogs per se, but the plan is to train my dog with some hearing tasks. I'm deaf in my left ear, and the right is declining. I can function in a hearing world, but things may change.

I love photography and used to do quite a bit. I'm just getting back into it. Due to physical stuff I can't get down on the ground to do shots, but I'm working with what I can do. It's such a joy to photograph the dogs and their people.

Some of the dogs are such hams!

Chris and Roz,

Have no fear. I do know the rules on board. Yes, Princess does not allow feeding people food to the dogs or sitting on the furniture. I will not give in to any begging or sad eyes from Pedro(...unless it is in the privacy of our cabin.;))

Today, I had my appointment at the USDA APHIS office...or should I say, vestibule...:rolleyes: I walked in and saw a man behind a window, like at a subway ticket booth. I told him I had an appointment, thinking they would buzz me in eventually. Nope. The man said to slide my documents under his window. He then told me to sit, because I had to wait for the head vet to get out of a meeting. I guess making an appointment doesn't mean the same thing to them. I sat in this freezing cold vestibule for 40 minutes before I got a shout from the man behind the glass that my docs were signed, sealed and ready to go. In the meantime, a man walked in for the same reason that I was there, with the 1:30 appointment( I had the 1:00). We started to chat. He was wondering how long I was waiting. This was not his first time traveling with his dog, so he was used to the process. Funny thing was that he was headed to Costa Rica...one of our ports. He was headed to the west coast though. Before we knew it, they called to me that my documents were ready. As I put them into my folder, they called the other guy too. His wait was maybe 10 minutes, total.:cool: From there, I drove over to the nearby Staples and faxed the docs to Princess. Got an email confirmation from them tonight. Phew...done! On the way home, I picked up some more cat food and bird food for the rest of the family, while we are gone. Five days until we board the Coral Princess...three days until we start the drive down. I'm keeping my eyes on the weather, as there could be some snow on Saturday. I'm hoping it comes from the west and it doesn't start until later in the day, when we will be far enough south of it.

Don't worry. We will make you proud.

Cindra

PS: I wound up making 8 copies of all of the documents, just in case.

Of course Pedro may sit on your lap, just make sure he's not "surfing" the table when you're at the restaurant and that he's only doing his job or in a "down/stay!" I sometimes wish that Horton could sit on my lap and so does he!

My girlfriend has a Seizure/Alert Dog and she MUST be sitting next to her no matter where that may be. We've traveled together and when the dog is sitting on the couch, she does get lots of looks but in order for the dog to catch the before stages of the seizure and lick my friends face, she must be able to sense her body chemistry and being on the floor, with all it's distracting scents doesn't work for her dog!

You must be getting so excited! I know that a week or two before my cruise is always so hectic but so much fun! I love the anticipation thing, it's part of the whole experience!!!! ;)

Graduation:

Birthday Party:

The lady standing at the podium with her tissue in hand and tears reminds me of what that day felt like. No one could truly explain it, I'll try......... The PuppyRaisers have done their job and they're handing the dog to the Graduate and goosies come all over your body.......the tears flow and the realization that the dog who you've raised and worked so hard with will be going off with a new Mommy or Daddy. And, will become their working partner, through everything they do in their life! It's a miracle, amazing, wonderful, scary and so everlasting!!!!

Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures with us!

FYI: In case anyone is looking for really good cedar shavings for dogs potty box or animal bedding in general. I went to Lowe's and found the best cedar shavings. It's neatly packaged and half the bale filled a 5'x3' box. It's very compact in packaging so it may not look like it will completely fill this size box but boy did it!!!!

Morey had made two boxes on our patio one filled with sod 4'x4' and another filled with small stones 4'x5' [both had artificial turf] covering them so they always looked very green and nice. The sod box gets very heavy and attracts bugs....the stone filled box didn't really do well with the liquid......especially for a 90lb boy! For Brenda either would have worked great.

I like covering them with the artificial turf. It's easy to hose down and it stays looking good for years. It's a bit pricey but it pays for itself and the dogs like stepping on it.

I could really roll up the 4'x4' piece of artificial turf and bring it on a cruise or to Las Vegas with me. I've done that when I was in a hotel in San Diego and had no idea where Horton would be relieving himself. I brought along some extra large puddle pads, placed the turf with pads underneath and it was so easy. I brought along some large trash bags and placed the soiled pads in them when I left and put the turf in the shower for a cleaning........I always pick up the solids and flush it. If your hotel room doesn't have a patio and the bathroom doesn't have enough floor space this will not work. I would NEVER do this on carpeting.

Loved, loved, loved these photos! I am so jealous of the cameraderie. Dogs for the Deaf delivers their hearing dogs around the country, one by one, for individual recipient training, so we don't get a graduation! (Not that I'm really complaining.)

Yes me too - we don't have a graduation ceremony, Aruba will go and then we will know how's she doing until she finishes her formal training, then it's up to the Guide Dog Owner to choose to let us know - or not! The onus is on them. I'm just know I'm going to be going through a feeling sad phase when she goes and I do think a graduation ceremony would help alleviate a lot of these feelings. I would truly appreciate knowing "my baby" was going to be in good, kind hands and although you are not looking for "new best friends", I would just be happier seeing her interact with her new family.

