Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Jagger hasn't been interested in going in the pool yet. We'll see what happens on Saturday as we are having class at my house with a pool party....

I am sure Raylene will be a pro in no time with the new sounds.

Welcome to Florida! :cool:

Thanks for the welcome, Holly! You MUST share lots of photos of a pool full of Labs!

Well, everybody, we are now officially Floridians! although we are back in NC for two weeks. We closed on a house last Thursday just south of Sarasota. Now we await the moving van. Also awaiting the postponed closing of our NC home (long story) to be sold either to the original buyer or a back-up waiting in the wings.

Raylene and I will have new sound-specific work to do. I tried testing her on the Florida microwave and she didn't alert me when it beeped. Same will be true for clothes dryer, doorbell, etc. But she's such a smart girl, she'll catch on with a few treat-at-sound sessions. And of course, she already aces "name call" whenever/wherever my husband calls me.

Couldn't get her interested in going into the pool with us at the new house. Not all Labs like to swim...amazing!

congrats on your new home...although NC is losing some great folks (and a great dog).

re the swimming - Lucy did not like the pool at first, I finally said the heck with that and took her into the water. Now you can't keep her out.

Edited by alexspepa

Congratulations on your new home.

Dianne

Thanks, Dianne! I'm excited about unpacking all our boxes and painting this summer (pink-ish and purple-ish walls in some rooms). Also looking forward to being just a few hours away from the SE Florida ports and even closer to Tampa. Maybe we can take advantage of some last-minute cruise deals.

Today my husband is going to call the USDA state office to find out if there are any accredited vets in our area. Might as well start off with a vet that can issue the 7001 for Raylene before international trips.

congrats on your new home...although NC is losing some great folks (and a great dog).

re the swimming - Lucy did not like the pool at first, I finally said the heck with that and took her into the water. Now you can't keep her out.

Appreciate the kind words, Keith! We're sorry to leave our N.C. friends and family, but are lucky have some living in Fla. too.

We tried taking Raylene in the pool but she beat a fast retreat both times and places. She isn't keen on the surf either when we are walking on a beach.

Fairbourne, I wondered about the chemicals with our previous dog (a pet) who would never go into the pool when we lived in the Caribbean, despite our encouragement. Then one day she did.

After that Misty would swim with us...and if we were busy inside, she would open the screen door with her paw, have a swim, and come back into the house with a big smile, dripping huge puddles on the tiled floor everywhere.

(Not that she woukd close the screen door behind herself or mop up the puddles...no.)

Edited by Caribbean Chris

DKD- I hope your daughter continues to feel better. Please give her our best wishes. Orsen is such a smart boy.

I'm a bit glad that Davis decided he didn't want this career path early on at school, no-one would have wanted to prolong the agony for him and make him unhappy. He reminds me of a dog we had released off scheme last year - very quickly within 2/3 weeks of going to the training centre - because he was too sensitive (I never did really find out what that meant). He is a great big soft lad, like how I imagine Davis to be, so you just never know with the dogs. I'm sure it must be a difficult decision for the trainers to make. I hope too that Davis moves in with your friends and is happy - sounds like it could be a perfect match for them all. And bonus that you will get to see him too! Will your friends have to pay a fee to have him? If Aruba doesn't like school either and we've said we will have her back, we have to pay a fee - I think it's around £300. It used to be £1 until a few years ago! Now that was crazy for beautiful, well-trained pedigree dogs!!! So the charity wised up somewhat!

Sutter II - you are going to have your work cut out with this little tink - it's funny how the treat jar is heard being opened from a mile off!!! :rolleyes:

We will look forward to photos of the little chap.

There is a $500 donation for release dogs with CCI.

Thanks, but I suddenly realised that we have a very easy option! My DH works for an American company, so he will get someone there to buy the shirt for me and send it over. Sorted! :D.

Cool! Although my proposed goal is 50 - they will print at 11.

Now to drink more coffee while reading the posts here. :)

Mornin all:

Boy you guys have been busy chatting!

DKD: So glad your daughter is feeling better. Very scary. Orson is a great guy. We should all pay more attention to what our pets are trying to tell us.I am sure most of us have been in some array of not listening to them. As for Davis, he is still "our" boy. You did an amazing job with the boy. He just chose a different pawth!

Chris: Congrats on new home! Our lab did not like getting in the pool, other than on the first step, laid flat, on his belly to cool off. Quite a feat for a 110 lb big boy. He did not like the river either. Some just don't. He did not particularly like other dogs, either. Everyone would say "Oh he's a lab, they love everyone. Our boy, not so much.

Miss you, Ms. Queenie, can't wait to hear how the cruise was.

And to my dear sister, Princess Pony Pants, :p

Hope everyone has a great week.

Jagger and I are going for our first visit together at Walmart. We've got to go shopping as class is being held at my house tomorrow. We're having a Pool Party and all his friends are coming. Part of the "Learn to be a good host/learn to be a good guest" classes that MAWP does.

Of course I'll have lots of photos, and maybe a video or two.

And for your laugh this weekend: Some of you may have seen this cute clip - if not its fun. "I want to be a service dog" from Sesame Street:

Holly

Warning - there are like 171 photos...

But we had the MAWP Pool Party today and fun was had by all. Jagger learned to be a good host, and the dogs learned to be good guests. Pool safety was taught. Play happened. (and good thing we could just hose down the patio floor afterwards - LOL)

https://www.facebook.com/hollysumner.ff/media_set?set=a.10152987105758543.1073741851.535573542&type=3&pnref=story

Adorable photos, Holly! What a fun time. I especially like the three dogs lined up poolside (black, yellow and golden), and the woman holding the two doggies. Such sweet sleepy-faced puppies at the last...no doubt tuckered out by all their swimming.

I think humans and dogs alike will sleep well tonight!

The woman holding the two dogs is Sarah, who is one of the head trainers. She spent time with just about every dog making sure they knew where the stairs were and were okay in the water.

Holly

Warning - there are like 171 photos...

But we had the MAWP Pool Party today and fun was had by all. Jagger learned to be a good host, and the dogs learned to be good guests. Pool safety was taught. Play happened. (and good thing we could just hose down the patio floor afterwards - LOL)

https://www.facebook.com/hollysumner.ff/media_set?set=a.10152987105758543.1073741851.535573542&type=3&pnref=story

That looks like a really fun time for those dogs and for you and Jagger too.

Dianne

We just found out yesterday that the people we wanted to adopt Davis will be picking him up on Tuesday!! They are thrilled and so are we!

Yea for Davis! Hope he and your friends will enjoy a long and happy life together. Glad to hear Sutter is making himself at home so quickly. Anxiously awaiting photos... :)

Beckie

I think humans and dogs alike will sleep well tonight!

The woman holding the two dogs is Sarah, who is one of the head trainers. She spent time with just about every dog making sure they knew where the stairs were and were okay in the water.

Holly

We have a pool with walk-in steps and no rail (in hindsight a mistake not to have a rail as we get older) - anyway when we were training Lucy to use the pool we put two planters on either side of the steps so she would have a reference point when in the water.

We have a pool with walk-in steps and no rail (in hindsight a mistake not to have a rail as we get older) - anyway when we were training Lucy to use the pool we put two planters on either side of the steps so she would have a reference point when in the water.

That was a good idea.

We added the railing ourselves as me, and both my parents have mobility issues. (or we had a maintenance guy do it...)

We taught both our other dogs where the steps were just in case. Neither Bear nor Charlie like to go in the pool, but both have fallen in.

Jagger loves to get wet, but really isn't too into the pool. It took Sarah quite a while to coax him in.

And today, I am still cleaning out dog hair out of the pool! LOL! We have a robot cleaner and that was full. Plus the two filters have been cleaned at least five times. Almost got it all.

Was worth it though - we all had so much fun.

I'm kind of sad today as Jagger went back to the ranch. Bear misses him and is looking all over for him. He'll be back though, most likely on Tuesday.

They'll start his advanced training soon. At least we now know we are a good match so his future tasks will be tailored to what I need in a SD.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend! I'm cruise dreaming - it's still 10 months off....