Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Please do! :)

Thanks for the salmon oil tip! I have some cans of salmon that I ordered after I tasted their yummmmy canned salmon on our Alaska cruise. Somehow, while it is quite tasty, it doesn't taste quite the same. Maybe Sandy would enjoy some mixed in with her food. She is not an itchy dog, and we do great thru the fall and winter. Last year I thought I was home free when we got thru the spring and then ITCH came back in July. So know we have the May itchies, arriving early in April Luckily (unlike poor Brenny) Sandy does well with a steroid shot. More middle of the night trips to the back yard because of the increased water, but that is OK. Can you believe how much Benadryl a dog can take?! I would be in a coma for a week if I took 75mg of Benadry.

The dog I took to the high school was SUPER today. We both make sure to wear our school colors on visitation day. My daughter attended this high school (which is why I have such a soft spot for it). I found hair ribbons with the teams name on it in the back of a closet. I glued them to a blue leash, and have a big attention getter at the school. I think the students appreciate the school spirt effort anyway. Tomorow: Puppies. One week only. 13 weeks of age. I think I will be cleaning up lot's of potty mistakes, but getting lots of puppy kisses to make up for it.

Thanks for the salmon oil tip! I have some cans of salmon that I ordered after I tasted their yummmmy canned salmon on our Alaska cruise. Somehow, while it is quite tasty, it doesn't taste quite the same. Maybe Sandy would enjoy some mixed in with her food. That sounds like a good idea! We buy it online and spray it into her food. She loves it!!!! I don't like it when I miss her food dish....it does wonders to the carpeting not to mention the smell on my hands. She is not an itchy dog, and we do great thru the fall and winter. Last year I thought I was home free when we got thru the spring and then ITCH came back in July. So know we have the May itchies, arriving early in April Luckily (unlike poor Brenny) Geezz! Do you remember that? I'll never forget it! She almost died from the Prednisone....never again! Sandy does well with a steroid shot. More middle of the night trips to the back yard because of the increased water, but that is OK. Can you believe how much Benadryl a dog can take?! I would be in a coma for a week if I took 75mg of Benadry. Me too! The doctor said no more than 150mg a day, but still, If I take 50mg I'm in a stooper! I can use it as a sleeping pill! We got lucky it doesn't have any bad effects on her, other than keeping the allergens in check!

The dog I took to the high school was SUPER today. We both make sure to wear our school colors on visitation day. My daughter attended this high school (which is why I have such a soft spot for it). I found hair ribbons with the teams name on it in the back of a closet. I glued them to a blue leash, and have a big attention getter at the school. I think the students appreciate the school spirt effort anyway. Tomorow: Puppies. One week only. 13 weeks of age. I think I will be cleaning up lot's of potty mistakes, but getting lots of puppy kisses to make up for it. That's for sure!!!

We go to CCI in July, for Brenda's re-certification and, I'm making sure that she's as "sharp" as ever. They've changed their procedures a bit. They used to "test" you in a shopping mall, now they're going to be testing us on their grounds, in Oceanside.....maybe a bit more difficult because of the other dogs and distractions. Malls are a cinch for Brenda and me. We're frequent visitors.

She's also 9 years old and kind of up there in age for a working dog. But, she's such a hard worker and so full of energy, hopefully she'll be able to get another 3 year certification.....we'll see!

I want her to be able to cruise with us for a few more years but I also want her to go into retirement being well!

Sandy says thanks for the Salmon suggestion. She sure enjoyed it with her evening kibble. I hope we don't regret it tonight if she becomes a bit "aromatic". She sleeps under our bed.

Edited by sunshine426

Each dog works differently. The bold dogs respond more to that no nonsense, let's go type of voice. The young ones need that encourging, yes you can do it, good girl, ..... The timid ones are the ones I break out the squeak for. If they are balking, it tends to get their attention focused on me, and then I can switch it back.

OMG, I've worked (and owned) all of those types :D. My first dog was big, bold, brave and highly excitable. My next one was the polar opposite and I was doing training with both at the same time. With guy #1, I had to remember to be calm, quiet and to the point (or he'd happily take charge of the situation, thank you very much!) but if I acted the same way with girl #2, she'd shut down totally. The only way to keep her motivated was to basically do handstands while encouraging her with the highest pitched voice I could muster. She was fun to train but absolutely exhausting because of the extra energy I needed to keep her happy and working for me.

Finn is (OK was, since he is well past the serious training days) the perfect middle ground. He loved working (and still does but his body doesn't! Poor babe), had the ability to cope with corrections (girl #2 - his mom BTW - could NOT handle anything she deemed remotely negative). He was just so much fun to train.

I love hearing about these pups you are training and it really makes me long for those days when I was seriously into training dogs, both mine and others too. There is absolutely nothing better than gaining that trust with a dog - they love and trust so completely.

