Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thanks! As you can tell, I love talking about Jagger. BTW, he was the My Angel With Paws Dog of the Day yesterday: https://www.facebook.com/MyAngelWithPaws?fref=ts

I get to pick him up tomorrow and he'll stay at least to Saturday. The head trainer said she soon plans to work on his advanced training. Their brand-new training center is almost done. (they've been building it themselves with the help of volunteers) I went out and helped paint trim yesterday. It's looking good. It's the same building as the kennel, and the middle part of the training center is set up like a house. She wants it as homey as possible for any dog in the kennels.

Just put in the cabinets and kitchen stuff yesterday. The dogs will have a set-up kitchen to learn to do things like open dishwashers, cabinets, etc. It's great.

So yeah, I got to see Jagger while I was there yesterday. :)

This post will come with the provision that I do not expect anyone to have to participate. I will not be upset if no one here does.. I figure some of my SD friends on FB will, so this is just because some might find the shirt cute.

I just started a Booster Campaign to raise funds to thank MAWP for Jagger. It's a t-shirt that says: Relax It's a Service Dog...Not a Magical Unicorn.

I'm sure you all get the looks when we take our partners out in public. LOL...

https://www.booster.com/myangelwithpaws?fb_action_ids=10152976891353543&fb_action_types=og.comments

Again, please no one feel obligated, okay? If you like it, then fine, it goes to a good cause.

Holly

Holly

This post will come with the provision that I do not expect anyone to have to participate. I will not be upset if no one here does.. I figure some of my SD friends on FB will, so this is just because some might find the shirt cute.

I just started a Booster Campaign to raise funds to thank MAWP for Jagger. It's a t-shirt that says: Relax It's a Service Dog...Not a Magical Unicorn.

https://www.booster.com/myangelwithpaws?fb_action_ids=10152976891353543&fb_action_types=og.comments

Again, please no one feel obligated, okay? If you like it, then fine, it goes to a good cause.

Holly

Holly[/quote

Hi Holly

I would love to get one for our puppy walker trainer/supervisor! Do you know if they ship to the UK? I couldn't see anything on the link (but I didn't click through to buy either!).

I loved the photo of Jagger - his coat is beautiful but I'm sure he produces lots of tumbleweed! At the moment I could stuff a cushion every day! Thank goodness we have hard floors! I loved that you had MAWP airlines at your doggy airport - I remember practising with Aruba before we went to our local airport, I would make her wait and then call her through a doorway. It was the nearest thing, I thought to a security arch!

We are having the coldest June for 40 years .... Hope Roz and her girls and boy are enjoying the sun on her cruise. I wonder how many lurkers she and Horton will meet this time!

Dianne, I'm refusing to count down the days or I will drive myself nuts! We were out to lunch on Saturday and the place was full with early Father's Day lunch parties. When we walked in, I swear the whole restaurant turned to look at this beautiful girl and I could hear the oohs and aaaahs. She was very well behaved and just dozed under the table. The servers didn't even notice her there which is exactly what we want. :).

I just checked and right now they are only doing the US. If you'd really like one, we can work something out and I'd ship it to you.

I'd LOVE a cold spell right now. It got close to 100 today. 98 really but that's pretty darned close.

I love the classes that MAWP comes up with. Going to practice going in a cruise-sized box, and also training with puppy pads just in case. The puppy pads are good for airports where the relief area is too far to go.

It's fun (some of the time) when people ooh and ahhh over our babies. And it makes us so proud when they chill out under the table.

Yeah, Jagger can produce fur....and more fur. I brush him twice a day and he still manages to shed. Oh well, that's what vacuums are for... ;)

Has anyone been forturnate to disembarked on Royal's private Island? Can not seem to get any accurate info for Haiti's health requirements. Have been all over the net with little or no info. One site indicating a Haitian Vet Certificate while Jet Blu indicates USDA 7001. Our vet suggested the Haitian Consulate , no info there. Can some one who has been there please be so kind give me a heads up. So frustrated I may book the Regal Princess again this week. Just wanted a different itinerary. Thanx in advance

Has anyone been forturnate to disembarked on Royal's private Island? Can not seem to get any accurate info for Haiti's health requirements. Have been all over the net with little or no info. One site indicating a Haitian Vet Certificate while Jet Blu indicates USDA 7001. Our vet suggested the Haitian Consulate , no info there. Can some one who has been there please be so kind give me a heads up. So frustrated I may book the Regal Princess again this week. Just wanted a different itinerary. Thanx in advance

I was wondering about Labadee before our December Celebrity cruise last year. I brought along the standard 7001 endorsed by the state USDA office.

I had concerns about reports of unleashed local dogs on the island. A bigger question mark was the fact that Haiti is on the USDA list of countries infected with Screw Worm (hence the reported need to get a certificate from a Haitian vet verifying that the dog is free of Screw Worm in order to re-enter the US.)

