Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Checking in from puppy central. My two pups did well with a long pen day as I had to work. My daughter came over at lunch for potty time and visitation. I am not sure who had more fun, pups or her. Instead of a cocktail, I am having puppy time. Much better for my liver!!!

I wll be taking a golden-poodle to the hospital tomorow. That means a longer bathing time, but that is OK. I think these two I have at home are a bit too young for a hospital visit. I am taking them to the high school on Thursday. I think I will have millions of smiles that day.

Off to clean the play yard and play with pup time.:D

I'm so jealous.....Although Brenny thinks she's a pup, she's not. I love those big eyes/ears/feet.......and, all those licks.....I wish I lived closeby, I'd be over for "playdates!"

Have fun!

Did I tell you guys about the lady onboard the Sappire Princess?

First, I must tell you this was one of the most congenial crowds of fellow passengers we've ever cruised with. Except for "elevator lady!" (That's right, just ONE woman; ONE incident on an elevator!) How lucky were we! I mean it, we were so lucky to have only ONE bad experience!!!!!

We were boarding the elevator on formal night, on our way to the Captain's Cocktail Party.....looking pretty dapper, I must say. An older lady and gentleman we already on the elevator......we entered (I always head for the back corner) so, that Brenda can find a comfort zone! As we're walking towards the back Brenda sticks her head out and tries to take a "sniff" of this woman.....(Brenny's just checking out her environment), she didn't lunge or even walk towards her; she simply stretched-out her neck and started to sniff......OMG! You would have thought she took a huge hunk out of this woman's miserable body......she yelled at me, "hold on to your dog, I don't want to be sniffed!"

I reassured her that my dog was perfectly safe and that she will not come near her. I told her that what Brenda was doing was exactly what she is supposed to do! Without being obstrusive or bothersome!

The woman stuck her nose in the air and ignored me! She wouldn't talk to me!!!!

Her husband just looked at me with a "wide-eyed" expression. From that night on, everytime I saw her, I tried to make a very wide berth!!!!!

It's all part of what we must endure with our SD's and some of the public. :rolleyes:

Roz;

Brenny knew the "woman" had a stinky attitude! She was just making sure. I can't even begin to comment on how ignorant people behave. I am glad she didn't do something stupid like swing at Brenny with her purse or anything else! :eek: I can see the news now. Tall, blonde woman with a SD has a brawl in the elevator with an ignorant woman. Tall blonde - 1 ignorant woman - 0 all the way around. :D

Nancy

Roz;

Brenny knew the "woman" had a stinky attitude! She was just making sure. I can't even begin to comment on how ignorant people behave. I am glad she didn't do something stupid like swing at Brenny with her purse or anything else! :eek: I can see the news now. Tall, blonde woman with a SD has a brawl in the elevator with an ignorant woman. Tall blonde - 1 ignorant woman - 0 all the way around. :D

Nancy

Yep! It would have made the "Patter" the next day!!!! For sure!!! She would have been so "blindsided" had she layed one hand on my girl! :mad:

I forgot, things happen for a reason, the cruise on the Splendor only had balcony cabins, left, for two people. So, wouldn't have worked anyway. Trav thinks he is old enough to take care of himself, at six, selective things that is, like eating. Can't get himself to school though, so I guess it is a good thing the cabin didn't have room for him! Another time.

Nancy

I'm so jealous.....Although Brenny thinks she's a pup, she's not. I love those big eyes/ears/feet.......and, all those licks.....I wish I lived closeby, I'd be over for "playdates!"

Have fun!

Did I tell you guys about the lady onboard the Sappire Princess?

First, I must tell you this was one of the most congenial crowds of fellow passengers we've ever cruised with. Except for "elevator lady!" (That's right, just ONE woman; ONE incident on an elevator!) How lucky were we! I mean it, we were so lucky to have only ONE bad experience!!!!!