Miriam

PS. I have to tell you all about seeing a Kerry Boo Terror, err Kerry Blue Terrier, on the way to work today - my heart melted with the sight!! And then the memories of my Maddie came flooding back. My goodness these dogs .... I still miss her so much :( If I see them again, I know I'll be late for work because I WILL stop!

Sunshine: Tell Sandy "your welcome!" Although the smell of the salmon is strong while "schpritzing" it on her food and certainly when it lands on the floor or counters.....I have not noticed any unpleasant smells when she goes potty....and, best of all, it doesn't seem to upset her tummy or digestion!!!!! Of course, eating salmon (lucky dog) is a whole other thing!!!!!

Miriam: Every time you speak of your dogs, especially "Maddie", I tear-up. You love them so. I know that one day I will be facing "that day" and, I can't even write this without starting to cry........Brenda is so much a part of my life/heart/soul and daily activities, that I'm afraid I will need a very long time and some therapy, when she passes! STOP! I have to work.

As I've told you before, I love your stories! You're a wonderful writer and I feel the emotion right along with you!

Puppies are here. Two 13week old lab/golden mixes. Full of energy and curiosity. I'm not sure how well everyone will sleep tonight. One has already taken a swim in the gold fish pond. It was not the exposure I was hoping for, but she did have nice doggy padde until I pulled her out. I think she would jump back in a minutes. Let's hope she doesn't tell her brother. Theywere pesting poor Sandy until she started to play with them and showed them who is boss and how to behave around an adult dog. It was fun to watch. Now I am off to bed. I am sure I will be up early for clean up and a day of fun and work.

Cindy and John:

C O N G R A T S !

Sunshine:

I feel your (pain :o). I forgot what being a new mom is, after 13 years! Jezzy sleeped all night the first night, but decided to wake up about 3 times last night. She doesn't know that she has a shrill voice, especially at 3:00 am! :eek:

We are having some potty training issues, but working on them. She likes to go outside and play and then either go up on the patio and do her business or wait until we get back in the house. The only positive about it (if you can call it a positive) is that she has little tiny piddle and poo compared to Reno!

Everyone have a great weekend. We are overcast, but warm, making for humidity. I don't like humidity.

I am going to try and post the picture from our paper that made us go get Jezzy. It not very good, but have to wait until I get other photos developed or figure how to upload from my phone.........I know I am making too much out of it, but can't help myself.

Nancy

273451534_JesabellLou001.jpg.7d832f9c0ebe2a5e553fcb7b463497a2.jpg

Thanks! Her coloring is just amazing. She is a carmel color with blonde highlights down her back. Her two front legs are the pure carmel color with one little white toe. We have never had a little dog, always big burly ones. Even though Reno thought he was a lap dog, lets be realistic. Jezzy gets up in my lap and falls asleep, she is very "needs to touch you," which is fine with us. She can also terrorize the house. Leann Emily is still hanging out in our master closet. So not like her. I am surprise she hasn't come out to check this new "thing" out. She did get on the bed with me for a few minutes, while Jezzy was in her crate, suppose to be going to sleep......as soon as Jezzy starts her loud, shrill, screeching, Leann takes off. I know she will come around, I just hate her feeling like she has been replaced. Hopefully, before long, both of them will be napping in mom's lap, goodness knows its big enough for the both of them!

Nancy

I need to step away from the computer. Just found a 7 day cruise on Carnival Splendor (not our first choice either) but the price is beyond first choices! $350 pp total for a balcony. It leaves, May 10 to Victoria and Vancouver BC. It is probably the only chance we would ever get to see these ports. Leaves out of Long Beach. The only problem is they only have cabins for 2 left. Wouldn't know what to do with Travis! Maybe animal sitter will watch him too! :eek: Obviously, just kidding. Then theres the job, oh, boo, just hate passing up a killer deal.

Nancy

Here is the latest picture of Jezzy, not a very good one, but will get some more.

Nancy

[ATTACH]115935[/ATTACH]

Oh Nancy, I'm in love :D:D:D I honestly think that when I ready to get another dog myself it will be a smallish one. She is adorable.

Miriam

Miriam: Every time you speak of your dogs, especially "Maddie", I tear-up. You love them so. I know that one day I will be facing "that day" and, I can't even write this without starting to cry........Brenda is so much a part of my life/heart/soul and daily activities, that I'm afraid I will need a very long time and some therapy, when she passes! STOP! I have to work.

As I've told you before, I love your stories! You're a wonderful writer and I feel the emotion right along with you!

