Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Cindra, for future reference, you might want to investigate the Iinternational Assoc. of Assistance Dog Partners. I don't recall details on membership, but I do know the IAADP benefits are quite good, including a 10% discount on blood Titer tests from the Kansas lab. This year, they also distributed free Aadvantix K9 donated by Bayer to members.

I got mine! I also won a contest and received $50.00 for a story about Brenda and me and a "Day at The Bank."

Poor Cindra she's never going to want to cruise again. Such a headache. I bet if she just had the Aphis form, they'd accept it and she could go into all the ports she wants to, who knows!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I got mine! I also won a contest and received $50.00 for a story about Brenda and me and a "Day at The Bank."

Poor Cindra she's never going to want to cruise again. Such a headache. I bet if she just had the Aphis form, they'd accept it and she could go into all the ports she wants to, who knows!

You know, you're probably right! On our first cruise with the Big Girl, we were going to St. Barth and theoretically needed the EU form...

...brought only the 7001, and no one ever paid the slightest attention to the dog's comings & goings.

Cindra, for future reference, you might want to investigate the Iinternational Assoc. of Assistance Dog Partners. I don't recall details on membership, but I do know the IAADP benefits are quite good, including a 10% discount on blood Titer tests from the Kansas lab. This year, they also distributed free Aadvantix K9 donated by Bayer to members.

Funny you should mention them. The vet assistant asked if Pedro was registered with them. I will now investigate. Thanks for the info.

Hey...you have to post the story for us!

I know, I'll send Horton out, with paperwork in mouth and they can talk to him!

I'm sleeping in!!! :p

I love the mental picture of Horton leaving the cabin, strolling down to the lounge, and marching up to the immigration officials with paperwork in his mouth. :)

After all, a little drool should be the final and only endorsement that really counts on all Service Dog ASPHIS Form 7001s!;)

Funny you should mention them. The vet assistant asked if Pedro was registered with them. I will now investigate. Thanks for the info.

They'll give you a registration card. I make a copy of it too and include it with my paperwork. As many have said, the more paperwork and ID the better it is for you and Pedro.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

You know, you're probably right! On our first cruise with the Big Girl, we were going to St. Barth and theoretically needed the EU form...

...brought only the 7001, and no one ever paid the slightest attention to the dog's comings & goings.

When we went to Hawaii [i know they're in the USA] however, they have NEVER had a reported case of rabies so their restrictions for bringing a dog into one of their islands is very rigid.

We had planned a trip within a week and no time to do any of the titers that they had demanded. [This was a land vacation] And, they accepted the Aphis 7001, along with all the rest of the paperwork from my Vet. Again, on a cruise the same issue and they allowed Brenda to go onto every port [except, she was not allowed to go onto a pig farm or visit a ranch that raised dogs.] The same rule applied when we wanted to visit a dog sledding ranch in Alaska.

Hey...you have to post the story for us!

2005 ANNUAL WRITING COMPETITION WINNERS

Best Article “Air Travel Security Update” By Barb

Best Short Story or Anecdote “A Day At The Bank” By Roz

Best Opinion Piece: “Swimming Assistance Gear” By Sharon

We welcome entries from assistance dog partners, trainers and others involved in our community. Both unpublished and previously published pieces will be considered for inclusion in Partners Forum and once published, become eligible for Annual Writing Competition. The winner in each category will receive a Fifty Dollar cash prize. We also plan to showcase the winners on our website each year.

A Day At the Bank - a true story

by: Roz

It was a bright, clear Monday morning at work. It had rained all the week before and I never got a chance to get my monthly banking done and today looked like the perfect day to do it. As usual, my hearing dog (I am profoundly deaf on my left side and have only 50% hearing on my right) “Brenda”, who goes with me wherever I go, got into the car and off we went, about 5 miles away.

We walked in; this is an unusually small branch, with only 2 tellers a manager and a loan agent. There was one other customer at another window so I proceeded to the vacant window. I put “Brenda” into a “down/stay” and tucked her leash under my left foot. After about 5 minutes and as I was talking to the teller “Brenda” tugged on her leash, as she does when she’s trying to alert me to something going on either in back of me or to my left. I turned around to see a man standing near the entrance, he said, “I have a bomb!” He continued to speak but because he put his hand in front of his face I could not make out what else he was saying!

