Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I hear you Roz. I do tend to get worse treatment when I try to do the right thing and call ahead. While it has always worked out on Amtrak, there agents over the phone are the worst. Actually, it all worked out today and the Special Needs dept. called back. Apparently they have had a huge increase of individuals bringing dogs on and saying they are service dogs, so they are trying to only let the legit ones through. Interestingly enough, the guy that did the research at Amtrak has an autistic son, so we ended up chatting on how Werin assists Cameron and what a change she has made. We are all set for the trip to Montreal and then back from Boston. In fact, he gave us an extra seat for Werin without charging so we would have enough room. It all worked out, just a bit of consternation yesterday.

It was a good lesson for me though. I need to be better prepared and ready to describe the specific functions that Werin does. I was caught a little off guard, but after re-reading the reg's yesterday, I should be ready to answer with specific things that Werin does such as 1) Sensory input control 2) Safety due to "flight syndrome" and 3) Therapy due to stimming, rather than my usual answer of just plain old, "licensed disability service dog". We ran into another problem last week in a CVS in Washington D.C. where they were asking all the "wrong" questions about Werin and told us to leave. After being firm, I did the same as you and asked them to call the police, so that they could be informed.

Unfortunately there is a real increase of pets being brought along as service or comfort animals. We have seen it ourselves, as common as last week, when a dog that was clearly not trained started acting out while on a harness on the Metro in D.C. Sadly, I think we will be asked much more about Werin as we are going along nowadays, unless there is new legislation that closes some of the holes in the current guidelines.

Funny story about our trip to Washington D.C. last week. The bomb sniffing dog at the Acela Train started going crazy with barking and jumping up and down when Werin walked by, but Werin didn't even look up -- she's so GOOD!

Edited by dvdfreakmc

So proud of Cameron and I neglected to post a photo for you -- http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1976976&l=41fe3258d3&id=648466808 Cameron (Fifth grade) volunteered to speak at the Autism booth at his school health fair. I helped him prepare a 4 min. speech which included questions and answers about Autism and how Werin helps him. There were about 25 groups of 10 or so children in each group. While he was VERY nervous the day before, he did GREAT (a reward of a Lego toy never hurt anything). From a guy that barely talked when he received Werin, to giving speeches at school - he has come a long way baby!

Holy cow! That gave me goose bumps about Cameron and of course Werin. I am also, so proud of him. Don't tell me animals don't sooth the soul. Give Cameron a hug and tell him we are all rooting for him. And Werin gets scratches and kudos for being such a good girl. You guys have a great team. :D

Peter: What a great story of Cameron and Werin! I, too, have the goosebump and tears in the eyes thing going on. I swear, we all belong to each other. I'm so proud of Cameron and I'm so happy that your family found CCI. Aren't these dogs "miracle makers"!

I have also heard some stories of people who are trying to pass-off their dogs as SD's. I totally understand how comforting their pets are to them however, if they only knew the difficulty and damage that they are creating for people who depend on their SD's every day. I hope that some of them are reading these threads and can understand the difference that Werin has made in Cameron's life and, how, by trying to pass their pets as Service Dogs only makes Cameron's success's that much harder for him and so many others just like him.

OK, first off - bravo Cameron!!!! What an awesome, and inspiring, story for all of us who live our lives with a child with autism. They are the most amazing kids to me - totally special. Way to go, buddy :D

Now for my silly SD question - because of the issues all of you are experiencing with your dogs and 'imposters' (if I can use that term) passing off untrained dogs as SD, do your guys not wear some sort of vest indicating their oh so important job???

Miriam

Canine Companions for Independence (CCI) does use Service Dog vests, with their logo on each side. Some Orgs. do not.

When Brenda is out in public and at work she's got her vest on. The vest has two zippered pouches, allowing for her "pooh bags", my car keys and some extra money for shopping (at least that's what I use them for!)

It is not required by the Dept. of Justice or the ADA for the dog to wear a vest. However, that said, it sure makes life easier, in most cases.

Sometimes, it doesn't matter......some places don't even see the vest, they just see the dog and go balistic!!!!!

