Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Holy crap, Chris, where the heck do you live, in the middle of the Serengeti?

I'd be a screaming, whirling durbish if I saw anything that you and Raylene have seen and I'd be screaming my bloody head off at her if she ever brought any of it indoors! :eek:

Horton loves to bring me an occasional cricket that he plays with until they're leg-less, then it's my job to find the whisk broom and take the poor thing outside! It ALWAYS gives me the shivers!!!!

My dog and I live in a very sterile environment.......wanna come over?

Yes, would love to! (Too bad we're on the other side of the country! Our new house is in SW Florida, not far from the Gulf of Mexico. But S. Fla. is really lush and tropical with accompanying critters!

Roz--

Jagger and I are doing a Panama Cruise too! But the other way - Miami to San Diego. But you are doing a round trip - bet that will be incredible!!!!

Holly

Can't wait! This ship should fill-up fast! There are lots and lots of folks from this side who have been waiting for this round trip cruise!

It adds an extra 4 days to the cruise........someone's gotta do it! :D

I was so busy at work yesterday. I booked a 19 day Panama Canal cruise, out of L.A. and returning to L.A., finally! Onboard the Island Princess.

For years Morey and I would watch the cruises to the Panama Canal and sure they left out of L.A. but NEVER did they return back to L.A. You ALWAYS had to fly home from Fort Lauderdale.

At last, a complete round trip. I'm very excited and only wish that Morey could enjoy this with me! I'll do it for both of us! ;)

The round trip sounds great. We are going on a Panama Canal cruise too leaving from San Francisco (very near where we live) to Ft. Lauderdale. At least we only have to fly one way. When is your cruise Roz? We don't go until 2016.

Dianne

Raylene won't voluntarily swim either....she just patrols around the pool scanning the screened cage for lizards while we're in every afternoon. She caught one yesterday, pawed it until it went off to gecko heaven, and now considers it her moral imperative to save us from the rest.

The nature preserve behind our house is providing abundant free entertainment until we get the fence installed (a Dogs for the deaf requirement.) A bunny hangs out in the neighborhood yards, and yesterday I spotted a long snakeskin newly shed at the back of our house.

This morning as we returned from our walk, a good-sized armadillo ran out of our shrubbery! I'm talking 18" plus tail! We were both transfixed for a minute watching it trundle back and forth between our house and our neighbors', until Raylene got her wits about her and reacted...it took a few strong tugs then to drag her away.

We had heavy rain this a.m., so my theory is the armadillo got flushed out if its burrow back in the preserve. Ugly critter and some carry diseases.

Stay tuned for more from the animal kingdom.

Wow, if I found a snakeskin in our yard I would immediately be moving to a new house!

Dianne

The round trip sounds great. We are going on a Panama Canal cruise too leaving from San Francisco (very near where we live) to Ft. Lauderdale. At least we only have to fly one way. When is your cruise Roz? We don't go until 2016.

Dianne

November 16, 2016.

Wow, if I found a snakeskin in our yard I would immediately be moving to a new house!

Dianne

Dianne, when I find ant trails I get weird! For some reason, this year has been a very busy year for ants in Los Angeles.

Thank goodness CCI taught me the best thing to cure them; BABY POWDER! It doesn't harm our dogs and even smells good. ANTS HATE IT!!!!

Of course, that white stuff on Horton's nose is very suspicious looking!! :p

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Dianne, when I find ant trails I get weird! For some reason, this year has been a very busy year for ants in Los Angeles.

Thank goodness CCI taught me the best thing to cure them; BABY POWDER! It doesn't harm our dogs and even smells good. ANTS HATE IT!!!!

Of course, that white stuff on Horton's nose is very suspicious looking!! :p

Cinnamon works too. I can just picture Horton with white stuff on his nose, very suspicious!!

Dianne

November 16, 2016.

We will just miss you - we are going October 2016. We had a November 2016 scheduled - we could have waved to you in the canal - but we changed it when Celebrity added an itinerary leaving from San Francisco.

We plan on practicing a shorter flight with the dog before then, maybe Las Vegas because its only about 90 minutes. I have some credits on JetBlue that we need to use. I wish they had more short flights out of San Francisco. To fly anywhere north like Seattle or Alaska you have to fly to LA and then back north.

Dianne

We will just miss you - we are going October 2016. We had a November 2016 scheduled - we could have waved to you in the canal - but we changed it when Celebrity added an itinerary leaving from San Francisco.

