Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

It truly is a gift, isn't it - I am sure we parents all cried a few dozen tears after that 'diagnosis' was announced but if we'd only known then what these kids would teach us (and will continue to) ... boy!

I do have a question for you though - you mentioned that Cameron wouldn't interact with the dogs at all during your interview process (but eventually did). I'm thinking in terms of Hannah right now and how she would handle the situation. I'm worried that when the time comes (look at me being so confident that it WILL happen!!!!), she will appear afraid of them. Yes, she has been raised with dogs all her life - two dogs met her at the door upon release from the hospital - but I know her sensory issues are really the root of the problem. She really doesn't want them close (soft touch, a brush, for example, is sheer torture).

I know all cases are different especially when it comes to autism but would you know if she would even pass the prelim stage of screening??? I would like to hear all opinions on this question actually.

I know I said I put the SD search onto the back burner for now but upon futher thought, I thought I should actually keep it going despite my wonderful Finn's advanced age.

Miriam

Most programs have a waiting list, so I would agree with you to put it back on the front burner. I know that if a dog becomes available, and it is not the right time for you, most programs will then just let you stay on top of the list. At least, that is the experience that was shared with me from several service dog recepients.

Quampapetet - You are right, of course. I should have had my list out for all the things that Werin does for Cameron and you are right - Therapy is a no-no when describing public access situations. I just got caught off guard.

Yeah, it can catch us off guard at times, especially if we're used to no access issues. It is a good idea to practice knowing what you'd say should an access challenge or access questioning ever happen.

Miriam,

Prior to the interview we had the same thoughts. Cameron at that time was rated as severely autistic and couldn't really get through a day of class or deal with others at all. Sensory issue galore. I remember that he used to spend half the day sitting in the corner with the teachers at his pre-school.

So we weren't sure the whole service dog experience would work out, but it was at a time when we were trying anything for Cameron. We took trips, got him out in public, had people coming to the house - sort of all in, all the time to try to get more of those brain pathways going. So when we went for the interview in Long Island, we were hopeful but ready if they said they wouldn't think it would work. We arrived and much of the interview process was a group session, where you learn about the dogs and have some interaction time. They also explained about the team training and what would be required. When they said it was 8 hours of instruction each day, with homework, for two full weeks, we certainly didn't know how Cameron would get through that, if at all.

During a part of the group interview process Cameron had a melt down and we had to take him out, all the while figuring, "Well that's it, guess we are done here" After the group session, they took us into the office and told us what we knew was coming, "We think that Cameron and you are great candidates, but we have to make sure that Cameron would even be aware of the dogs and be able to interact (which hadn't really happened yet that day). Thats when the change occurred and Cameron really opened up and resolved all doubts that this would work.

Of course, once we got the invite for team training, it started another anxiety attack. How would he sit through 8 hours of adult style learning and not completely break down every day. With our dear in-home therapist we started on a plan. CCI gave us very early the schedule for every day and exactly what would happen when. We then created a PECS style check off board with Star Wars figures (his favorite) so that he knew what was coming next and how long until a break. We then practiced with different rewards to get him through first a couple of hours, then eventually a full day. Then we headed off for our two weeks. Cameron was six, so we had to take him out of school and had homework for him to do during the adult lecure times, then he would pull off each section of the agenda after it was done and go to practicing with the dog. With all the prep he really got into it and while we had a couple of issues, nothing that prevented us from making it to the testing phase.

Hopefully, this gives you enough information to know that you can make it through. The gift of the SD on the other end is great and Werin has changed Cameron's life for the better and everyone from his teachers, therapists and friends all see the difference that making that first connection with other being (Werin) make in how he has learned to make connections with others.

You are right that each individual with autism has different needs, capabilities and ways of dealing with the outside world, so I don't know if our experience is typical or not. We do have a general bias in our approach that we push ourselves and Cameron to get out there and try new things, experience new places and change things up. Sometimes this has been really traumatic for all of us (our trip to Italy that was already planned once we got his diagnosis and we decided to go anyway) but each time we have seen him stretch and become more flexible, even if at the time it was pulling all our strength to get through whatever we were doing.

So I'd say, go for it. Get on a waiting list. We always think - well what is the worst that could happen - I guess they could say no, but we still had a new experience for Cameron in the interview.

