Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I am glad Barbados will now admit dogs. But I'm fairly sure I am not going to take my dog ashore in Barbados when our ship docks there in December 2016. Even though our Celebrity cruise has an overnight stay in port for one & one-half days, it's not worth it. I can see doing it if you are arriving by air for a two week vacation.

I do understand their position with rabies, but requirements really are stiff. The model certificate has additional language not found on the 7001. So probably you have to have both types of forms signed and endorsed/stamped by your state's service center (the "Federal Authority.") No big deal so far.

But then they have a fee schedule - $25 + $60 that could climb to overtime fees up to $300 if they have a vet come to examine the animal if the ship arrives outside their working days and hours. That's not in your control.

Then they also want a blood titer drawn for cruise ship arrival dogs. I haven't done one of those yet, but even if the Kansas lab fee is waived for service dogs whose partners belong to IAADP, you'd still have costs for the vet drawing the blood and the overnight mailing to the lab.

Well, I'm going to try Norwegian. The Epic out of Port Canaveral was just a much better price than Carnival, and it includes the beverage package. I like that because then I won't feel like I need to drink to get my money's worth. Can just enjoy a few drinks.

They did say they provide a "sand box". I called Access and they said I can request mulch or sod. You can bet I am going to do exactly that!

This isn't until January, 2017.

I would not get off in Nassau. We are staying on the ship. They are having a lot of crime against tourists.

That sounds like a smart idea. I haven't been to the Bahamas in years but the last time I was docked in Nassau, our group played cards by the ship's pool all afternoon.

We'll be on a sailing in April that goes to Half Moon Cay. I wonder about whether those "private islands" really call for all the official permits to disembark. Wouldn't actually care if we stayed on board there since we've been to HMC a few times and just end up buying a beer and sitting on the beach. (Which we can do at home any old time.)

That sounds like a smart idea. I haven't been to the Bahamas in years but the last time I was docked in Nassau, our group played cards by the ship's pool all afternoon.

We'll be on a sailing in April that goes to Half Moon Cay. I wonder about whether those "private islands" really call for all the official permits to disembark. Wouldn't actually care if we stayed on board there since we've been to HMC a few times and just end up buying a beer and sitting on the beach. (Which we can do at home any old time.)

Well usually go to HMC every year and I get the permit. Always wondered if I needed it.

Well, I'm going to try Norwegian. The Epic out of Port Canaveral was just a much better price than Carnival, and it includes the beverage package. I like that because then I won't feel like I need to drink to get my money's worth. Can just enjoy a few drinks.

They did say they provide a "sand box". I called Access and they said I can request mulch or sod. You can bet I am going to do exactly that!

This isn't until January, 2017.

Well are trying NCL for the first time too. Our paperwork said sand or newspaper. I called and asked for sod. She said it was far enough out that they could accommodate us. Didn't know it took months to get grass.

We'll be onboard the Pacific Princess for 14 days, in a few weeks and I'm so curious to see what demands Immigration will make. Last time, in April, onboard the Crown Princess they called me down to a lounge at 7:00am and the Mexican officials in Mazatlan didn't show until 8:30 and then just stood around and NEVER came over to us. They spoke to officials onboard the ship and that was it. Then they completely ignored us and NEVER came over to tell me all was clear.

They may have had my paperwork and showed it to Immigration, I don't know, they were caught up in checking a few passengers who were from abroad.

I gave them until 8:45 and I stood up and Horton and I left. No one stopped me nor did they acknowledge me as I left.

This cruise I'm NOT going anywhere at 7:00am, they have his paperwork, we've boarded the ship, if they want to see Horton they can knock on my cabin door and see me in my PJ's and rollers.

It's downright rude to ask someone to be somewhere at 7:00am and then ignore them, when they're on vacation.

Here's the latest on Barbados.. Just got off the phone with my vet's office. They spoke on the phone to a Dr. Amy there, who stated that even though the US is a "category 1" country, and every prior port for our cruise is a "category 1," because we are entering via a cruise ship, Pedro will not be allowed off the ship. He would also not be allowed on their buses or in restaurants. Our vet didn't inquire further. So, unless you are flying in, you can cross Barbados off your list. So ridiculous!

St. Kitts requires not one, but two rabies titer tests for entry. We may or may not get the second result back in time, before we leave. And then there are the multitude of import permits we need. Can't get them until the first titer results are in. Ugh...

Cindra

Here's the latest on Barbados.. Just got off the phone with my vet's office. They spoke on the phone to a Dr. Amy there, who stated that even though the US is a "category 1" country, and every prior port for our cruise is a "category 1," because we are entering via a cruise ship, Pedro will not be allowed off the ship. He would also not be allowed on their buses or in restaurants. Our vet didn't inquire further. So, unless you are flying in, you can cross Barbados off your list. So ridiculous!

St. Kitts requires not one, but two rabies titer tests for entry. We may or may not get the second result back in time, before we leave. And then there are the multitude of import permits we need. Can't get them until the first titer results are in. Ugh...

Cindra

Cindra, I've heard someone on this board mention that the "rabies titer" tests are a "simple" blood draw, "no big deal!" Guess what, when I have to go to the doctor and I know they're going to have to draw blood, I don't like it and it even scares me, at times......call me a big baby.

I don't like subjecting my APPROPRIATELY IMMUNIZED dog to any blood draws if it's really NOT necessary. And, it's NOT!

Just got off the phone with our local USDA office. We have our appointment to get 7001 stamped. Phew! I also asked them about Barbados. He said the reason why they won't allow dogs in from ships/yachts is because a flight can't be definitely traced back to its original location. A ship can come from anywhere...even if a ship has an official log. Stupid...imho.