We were boarding the elevator on formal night, on our way to the Captain's Cocktail Party.....looking pretty dapper, I must say. An older lady and gentleman we already on the elevator......we entered (I always head for the back corner) so, that Brenda can find a comfort zone! As we're walking towards the back Brenda sticks her head out and tries to take a "sniff" of this woman.....(Brenny's just checking out her environment), she didn't lunge or even walk towards her; she simply stretched-out her neck and started to sniff......OMG! You would have thought she took a huge hunk out of this woman's miserable body......she yelled at me, "hold on to your dog, I don't want to be sniffed!"

I reassured her that my dog was perfectly safe and that she will not come near her. I told her that what Brenda was doing was exactly what she is supposed to do! Without being obstrusive or bothersome!

The woman stuck her nose in the air and ignored me! She wouldn't talk to me!!!!

Her husband just looked at me with a "wide-eyed" expression. From that night on, everytime I saw her, I tried to make a very wide berth!!!!!

It's all part of what we must endure with our SD's and some of the public. :rolleyes:

Geez - some people's kids! :rolleyes:

Honestly, I can never understand some people's reactions to animals. It blows my mind.

If it had been me, I would have talked your ear off (and hit the stop button in the elevator in order to have a captive audience!) all the while using every single ounce of energy I had to stop myself from reaching out and showing some love to Brenny :D. But, man I would have asked you if there was a time I could see her when she wasn't 'working' so that I could have loved her up a bit!!!

Miriam

I think the last one worked so here is one of our favorites of Keldon.

Thanks for all of the information/responses. I will be contacting Princess and Keldon's vet this week.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel close to the port in Ft Lauderdale? I researched hotels, but would rather avoid issues with unfriendly shuttle bus drivers/taxis.

Also, does Princess own Princess Cays? If so, has anyone taken their sd onshore there? Will Princess have issues if the sd gets wet or sandy on the beach?

Kim

small6.jpg.0a9b76b33e160756b9f6ed78089bf6f7.jpg

Miriam: There were so many folks just like you....who wanted "time" with Brenny and, I allowed it! Once they asked if they could touch her, I said, "Of course!" As long as she wasn't "on task" and, they asked first.

*** I must share this: The most beautiful sight of all was a little Asian girl, about 4 years old, who absolutely fell in love with Brenny. When she first saw her she stood back (as she should) and, I walked closer and closer with Brenny, as Brenny ran her nose from the little girls feet up to her nose. The girl giggled and it was "love!"

Everytime they caught sight of each other for the whole week, the dance they did with each other was priceless. I swear it could have been a show in the main theatre. It was so beautiful! The little girls father took lots and lots of pictures (Brenny's in more family albums), all around the world, as did lots of people who witnessed it!!!!!!

Cari: That's a priceless response, I'll remember it for next time!!!! Hopefully, I won't have to experience it again. But, it's inevitable (too bad!) :(

Y'know, there are people in the world who are afraid of dogs. When I was a child, playing in my own yard, not near any dogs -- someone's dog, running loose, raced into the yard, bit me hard and painfully -- and kept running. I was about 5. I was deathly afraid of dogs for years afterwards, and even now at 62 am wary of any dog I see until I get to know it. It could be that the woman in the elevator, not expecting to see a dog in an elevator, and not fully comprehending that it was a service dog (and so obviously well behaved and trained), reacted out of an almost-instinctive fear. And then was embarrassed at her own overreaction (I've been there, done that!) and didn't know how to gracefully get out of it.

Perhaps by the end of the evening, watching you and your dog interact, she was feeling better, if not even a bit more ashamed of her reaction.

Y'know, there are people in the world who are afraid of dogs. When I was a child, playing in my own yard, not near any dogs -- someone's dog, running loose, raced into the yard, bit me hard and painfully -- and kept running. I was about 5. I was deathly afraid of dogs for years afterwards, and even now at 62 am wary of any dog I see until I get to know it. It could be that the woman in the elevator, not expecting to see a dog in an elevator, and not fully comprehending that it was a service dog (and so obviously well behaved and trained), reacted out of an almost-instinctive fear. And then was embarrassed at her own overreaction (I've been there, done that!) and didn't know how to gracefully get out of it.

Perhaps by the end of the evening, watching you and your dog interact, she was feeling better, if not even a bit more ashamed of her reaction.