We plan on practicing a shorter flight with the dog before then, maybe Las Vegas because its only about 90 minutes. I have some credits on JetBlue that we need to use. I wish they had more short flights out of San Francisco. To fly anywhere north like Seattle or Alaska you have to fly to LA and then back north.

Dianne

It was the round trip thing that was so enticing and 19 days. I love being able to drive to the dock and just dropping off ALL my stuff, rather than having to fly and being restricted on luggage and dependent on others to get us to where we're going.

I've been waiting for one of the major cruise lines to do this r/t Panamal Canal cruise for so long and finally here it is.

Because it's a bit pricey they're throwing in alcohol packages and lots of OBC's. I don't think we can ever have too many goodies thrown at us when we're spending so much on a cruise. The west coast folks are very excited about this! ;)

Roz, I am SOOOO happy for you & Horty to have the no-flight canal cruise to look forward to! And for Dianne and Holly!

We are booked on one next April on Holland America at the OTHER side that also cruises the locks, then returns. Ten days out of Florida, into the Gatun Lake and back out through the locks again and back to Fla.

Bob and I did a 21-day transit from Ft. Lauderdale to Acapulco WAY back in 1983 (we were babies) over Christmas and New Years. Wonderful trip. HOT in the canal, as I recall.

Wear sunscreen and a hat for sure.

Roz, I am SOOOO happy for you & Horty to have the no-flight canal cruise to look forward to! And for Dianne and Holly!

We are booked on one next April on Holland America at the OTHER side that also cruises the locks, then returns. Ten days out of Florida, into the Gatun Lake and back out through the locks again and back to Fla.

Bob and I did a 21-day transit from Ft. Lauderdale to Acapulco WAY back in 1983 (we were babies) over Christmas and New Years. Wonderful trip. HOT in the canal, as I recall.

Wear sunscreen and a hat for sure.

You've had some wonderful journey's in your portfolio. I'm so glad that our dogs can go with us while we explore the world. Horton's a great traveler and does everything like a trooper. He's very patient with me as I lose my car in parking lots and walk the wrong way down cruise ship hallways and on and on. He gives me that "Horton stare" and I just love him for his patience.

He still doesn't like going on tender boats but I've learned that keeping some kibble in my pockets for coaxing goes a long way!

The weather [humidity and heat] are my two most disliked conditions. I will take your advice on the sunscreen and big hat.

We, here on the west coast, don't have a lot of choices when it comes to destinations for cruising so this is very exciting.

Ron, you'd love the Florida weather we're getting since moving to the SW part of the state. Rain every day, rain and more rain - enough to cure the western drought.

Rained when the moving van was here yesterday. Torrential rain today when we went to get FL car tags. I was proud of Raylene, by the way, for snoozing so peacefully at my feet while we were at the county offices doing business. She's such a good girl.

HAPPY WEEKEND TO ALL!

Hi everyone. Just catching up with everyone's news. Love the photos! This week I've been busy with workmen - they are like buses, no sign of them for ages and then 3 turn up all at once! :rolleyes:

So here we are, the last weekend with our darling girl Aruba. She's ready to go, she needs a job and her little case is ready and waiting to be packed. I had a lovely phone call from the girl at the kennels at the training centre to tell me she would be looking after Aruba when she arrives and she wanted to know all about her - her routine, food, toileting (they are trained to go on command and Aruba is pretty good at going just before we go out anywhere, unless she's already been recently and I get a "look"!), which surface she goes on - (as we know some dogs prefer grass to concrete, but she goes on any) - has she any special toys - oh yes, Piggy! She sounded really nice and a true doggy caring person, so I was delighted to get this phone call and know who would be looking after my girl. She also told me she would phone me the day after she arrives and let me know how she's settling in - phew that was a relief too and I will worry till I know she's ok. She will have a new doggy friend to share a kennel with and lots of playtime and activities to keep her occupied. Then she starts her formal training with lots of one to one with the trainers. I got the feeling she was well used to dealing with "anxious mummies"!!! Oh and she has a note on her record that if Aruba doesn't like school and they don't want her to go do anything else, she's coming home to us.

The training centre are having an open day almost as soon as we are back from our cruise, so we are going and hope we will see Aruba and maybe she will be part of a display team to show visitors what they do there.

We had a lovely ChocAruba tea party last weekend - lots of friends and family came to see her and wish her well. I've some photos to share and will post them soon.