“Brenda” who was lying down, now stood up. I went to pick up her leash, all the while keeping my eyes on his face; he said, “Don’t Move!”

Brenda” started to walk towards him; she hackled her fur and sniffed at the air and at him. She actually startled him, I’m sure he wasn’t expecting to see a dog in the bank. She remained standing in front of him, fur “hackled”, never taking her eyes off of him! In my thoughts I was afraid he would kick at her!

I kept looking at his face to try to decipher what he was saying. He took a huge, black gun from the bag he was carrying in his right hand and proceeded to throw some rags on the floor, soaked in, what smelled like bleach, with his left hand, the smell stung my eyes. All the time waving his gun around at all of us, he then focused on “Brenda” pointing his gun at her. I was so, so scared but at the same time I knew that I had to get “Brenda” away from him! I stepped towards him and “Brenda”, very very slowly, at the same time reaching down to collect “Brenda’s” leash. With the most pleading face that I could muster, I begged him to let me move her away from him. I reassured him that she was my service dog and that she was no threat to him!

He said, “You better move her or I’ll shoot her!”

Standing exactly 2 feet away from his shoes, I reached for her leash, grabbed her head, hoping to distract her and without looking down or away from his face, I said, in a very shaky voice, “Brenda, let’s go!” She walked with me but kept her gaze on him, as I turned my back to him. I looked for the other customer, who had worked his way towards the very back of the bank and had sat down on a chair.

As I was walking away and looking at the bank tellers for guidance, since I could no longer see or hear him. (I must be facing the person who’s speaking, in order to hear. I MUST be able to read their lips or I hear NOTHING)!

The bank teller, looking right at me, kept motioning her head and eyes to the floor. Apparently, as I found out later, the robber had ordered me to “Stop walking and lay on the floor!” I kept walking, slowly towards the other customer. It seemed like a good idea, to get “Brenda” and I as far away from this man as I could! I reached the other customer and sat on a chair. I held on to “Brenda”! She was my eyes, ears and truly my support! She lay down beside my chair but never, never took her eyes off this man!

The bank robber got the money he wanted, he didn’t hurt anyone. He left! There was no bomb. The rags were soaked with bleach to divert our attention and make us think that something was in them. I was told that he was never caught and has been holding up banks and stores in the area and getting away with it for a long time!

The police came, the FBI came, and many, many questions were asked and answered. I spent what seemed like the entire day in the bank. I arrived around 11:00am and left a little after 5:00pm. I called my office to let them know what had happened. They were all in disbelief. This was supposed to be just a visit to the bank, not a day at the bank!”

I know that because “Brenda” did not make any sudden moves and because as I walked away from this man, he could see her vest, which reads big and bold, HEARING DOG, he did not do anything to either one of us.

I am so grateful for the training that Brenda got. She didn’t bark, she didn’t jump and she didn’t act badly or with any sudden moves. All of these good behaviors helped in assuring my, her’s and everyone else’s safety!

What would she have done had he hurt me or someone else? I don’t know. She’s not trained to be an attack dog. But, as Canine Companions for Independence (where Brenda was formally trained) told us, they’re not sure what our companion dogs would do in a “protection mode” but not to count on them for this. She is an amazing hearing dog and does her job with due diligence! All I know is that having her beside me makes me feel safe!

So, when my friends ask me “How was your day at the bank?” I tell them “long!”

I love the mental picture of Horton leaving the cabin, strolling down to the lounge, and marching up to the immigration officials with paperwork in his mouth. :)

After all, a little drool should be the final and only endorsement that really counts on all Service Dog ASPHIS Form 7001s!;)

That is so funny! He'd do it........Don't tempt me! And, he has such huge jowls, I'll make sure that he drinks a lot of water before he goes so I can follow his trail.

Horton will lap up a bucket of water and then come over to me to lay his dribbling, oozing, wet face on my lap. It's not funny, especially when I'm wearing something light colored and I look like a spotted leopard at work!:eek:

I'm curious, how many of you are members of the IAADP?

I read up on the organization, and Pedro meets all of their qualifications for membership, so I will scan his certificates into the computer and email them over, probably this weekend.

Katie, Medical Alert Service Dog, 50 lbs, 8 years old, English Pointer.