And again Peter tells us an amazing story that brings tears to my eyes! How wonderful that Cameron all of a sudden had a reaction to the dogs. It is something you'll never forget. Thank you for sharing.

Well we had our interview on the phone yesterday. I didn't get on the phone, I just listened to John. It was only 20 min long. We really didn't really have any questions, since we already had a service dog and know the process. I did find out that I will get my own dog to work with. I'm excited but.... I am more of a behind the scenes kind of person. Not really used to being in the spotlight. But I will do the best I can. I know the commands and how to handle the dog but I will be very nervous. I guess we passed the phone interview because they are sending us the medical part of the application to fill out. Then the face to face interview. Ugh! We will be very nervous for that!!

And again Peter tells us an amazing story that brings tears to my eyes! How wonderful that Cameron all of a sudden had a reaction to the dogs. It is something you'll never forget. Thank you for sharing.

Well we had our interview on the phone yesterday. I didn't get on the phone, I just listened to John. It was only 20 min long. We really didn't really have any questions, since we already had a service dog and know the process. I did find out that I will get my own dog to work with. I'm excited but.... I am more of a behind the scenes kind of person. Not really used to being in the spotlight. But I will do the best I can. I know the commands and how to handle the dog but I will be very nervous. I guess we passed the phone interview because they are sending us the medical part of the application to fill out. Then the face to face interview. Ugh! We will be very nervous for that!!

I'm very glad your interview went well. Did you interview with someone from the Long Island campus? If so, who was it?

The face to face interview is easier than the one on the phone. And you will get to see the campus. The first couple of days of team training can be a little intimidating because all the trainers and the rest of the class are watching you. But then you see that everyone is in the same boat as you. And you already have experience.

On a side note...we just found out that because we are IAADP members, we get a 50% discount on Muttluks for Orson. We are ordering is boots today. :)

DisneyKidsDad, We interviewed with a woman named Jessica. She was very nice and helpful. And she was from the Long Island Campus as far as I know. John did mention Cruise Critic and she asked about a family that goes to Disney alot. We assumed it was you. Thanks for your words of encouragement about training. I know it will be an experience of a lifetime and something very few get to do!

Edited by rangeley

DisneyKidsDad, We interviewed with a woman named Jessica. She was very nice and helpful. And she was from the Long Island Campus as far as I know. John did mention Cruise Critic and she asked about a family that goes to Disney alot. We assumed it was you. Thanks for your words of encouragement about training. I know it will be an experience of a lifetime and something very few get to do!

Jess is one of the sweetest people you will ever have the pleasure of meeting. She is the applications coordinator. She was also our

"dorm mother" for the two weeks we were there. Which means she was the person who stayed overnight with us. We became and remain very good friends with her. And yes, we are the family she was talking about.

After you graduate as a Team, CCI offers workshops about once or twice a year....they are so good for learning how to do deal with specific problems you may be having or just re-connecting with the trainers and fellow classmates and they have demonstrations that are so helpful.

CCI is with you during the entire time you have your dog to help and make sure that you are a successful Team.

During these workshops you get to meet ALL the graduates not just the ones from your particular class and I'm always amazed by the families of the autistic children. Watching them deal with their children and watching the children interact with their dogs is a miracle!!!!!

Cindy, your process is really moving along.....I'm so happy for you both. Don't forget to bring your own pillow and other comfort items that will help in making your Team Training and Graduation a very positive experience.

CCI will provide you with everything that you'll need for your new dog partner.

DisneyKidsDad, Jessica seemed really nice and we are looking forward to meeting her.

Roz, We are moving along rather quickly. BUT they make sure to tell us that even if we are accepted to the waiting list, it's still 1 to 2 years to get a dog. She did say sometimes sooner and she said alot depends on how flexible our schedule is for the training. Luckily John can get any time off he needs and he doesn't work during the summer.

I don't know if any of you have seen the news letter from CCI but this is just the dog we want. Everything about this dog is what we are looking for. Skipper is perfect, I hope they find one just like him. http://www.cci.org/site/c.cdKGIRNqEmG/b.4434467/k.6FD7/Puppy_Raising_Stories.htm?msource=enews0309&tr=y&auid=4663147

Edited by rangeley

It truly is a gift, isn't it - I am sure we parents all cried a few dozen tears after that 'diagnosis' was announced but if we'd only known then what these kids would teach us (and will continue to) ... boy!