Thanks for the reminder. I never take offense, if they don't want Bailey in their personal space. I justt think they are probably afraid or allergic. Also, I was much more aware of getting into elevators that were nearly empty for formal night - Bailey has white hair and since so many clothes are black I think they had a fear they would end up with dog hair on them.

Thank you for this.....it's a genuine fear and, I totally get it.....Believe me, it's not what people say or do, it's the way in which they say or do it!!!!!!!

I'm extremely sensitive to people's behavior, their faces/facial expressions/body movements, etc. So, I always try and keep Brenny away from the humans who exhibit anything that may look like a "negative!"

Thank you for this.....it's a genuine fear and, I totally get it.....Believe me, it's not what people say or do, it's the way in which they say or do it!!!!!!!

I'm extremely sensitive to people's behavior, their faces/facial expressions/body movements, etc. So, I always try and keep Brenny away from the humans who exhibit anything that may look like a "negative!"

I absolutely agree with the fear thing too - man, I was bitten by a dog as a child (during my non-canine years) and feared dogs for MANY years after that time. But, I honestly never over reacted to the sight of a well behaved dog during those years. I'm not sure we can totally say it was just a fear of a dog vs. someone who really doesn't like animals.

I do like to see the good side of folks all the time but from what you described Roz, I am not seeing anything other than a mean spirit.

Sorry, must just be me!

I think the last one worked so here is one of our favorites of Keldon.

Thanks for all of the information/responses. I will be contacting Princess and Keldon's vet this week.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel close to the port in Ft Lauderdale? I researched hotels, but would rather avoid issues with unfriendly shuttle bus drivers/taxis.

Also, does Princess own Princess Cays? If so, has anyone taken their sd onshore there? Will Princess have issues if the sd gets wet or sandy on the beach?

Kim

I do not know about hotels in Ft. Lauderdale, but I do know that Best Western is fantasitic with Service Dogs. In all the ones that I have been in, they don't even charge a deposit for a service dog, now regular pets yes, but no deposit for our helpful buddies.

I do not know about hotels in Ft. Lauderdale, but I do know that Best Western is fantasitic with Service Dogs. In all the ones that I have been in, they don't even charge a deposit for a service dog, now regular pets yes, but no deposit for our helpful buddies.

NO ONE and, I mean NO ONE can ever ask for a deposit for a Service Dog ANYWHERE!

Not a hotel/motel/apartment/condo/restaurant/airline/train/bus/cab.....well, you get the picture.

It is a violation of the DOJ and the ADA laws......

If a place of busines has a "charge for pets"; you simply need to respond, "this is a Service Dog, not a pet!" They may ask you what type of service the dog performs.....that's it!!!!!

And, Chacoe is right, Best Western's are very Service Dog friendly.

I travel extensively and, have been in almost every chain and hotel there is.......the best treatment we ever got (other than Princess Cruises) was in San Jose, Ca. at The Fairmont Hotel....they brought in a doggie bed, water and food bowls and even toys, they made us feel so welcome.

When we were checking out, I asked how much was the bed and they told me everything was a "welcome gift!" How nice was that!!!!!

NO ONE and, I mean NO ONE can ever ask for a deposit for a Service Dog ANYWHERE!

Not a hotel/motel/apartment/condo/restaurant/airline/train/bus/cab.....well, you get the picture.

It is a violation of the DOJ and the ADA laws......

If a place of busines has a "charge for pets"; you simply need to respond, "this is a Service Dog, not a pet!" They may ask you what type of service the dog performs.....that's it!!!!!

And, Chacoe is right, Best Western's are very Service Dog friendly.

I travel extensively and, have been in almost every chain and hotel there is.......the best treatment we ever got (other than Princess Cruises) was in San Jose, Ca. at The Fairmont Hotel....they brought in a doggie bed, water and food bowls and even toys, they made us feel so welcome.

When we were checking out, I asked how much was the bed and they told me everything was a "welcome gift!" How nice was that!!!!!