Ah well, it is what it is - but I will need a huge box of tissues Roz, not just the one! ;):eek:

Yes me too - we don't have a graduation ceremony, Aruba will go and then we will know how's she doing until she finishes her formal training, then it's up to the Guide Dog Owner to choose to let us know - or not! The onus is on them. I'm just know I'm going to be going through a feeling sad phase when she goes and I do think a graduation ceremony would help alleviate a lot of these feelings. I would truly appreciate knowing "my baby" was going to be in good, kind hands and although you are not looking for "new best friends", I would just be happier seeing her interact with her new family.

Ah well, it is what it is - but I will need a huge box of tissues Roz, not just the one! ;):eek:

Oh! Fairbourne, stop, you're going to have us all balling before we need to. God knows when that day comes we're all going to be a mess. What's the date that you'll be turning her in? I need fair warning!

We'll all be here for you.......we'll ALL be a mess but we'll be here!!!!! ♥

Hi Roz, well we've worked it out based on current "events" to probably be sometime in June. However, the DH met a fellow puppy walker who told him that there are currently more pups than spots at the training centre, so folk are keeping their pups for a bit longer. I don't know if this is true or urban myth!

Thank goodness we cancelled our holiday in May - there is no way I could hand her over to anyone for her last couple of weeks before formal training! But we do have a cruise planned for late summer - planned so we had a break before we took charge of another little one needing some loving and help growing up!

Oh I was balling reading your earlier post about the graduation day. :eek:

I don't know if I want too much notice - but again I don't want a phone call telling me they're coming for her the next day either!

Hi Roz, well we've worked it out based on current "events" to probably be sometime in June. However, the DH met a fellow puppy walker who told him that there are currently more pups than spots at the training centre, so folk are keeping their pups for a bit longer. I don't know if this is true or urban myth!

Thank goodness we cancelled our holiday in May - there is no way I could hand her over to anyone for her last couple of weeks before formal training! But we do have a cruise planned for late summer - planned so we had a break before we took charge of another little one needing some loving and help growing up!

Oh I was balling reading your earlier post about the graduation day. :eek:

I don't know if I want too much notice - but again I don't want a phone call telling me they're coming for her the next day either!

Fairbourne, can you imagine getting a phone call the day before.......no way!!!

I'm so glad that you're talking about doing another one after our Miss Aruba goes to formal training. That will be good for you and us too! ;)

CCI lets the PuppyRaiser know that their dog will be graduating to give them a chance to come to the ceremony. They give us [the graduate] the name, address, email of the PuppyRaiser if given, and leave it up to us to make further contact.

I wanted to know everything about my dog so I kept in contact. Neither one of my dogs PuppyRaisers were good record keepers or picture takers. CCI had to "beg" Brenda's PR's to find pictures of her as a pup. So lame, if you know your dog may be leaving and the folks who will be getting the dog have absolutely no idea of what their dog looked like as a pup......please take pictures. Some graduates in my class were given actual journals of their pups, with pictures to go with it.

I started to tear-up when I met Brenda's PR's and all they had were 4 pictures of her - 13 months with this beautiful, amazing dog and all they gave me were 4 pictures. :(

Horton's PR's only had a few pictures too! These Black Labs are so, so cute as puppies......they look like little monkey's and all they could take were a "few" pictures! I begged them to find more and their daughter found some that she had at her house and she scanned and emailed them to me. Seriously, why bother to go to all the trouble of putting so much time and energy into a dog and not even take a picture or two?

These dogs have watershed moments in their lives...such as: the day they move into your house; their first day on a train, in your car, a day at the beach or when they open a door or just sit and stay. The day they get their nose stuck in a toilet paper roll.....So many moments to take a picture and share it with their forever family.

I wish Colleen (MCDW) was "around" but haven't heard from her lately here. She cruises with her small hearing-ear dog, Misty, and could give advice. (Raylene is such a chunk, I'd be squashed if she sat on my lap, so I'm no help with this one.)

Don't you feel relieved to have that paperwork done against all obstacles?! Whew! Had to laugh at the "subway ticket booth" at the USDA. I'm already slightly dreading starting on the forms for our April sailing, but at least I know more now what to expect.

We know you're going to do us proud, Cindra! Have a great cruise!

Yes, photos! Just use a big zoom lens for Jamaica.

Yes, it is a huge relief to get the paperwork out of the way. Today, I had to deal with the car. It turned into a huge expense, as the car needed new brakes and rotors...AND a new tire, since that one had a slash in it...and the oil change it went in for. I guess I won't be getting any big emeralds in Colombia...:cool:

The camera bag is ready to go, so you can expect a few pics to be posted. :)

Cindra

Of course Pedro may sit on your lap, just make sure he's not "surfing" the table when you're at the restaurant and that he's only doing his job or in a "down/stay!" I sometimes wish that Horton could sit on my lap and so does he!