Oh Roz, I never want to bring anyone to tears :(. Brenny has many more years from your loving description of her. You say my emotion comes out but my goodness, your adoration of Ms. Brenda flows with every word you write about her :)

Thank you so much for the wonderful words about me too. It is greatly appreciated. Madison is (and I will use the present tense because she is still here with me, just in a more spiritual vs physical way) a great dog in her own bratty way.

Miriam

You know, and I could be 180 degrees off, (what else is new?), but I have always been suspect of people that don't like animals. They don't have to love them like we do, but ones that just "hate" dogs, cats, whatever, that give us such unconditional love usually have a story behind them. Just sayin'.

I think we are all feeling guilty about Reno, each of us have expressed a thought about him in the last couple of days. Travis said, "Mom, I like Jezzy, but I love Reno and miss him." So, we have opened another chapter in our lives, but haven't closed the last one. I get to go shopping for Jezzy tomorrow and get her a harness, (bright pink or purple) a leash, some "cookies" and treats. A small bucket with a lid for her dry food, so Ms. Leann stays out of it. I brought home the bag before Jezzy, put it on the dryer, came home from work and found to nice big holes in the bag! Had to get out the old duct tape. Works wonders.

Well, another day gone. Everyone have a fantastic Sunday.

Nancy

I am experiencing a bit of "PFS"(puppy fatigue syndrome)! Actually, not really, these guys are just keeping me busy, and that is good for me. With my human kids grown up and out of the house, my own house dog doesn't nag me as much, and some days we are pretty quiet. No quiet today. Pups doing great. Mr Sunshine and I just laugh and smile more. Sandy is teaching them some manners in her best canine fashion. It is funny to hear this low growl from her, and the pups just back off. Tails still wagging. They are also keeping her busy, as when she wants to play with them everyone if just romping and jumping. Then she takes the high ground, next to one of us on the sofa, and they had better keep their paws off. I'll try to attach a picture of the "Look"!

OK, no luck on attaching a picture, who wants to walk me thru it?????

Why can't dogs just live forever? You love them with all your heart and then...poof.... they are gone forever. We still think and talk about Rangeley everyday. I'm glad that John wants to get a new dog. He feels he wants and needs one. And the kids at school and the people who live at our apt bldg keep asking when the new one will come. We are still very concerned about our Bailee. After the attack she seems weary of other dogs, which she never did before. She is old and we hope another dog is not going to break her heart and kill her. I hope it will be her friend.

A strange story...I don't think I told before. When we went to training for Joe, I had to go to Johns sisters to get a wooden frame that Johns bro in law had made to train Joe to go on potty on the cruise. On my way back from her house my temp guage on my car went wild. It kept going in the red and I thought I was going to overheat. So instead of us taking 2 cars to the training, we only took the van. We dropped the car at the mechanic and he could not find one thing wrong with the car. The guage has never moved again!!! I swear it was Rangeley telling us not to go. He knew Joe was bad news. Freaky huh? (playing spooky music) :eek:

Cindy

Cindy;

Reno was like Bailee after he was "rolled" by an Airdale, but he would get down right nasty with other dogs. I think Bailee will know that the new dog is there to help dad and she knows you both still love her to death. It will be an adjustment period. Rangeley will always look over you.

Leann Emily is still hiding in the master bedroom closet, but has been coming out a little more at a time. She knows when Jezzy Lou is locked in the crate and wanders around. She did come and eat and use her potty box, so I am feeling a little better about it.

Everyone have a great day. We are going to get hot, but the sun is already out and making for a great start to the day.

Nancy

I am experiencing a bit of "PFS"(puppy fatigue syndrome)! Actually, not really, these guys are just keeping me busy, and that is good for me. With my human kids grown up and out of the house, my own house dog doesn't nag me as much, and some days we are pretty quiet. No quiet today. Pups doing great. Mr Sunshine and I just laugh and smile more. Sandy is teaching them some manners in her best canine fashion. It is funny to hear this low growl from her, and the pups just back off. Tails still wagging. They are also keeping her busy, as when she wants to play with them everyone if just romping and jumping. Then she takes the high ground, next to one of us on the sofa, and they had better keep their paws off. I'll try to attach a picture of the "Look"!

OK, no luck on attaching a picture, who wants to walk me thru it?????

Oh, I so love those mom lessons!!!! :D:D There is no better teacher for a pup than a mom (or an older, patient dog). Finn's mom was the perfect mom in my mind - OK, I am a tad biased but still ;)

During the weaning stage, when she was given her pup time they'd test her to the limits and to watch this incredibly mellow dog give them what for was hilarious! But, boy did they listen once told. One of the funniest times we had with her was when we brought Finn back to us (long story but we raised his litter from birth and then they had a two week 'holiday' back with the breeder while she made her decision as to who she'd keep blah, blah, blah - and yes, it was awful leaving them!).