Cindra, I've heard someone on this board mention that the "rabies titer" tests are a "simple" blood draw, "no big deal!" Guess what, when I have to go to the doctor and I know they're going to have to draw blood, I don't like it and it even scares me, at times......call me a big baby.

I don't like subjecting my APPROPRIATELY IMMUNIZED dog to any blood draws if it's really NOT necessary. And, it's NOT!

Roz,

As soon as I found out we had to do the titer, I got Pedro into the vet ASAP for the blood draw. According to the Kansas State lab, they're working on it. The vet said they can take two to three weeks to get the result back. That's why we are now on a time crunch, especially with St. Kitts.

Roz,

As soon as I found out we had to do the titer, I got Pedro into the vet ASAP for the blood draw. According to the Kansas State lab, they're working on it. The vet said they can take two to three weeks to get the result back. That's why we are now on a time crunch, especially with St. Kitts.

Cindra, you're doing the right thing. I'm just venting. I didn't mean for it to sound contentious.

It's frustrating enough for you without me putting my two cents in, I know!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Cindra, you're doing the right thing. I'm just venting. I didn't mean for it to sound contentious.

It's frustrating enough for you without me putting my two cents in, I know!

Have a wonderful cruise!

I didn't take it that way, so no worries. :)

We'll be onboard the Pacific Princess for 14 days, in a few weeks and I'm so curious to see what demands Immigration will make. Last time, in April, onboard the Crown Princess they called me down to a lounge at 7:00am and the Mexican officials in Mazatlan didn't show until 8:30 and then just stood around and NEVER came over to us. They spoke to officials onboard the ship and that was it. Then they completely ignored us and NEVER came over to tell me all was clear.

They may have had my paperwork and showed it to Immigration, I don't know, they were caught up in checking a few passengers who were from abroad.

I gave them until 8:45 and I stood up and Horton and I left. No one stopped me nor did they acknowledge me as I left.

This cruise I'm NOT going anywhere at 7:00am, they have his paperwork, we've boarded the ship, if they want to see Horton they can knock on my cabin door and see me in my PJ's and rollers.

It's downright rude to ask someone to be somewhere at 7:00am and then ignore them, when they're on vacation.

Same thing happened to us in Mexico. Do they really thing a quadriplegic is getting up to be ready at 7am? I had to get up and shower and take Wex down. And just like you, there was no acknowledgement that we were even there. Ridiculous!!

Same thing happened to us in Mexico. Do they really thing a quadriplegic is getting up to be ready at 7am? I had to get up and shower and take Wex down. And just like you, there was no acknowledgement that we were even there. Ridiculous!!

I know, I'll send Horton out, with paperwork in mouth and they can talk to him!

I'm sleeping in!!! :p

We're not doing any titer tests, shots etc on Wex. Theres nothing on any of those islands that I need to see that bad. We usually just get off and go around the shops at the dock. I need to have all kinds of tests for that? One place last year wanted us to worm the dog, Really? Why would I do that if my dog doesn't have worms? Stupid!! These countries should be happy we bring our healthy beautiful animals to their island. If a health certificate isnt good enough then forget about it. :D

Also we have had so many offers from crew to watch him. So if we want to get off, no problem

Edited by rangeley

We're not doing any titer tests, shots etc on Wex. Theres nothing on any of those islands that I need to see that bad. We usually just get off and go around the shops at the dock. I need to have all kinds of tests for that? One place last year wanted us to worm the dog, Really? Why would I do that if my dog doesn't have worms? Stupid!! These countries should be happy we bring our healthy beautiful animals to their island. If a health certificate isnt good enough then forget about it. :D

Also we have had so many offers from crew to watch him. So if we want to get off, no problem

The various ports are getting smarter and smarter by having kiosks of their various wares set up right outside the boat docking area.

I WILL take Horton on my many adventures, if I have to see something he WILL go with me. Once, in Vancouver, I was told that he couldn't go into the gardens because he was a very big Service Dog. If he were smaller they would allow him! Can you imagine? The tour guide convinced the official to let us through and promised that he would NOT step paw onto any flower gardens. I was so nervous, I had a terrible time. The gardens were really pretty though!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

OK... Here's the latest event in the saga of our pre-Ocean Princess cruise. I got a call on my cell phone from our vet's office, this afternoon. Apparently, the wonderful workers at the lab at Kansas State spilled the sample of Pedro's blood for the rabies titer #1. I had to rush him over there to draw another sample to get it out today. This will delay the result another five days. Normally, this would not be a problem, BUT...the second titer, required by St. Kitts, has to be drawn no sooner than 30 days after the first. This will probably affect St. Kitts and also Tobago now. Tobago requires a titer result to get their import permit that has to be applied for 1 & 1/2 months prior to arrival...that's today. So, let's see now...can't get off in St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Vincent, and now Tobago. The itinerary is what attracted us to this cruise, along with the size of the ship. It's so disappointing. On a lighter note, it's pointless to get he second titer, so we save a few hundred dollars on that test. :/

Oh wow, when it rains it pours. Well glad you don't have to pay for a second titer test. Sometimes I think it's ridiculous. Don't they know how well taken care of service dogs are? (probably bad grammar there but don't care)

Any way, in other news. Today in the mail I received a SECOND Bahamas Import certificate. Different numbers, so both are good. Oh well, works for me as they are good for a years. Who knows, maybe I can go on a last minute cruise. ;)

Cindra, for future reference, you might want to investigate the Iinternational Assoc. of Assistance Dog Partners. I don't recall details on membership, but I do know the IAADP benefits are quite good, including a 10% discount on blood Titer tests from the Kansas lab. This year, they also distributed free Aadvantix K9 donated by Bayer to members.