Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Fairborne, how old is Aruba now?

She's 14 and a half months old! She came to us one year ago on 20 May 2014, aged 12 weeks, and we knew we would have the pleasure of her company for about a year, so it will be just over that when she goes.

Now Nancy, no tears today anyway .... If you had seen her atrocious behaviour today, you would have been saying "when are you going to school?"!!! I know I was! ;):rolleyes:

She is going through a total refusing to go out stage and it takes me about 20 minutes to get her out of the garden gate and into the car! She runs up the back garden and lies down and I'm sure thinks it's hilarious. Phew, it's no fun when a 35 kilo dog just refuses to move and literally digs her paws in! I've tried everything!

But finally we set off and once in the town, she hopped out of the car, no problems and we set off for a walk around the town, visiting the bank, and a couple of other places before our last planned stop - a quick visit into the supermarket to get a few things for supper tonight. Everything was fine until she just stopped dead outside another bank and refused to move. And I mean refused to move. For whatever reason she did not want to go further along that street! So I had to turn around and take another route as I was not going to "argue" with her and make us both stressed out!

So back to the car to pick up some shopping bags - all the stores here in the UK charge 5p for a carrier bag, even take away restaurants. So we take our own bags. Well like I said earlier this was to be the final stop, but she just refused point blank to move - again! So I gave up as the last thing we want is a stressed out dog. Happily jumped into her box in the car and off we came home. Can I say "brat" on here? No dinner tonight! LOL!

This is the absolute worst she has been - she was great in one store, greeting a very nice family and waiting patiently while I paid etc., but this refusenik behaviour is a worry. I'm sure they will sort it out at school, and I believe a lot of it is her not wanting to leave Max and Poppy behind! Little Madame!

Anyway she is flat out napping now and I'm about to attack a very nice piece of Victoria Sponge cake with a cup of tea - I think I've earned it! LOL!

Jagger is also in the teenager stage and although the sweetest boy, sometimes we want him to do something and it's like, "nope, not so much". :)

Bu then again, don't we love them all the more because of their personalities and things they do?

I know Aruba will change someone's life!

Holly

Well, we would love to do all of this again ..... But and its a big but, we are going to wait until we see how Madame Aruba gets on. And we have a cruise planned for late summer - and I think our two, who have been so good with her, need a wee break themselves and all of my attention for a few weeks.

But I've heard these Guide Dog folk have a habit of turning up with a new pup before you can say "cheerio" to the first one! LOL! And I don't think I would be able to say "no" if that happened!

My DH keeps telling me they gave us such a smasher this time to guarantee us having another one! :rolleyes:

I spent the afternoon today starting work on Aruba's photo album, and looking back I can't believe how fast this year has gone! She spent the afternoon snoring at my feet! :D

When those trainers see what a great job you did with Aruba, they will have another pup knocking at your front door before you know it. :D

She's 14 and a half months old! She came to us one year ago on 20 May 2014, aged 12 weeks, and we knew we would have the pleasure of her company for about a year, so it will be just over that when she goes.

Now Nancy, no tears today anyway .... If you had seen her atrocious behaviour today, you would have been saying "when are you going to school?"!!! I know I was! ;):rolleyes:

She is going through a total refusing to go out stage and it takes me about 20 minutes to get her out of the garden gate and into the car! She runs up the back garden and lies down and I'm sure thinks it's hilarious. Phew, it's no fun when a 35 kilo dog just refuses to move and literally digs her paws in! I've tried everything!

But finally we set off and once in the town, she hopped out of the car, no problems and we set off for a walk around the town, visiting the bank, and a couple of other places before our last planned stop - a quick visit into the supermarket to get a few things for supper tonight. Everything was fine until she just stopped dead outside another bank and refused to move. And I mean refused to move. For whatever reason she did not want to go further along that street! So I had to turn around and take another route as I was not going to "argue" with her and make us both stressed out!

So back to the car to pick up some shopping bags - all the stores here in the UK charge 5p for a carrier bag, even take away restaurants. So we take our own bags. Well like I said earlier this was to be the final stop, but she just refused point blank to move - again! So I gave up as the last thing we want is a stressed out dog. Happily jumped into her box in the car and off we came home. Can I say "brat" on here? No dinner tonight! LOL!

This is the absolute worst she has been - she was great in one store, greeting a very nice family and waiting patiently while I paid etc., but this refusenik behaviour is a worry. I'm sure they will sort it out at school, and I believe a lot of it is her not wanting to leave Max and Poppy behind! Little Madame!

Anyway she is flat out napping now and I'm about to attack a very nice piece of Victoria Sponge cake with a cup of tea - I think I've earned it! LOL!

You have most definitely earned it! She is a character.

Dianne

DKD - be thinking about you and Davis tomorrow. Give him a big hug from me and Aruba, and send him on his way with his head held high. You've done a great job with this gorgeous boy - he's had the best start growing up with your family. :)

Roz,

I know that Gibson will appreciate all the extra hugs that you specified. He really never lacks in that department though. Yesterday I was leaning over in the back seat of the car to adjust Diana's oxygen concentrator. Gibson thought his Grammie must be in need of an ear lick. NO, thank you very much! Well then, if Grammie was going to stay leaning over in his space of the car she must need a hug. (He really does give hugs, wish I could post a video for you to see.) Needless to say my hair didn't look the same when I stood up.

I would say that maybe age 100 might be too old to care for a Service Dog. So you have many years of faithful service from CCI dogs ahead of you. :rolleyes:

You did something really wonderful when you started this thread. There is not a single one of us that can imagine life without our daily Roz and service partner fix.

Beckie

Beckie you are such a lovely lady! Your story of Gibson hugging you and what your hair looked like was so cute.

I must give all the credit for this thread to BRENDA ELIZABETH, she instilled such loving kindness and work ethic that it just had to be shared with everyone in space.

I learned so much from her and will always be grateful for the life that she gave me and the joy that she brought to everyone she met!

As someone on CCI's waiting list, thank you, thank you, thank you for raising Davis. Whoever ends up with Davis is going to be eternally grateful. I can only imagine how hard it is going to be to give him up, but he will change someone else's life.

Dianne

Oh! My! He is such a handsome dude!

Orson, I know what you've taught these pups has not gone unnoticed! I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it for myself. Brenda literally pushed Horton at times when he was acting like a dufus.......I know that Orson must have had some teachable moments too!

I love the visual of him barring the door from anymore "trouble" coming in!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Thanks me too! I have been on the waiting list for almost a year and a half - so hopefully it will happen soon.

Dianne

Dianne, I know that the wait seems like an eternity.......Hang on......Once you make it to Team Training the time will literally fly by!!!!

I remember how each day seemed like an eternity waiting for that CCI Logo on every piece of mail I got. I still get goose bumps when I get a letter from CCI.

We're all waiting with you. I remember when John was waiting for Wexler, it seemed like forever. We all shared in their joy as we will with you! I promise ♥

Fairbourne, he is a big-bad-boy! I think it has a little bit to do with leaving his dog family behind and a lot to do with, "let me see what I can get away with!"

Horton refuses to get into my SUV on the first command.....he will dilly and dally around and then when I do a quick correction on the leash he will go into the car. I'm not a big believer in that "quick/jerk" thing [i know CCI encourages it] but, I think the spoken word should be enough!

I've learned to use the word "cookie" as Horton's enhancement to move or do something. I waited until he was laying down near me, I had some pieces of bologna, cheese [something he's not used to eating and that I knew he'd love] and I said the words "cookie, here" and he got up and investigated. I gave him a small sample, changed my sitting area and repeated "cookie, here." The next time he practically knocked me over coming to me!

I gave him the command to sit/stay and I walked out of the room, he couldn't see me. I repeated "cookie, here!" Again, he rushed to me and got a small reward! He's a quick learner!

The next morning Horton and I went down to my car to go to work. I opened both back doors and walked around to the door he usually goes into - The usual command for him to enter my car is "car!" I said it - He did what he usually does......looks around, sniffs the car, sniffs the runner but doesn't enter. I asked him to sit/say, walked around to the other door and said, "Horton; cookie-car", he literally jumped onto the back seat and I rewarded him. You can only do this if it's SAFE. I park in an underground/gated garage and had a friend hold his leash.

Now, he jumps right in on just the command "car!" And, every once in a while I do have something for him. He's such a foodie!!!!!

If I want him to listen to me.....I say his name and then I say the word "cookie", you should see his ears perk up and how he stays very close in anticipation of something good coming!