I do have a question for you though - you mentioned that Cameron wouldn't interact with the dogs at all during your interview process (but eventually did). I'm thinking in terms of Hannah right now and how she would handle the situation. I'm worried that when the time comes (look at me being so confident that it WILL happen!!!!), she will appear afraid of them. Yes, she has been raised with dogs all her life - two dogs met her at the door upon release from the hospital - but I know her sensory issues are really the root of the problem. She really doesn't want them close (soft touch, a brush, for example, is sheer torture).

I know all cases are different especially when it comes to autism but would you know if she would even pass the prelim stage of screening??? I would like to hear all opinions on this question actually.

I know I said I put the SD search onto the back burner for now but upon futher thought, I thought I should actually keep it going despite my wonderful Finn's advanced age.

Miriam

Miriam, good for you for keeping your options open. This may the door that opens yours and your daughters world......

And on another note, I am now certified to work in the nursery! I don't know if I like snuggling the new born puppies or watching their sweet mamas the best. I still work with the big dogs, but the nursery is fun as well.

AWWWWW! How much fun is that? I love to visit the nursery when we're at CCI.....those pudgy tummies, big eyes, floopy ears and feet....nothing seems to fit, everything is too big and there's so much growing into all of it to be done......they're so, so cute!!!!!!!

And, to think of the difference that these little monkey's will make in someone's life is truly a miracle in the making!!!!!

By going to team training in February, it took about a year off the wait. We applied the day Cam turned 5

When I first applied to CCI it was the year 2000 and I was told that the waiting period was anywhere from 2 to 5 years......It seemed like forever. I waited a little under 2 years and graduated with Brenda in 2002.

Everytime I would get mail from CCI (with that wonderful blue and yellow logo on it) I would get so excited, like a little kid! It was the very first piece of mail that I would open. When I got the letter telling me that I was invited to Team Training with an actual date on it......I just cried! I was so, so happy. Next to my family, going to Team Training and bringing Brenda home with me was the most joyful experience of my life.

What sorts of experiences have y'all had sailing on Carnival with your SDs?

I wanted one of the corner wrap-around balcony cabins, but the price I was looking at was the wrong one (the one where the deposit isn't refundable), so I didn't go with that one. I went with one of the L-shaped cabins next to those (on the side of the ship) - the balcony is 75 sq. ft. (as opposed to the usual 35 sq. ft.), so there will be room for a potty box, and the area from the door to the outside wall is clear of furniture (the bed is on another wall, facing the balcony), making for a running lane for doggy exercise. ;)

Because of my issues with Royal Caribbean last time, I am seriously looking into buying one of those portable doggy potties and bringing it with me on the cruise for the balcony. However, the large Pup-Head is $300! Does anybody know of any cheaper doggy potties (with faux grass - I saw a neat kind that was cheap, but it only uses real grass)?

Quam: Carnival is very accommodating, now! They have learned their lesson. They supply the potty box with paper pellets (that was last year, maybe they've changed), and, they will put it on your veranda.

They also supplied us with a great door sign that stated, "Please do not enter, Service Dog inside!" So, if you have to leave your dog in the cabin, they totally understand and want you bother comfortable.

I have not tried the portable potty box's yet. I really haven't had the need. The cruiselines have been very willing to make us comfortable and to make it convenient for us.

I would Carnival them for SD travel. They were very anxious to please.

Have a wonderful cruise. Your cabin sounds wonderful!

Miriam,

Prior to the interview we had the same thoughts. Cameron at that time was rated as severely autistic and couldn't really get through a day of class or deal with others at all. Sensory issue galore. I remember that he used to spend half the day sitting in the corner with the teachers at his pre-school.

So we weren't sure the whole service dog experience would work out, but it was at a time when we were trying anything for Cameron. We took trips, got him out in public, had people coming to the house - sort of all in, all the time to try to get more of those brain pathways going. So when we went for the interview in Long Island, we were hopeful but ready if they said they wouldn't think it would work. We arrived and much of the interview process was a group session, where you learn about the dogs and have some interaction time. They also explained about the team training and what would be required. When they said it was 8 hours of instruction each day, with homework, for two full weeks, we certainly didn't know how Cameron would get through that, if at all.

During a part of the group interview process Cameron had a melt down and we had to take him out, all the while figuring, "Well that's it, guess we are done here" After the group session, they took us into the office and told us what we knew was coming, "We think that Cameron and you are great candidates, but we have to make sure that Cameron would even be aware of the dogs and be able to interact (which hadn't really happened yet that day). Thats when the change occurred and Cameron really opened up and resolved all doubts that this would work.

Of course, once we got the invite for team training, it started another anxiety attack. How would he sit through 8 hours of adult style learning and not completely break down every day. With our dear in-home therapist we started on a plan. CCI gave us very early the schedule for every day and exactly what would happen when. We then created a PECS style check off board with Star Wars figures (his favorite) so that he knew what was coming next and how long until a break. We then practiced with different rewards to get him through first a couple of hours, then eventually a full day. Then we headed off for our two weeks. Cameron was six, so we had to take him out of school and had homework for him to do during the adult lecure times, then he would pull off each section of the agenda after it was done and go to practicing with the dog. With all the prep he really got into it and while we had a couple of issues, nothing that prevented us from making it to the testing phase.

Hopefully, this gives you enough information to know that you can make it through. The gift of the SD on the other end is great and Werin has changed Cameron's life for the better and everyone from his teachers, therapists and friends all see the difference that making that first connection with other being (Werin) make in how he has learned to make connections with others.

You are right that each individual with autism has different needs, capabilities and ways of dealing with the outside world, so I don't know if our experience is typical or not. We do have a general bias in our approach that we push ourselves and Cameron to get out there and try new things, experience new places and change things up. Sometimes this has been really traumatic for all of us (our trip to Italy that was already planned once we got his diagnosis and we decided to go anyway) but each time we have seen him stretch and become more flexible, even if at the time it was pulling all our strength to get through whatever we were doing.

So I'd say, go for it. Get on a waiting list. We always think - well what is the worst that could happen - I guess they could say no, but we still had a new experience for Cameron in the interview.

Thank you so much for the information and how your whole interview experience went, Peter!

Hannah does very well with 'warning' - we always tell her what is going to happen (used to use pecs more but she is really starting to now understand when we verbalize things to her). As a matter of fact, I've booked a cruise for her and I!!!! I am so excited to take her and she keeps asking about getting onto the 'big boat and the big airplane'. There is much more work to do with this prep stuff to get her ready for the big days (flying in 2 days in advance and then onto the ship).

Anyway, that is off track (I'm excited, sorry :o ). I have definitely opened up those SD paths again. I know that if she is accepted and passes the tests, she will just fly like a butterfly.

thanks again to all, Miriam

Quam: Carnival is very accommodating, now! They have learned their lesson. They supply the potty box with paper pellets (that was last year, maybe they've changed), and, they will put it on your veranda.

Glad to hear they've learned their lesson! ;) My TA (group leader/TA) said they'll be sending the forms to fill out soon. I know that before I booked, she took it upon herself to have a discussion with them about the SD requirements for the countries and they did talk with her about that (unlike Royal Caribbean when I tried to talk with them and they told me to find out the info. on my own, oh so helpful!). So, they seem to be pretty good so far.

Except for the paper pellets. I am steering clear of those things!! :p

They also supplied us with a great door sign that stated, "Please do not enter, Service Dog inside!" So, if you have to leave your dog in the cabin, they totally understand and want you bother comfortable.

My SD is always with me, as I need her to be, so that's not an issue.

I have not tried the portable potty box's yet. I really haven't had the need. The cruiselines have been very willing to make us comfortable and to make it convenient for us.

I still don't know if I trust 'em, though.

Have a wonderful cruise. Your cabin sounds wonderful!

I hope it is! I still may try to get the other one by seeing if a certain person I know would like to come on the trip and room with me, that way I'd only have to pay half the cabin price so the higher-level cabin would be feasible (and a bit cheaper than what I'm paying solo right now, actually). We shall see.