My girlfriend has a Seizure/Alert Dog and she MUST be sitting next to her no matter where that may be. We've traveled together and when the dog is sitting on the couch, she does get lots of looks but in order for the dog to catch the before stages of the seizure and lick my friends face, she must be able to sense her body chemistry and being on the floor, with all it's distracting scents doesn't work for her dog!

You must be getting so excited! I know that a week or two before my cruise is always so hectic but so much fun! I love the anticipation thing, it's part of the whole experience!!!! ;)

That's good to hear, as Pedro is happiest on a lap. He is usually attached to Bill most of the time. This evening, Pedro went into action, as Bill witnessed a driver hit a cat. The person didn't even stop. Bill got out of his car, stopped traffic, and picked up the cat and gave it back to the owner. He is so sensitive to animals that when he got home, he was so upset. Pedro immediately picked up on this and was right in his face. He didn't leave Bill's chest until the tears stopped, then sat on his shoulders for a while. Can you imagine Horton doing that...?:eek: He's like a fur stole. LOL It's amazing how these little guys can pick up on the chemical changes. It's also helpful that they can be held like babies. Dog hugs are the best.

I am excited...but have been so busy this week, that I haven't been thinking about it as much as I usually do. This week went by so fast, that I hope I am ready by Saturday morning.

Yes, anticipation is half the fun.

Cindra

Fairbourne, can you imagine getting a phone call the day before.......no way!!!

I'm so glad that you're talking about doing another one after our Miss Aruba goes to formal training. That will be good for you and us too! ;)

CCI lets the PuppyRaiser know that their dog will be graduating to give them a chance to come to the ceremony. They give us [the graduate] the name, address, email of the PuppyRaiser if given, and leave it up to us to make further contact.

I wanted to know everything about my dog so I kept in contact. Neither one of my dogs PuppyRaisers were good record keepers or picture takers. CCI had to "beg" Brenda's PR's to find pictures of her as a pup. So lame, if you know your dog may be leaving and the folks who will be getting the dog have absolutely no idea of what their dog looked like as a pup......please take pictures. Some graduates in my class were given actual journals of their pups, with pictures to go with it.

I started to tear-up when I met Brenda's PR's and all they had were 4 pictures of her - 13 months with this beautiful, amazing dog and all they gave me were 4 pictures. :(

Horton's PR's only had a few pictures too! These Black Labs are so, so cute as puppies......they look like little monkey's and all they could take were a "few" pictures! I begged them to find more and their daughter found some that she had at her house and she scanned and emailed them to me. Seriously, why bother to go to all the trouble of putting so much time and energy into a dog and not even take a picture or two?

These dogs have watershed moments in their lives...such as: the day they move into your house; their first day on a train, in your car, a day at the beach or when they open a door or just sit and stay. The day they get their nose stuck in a toilet paper roll.....So many moments to take a picture and share it with their forever family.

I have loads of photos of Aruba, the problem will be choosing the ones to go in her album! I think I'm also going to put more on a CD or a memory stick so her new person can view them, and if they can't see them, then I'm sure they will have family and friends who will be able to describe the photos to them. I did ask a lady who is blind about this and she said yes, please do it.

I also feel very sad sometimes that someone who is blind will never see Aruba's beautiful face, or look into her deep kind eyes, BUT they will be able to feel her soft velvet ears, her Tufty bits on the top of her head, her gentle mouth, the gorgeous pressure when she sits close and leans into you, her head when she nuzzles you on the arm when her tummy clock tells her it's "time for tea", her hot breath when she comes running back to you, her soft fat belly when she rolls over for a belly rub, and if she thinks you have a treat in your pocket,she will literally sit on your feet (when you're sitting down of course!).

I'm also keeping an album for us and her very first name tag which is a tiny puppy one!

We may (will) have another pup, but Miss Aruba will always be number one, the first and a very special girl. Can you tell I just love this girl to bits? :D

That's good to hear, as Pedro is happiest on a lap. He is usually attached to Bill most of the time. This evening, Pedro went into action, as Bill witnessed a driver hit a cat. The person didn't even stop. Bill got out of his car, stopped traffic, and picked up the cat and gave it back to the owner. He is so sensitive to animals that when he got home, he was so upset. Pedro immediately picked up on this and was right in his face. He didn't leave Bill's chest until the tears stopped, then sat on his shoulders for a while. Can you imagine Horton doing that...?:eek: He's like a fur stole. LOL It's amazing how these little guys can pick up on the chemical changes. It's also helpful that they can be held like babies. Dog hugs are the best.

I am excited...but have been so busy this week, that I haven't been thinking about it as much as I usually do. This week went by so fast, that I hope I am ready by Saturday morning.

Yes, anticipation is half the fun.

Cindra

Yikes - can't imagine any of these great big galumphs of labs as fur stoles!!! We'd be flattened! :eek: but we get hugs and Poppy still likes to climb on my lap for big hugs when she needs a proper Mummy Hug! Thankfully the big boy Max doesn't want to do this! LOL!

I think it's amazing what Pedro does for your DH - and your DH for not leaving the poor cat - it's someone's much loved pet too.

One more sleep and you're off ..... Any webcams you want us to wave at??? :p:D