Puppies in training actually wear a "cape", no pockets, just an identifiable cape to alert the public to the fact that the dog is in public to learn how to socialize with humans, noises, etc.

Canine Companions for Independence (CCI) does use Service Dog vests, with their logo on each side. Some Orgs. do not.

When Brenda is out in public and at work she's got her vest on. The vest has two zippered pouches, allowing for her "pooh bags", my car keys and some extra money for shopping (at least that's what I use them for!)

It is not required by the Dept. of Justice or the ADA for the dog to wear a vest. However, that said, it sure makes life easier, in most cases.

Sometimes, it doesn't matter......some places don't even see the vest, they just see the dog and go balistic!!!!!

Puppies in training actually wear a "cape", no pockets, just an identifiable cape to alert the public to the fact that the dog is in public to learn how to socialize with humans, noises, etc.

Thanks Roz,

I would have thought that a vest would have been mandatory to alert the public that the dog is 'on duty' and therefore should not be disturbed.

Had no idea there was no standard, so to speak, to identify these dogs.

Miriam

OK, first off - bravo Cameron!!!! What an awesome, and inspiring, story for all of us who live our lives with a child with autism. They are the most amazing kids to me - totally special. Way to go, buddy :D

Now for my silly SD question - because of the issues all of you are experiencing with your dogs and 'imposters' (if I can use that term) passing off untrained dogs as SD, do your guys not wear some sort of vest indicating their oh so important job???

Miriam

Not a silly question at all. Werin ALWAYS wears her vest in public, but I can understand why we are "challenged" about it all the time. Werin has two harnesses, one for me and one from Cameron. They are both leashes and not a seeing eye dog type of harness. Dogs trained for individuals with Autism was a VERY new thing when Cameron received Werin a few years ago, and still it is not the norm. Cameron is mobile as am I, so we generally expect many more questions than the more traditional team, since Werin does look like a pet, except for her badge. Of course, the challenges are far smaller than the number of people that come up and ask all sorts of questions about how Werin helps. Most people think we are training her for CCI and say as such, but we just mention that she is working and has been for 4 years. Actually, some likely look at us and think we are passing off our "pet" as a service dog, which is why we get so many confrontations as we don't fit the norm of what people are expecting, but then seizure alert dogs don't really look the norm either. Also, Cameron's dog really performs many of the same functions as dogs that assist non-mobile facilitators, but because we are mobile and up walking around - it just isn't obvious to folks.

I understand, but sometimes having to explain yourself and getting challenged much of the time does make it hard and you get down, but I just need to remember that letting people know about what Werin does really help for others that will follow.

Because the current laws are designed to prevent discrimination and allow access to service dogs, they are quite broad, which doesn't give business people much recourse if they suspect that a dog is a pet vs. a service dog. They can't ask about the disability, but only whether the dog is a service animal and what functions they perform. Anyone can buy a badge from an online retailer, and there are no training standards required by law. Of course CCI and many other training programs follow guidelines and testing protocols from the national and internationl guide dog organizations, but it does make it difficult for business owners to distinguish and ask the right questions unless they really know what they are doing.

On the other side, if the laws were tightened too much, then some of the disabled would not be able to utilize dogs as many programs charge for the expense or the waiting lists for places like CCI would be much longer.

Last year I believe, CCI was asked to contribute guidelines to proposed new legislation to address this specific issue, as the broad outlines of the ADA for service animals is creating some problems as the definitions are not well defined.

Edited by dvdfreakmc

You can buy a SD badge online??? That is so not right!!!

It does sound like CCI has a standard vest and that is wonderful to hear. It must be so terrible to have to explain the why's ... so not fair to all of you.

I do have to say that my family situation with my daughter would appear very similar to Cameron's family. Hannah is totally mobile and even one of her doctors says she is 'almost there' (his terms) - love this man to death and I take it in only the best of ways. He calls her quirky :D

If you spend time with her you then realize her difficulties in coping with day to day things (she immediately noticed - and got upset - when I moved a picture frame from one shelf to the next and it is only 1" x 1" - that is how set and observant she is! LOL). I can totally understand how a SD would serve her well.