There is no doubt we will miss her terribly but she's off to do her job. Forward and onward as they say with a stiff upper lip! :rolleyes:

Ron, you'd love the Florida weather we're getting since moving to the SW part of the state. Rain every day, rain and more rain - enough to cure the western drought.

Rained when the moving van was here yesterday. Torrential rain today when we went to get FL car tags. I was proud of Raylene, by the way, for snoozing so peacefully at my feet while we were at the county offices doing business. She's such a good girl.

HAPPY WEEKEND TO ALL!

When I first got Horton my offices had a wonderful, fenced grassy area in the back for him to walk, play and go potty [brenda got to enjoy that all of her working life.] Then, we moved our offices to a more corporate structure and there was nothing but asphalt and cement abound.

Our parking is in an underground garage so I called Doggie and The City and they delivered a 5x5 potty box with grass sod for filler. Perfect for avoiding the cars that consistently did not see Horton walking [on leash] next to me. After almost getting hit twice I decided the potty box was the answer.

I don't have to worry about staying out of the elements, since in L.A. our true, most frequent element is the sun!

We do the war dance for rain but to no avail.......Please feel free to send some our way! :p

Hi everyone. Just catching up with everyone's news. Love the photos! This week I've been busy with workmen - they are like buses, no sign of them for ages and then 3 turn up all at once! :rolleyes:

So here we are, the last weekend with our darling girl Aruba. She's ready to go, she needs a job and her little case is ready and waiting to be packed. I had a lovely phone call from the girl at the kennels at the training centre to tell me she would be looking after Aruba when she arrives and she wanted to know all about her - her routine, food, toileting (they are trained to go on command and Aruba is pretty good at going just before we go out anywhere, unless she's already been recently and I get a "look"!), which surface she goes on - (as we know some dogs prefer grass to concrete, but she goes on any) - has she any special toys - oh yes, Piggy! She sounded really nice and a true doggy caring person, so I was delighted to get this phone call and know who would be looking after my girl. She also told me she would phone me the day after she arrives and let me know how she's settling in - phew that was a relief too and I will worry till I know she's ok. She will have a new doggy friend to share a kennel with and lots of playtime and activities to keep her occupied. Then she starts her formal training with lots of one to one with the trainers. I got the feeling she was well used to dealing with "anxious mummies"!!! Oh and she has a note on her record that if Aruba doesn't like school and they don't want her to go do anything else, she's coming home to us.

The training centre are having an open day almost as soon as we are back from our cruise, so we are going and hope we will see Aruba and maybe she will be part of a display team to show visitors what they do there.

We had a lovely ChocAruba tea party last weekend - lots of friends and family came to see her and wish her well. I've some photos to share and will post them soon.

There is no doubt we will miss her terribly but she's off to do her job. Forward and onward as they say with a stiff upper lip! :rolleyes:

Goosebumps and tears are all I can feel and see right now!!!!

Awwww! Fairbourne and Aruba, you've filled our senses with such delight in the past year. Your experiences, both fitful and fun filled will not be forgotten.

We love you and will think of ALL of you this next week. It's so good to know that Aruba will have a "buddy" to keep her company so that she won't feel so alone during training.

You ALL have made us so proud in this journey. We hope that no matter what happens that YOU ALL know you've done your very best ♥

Enjoy your weekend together......Get all those hugs and massages in.

Fairbourne, please whisper in Aruba's ear; "Horton and Roz will love you forever and for always!"

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Goosebumps and tears are all I can feel and see right now!!!!

Awwww! Fairbourne and Aruba, you've filled our senses with such delight in the past year. Your experiences, both fitful and fun filled will not be forgotten.

We love you and will think of ALL of you this next week. It's so good to know that Aruba will have a "buddy" to keep her company so that she won't feel so alone during training.

You ALL have made us so proud in this journey. We hope that no matter what happens that YOU ALL know you've done your very best ♥

Enjoy your weekend together......Get all those hugs and massages in.

Fairbourne, please whisper in Aruba's ear; "Horton and Roz will love you forever and for always!"

Oh oh Oh, I was ok till I read the last request ................ I will and thank you Roz and Horton .............

Holly - I can hardly see to type this - yes they are very good with us PW mummies!

There is definitely no doubt that you will miss that sweet girl. The call from the training center was a very nice thing to do, it sounds like Aruba will be well cared for. You must be so proud of her! I know I am. I am sure that if she makes it through training she is going to be a god send to someone who really needs her.

Dianne