DKD......The day is coming......I'm sending a warm/loving hug to you and your family, both human and furry.

I know you will have a tear for this beautiful boy and all that he brought to your lives. You've done another amazing job at getting a "Hero" ready to assist someone in their daily life.THANK YOU! ♥

Fairbourne, Aruba is getting ready for her big day too! What a job you've done with her!

I hope her surgery goes well and soon she'll be saying good bye!

This is too much for our senses. I'm happy and sad for all of you!THANK YOU for being so brave to take on this amazing task♥

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz - unless I missed it...don't you owe us a review of Horton's and your grand-children's last cruise?

If I did miss it please point me and Lucy in the right direction!

Keith

Keith, I think Roz is doing the family cruise in June. I'm looking forward to those stories!

Beckie

Fairborne, oh my! What a naughty puppy Aruba is currently being! I think you deserve some chocolate!!! Don't give up!

She is and I Do, I DO!!! LOL!

This morning, after a planned exit the marines would have been proud of (more on that later) - Aruba and I set off in the car to the vet for her spay operation. She was fine, I was a bit anxious and telling myself she would be fine.

Bounced out of the car at the vet's practice, had a little walk around and headed on in - the receptionists in there are lovely and always smiling. Then pretty much straight in for her pre-op check and hey ho, little missy is having a false pregnancy! Oh oh! So no op today, back in two weeks time for a check and then we will schedule the op after that.

I don't know whether I was relieved or not! I was glad however that I hadn't yet transformed our dining room into my temporary bedroom to sleep downstairs with her tonight as if she's restless we wouldn't necessarily hear her from upstairs.

So a rapturous welcome when we got home - no-one had had any breakfast, in fact the dogs had had nothing at all since tea-time yesterday!

Ah yes, our planned exit. Well I've told you how naughty she's been at leaving the house lately, I just knew I didn't want to be faffing around at 7.30 in the morning, "persuading" her to get out! And I wouldn't be able to use any treats. Not that they worked anyway these days! Roz, I'm sure bits of human food would definitely work, but she's not allowed any human food at all.

So I decided that if I led her to believe we were ALL going out then she would happily trot alongside Max to the car. Well this worked and she was in the car, locked in her box and Max popped back inside before you could say "naughty girl"! If you could have seen the look on her face! LOL! Mum 1, Aruba 0 - today anyway!

Oh! My! He is such a handsome dude!

Orson, I know what you've taught these pups has not gone unnoticed! I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it for myself. Brenda literally pushed Horton at times when he was acting like a dufus.......I know that Orson must have had some teachable moments too!

I love the visual of him barring the door from anymore "trouble" coming in!

I second this - our two dogs have been such great teachers and doggy companions for Aruba that she is confindent and relaxed at meeting any dog whilst we are out and knows doggy boundaries.

I'm sure Davis will have benefitted enormously for having Orson to show him the way too. Davis and family - I'm thinking about you all today.

I was also thinking about this "new trouble" arriving yesterday, when we met the newest guide dog pup - a German Shepherd called Draco, all big toffee paws, black floppy ears and I did laugh when he jumped on Aruba's head! Talk about coming full circle! No photos as it was an unexpected meeting in town, but I will take some at the next puppy class. He's a darling, but strong already and apparently doesn't really like cuddles. But he wasn't feeling too well the other day and came and asked for a cuddle on his puppy walkers lap. German shepherds were the first breed used for Guide Dogs in the UK.

I love these descriptions of tricks!

"Cookies" for Horton, and a faux "car trip with Max for Aruba" - great ideas. We human partners must use whatever works on our bred-to-be-extra-smart dogs.

I need to dig into the trick bag because Raylene is obsessed with the springtime frogs and lizards just as she was last year. Too much pulling and yanking on our loose-leash fun walks (and forget about "leave it") when she spots one on the move!

Roz, thanks for the reminder, which I'd forgotten, that special tidbits can work wonders. The only human food Raylene's trainer allowed was hot dogs or mozzarella sticks, chopped into tiny bits, for times when I really needed her strongest interest during our first training week together at my house. Boy, did Raylene pay attention when those came out!