On that front, I have sort of halted my search for now. My current dog is going to 13 in a few days and is starting to show some signs of that advanced age. My focus needs to be on him for the time being while the SD search is put onto the back burner ... for now!!!

Miriam

I am embarassed to say, but when we got Reno, in 1995, the following summer, 1996, we met a couple who had a black lab and their sister had a yellow. They had or had made service vests that allowed their "pets" to travel on airlines in the cabin department instead of the bins (back then) I did not understand all the ramifications, except it was "wrong" for them to push their pets off as SD. Until I started working with special needs and came across your wonderful thread, I did not think about it until then. Now I know what a disservice it has done to those that really have SD, need them and have to have them with them. I hadn't really thought about it again until you guys started talking about the difficulties you have "proving" that your furbabies are what they are. Being an honest person tends to make one naive. I can't even think what it would be like to be a parent of an autistic child. Just working with them has humbled me beyond words. I am so in awe of you guys that I can't even put it in words. I know we do what we have to do. Raising a 6 year old grandson because his mother is not fit to do it only gets half way to where you guys are. I know I wouldn't have it any other way any more than any of you would. God bless Cameron and Hannah and their wonderful parents and furbabies. I wish I could be closer to you guys and work first hand with them. What a delight!

Nancy

God bless Cameron and Hannah and their wonderful parents and furbabies. I wish I could be closer to you guys and work first hand with them. What a delight!

Nancy

Thank you for the really kind words Nancy but honestly being Hannah's mom is easy - yes, she has her moments (gee, I think I do too!). For the most part, I don't think I'm doing anything special. She is just a great kid!! :D I would bet that Cameron is equally as wonderful!

Miriam

PS. Wish you were closer too so you could meet her!

PPS. How are you doing?

I need to be better prepared and ready to describe the specific functions that Werin does. I was caught a little off guard, but after re-reading the reg's yesterday, I should be ready to answer with specific things that Werin does such as 1) Sensory input control 2) Safety due to "flight syndrome" and 3) Therapy due to stimming, rather than my usual answer of just plain old, "licensed disability service dog".

You need to answer what tasks the dog has been trained to do that mitigate the disability, not what parts of the disability are mitigated. They cannot ask about the disability and you likely don't want to tell them, either. I don't know what tasks Werin does, so I can't give you an example about him, but take me for example. Some of my issues are with mobility (such as balance) and energy (lack thereof), but I don't tell businesses that those are some of the things my dog helps with nor can they ask about them. I tell them she helps me walk (tasks like balance and counter-balance) and she retrieves items for me (items I've dropped or can't reach at the moment and such).

And you never want to use the word "therapy" (or "emotional support" or "comfort" or "companion" or any similar word) when describing a service dog, as you don't want the business thinking you're trying to pass a therapy dog or emotional support dog off as a service dog just to bring them with you. If you said that word to Amtrak, I can see why they denied you. You have to be careful how you word things, especially with all the ppl trying to bring their pets places these days.

Miriam;

I would be honored to meet Hannah. Don't we all have our moments? :D I am doing ok. I finally got mom here and it is turning into a challenge taking care of her. Not a big deal, just can get frustrating. Her memory isn't what it use to be on some things, but great on others. We shall get thru this also.

As for Reno, I come and go. I opened a piece of cheese the other night and started crying. Reno and I always shared our cheese. I swear he could hear a cheese wrapper from 20 miles away! :) I still look for him to be stretched out across the hall and hear him barking in the back yard to come in. It is all happy thoughts and I know he is happy too! No more pain.

Nancy

Quam: Good to hear from you. Yes, we must watch what we say when speaking with the public about our SD's. Too bad!

Miriam: Unbelieveable that there are vests, badges, signs, etc., that can be purchased online and, that can turn a "non-service" dog into a Service Dog! We have many challenges to overcome when walking or wheeling with a Service Dog.....but, this is the worst.

Nancy: I know each day without Reno is a different sort of day. I hope that each one becomes easier and easier for you.