Hi Roz,

The reason I said that was there was a Best Western here in Oregon that wanted to charge me a deposit and I said that under the law they couldn't, so he put it to me this way, "We hear from people all the time that their dogs are Service Dogs and we go into the room to clean and there is poop and pee all over the room, so now we charge for all dogs," I paid the deposit, but I got it back the next morning. The next morning I decided that was going to speak to the manager about it, he was surprised that the night clerk was charging for Service Dogs. He asked me if the clerk asked for proof and I said "No", and that is when he told me that I was not suppose to pay the deposit. A few weeks later I got a gift certificate in the mail for a one nights stay at any Best Western in the US and Canada. He put the nicest note in there and thanked me for bringing it to his attention and he wanted to let me know that the night clerk was reprimanded and was told to NEVER charge customers with service dogs again and to ask for proof that they are a service dog.

Hi Roz,

The reason I said that was there was a Best Western here in Oregon that wanted to charge me a deposit and I said that under the law they couldn't, so he put it to me this way, "We hear from people all the time that their dogs are Service Dogs and we go into the room to clean and there is poop and pee all over the room, so now we charge for all dogs," I paid the deposit, but I got it back the next morning. The next morning I decided that was going to speak to the manager about it, he was surprised that the night clerk was charging for Service Dogs. He asked me if the clerk asked for proof and I said "No", and that is when he told me that I was not suppose to pay the deposit. A few weeks later I got a gift certificate in the mail for a one nights stay at any Best Western in the US and Canada. He put the nicest note in there and thanked me for bringing it to his attention and he wanted to let me know that the night clerk was reprimanded and was told to NEVER charge customers with service dogs again and to ask for proof that they are a service dog.

"Proof", ah, this is where it gets difficult. Some Orgs. do not give their "teams" any paperwork ie. (CCI) which gives each of their teams a certification (wallet size card) showing a certification date and expiration, with the ada laws and a person to contact at CCI, if there are any question. It makes it easier for us [who carry these cards] but more difficult for other SD handlers who don't receive such a card.

Some very rude people lie and say their dogs are SD's and ruin it for our highly trained and very well managed dogs.

You handled it very well and, definitely came out the winner.

I think if an organization is a legitimate organization training dogs to be service dogs, they should be required to provide "certification" or some sort of formal identification that a person can carry, just for these sorts of situations.

I too know people who have what they claim are "service animals" -- and in at least two instances I know for certain that the critters are no more "service animals" than my beloved cats are "service animals" -- yet the people get away with toting their pets into all sorts of situations where ordinary pets shouldn't be. And make it really difficult for those of you who do have legitimate service animals to access the services you need. Not to mention difficult for folks like the clerk to really know that what is before him is a "service animal" and not just someone's pet, or someone who "trained" their pet because they read about it on the internet, or because their cousin is a dog trainer and "should know", or whatever.

On a lighter note: Reporting in from puppy central(or should I say poopy central, or perhaps piddle central.) Who knew two 13 WEEK old pups could put out so much wastage! Of course they are feeding me with kisses and laughter, so it is all even. I am now rethinking my paper towel usage and debating cleaning up with shop towels and washing. I am washing at least one sheet a day from their pen, so wouldn't be using any more hot water. I am trying to be green, but these puppies are foiling my efforts!!!!!!

Little "Buddy" has bonded with Mr Sunshine over the females. How dare that little girl "Sally" kiss his nose and then steal his rawhide right out from under him:(. Mr Sunshine just told him "sometimes you just have to let the ladies have what they want". I told him that sounded somewhat sexist, but since I was so tired from poop patrol I let it ride. Later little Miss Sally tried the same trick on Sandy the adult dog. Oh my goodness, such yips and yaps and drama! I thought Sandy had killed a puppy. Nope, she was just teaching her a lesson. Tonight when I refreshed the water dish, both puppies were very polite and waited for Sandy to finish her share before they approached the bowl. Off to bed. Puppies are tucked in their play yard and Sandy is taking the high ground on our bed.

On a lighter note: Reporting in from puppy central(or should I say poopy central, or perhaps piddle central.) Who knew two 13 WEEK old pups could put out so much wastage! Of course they are feeding me with kisses and laughter, so it is all even. I am now rethinking my paper towel usage and debating cleaning up with shop towels and washing. I am washing at least one sheet a day from their pen, so wouldn't be using any more hot water. I am trying to be green, but these puppies are foiling my efforts!!!!!!