I, too,, hate the "paper pellets".......It absolutely makes my skin crawl when I see Brenda trying to maneuver them.

The crew never puts enough in the box to allow the dog to grip them and they're hard on the pads of their paws. If they put more of them in the box, it's easier for gripping and less painful to step on.

The first thing I do upon boarding the ship is look for the potty box and I examine the contents. If I don't like the way it looks I immediately look for our room steward or someone else to direct me to the container of "potty box stuff" and I make it suitable for Brenda, myself!

I used to shlep a bag of mulch with me, just to guarantee that the box would be comfortable for her......no more....I insist that the ship supply me with the appropriate "litter!" Afterall, they've been given lots and lots of time to prepare for my arrival. need to do their job!

I ALWAYS call "customer care" a week before boarding just to make sure that they are prepared and that there will be no excuses of forgetfullness! :rolleyes:

Miriam and Peter;

I had the extreme pleasure of working as a substitute aide for a young man that is autistic. He is moderate functioning, just no verbal. I beamed from ear to ear all day. Watch a joy. I just wish I could approach his mom and talk to her and have her visit this site. Maybe a SD would bring him out, like it has done for Cameron. I did mention it to his teacher.

He has school work to do. They write the answers on paper and he has to tear the correct answer out and glue it on his paper. He uses hash marks to count his letters, for the answer. Need I say, he got a 100% on 10 questions!!!!:D

His mother is a teacher and works with him all the time. She is a single mom and takes him everywhere with her. They travel in an RV in the summer. From what I hear he does quite well.

As you can tell, I am pretty excited. I get such a good feeling working with these kids.

Good news, I will be going back to work as a temporary substitute aide until the position is filled, which I plan on getting! This position is with the babies whose mommies are babies themselves and still in school. Another program that is near and dear to my heart. It will end with this school year, due to budget cuts, but the other job was only funded through the end of the year.

Will stop bending everyones eyes for now!

Nancy

I had a young dog at the Children's Hospital yesterday. Her trainer cautioned me that she could lack confidence at times. Great, since the hospital can be a pretty intimidating environment, and I was driving our pick up truck instead of my car. So we had two challenges. She was a rock star. As soon as she figured out that she was getting tons of pats and love, she was all over it. Was tender and gentle with the children. Put her paws up on wheelchairs on request. Did an up onto a stretcher on request... whew on that one. Was around a child on a ventilator and the sounds didn't phase her at all. I was so proud, you would have thought she was my child doing an oral presentation all by herself. Best of all when we were leaving, she hopped right up onto the back seast of the pick up without any luring at all. Made my day, I hope her trainer is as proud of her.

Off to work with PUPPIES today. They are so sweet, clumsy, and grow so much. I haven't seen them in a week. Plus, get to just love on the mommy. She can sit in my lap if she wants.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Nancy & Sunshine: You are BOTH our hero's. In different venues but none-the-less HERO'S.

Nancy, your assistance with these children is so vital in so many ways. Thank you! Please remind the parents and other instructors that CCI has dogs who can make a difference in these children's lives, as Peter and so many can attest to.

Sunshine, that young dog did so well because you were a great leader and he knew it! Amazing, how dogs will take on the personality of the person who is directing them. Again, thank you for your good work with these future "furry partners!"

Well, I'm off to calling Princess to check on the set-up for our April 18th cruise onboard the Sapphire. Do you think they've purchased the artificial turf? That would be a dream come true.......I'll let you know.

I, too,, hate the "paper pellets".......It absolutely makes my skin crawl when I see Brenda trying to maneuver them.

One of the guide dog associations tried the paper pellets for their large convention once. Only one dog out of well over 100 dogs used the box with pellets in it. The guide dog handler told me the pellets were also slippery, like stepping on a bunch of pencils! :( They went to using a different thing the next year for sure.

Edited by Quampapetet

One of the guide dog associations tried the paper pellets for their large convention once. Only one dog out of well over 100 dogs used the box with pellets in it. The guide dog handler told me the pellets were also slippery, like stepping on a bunch of pencils! :( They went to using a different thing the next year for sure.

Quam: Perfect analogy......"pencils!" Exactly, and, can you imagine how it must feel for the dogs? I'm still waiting for a response from Princess (on the litter), we'll see!