I miss him too, I miss your wonderfully funny stories about your "bad boy!" Now, I share your loss and always tear-up when you talk about him!

Peter, What a great story about Cameron and Werin!! It just goes to

show how much these dogs do for us.

Nancy, I just opened a piece of cheese to give Bailee her pills and read your post. Of course I started to cry with you. It's strange how some things trigger our memories. What dog doesn't come running when the cheese is opened. Rangeley and Bailee used to share a piece if I was making a sandwich or when I needed to sneak a pill to one of them.

Today is our telephone interview with CCI. We are very excited and very nervous. The application process is moving on alot quicker that we anticipated. The first step was suppose to take 2 to 4 weeks, and here we are on step 3 after only 3 weeks. John is very ready for another dog. Me, I still have mixed feelings about it. I am most concerned about Bailee. After being attacked, I don't know how she is going to be with another dog. We will have to stress that we really need a dog that is going to get along with an older dog. I'll let everyone know how it went later.

Cindy & John

Cindy;

How exciting! I hope Bailee can see that "the other" dog will be there to help Dad and a working dog. I hope she can get thru it too. Reno was rolled by a big Airdale. From that day on he didn't like any other dogs to get close to him. He didn't care what size there were. It was hard to explain to people "Yes, he is a lab, yes he loves "people", not so much other dogs." They would insist that their dog gets along with everyone. It would only take one little snarl from Reno and then they usually got it.......He was more tolerant towards puppies.

Let us know how your process is going. We are all excited with you.:D

Nancy

Today is our telephone interview with CCI. We are very excited and very nervous. The application process is moving on alot quicker that we anticipated. The first step was suppose to take 2 to 4 weeks, and here we are on step 3 after only 3 weeks. John is very ready for another dog. Me, I still have mixed feelings about it. I am most concerned about Bailee. After being attacked, I don't know how she is going to be with another dog. We will have to stress that we really need a dog that is going to get along with an older dog. I'll let everyone know how it went later.

Cindy & John

When we brought Orson home, it was to our nine year old yellow Lab and a four year old Yorkie. Orson is such a submissive dog, as are all CCI dogs, that their was never a problem. We let the dogs meet in the front yard and Orson went on his back and there was never a question who was in charge. The only thing we have to watch out for is our yellow Lab trying the old dominance "hump" once in a while.

The telephone interview is nothing to worry about.

Yeh! Cindy! I'm so excited for you both. CCI dogs are wonderful about other dogs......they're raised with a huge contingency of dog personalities. Everything will be fine, they'll grow to love/hate each other, just like siblings do. You know that "who brought the new baby in my house" thing!

Please let us know how it goes and certainly before you actually go to TeamTraining.

Nancy: Have you seen the thread about "Shogun", the wonderful Samoyed who just lost his battle with cancer? His owner was sharing with Cruise Critic members the day of his passing. It's been such an emotional week, as we all faced the immortality of our own fur-friends.

Someone had sent in an amazing poem and Host Caroline shared the story of how her vet took a paw print from her dog and placed it on the poem and handed it to her after her dog went to sleep.

The thread is on the Princess boards under "Shogun", it's wonderful/helpful but very sad reading.

Roz;

Thank you for sending me over to the Princess board. What a great poem. Says it all. I still have tears in my eyes, but I am at peace that it was the right thing to do.

Nancy

You're so welcome.....and, we all know that Reno is more comfortable now and he's grateful to you for that........Take good care of YOU!

Sorry I have been away for a couple of days and my work computer doesn't allow me to the boards. Guess they know I would be here all day:D

Miriam - Hannah sounds a lot like Cameron now. Cameron has some speech issues, but I agree "nearly there" and "quirky" He is a big hit at school right now as he can sink a basketball like no one else (at least that is what he says) I agree with you. Being a Dad of an child with special needs is a gift. He has taught me so much over the years that it isn't a burden at all. Sure there are times he is a pill, but there are times I am as well. ha, ha.

Quampapetet - You are right, of course. I should have had my list out for all the things that Werin does for Cameron and you are right - Therapy is a no-no when describing public access situations. I just got caught off guard.