Little "Buddy" has bonded with Mr Sunshine over the females. How dare that little girl "Sally" kiss his nose and then steal his rawhide right out from under him:(. Mr Sunshine just told him "sometimes you just have to let the ladies have what they want". I told him that sounded somewhat sexist, but since I was so tired from poop patrol I let it ride. Later little Miss Sally tried the same trick on Sandy the adult dog. Oh my goodness, such yips and yaps and drama! I thought Sandy had killed a puppy. Nope, she was just teaching her a lesson. Tonight when I refreshed the water dish, both puppies were very polite and waited for Sandy to finish her share before they approached the bowl. Off to bed. Puppies are tucked in their play yard and Sandy is taking the high ground on our bed.

I love hearing reports from puppy central, please keep them coming.

Thanks for the information on the hotels. A lot of my concern is re: the shuttle bus service. It seems a number of the hotels there offer free shuttles from the airport and to the port. I have heard several stories about shuttle bus drivers/taxi drivers refusing to allow service dogs!

Wish I could see those puppies...nothing cuter than a puppy tummy!

The info on hotels is great. We haven't had issues with shuttle buses and have been brave and using cabs more.

While I don't have to I do find that if I tell the hotel before coming that I have a service dog is does tend to work better. I always carry the ADA 1 pager on service dogs, which works like a dream with questions. http://www.ada.gov/svcanimb.htm The official government seal seems to do the trick every time.

Our favorite hotel for service dog friendliness:

Winner: The Madison, a Loews hotel, Washington DC: All Loews hotels have fantastic pet policies which works well for service animals and gave Werin a gift bag when she got there with a dog bowl, scoopies bags, treats, and a map for the closest potty area. (We didn't pay the full price, but got on Priceline for $99). The staff is superb.

Runner Up: All Disney hotels and resorts: The difference is the training creating an environment where you feel wanted rather than tolerated. They do an incredible job to ensure that all individuals you interact with know the rules and how to assist.

Some other Service dog friendly locations:

Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay, Cambridge MD

Marriott Downtown, Hartford, CT

Costa D-Este Resort, Vero Beach FL

Buena Vista Palace, Orlando FL

Residence Inn Manchester, CT

Residence Inn Arlington, VA

Marriott Seattle Waterfront, WA

Marriott Airport, Philadelphia PA

International Inn, Minot, ND

Embassy Suites, New York City

Holiday Inn & Suites East, Regina SK

The Heldrich, New Brunswick, NJ

Some where we had issues:

Days Inn, Estevan SK

Marriott Airport, Newark, NJ

Residence Inn, Holtsville NY

This is not an exhaustive list, but just based on our personal experiences

Pups slept well last night. There little faces are just full of sunshine in the morning. Me, I need a bit of caffeine before I am quite that sunny. My daughter was going to suffer thru checking on them at lunch time since I am at work. My little guy did great yesterday at Target. He is walking well on his leash, no forging and seems pretty confident. Of course we had to stop and let two little girls meet him. Then as I was leaving, a lady pulled her car over, pulled out her camera phone and started chattering away in spanish to us. I'm not sure she got that this was a sd in training as she offered me $400 for him. I'm sure she would pass out if I told her this dog would be worth about $18,000 by the time his training is complete:D. Of course we all know that really he would be "Priceless". Who wants to share with me how to post a picture??? These guys are too cute for words.

I think if an organization is a legitimate organization training dogs to be service dogs, they should be required to provide "certification" or some sort of formal identification that a person can carry, just for these sorts of situations.

I too know people who have what they claim are "service animals" -- and in at least two instances I know for certain that the critters are no more "service animals" than my beloved cats are "service animals" -- yet the people get away with toting their pets into all sorts of situations where ordinary pets shouldn't be. And make it really difficult for those of you who do have legitimate service animals to access the services you need. Not to mention difficult for folks like the clerk to really know that what is before him is a "service animal" and not just someone's pet, or someone who "trained" their pet because they read about it on the internet, or because their cousin is a dog trainer and "should know", or whatever.

You are correct in everything you said.......I couldn't agree more!