This is where she took care of her business... Deck 7, Aft, Starboard Side. These are videos of both urination and defecation while sailing as that was the number one question guest asked....

Urination

Defecating

I hope this video helps clear up the questions service dog handlers have about what the 'relief area' is like on this ship. The entire process was wonderful with Royal Caribbean.

Here are a few photographs of Katie, Medical Alert Service Dog, while on our 4 night Bahamas Cruise on Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas on Nov 9 thru Nov 13, 2013.

Katie at Senior Frog's in Nassau, Bahamas

1189481722_Ksrfrogs.jpg.deea713b1a52a299aa2c571bfe707e40.jpg

Katie with a statute of a Pirate in Nassau, Bahamas

928661817_KwithpiratestatuteinBahamas.jpg.89926c2fe960593aba6323206a0724aa.jpg

Katie with an actor dressed as a Pirate in Nassau, Bahamas

1785225480_kwithpirateinBahamas.jpg.4e26e8f13347574f644a06a57f7542fd.jpg

Katie at the Southernmost Point of USA in Key West, FL

641659173_Ksouthernmostpoing.jpg.070b130afdbca605da8312082051c1e8.jpg

Katie in front of the Islands Dogs Bar in Key West, FL

1404372445_Kislanddogbar.jpg.b6be5b3e891e760dd36a7130e30e0aea.jpg

These were taken on Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas 4 night Bahamas Cruise Nov 9 thru Nov 13, 2015. It was formal night so I had Katie in her dress, but I did not plan on being in the pictures as we were returning to Nassau. The ship background photo I had to hold her as she was too short for the scene. The staircase photo she was not holding her head up high so I asked her for a kiss - but the photographer took the picture anyway. Then two are of Katie getting off the ship in Nassau and riding the tender back to the ship from CoCoCay, Bahamas. The towel animal our stateroom attendant made was a bunny rabbit. Katie climbed up and was smelling it.

1366512129_kformalwithship.jpg.43dae07af1d68af5081642cec0d3934e.jpg

1818178445_KkissingMommyonship.jpg.269f04e844e30d145f9e88722aa3523a.jpg

1052584972_KexitingshipinNassau.jpg.7e35f9067c47c74f929b9dd381a4abbb.jpg

1079027161_ktakingtenderbacktoshipfromCoCoCay.jpg.570db6affa3d9ea4f2120048e8e79313.jpg

96638764_Kbunnyship.jpg.62796b080551920de33f4d575ae397e4.jpg

Katie interrupted a burglary in progress the night before this video in our office complex. The person taking this video with my telephone is a dentist (for humans) and wanted to show his staff a dog getting her teeth brushed.

Hi, Bobbi! Thanks for posting such fun photos of Katie! She's such a good girl about tooth brushing and you are a pro at it! Raylene always sticks her big tongue in the way trying to lick up that delicious enzymatic toothpaste.

I recognize the Island Dogs Bar in Key West - we were there in April on a Holland America cruise and I bought a black tee shirt with their logo that I wear all the time.

Darn, I should have taken a photo under the sign, too, of my partner, Hearing Dog Raylene! Our minds were scrambled that day because when we checked our email sitting in the bar, we learned we had an offer on our house in N.C. after just a few days on the market. Bought a house and moved to Florida in the months that followed.

Great pics! How many times did you have to show the potty videos while on board? I found myself getting hoarse answering all of the Pedro questions by the end of our cruise. The up side is that this helps to educate the public.

We're not doing any titer tests, shots etc on Wex. Theres nothing on any of those islands that I need to see that bad. We usually just get off and go around the shops at the dock. I need to have all kinds of tests for that? One place last year wanted us to worm the dog, Really? Why would I do that if my dog doesn't have worms? Stupid!! These countries should be happy we bring our healthy beautiful animals to their island. If a health certificate isnt good enough then forget about it. :D

Also we have had so many offers from crew to watch him. So if we want to get off, no problem

I have decided to do the same next year when we go on our Panama canal cruise. I am not subjecting my dog to extra tests or shots - if we can't get off the ship, no big deal, they are just losing out on my money. We have already decided that we are mainly going for the transit through the canal and we are prepared to just enjoy the cruise ship if it comes down to that.

Dianne