Nancy - Werin is a HUGE cheese hound. She can tell when I am opening the fridge for my cheese fix before I even grab for it. Thanks for you comments about Cameron and Susan and I as his parents, but I am a firm believer that we are given what we can handle, and Cameron has helped stretch me and grow, just like any child. Sure, when we got his diagnosis I had a sense of loss and grief, but I am constantly reminded that Cameron's way of seeing the world seems completely normal to him and while we try to adjust his view of the world to make it easier and more acceptable to others - he has unique gifts that he gives to everyone.

Cindy and John - what an exciting time - the application process. I remember getting the call for the interview so well. The trip over, getting time off work. Of course on the day of the interview it was a TERRIBLE day for Cameron. He wouldn't interact with the dogs and couldn't sit to listen to anything. We went into the office at the end, and they brought in the dogs for one last chance to see if Cameron interacted with them at all - and all of a sudden, he just opened up and hugged them and laugh like he hadn't in a terribly long time. I think everyone's breath was taken away, but especially mine. It was a short small vision of the life that Cameron could have after learning how to bond with a living thing and then learn to bond with us. It was a pretty amazing day.

Roz - Can't say enough how much I appreciate you starting this board so that we can talk not only about the logistics of taking a service dog on a cruise, but share our lives with each other and our furry helpers. Your dedication to the board and us is really amazing!

Edited by dvdfreakmc

Peter: I hadn't shed one tear, all day! I was proud of myself! Then, you told Cameron's story and I'm filled with goosebumps and tears.

You, are an amazing father and how lucky Cameron is to have you in his life and how lucky for all of you that Werin came into all of your lives, she was born for you.

And, you are so welcome! I love this thread! I'm so glad that we've all met each other and brought each other through so many rough and especially beautiful times. I've learned a lot from all of you!

I especially love our moderator who keeps it on the front page for all of us to see and for new folks like Cindy and John, to share their experience of getting a new Service Dog with us. Walt, thank you for that!

Peter: I hadn't shed one tear, all day! I was proud of myself! Then, you told Cameron's story and I'm filled with goosebumps and tears.

You, are an amazing father and how lucky Cameron is to have you in his life and how lucky for all of you that Werin came into all of your lives, she was born for you.

And, you are so welcome! I love this thread! I'm so glad that we've all met each other and brought each other through so many rough and especially beautiful times. I've learned a lot from all of you!

I especially love our moderator who keeps it on the front page for all of us to see and for new folks like Cindy and John, to share their experience of getting a new Service Dog with us. Walt, thank you for that!

I want to thank the moderators of this thread too!!!! It is the best and something I check in on daily - and I don't even have a cruise booked :)

Miriam

Miriam - Hannah sounds a lot like Cameron now. Cameron has some speech issues, but I agree "nearly there" and "quirky" He is a big hit at school right now as he can sink a basketball like no one else (at least that is what he says) I agree with you. Being a Dad of an child with special needs is a gift. He has taught me so much over the years that it isn't a burden at all. Sure there are times he is a pill, but there are times I am as well. ha, ha.

It truly is a gift, isn't it - I am sure we parents all cried a few dozen tears after that 'diagnosis' was announced but if we'd only known then what these kids would teach us (and will continue to) ... boy!

I do have a question for you though - you mentioned that Cameron wouldn't interact with the dogs at all during your interview process (but eventually did). I'm thinking in terms of Hannah right now and how she would handle the situation. I'm worried that when the time comes (look at me being so confident that it WILL happen!!!!), she will appear afraid of them. Yes, she has been raised with dogs all her life - two dogs met her at the door upon release from the hospital - but I know her sensory issues are really the root of the problem. She really doesn't want them close (soft touch, a brush, for example, is sheer torture).

I know all cases are different especially when it comes to autism but would you know if she would even pass the prelim stage of screening??? I would like to hear all opinions on this question actually.

I know I said I put the SD search onto the back burner for now but upon futher thought, I thought I should actually keep it going despite my wonderful Finn's advanced age.

Miriam