Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I had to LOL at this one...my Lucy is a great frog-hunter. We get them in our pool in the summer, and she will swim for hours hunting them. she looks like a destroyer in search of a submarine the way she patrols.

when she manages to catch one she just takes it out of the pool and deposits it safely in the grass.

We want a photo! So funny.

Some of our yard frogs pretend to be dead, and wait until Ray is gone before they come back to life and hop away. But some, I regret to say, do end up in toad heaven.

When we lived in the Caribbean, friends had the occasional iguana in the pool, once spotted surfing on one of their pool floats. Our new home has a pool in the back, and behind it is nature preserve space, a sort of jungle. There are definitely gators in the area but I hope the fence we will install (a Dogs for the Deaf requirement) will keep them at bay.

We want a photo! So funny.

Some of our yard frogs pretend to be dead, and wait until Ray is gone before they come back to life and hop away. But some, I regret to say, do end up in toad heaven.

When we lived in the Caribbean, friends had the occasional iguana in the pool, once spotted surfing on one of their pool floats. Our new home has a pool in the back, and behind it is nature preserve space, a sort of jungle. There are definitely gators in the area but I hope the fence we will install (a Dogs for the Deaf requirement) will keep them at bay.

I don't like frogs, they scare me - And I certainly don't like alligators and/or crocks, thank goodness we don't get either. We have a pool that gathers the occasional worm/duck [haven't a clue where they come from and lots and lots of leaves.] Brenny liked the water and me throwing in tennis balls for her to fetch....Horty could care less about water or tennis balls. I'd be so scared for Ray....I know you'll keep her safe from those creepy water beasts!

Dianne, I know that the wait seems like an eternity.......Hang on......Once you make it to Team Training the time will literally fly by!!!!

I remember how each day seemed like an eternity waiting for that CCI Logo on every piece of mail I got. I still get goose bumps when I get a letter from CCI.

We're all waiting with you. I remember when John was waiting for Wexler, it seemed like forever. We all shared in their joy as we will with you! I promise ♥

Thanks for the encouragement Roz. I know the day will come, I just wish it would hurry up. The next training is in August so keep your fingers crossed for me.

Dianne

When Horton was doing his runway act of Elvis, one of the other CCI people at the event had a plastic bag with pieces of hot dogs in it. I thought Horton would lose his mind!

She's the one who suggested trying them for instilling good behavior. I'm not into too much "people food" either for Horty but the hot dogs sure do perk-up his interest in what I'm trying to teach him. I really don't use very much.....just tiny, itsy, bitsy pieces!

Aruba, you tricky little girl. That surgery day will come eventually and you'll be so much happier for it! You're off the hook for a few more weeks. YAY!!!!

Bye Davis.....Horton and I wish you all the best in your future!!!!! Chin up DKD, you did good!!!!

Chris, "cookies" is Horton's favorite word now!!!!

Keith, my description of our last cruise was published a few pages ago but to sum it up.......the ship was a wreck, the folks onboard with us were some of the most wonderful we've ever cruised with, the crew were so helpful and the food was great! If this my FIRST Princess cruise I would NEVER take another! :mad: They get to redeem themselves in December on my 2 week journey onboard the LoveBoat.

It wasn't a "family cruise", that comes on June 20th. I'm looking forward to getting onto the "crazy ships of Carnival!" You want to kick-up your fun agenda a notch.....hop onto a Carnival ship....they're always livelier than most others. I know the kids will love it! I plan on doing a lot of napping and people watching!

Roz, I must have misunderstood about your Carnival cruise. Thought you were taking grandkids or nieces & nephews. Sorry for the mis-information to Keith!

Thanks, Becke

Edited by Insuregal
Spelling corrections!

I had to LOL at this one...my Lucy is a great frog-hunter. We get them in our pool in the summer, and she will swim for hours hunting them. she looks like a destroyer in search of a submarine the way she patrols.

when she manages to catch one she just takes it out of the pool and deposits it safely in the grass.

Keith

Does your Lucy think the frogs are drowning and in need of a rescue? Or is it that she doesn't appreciate trespassers in her swimming pool?

Gibson has taken to chasing down the toads in our yard, but he would chomp them down. So we have to be vigilant, don't want him upchucking toad on the carpet. YUCK!

Thanks,

Beckie

Edited by Insuregal
Spelling corrections; no spellcheck on this machine!

Keith

Does your Lucy think the frogs are drowning and in need of a rescue? Or is it that she doesn't appreciate trespassers in her swimming pool?

Gibson has taken to chasing down the toads in our yard, but he would chomp them down. So we have to be vigilant, don't want him upchucking toad on the carpet. YUCK!

Thanks,

Beckie

I think to her it is just a variation of our regular game of throwing the ball in the pool, that is how she gets a lot of her exercise. You should see her leap into the pool - I have to be careful not to throw it too close to the other side as I a couple of times she has come close to hitting it.

You are welcome Dianne!

We had a good day at class today. We took most of the dogs to the local mall. This was my second real outing with Jagger. I gave my camera to the event coordinator so she could take photos for us. Here's the link - everyone should be able to see them if they choose as I made them public:

https://www.facebook.com/hollysumner.ff/media_set?set=a.10152886834023543.1073741848.535573542&type=1&pnref=story

And in other good news, I have been told that Jagger and I can have an overnight visit within the next two weeks!

Thanks for the encouragement Roz. I know the day will come, I just wish it would hurry up. The next training is in August so keep your fingers crossed for me.

Dianne

Fingers and Paws crossed here, too, Diane, for August training. You do realize we all will expect immediate photos once it happens, don't you!? Gotta have our new dog fix.

Fingers and Paws crossed here, too, Diane, for August training. You do realize we all will expect immediate photos once it happens, don't you!? Gotta have our new dog fix.

Thanks - I hope that I will have those photos soon!

You are welcome Dianne!

We had a good day at class today. We took most of the dogs to the local mall. This was my second real outing with Jagger. I gave my camera to the event coordinator so she could take photos for us. Here's the link - everyone should be able to see them if they choose as I made them public:

https://www.facebook.com/hollysumner.ff/media_set?set=a.10152886834023543.1073741848.535573542&type=1&pnref=story

And in other good news, I have been told that Jagger and I can have an overnight visit within the next two weeks!

Thanks for sharing the photos - that will be so exciting to have Jagger overnight.

Dianne

Thank you all for your well wishes. Friday was indeed a rough day. The good news is that Davis walked down the hallway with his tail wagging and he never looked back. Here he is all dressed up in his matriculation cape.

Matriculation.jpg

The good news is that we come home from vacation on June 10th and we pick up Sutter II on June 11th. Why...because we are crazy!! He is a Male, Yellow LGX. Let the games begin!! He is five days old here.

Sutter%20II.jpg

Thank you all for your well wishes. Friday was indeed a rough day. The good news is that Davis walked down the hallway with his tail wagging and he never looked back. Here he is all dressed up in his matriculation cape.

Matriculation.jpg

The good news is that we come home from vacation on June 10th and we pick up Sutter II on June 11th. Why...because we are crazy!! He is a Male, Yellow LGX. Let the games begin!! He is five days old here.

Sutter%20II.jpg

:(, :)Cute pictures

Matriculation.jpg

Sutter%20II.jpg

Oh my...those are two good looking dogs. Best of luck on your new adventure, and thanks for doing such a great job with Davis.

Matriculation.jpg

Sutter%20II.jpg

I've been thinking about you all day and hoping you would post and let us know how you are all doing. Through your emotions, you must have been pleased and proud that he walked away as he did - ready for his next adventure.

When Aruba goes, someone from Guide Dogs comes and takes her from our home to the training centre. I won't be able to watch her walk out our gate. When will you hear how Davis is settling in? I think this will be the worst part for me wondering how my girl is doing. We don't have or get as much communication as you do - in fact we will not know where she is placed unless the new Guide Dog owner gets in touch with us.

Oh my goodness what a cutie Sutter II is ..... You are crazy! But a delightful crazy! Just wait till aunty Roz sees this photo! ;):D.

That's a lovely photo of Davis - he just looks so perfect in his new coat.

Dianne

I'm wishing you well too for August - can't wait to see your new "pal"! :)

I've been thinking about you all day and hoping you would post and let us know how you are all doing. Through your emotions, you must have been pleased and proud that he walked away as he did - ready for his next adventure.

When Aruba goes, someone from Guide Dogs comes and takes her from our home to the training centre. I won't be able to watch her walk out our gate. When will you hear how Davis is settling in? I think this will be the worst part for me wondering how my girl is doing. We don't have or get as much communication as you do - in fact we will not know where she is placed unless the new Guide Dog owner gets in touch with us.

Oh my goodness what a cutie Sutter II is ..... You are crazy! But a delightful crazy! Just wait till aunty Roz sees this photo! ;):D.

That's a lovely photo of Davis - he just looks so perfect in his new coat.

fairbourne,

We will get a progress report on the last Wednesday of every month letting us know how Davis is doing. It looks like Sutter's breeder/caretaker is going to send us lots of pictures and wants to keep in touch with us. She is already cradling the pups and using the Dremmell on their nails. Sutter is off to a good start.

I posted about a year ago with questions and help for our first cruise with my youngest son's service dog. We went on Disney. Sorry I never got back to thank everyone for their help - I started a new job right after we returned and health issues always keep us busy, but the cruise went really well! The only issue we had was not having additional copies of paperwork. I had sent copies of everything to Disney and received both email and phone confirmation that we were good and the ship had everything, only to find out when we got on the ship they were expecting us to provide additional copies of everything. I only had our copy and was really nervous handing everything over and not having a single copy on me! Lesson learned - bring multiple copies of all paperwork, in addition to all of the faxed copies and email confirmations!

Anyway, we are going to Bermuda this summer, but have decided not to bring our dog with us....however, we are planning Alaska next summer and will bring her on that cruise.

We are thinking about Princess. Can anyone provide any help on cruising Princess specifically in Alaska?

Oh, DKD, that message and the photos of Davis and Sutter made my eyes get all blurry! You are made of tougher stuff than I am to watch Davis walk away and not look back, but the antidote is ... a new puppy! No, not crazy at all.

Can't wait to see this little bundle of love grow.

Lesson learned - bring multiple copies of all paperwork, in addition to all of the faxed copies and email confirmations!

Anyway, we are going to Bermuda this summer, but have decided not to bring our dog with us....however, we are planning Alaska next summer and will bring her on that cruise.

We are thinking about Princess. Can anyone provide any help on cruising Princess specifically in Alaska?

Glad the cruise went well! So true... cruise with your service dog, kill a tree. I brought copies for every port just in case the first time, but never needed them once after check-in.

(Wish I could help on Princess but we haven't sailed that line yet.) Really glad to know you are planning another!