When we arrived, it rained all day with gray skies so we stayed on board and did not have to make a decision.

I can report that upon returning to the US (Ft. Lauderdale), no one was even remotely interested in the dog or her papers at Customs and Border protection as we disembarked. We were waved through after our passports were checked. So I suspect we could have taken her ashore and no one would have asked for any vet certificate. But others may have had a different experience, and you might.

We travel Celebrity often and may cruise Royal Caribbean, too, in the future. I don't plan to take the dog ashore. We can take turns staying aboard if one of us wants to go. That's an option for any port where you have concerns. Doesn't mean you have to cancel your cruise if there's a potential dog problem with a port.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Holly

Holly

I couldn't resist Holly - ordered one for my daughter's bear that she keeps near her at all times. She will love it. Of course, I gave them the wrong email address when I hit submit; then emailed them to ask if they can fix it. :( My proofreading skills are not the best... Thank you so much for starting this campaign! Hope you reach your sales goal soon.

Beckie

I couldn't resist Holly - ordered one for my daughter's bear that she keeps near her at all times. She will love it. Of course, I gave them the wrong email address when I hit submit; then emailed them to ask if they can fix it. :( My proofreading skills are not the best... Thank you so much for starting this campaign! Hope you reach your sales goal soon.

Beckie

Thanks! I didn't want anyone to feel like they had to order, but I thought it was a cute idea. After the few times I've taken Jagger out in public - it really is amusing the looks on people's faces. It's like they've never seen a service dog before. Might as well have fun with it... :D

Hope the Bear enjoys it - take photos! :)

I try to do all I can to help them raise funds as they are a total volunteer organization.

I just picked Jagger up and he's home here with me. He ran straight for the toy box. What memories they have. :rolleyes:

Of course one of his favorites is a Jolly Ball...which is actually for horses. It's huge. It's been one of his favorite toys since he was a little puppy and it was practically bigger than him. So I had to get him one.

He's so happy to be here. And he looks so good. The groomer gave him a mani/pedi and bath yesterday. He's so soft and smells so good. Wonder how long that will last...ha ha.

ShakeNBake: Has Royal Caribbean given you any input? Do they have a Special Services department?

Holly

Well yesterday I got the call no puppy raiser with a dog in advanced training wants to get. Davis decided that college is NOT for him. He is being released from the program. It really didn't come as a surprise to us. He had alot of issues. So he has chosen to be a great pet. Hopefully he will go to people we know that want him that live close to us. They got the e-mail from CCI yesterday that they will have a phone interview on Thursday. We spoke to them last night and they are on cloud 9!! We also told them that if they ever need a dog sitter to let us know. We are hoping for a great outcome.

Well yesterday I got the call no puppy raiser with a dog in advanced training wants to get. Davis decided that college is NOT for him. He is being released from the program. It really didn't come as a surprise to us. He had alot of issues. So he has chosen to be a great pet. Hopefully he will go to people we know that want him that live close to us. They got the e-mail from CCI yesterday that they will have a phone interview on Thursday. We spoke to them last night and they are on cloud 9!! We also told them that if they ever need a dog sitter to let us know. We are hoping for a great outcome.

that must be a really tough decision for the school to have to make - I doubt I could do it.

We are all proud of your family and of Davis and I think it is fantastic that he already has some great folks ready to give him a forever home. Please keep us posted!

Thanks! As you can tell, I love talking about Jagger. BTW, he was the My Angel With Paws Dog of the Day yesterday: https://www.facebook.com/MyAngelWithPaws?fref=ts

I get to pick him up tomorrow and he'll stay at least to Saturday. The head trainer said she soon plans to work on his advanced training. Their brand-new training center is almost done. (they've been building it themselves with the help of volunteers) I went out and helped paint trim yesterday. It's looking good. It's the same building as the kennel, and the middle part of the training center is set up like a house. She wants it as homey as possible for any dog in the kennels.

Just put in the cabinets and kitchen stuff yesterday. The dogs will have a set-up kitchen to learn to do things like open dishwashers, cabinets, etc. It's great.

So yeah, I got to see Jagger while I was there yesterday. :)

Beautiful dog!!!

Sorry Den. I know what goes into training one of these dogs. So glad theres a chance he might be close to you.

Holly

Holly

Adorable!!!

DKD,

I'm sorry that Davis didn't like college. He will be an awesome pet to whoever gets to be his forever family. Of course, for my own selfish reasons, I hope he gets to live with your friends. :) More stories and photos would be great!

On another note, did Sutter II make it to your house yet?

Last, but the most important question: Is your daughter feeling better? (And is Orson supportive during these times?)

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Beckie

Edited by Insuregal
One more question.

DKD,

I'm sorry that Davis didn't like college. He will be an awesome pet to whoever gets to be his forever family. Of course, for my own selfish reasons, I hope he gets to live with your friends. :) More stories and photos would be great!

On another note, did Sutter II make it to your house yet?

Last, but the most important question: Is your daughter feeling better? (And is Orson supportive during these times?)

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Beckie

Sutter II is indeed at our house. He is nothing like our first two pups. He is a much shorted dog. He also has no fear of anything. He already knows his name and comes when you call him. He also knows sit. He knows where the treats are kept so if you open that door, he is right there. He is also a lover of ice cubes. He doesn't like the heat. But he does like the water. Our first one that does.

Our daughter is feeling better. She still has a ways to go to get back to "normal". Dehydration takes a long time to recover from.

Orson knew something was wrong before we did. My wife would take him off the bus in Disney World and then I would wheel my daughter off. Orson kept trying to get back on the bus to be with her. It's something to keep an eye on.

Edited by DisneyKidsDad

DKD - I am so glad your daughter is feeling bad. Dehydration is nothing to fool with and can happen so fast.

I used to see a lot of it when I worked at Universal Studios in Florida. (didn't see it much at Disney because I worked inside) The heat here can be brutal.

Sutter II sounds so cute. It is funny how they pick up where the treats are so quickly.

I've got my fingers and toes crossed that Davis gets to go live with your friends.

DKD, really appreciated the updates. We're ready for more photos of newbie Sutter.

Davis will be a fabulous member of a new household (hope it's your friends' place)...I've heard that only one out of five from most programs make it to the finish line (or starting line in reality I guess.)

Especially glad to know your daughter is doing better.

DKD- I hope your daughter continues to feel better. Please give her our best wishes. Orsen is such a smart boy.

I'm a bit glad that Davis decided he didn't want this career path early on at school, no-one would have wanted to prolong the agony for him and make him unhappy. He reminds me of a dog we had released off scheme last year - very quickly within 2/3 weeks of going to the training centre - because he was too sensitive (I never did really find out what that meant). He is a great big soft lad, like how I imagine Davis to be, so you just never know with the dogs. I'm sure it must be a difficult decision for the trainers to make. I hope too that Davis moves in with your friends and is happy - sounds like it could be a perfect match for them all. And bonus that you will get to see him too! Will your friends have to pay a fee to have him? If Aruba doesn't like school either and we've said we will have her back, we have to pay a fee - I think it's around £300. It used to be £1 until a few years ago! Now that was crazy for beautiful, well-trained pedigree dogs!!! So the charity wised up somewhat!

Sutter II - you are going to have your work cut out with this little tink - it's funny how the treat jar is heard being opened from a mile off!!! :rolleyes:

We will look forward to photos of the little chap.

Well, everybody, we are now officially Floridians! although we are back in NC for two weeks. We closed on a house last Thursday just south of Sarasota. Now we await the moving van. Also awaiting the postponed closing of our NC home (long story) to be sold either to the original buyer or a back-up waiting in the wings.

Raylene and I will have new sound-specific work to do. I tried testing her on the Florida microwave and she didn't alert me when it beeped. Same will be true for clothes dryer, doorbell, etc. But she's such a smart girl, she'll catch on with a few treat-at-sound sessions. And of course, she already aces "name call" whenever/wherever my husband calls me.

Couldn't get her interested in going into the pool with us at the new house. Not all Labs like to swim...amazing!

Well, everybody, we are now officially Floridians! although we are back in NC for two weeks. We closed on a house last Thursday just south of Sarasota. Now we await the moving van. Also awaiting the postponed closing of our NC home (long story) to be sold either to the original buyer or a back-up waiting in the wings.

Raylene and I will have new sound-specific work to do. I tried testing her on the Florida microwave and she didn't alert me when it beeped. Same will be true for clothes dryer, doorbell, etc. But she's such a smart girl, she'll catch on with a few treat-at-sound sessions. And of course, she already aces "name call" whenever/wherever my husband calls me.

Couldn't get her interested in going into the pool with us at the new house. Not all Labs like to swim...amazing!

Congratulations on your new home.

Dianne

I hope your friends get to adopt Davis. That would be so great for you if he is close by.

Dianne

I just checked and right now they are only doing the US. If you'd really like one, we can work something out and I'd ship it to you.

;)

Thanks, but I suddenly realised that we have a very easy option! My DH works for an American company, so he will get someone there to buy the shirt for me and send it over. Sorted! :D.

Congratulations on your move, it must be exciting for you. Do you think the dogs maybe don't like the pool due to the smell of the pool chemicals? Mind you we were watching a program the other evening where they exercised their dogs in hydrotherapy pools during the winter (not sure where it was but somewhere that has very cold winters) - they probably don't use the same chemicals that we have in human pools though. Ours aren't keen on swimming in the sea either, but they do love the beach and running into the surf and getting just their little tootsies wet!