Anyway, we were told we could have him and we met her at a dog show close to my home. I met her in the parking lot and I picked him up. Well, let me tell you that the excitement he showed me was nothing in comparison to what he did upon seeing the dessert tray, err his mom, again!!! He immediated tried to nurse but she was more than finished with that duty and she told him - it was the last time he ever tried :D:D

Love pups and older dogs, yup!!!

Miriam

Hi Everyone,

This thread has been very informative and enjoyable (all 84 pages)! We are planning to cruise to the Eastern Caribbean (Grand Turk, St Thomas, St Martin and Princess Cays) on the Emerald Princess in November, 2009. When we booked we thought our 9 year old son's CCI service dog, Keldon, would not be able to come along. Thank you to everyone, because we plan to contact Allison at Princess to start the process to bring him along.

I have a few questions, but first want to offer a few comments. The thread is long and I have a hard time remembering names, so please don't take offense if I refer to the wrong person.

To Brenda, we have a handsome black, 3 1/2 year old, male, full black lab you have got to meet! To Roz (hope that's right) I hope we run into you at a CCI event sometime and thanks for forging the way with Princess.

To the puppy raisers...you are truly special people.

To Cindy and John congratulations and get ready. After less than 6 months on the waiting list we got called (the week before ) to fill a cancellation in Santa Rosa team training!

To those contemplating a sd for their child with autism, the dog will impact your child in ways you have never even contemplated. The 2 week training which our son called "friend dog camp", is doable with lots of activities i.e. dvd players, art supplies, puzzles, etc. Our class had 3 kids with autism and CCI was great. While it seems kids with autism might not pay attention to a sd, the sd actually helps to keep those kids in our world as opposed to their own.

Okay on to my questions. First, is a microchip required for where we are going? If it is, why get one when the scanners can't read them and the microchips will have to be a type we don't have in the US in a few years? Will we be denied access to the ship if we do not have one? Last, I feel pretty comfortable dealing with princess, but should we have a TA take this over considering the special needs?

Sorry to be so long winded, especially in my first post.

Kim D.

Hi Everyone,

To those contemplating a sd for their child with autism, the dog will impact your child in ways you have never even contemplated. The 2 week training which our son called "friend dog camp", is doable with lots of activities i.e. dvd players, art supplies, puzzles, etc. Our class had 3 kids with autism and CCI was great. While it seems kids with autism might not pay attention to a sd, the sd actually helps to keep those kids in our world as opposed to their own.

Kim D.

Hi Kim,

As one of those contemplating an SD for my child with autism, thank you. It is wonderful to hear you say that an SD will help keep my child in our world - you have no idea ... but then again, I think you do!

So glad you are now taking your dog on your cruise. Have fun. And welcome

Miriam

Kim;

Welcome! I am just a tag along, no SD, but I do work with special needs children. The biggest surprise and joy in my life. I never realized what these kids can do for me. :) I work with several that have autism. They barely made sounds when they arrived and now have progressed to audible words. Its amazing.

Everyone have a great week.

Nancy

Kim & Keldon: Welcome! It's always nice to connect with other CCI folks. Thank you for your nice comments. Brenda and I will be in Oceanside, CA. for a Graduate Seminar on July 18th, and for re-certification, at the same time (she's 9 years old, we're hoping for 3 more working years, at least!)

Brenda would be considered an "older woman" to your black lab.....but, she truly is lovely and loves to boss around other labs, especially graduates (cause they're so challenging and smart!)

Kim, call Allison Muff, at Princess, directly. You won't need your TA to do it......Things just get done more efficiently when you're in contact with them, yourself. She's very easy to talk to and really wants to please us. Mention my name and tell her how much I brag about her. Ask her about the requirement for the chip or not! I agree, it seems to be unnecessary. She'll look into it for you. Also, our vets have great information as to what is required for our SD's in any given country.

Everyone's stories about their puppies/kitties and their adventures or mis-adventures is so much fun to read about.

Nancy: The Carnival Splendor is a beautiful ship (my boss just got off of her), he said he wouldn't mind getting right back on! That deal sounds amazing......I have to be careful (the budget thing), we're scheduled for Alaska, on the Golden, in September and that should finish out this year and cruising......stop tempting me!!!!!

Checking in from puppy central. My two pups did well with a long pen day as I had to work. My daughter came over at lunch for potty time and visitation. I am not sure who had more fun, pups or her. Instead of a cocktail, I am having puppy time. Much better for my liver!!!

I wll be taking a golden-poodle to the hospital tomorow. That means a longer bathing time, but that is OK. I think these two I have at home are a bit too young for a hospital visit. I am taking them to the high school on Thursday. I think I will have millions of smiles that day.

Off to clean the play yard and play with pup time.:D