Another little trick Raylene's trainer suggested was to microwave some of the hot dog chunks with a handful of cheerios or her regular kibble to soak up a bit of the juice flavor - and use that as a special training treat, too.

We are moving to Florida in June (lots of frogs and lizards!) and I'll need to spend some time training Raylene on new sounds there - a different microwave, doorbell, clothes dryer buzz, etc. than she is accustomed to alerting me for.

I'd better buy a few hot dogs when we move.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Chris. - I think you've hit the nail on the head totally! We train them to be super smart, and then we wonder why they "challenge" us when we want them to do something they don't want to! :rolleyes:

I did hear on the puppy walker grapevine that they do use liver sausage at formal training - tiny bits, like your hot dogs! But we puppy walkers are not supposed to know this of course! ;):)

Ah moving to Florida .... We seem to visit very briefly, usually after getting off a cruise ship! But last time we had a lovely few days at Palm beach at The Breakers thanks to a very nice deal with American Express!

Well I wish you well with your move and all the new challenges with frogs and lizards - what about the alligators???? or are they crocodiles??? :eek:

I need to dig into the trick bag because Raylene is obsessed with the springtime frogs and lizards just as she was last year. Too much pulling and yanking on our loose-leash fun walks (and forget about "leave it") when she spots one on the move!

R

I had to LOL at this one...my Lucy is a great frog-hunter. We get them in our pool in the summer, and she will swim for hours hunting them. she looks like a destroyer in search of a submarine the way she patrols.

when she manages to catch one she just takes it out of the pool and deposits it safely in the grass.

When Horton was doing his runway act of Elvis, one of the other CCI people at the event had a plastic bag with pieces of hot dogs in it. I thought Horton would lose his mind!

She's the one who suggested trying them for instilling good behavior. I'm not into too much "people food" either for Horty but the hot dogs sure do perk-up his interest in what I'm trying to teach him. I really don't use very much.....just tiny, itsy, bitsy pieces!

Aruba, you tricky little girl. That surgery day will come eventually and you'll be so much happier for it! You're off the hook for a few more weeks. YAY!!!!

Bye Davis.....Horton and I wish you all the best in your future!!!!! Chin up DKD, you did good!!!!

Chris, "cookies" is Horton's favorite word now!!!!

Keith, my description of our last cruise was published a few pages ago but to sum it up.......the ship was a wreck, the folks onboard with us were some of the most wonderful we've ever cruised with, the crew were so helpful and the food was great! If this my FIRST Princess cruise I would NEVER take another! :mad: They get to redeem themselves in December on my 2 week journey onboard the LoveBoat.

It wasn't a "family cruise", that comes on June 20th. I'm looking forward to getting onto the "crazy ships of Carnival!" You want to kick-up your fun agenda a notch.....hop onto a Carnival ship....they're always livelier than most others. I know the kids will love it! I plan on doing a lot of napping and people watching!

My big events are over, at work and as things start to slow down [except for a 400-person event on the 20th in another department], my job starts to look more tolerable for another year!

I'm thinking very seriously of retiring in the beginning of next year......we'll see. Horton loves to go to work....he's a very social being [much more than Brenda was.] Brenda could have cared less when people walked past her area in my office. Horton loves to greet people and ALWAYS puts himself right in the mix of what's going on! He's a real busy-body! I think he would become very sad if he couldn't go to the various venues, meetings and get all the attention from our wonderful donors.

I would love the sleeping-in and doing absolutely NOTHING, with no expectations for a change in my life! I've worked since I was 16 years old and love the interaction with other humans! Although, I seriously adore the interaction with dogs much more! If I lived closer to a CCI establishment......I'd be there every day to walk/bathe/ work in the kennels in one capacity or another. There's something to think about!!!!!

Morey and I used to talk about me retiring and moving to Santa Rosa, where CCI has their main office. Since he's gone, I haven't given this much thought. To move there on my own is a thought but not as much fun as it would have been with him! Living would certainly be less expensive than living in LA proper. Just thinking out loud with my favorite folks.......YOU! ♥

The closest cruising dock to Santa Rosa would be San Francisco [2 hours away.] That would have a lot to do with any decisions that I make.

We'll see what my future holds.....right now, I need to re-coup my brain after a very busy beginning to this year!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, we're finally getting some winter weather here in the dry, desert of Los Angeles. :rolleyes: