Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

This is Sutter being Sutter when he isn't terrorizing the Yorkie!

NEW%20SUTTER.jpg

Hello Sutter.....Welcome to the family. DKD, I know there is a tinge of disappointment inside your heart for Davis. But, there's just no telling what personality trait will come forward when they're put into the training process. Horton only got very lucky that he was such a diligent worker because his bad habits could drive anyone crazy. If anyone in the room takes of their shoes, Horton totally forgets that he's a Service Dog and becomes a shoe hoarder. He can be talked out of his obsession but still, it is annoying.

I hope that Sutter makes it to college and that your friends enjoy Davis and love him as much as you do.

I hope your daughter is doing well. That was a scary episode, I'm sure!

We lost a CCI dog to overheating in a hot car, this past week. It's a Terrible loss and CCI is warning EVERYONE to PLEASE REMEMBER TO REMOVE YOUR DOG FROM THE HOT CAR! The handler forgot the dog was in the car!!!! They must be devastated! :(

Let's change the subject........Our Carnival cruise was one of the best cruises I have ever taken. The food, entertainment, ship, Cruise Director and the staff in general, were definitely some of the very best I've experienced and I'm not a Carnival cheerleader. My children had the time of their lives. It was the Carnival Miracle and every staff person onboard went out of their way to make our experience the best! Horton was treated like furry royalty!

We had a wrap-around veranda in the Visa Suite #4237. The potty box was placed on the veranda, around the corner.....you didn't even know it was there. The veranda took up half of the back of the ship, it was amazing; we had lots of lounges and deck chairs to relax on.

The weather was very hot and humid, but the air conditioning worked well on the ship and we truly enjoyed our cabins!

We loved Cabo San Lucas and saw many dolphins. The children zip lined and swam with the dolphins in Puerto Vallarta.

The entertainers onboard were some of the best I have EVER SEEN [And, I'm very critical]!!! The food in the main dining room was excellent, as was the staff. I had forgotten what it was like to have your waiter dancing and singing [they NEVER do that on Princess.] The children had smiles on their faces the entire week!! The towel animals were a real treat for both the adults and the children.....so much fun! The Vista buffet was so crowded everyday and the food was just okay. They have a chocolate extravaganza which is something to be seen. They put everything and anything from donuts to apples on a stick and then they dip it in chocolate, it's really to die for!!!! But, the food was just okay!

The ham and chicken burgers [outside by the pool], are excellent and, of course there's the never ending soft-serve yogurt.

I highly recommend the Carnival Miracle.

The curly slide does not work too good and the pools do get a bit over crowded but this is something Carnival can work on and make better!

I wouldn't hesitate to book Carnival again!

Welcome back Roz!

Glad you liked your Carnival cruise. I sailed her sister ship, The Legend and I really liked it. Had one of the aft cabins...but not the lovely cabin you had. LOVE the aft area. Quiet and big verandas. I bet you enjoyed it even more with your family aboard. :)

You know, as our children (3) were growing up we never thought of cruising. We'd go to Hawaii, New York, Las Vegas, Disneyland, Florida and the beach a lot.

I'm so glad that my daughter was willing to allow me to splurge on them......it was great fun and definitely opened up another avenue of vacation travel for them. She can't wait to book her next adventure onboard a cruise ship.

I love to cruise. It's so easy for my dogs and me and it allows me to see a lot of the world without having to do too much schlepping!

The packing and initial drop off and debarking can be a bit daunting but I'm getting smarter and smarter about what to bring to make the trip more fun and easier.

The kids didn't let me nap too much but I promise to make up for it on my December 3rd, 2 week cruise!

Other than having to get to dinner and to the theatre on time.......I'm going to totally relax that trip!

Hello Sutter.....Welcome to the family. DKD, I know there is a tinge of disappointment inside your heart for Davis. But, there's just no telling what personality trait will come forward when they're put into the training process. Horton only got very lucky that he was such a diligent worker because his bad habits could drive anyone crazy. If anyone in the room takes of their shoes, Horton totally forgets that he's a Service Dog and becomes a shoe hoarder. He can be talked out of his obsession but still, it is annoying.

I hope that Sutter makes it to college and that your friends enjoy Davis and love him as much as you do.

I hope your daughter is doing well. That was a scary episode, I'm sure!

We lost a CCI dog to overheating in a hot car, this past week. It's a Terrible loss and CCI is warning EVERYONE to PLEASE REMEMBER TO REMOVE YOUR DOG FROM THE HOT CAR! The handler forgot the dog was in the car!!!! They must be devastated! :(

Let's change the subject........Our Carnival cruise was one of the best cruises I have ever taken. The food, entertainment, ship, Cruise Director and the staff in general, were definitely some of the very best I've experienced and I'm not a Carnival cheerleader. My children had the time of their lives. It was the Carnival Miracle and every staff person onboard went out of their way to make our experience the best! Horton was treated like furry royalty!

We had a wrap-around veranda in the Visa Suite #4237. The potty box was placed on the veranda, around the corner.....you didn't even know it was there. The veranda took up half of the back of the ship, it was amazing; we had lots of lounges and deck chairs to relax on.

The weather was very hot and humid, but the air conditioning worked well on the ship and we truly enjoyed our cabins!

We loved Cabo San Lucas and saw many dolphins. The children zip lined and swam with the dolphins in Puerto Vallarta.

The entertainers onboard were some of the best I have EVER SEEN [And, I'm very critical]!!! The food in the main dining room was excellent, as was the staff. I had forgotten what it was like to have your waiter dancing and singing [they NEVER do that on Princess.] The children had smiles on their faces the entire week!! The towel animals were a real treat for both the adults and the children.....so much fun! The Vista buffet was so crowded everyday and the food was just okay. They have a chocolate extravaganza which is something to be seen. They put everything and anything from donuts to apples on a stick and then they dip it in chocolate, it's really to die for!!!! But, the food was just okay!

The ham and chicken burgers [outside by the pool], are excellent and, of course there's the never ending soft-serve yogurt.

I highly recommend the Carnival Miracle.

The curly slide does not work too good and the pools do get a bit over crowded but this is something Carnival can work on and make better!

I wouldn't hesitate to book Carnival again!

Welcome back Roz and Horton. It sounds like you and your family had an amazing time. How convenient that the potty box was on your veranda. Its been 20 years since we sailed Carnival; I am glad that you had such a great experience. Our next cruise is a 2016 Panama Canal on Celebrity and we have an aft cabin with a super large veranda, maybe we will be able to talk them into letting us have the potty box there.

Dianne

I think many lines will allow the potty box on the veranda if you have one.

Actually, this is a tough one. The cruise lines don't like putting the potty box on the veranda for a lot of different reasons: One being the proximity of the box to the next cabin. If you don't pick up the waste, the smell can waft onto the cabin next door, above and below and then there will be complaining guests. Also, if they place wood chips [as they did with ours] and the wind blows the chips next door; if someone lights a cigarette [of course, a big no-no but still!] - The box is made of wood, the wood chips are highly flammable, etc., etc. a HUGE fire hazard, can you imagine the ramifications of that?

Someone came daily to check on the box and any issues that it might propose. They really wanted the box on a different deck and in a different area. I convinced them to put it where they did.

Luckily, nothing happened but I totally get Carnival's concerns! I'm a very conscience guest, not everyone is!

I will have a forward, veranda on the Pacific Princess in December, it will be interesting where the box is placed then. If I'm near a stairwell, I'm hoping that will be the answer!

Until our dogs are trained to use the toilet this will ALWAYS BE AN ISSUE!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Welcome back, Mama Roz! We missed you! So glad it was wonderful! What a treat for your family.

I think it is fabulous that you were able to convince them to put the box on the verandah! ...guessing that it probably helped that it was an aft, large space.

Both Holland America and Celebrity seem to put their boxes way forward on a promenade deck area from what I've read (and experienced on my two cruises). So now I've been booking close to the forward elevators for a quicker trip down.

On some smaller HAL ships with cabins right on the lower promenade deck, you don't even have to use an elevator - just step outside - but those ships seem to be gradually leaving their fleet.

Having the box right on your own balcony would be so ideal but I do understand why they usually won't want to do it. Really glad they did this time.

I know Disney will allow a box on a veranda, or I was told by Special Services that they would.

My next cruise I won't have a veranda as it's a Panama Canal Cruise and the verandas are REALLY up there in price.

I have an October cruise booked on Disney in one of the large AFT cabins. That one I'll opt for the box on the veranda.

I can understand why they sometimes wouldnt' want to do it.

Something else to think about is bringing your own artificial turf. I was going to bring my own [which would have made the box of wood shavings so much more doable], without the shavings flying around from the wind or being carried on or stuck to Horton's fur.

Also, along with the turf, I could have brought some extra large puddle pads, with a large trash bag [or asked guest services for a large trash bag.]

It would have worked perfectly to have the turf, pads and plastic bag. I could have picked up the waste [as I did] and changed the pads several times a day, discarding them into the plastic bag. At the end of the cruise I could have washed down the turf in the shower, taken it with me, rolled-up, in a large black, trash bag put into my granny cart and easy-peasy, off I go.

Or, just leave the turf behind. It's a bit pricey and you may not want to do this if you travel as often as I do, it can get a bit expensive!

Welcome home Ms. Queenie and Master Horty! So glad you had a great cruise. We really love Carnival, too. We have had some of the best meals on their ships. For us the price is excellent. Wouldn't be able to have taken as many cruises as we did if it wasn't for their affordability. Friends went with us on one of our cruises. She likes to think she is all that and has stated she will never cruise Carnival again. She has only been on 2 cruises. She has other friends that I think convinced her Carnival was a "trashy" cruiseline. They have of course never cruised on it! To each his own. As we all know you can have an off cruise on any line.

Welcome home Ms. Queenie and Master Horty! So glad you had a great cruise. We really love Carnival, too. We have had some of the best meals on their ships. For us the price is excellent. Wouldn't be able to have taken as many cruises as we did if it wasn't for their affordability. Friends went with us on one of our cruises. She likes to think she is all that and has stated she will never cruise Carnival again. She has only been on 2 cruises. She has other friends that I think convinced her Carnival was a "trashy" cruiseline. They have of course never cruised on it! To each his own. As we all know you can have an off cruise on any line.

Nancy, the ship, the service, the entertainment and the crew were [no exaggeration] top-notch.

I'm picky when it comes to staying in hotels [whether they be floating or not] and I must say this Carnival cruise was EVERYTHING and more.

My daughter and grandchildren [who have never cruised before] had a superfantabulous time. We ALWAYS made sure to be together for dinner in the MDR and then off to the Phantom Theatre for the pre-show and the show. Seeing the smiles on their faces will stay in my memory bank for a very long time! THANK YOU CARNIVAL!!!!♥♥♥

Carnival really makes sure that there's a smile on your face at every turn. If you're not having a good time onboard......I'd say look inward!!!!

I will board Carnival again and I hope that my children have caught the "bug" too!

Of course, cruising with Horton Jeffrey does lend new meaning to the cruising experience! He makes it so much better, in every way!!!!

I got good news today. Jagger is home with me now for good.

He still needs more training but we are going to work on that together.

Dancing with joy!

Holly

Holly,

I'm so happy for you and Jagger! I wish you much happiness and success in your days together. I know he will complete you and that you will show him a healthy and happy life!!!

Take good care of each other!

Dancing with joy!

Holly

Wow, congratulations!! This is BIG NEWS! Jagger must have shown his sadness to the trainer when he had to go home from Mama Holly's house. Or maybe that pool party showed what a good host he is already.

Very exciting, Holly!

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Dancing with joy!

Holly

Wow - that is wonderful news! Congratulations Holly.

Dianne

Welcome home Aunty Roz and Horty - we were so happy to read you had a wonderful cruise with your family. :D

Oh Holly - congratulations and that is such great news you have Jagger home with you! I just told Aruba that when she finishes school, she will go to live with someone just like Aunty Holly and her lovely family complete with "Grannie" to run to for cuddles and in times of need!!! :rolleyes: (I did love that video and Jagger's face! He's priceless running to Grannie! LOL!) So she will be alright!

So we are now less than three weeks away till "THE DAY" - can you believe Aruba is now 16 months old? Where has the time gone?

We are having a little gathering soon for family and friends who know Aruba to come and have a cup of tea and a "fancy piece" before she heads off - A "fancy piece" is a glamorous cup cake or decadent chocolate cake, or a meringue filled with lots of cream, something nice you would have for an upmarket afternoon tea. A "piece" is an old word for a snack, something like a sandwich for lunch. So years ago a man going to work would take a piece for his lunch. Hopefully it was a "fine piece" meaning it was good and tasty! But it wouldn't of course be a "fancy piece"!!!

So you are all invited ...... Oh my would I have enough fine fancy pieces to go round??? LOL!!

This is Sutter being Sutter when he isn't terrorizing the Yorkie!

NEW%20SUTTER.jpg

Happy news about Davis! :).

Sutter is so cute, but what a little Tink - his expression says it all really! I imagine the Yorkie will oft have an expression I saw regularly on Max's face! :rolleyes: