Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I love hearing reports from puppy central, please keep them coming.

Me too! Sunshine thank you!

On posting pictures: I simply went to the top of the thread; I went to "user cp" and followed on the steps. It went like magic.

The info on hotels is great. We haven't had issues with shuttle buses and have been brave and using cabs more.

While I don't have to I do find that if I tell the hotel before coming that I have a service dog is does tend to work better. I got tired of the questions, etc. And, since, unlike the airlines and cruiseships, hotels don't need to prepare for me, it just makes the reservation process go more quickly. I always carry the ADA 1 pager on service dogs, which works like a dream with questions. http://www.ada.gov/svcanimb.htm The official government seal seems to do the trick every time. Good idea!

Our favorite hotel for service dog friendliness:

Winner: The Madison, a Loews hotel, Washington DC: All Loews hotels have fantastic pet policies which works well for service animals and gave Werin a gift bag when she got there with a dog bowl, scoopies bags, treats, and a map for the closest potty area. (We didn't pay the full price, but got on Priceline for $99). The staff is superb.

Runner Up: All Disney hotels and resorts: The difference is the training creating an environment where you feel wanted rather than tolerated. They do an incredible job to ensure that all individuals you interact with know the rules and how to assist.

Some other Service dog friendly locations:

Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay, Cambridge MD

Marriott Downtown, Hartford, CT

Costa D-Este Resort, Vero Beach FL

Buena Vista Palace, Orlando FL

Residence Inn Manchester, CT

Residence Inn Arlington, VA

Marriott Seattle Waterfront, WA

Marriott Airport, Philadelphia PA

International Inn, Minot, ND

Embassy Suites, New York City

Holiday Inn & Suites East, Regina SK

The Heldrich, New Brunswick, NJ

Some where we had issues:

Days Inn, Estevan SK

Marriott Airport, Newark, NJ

Residence Inn, Holtsville NY

This is not an exhaustive list, but just based on our personal experiences Wow, what a great list!

Peter you are a "well spring" of information for us. Thank you!

Roz...You mentioned in an earlier post the certification/training license from the organization which trained the dog. Are you referring to the card you get from CCI with the picture on it, info on dog, recipient and expiration date? Do you just photocopy the card?

Peter...thanks that is a great list. I think we need you to travel more on the West Coast! I agree that Disney hotels are great, especially at Disney World.

Kim

Peter...thanks that is a great list. I think we need you to travel more on the West Coast! I agree that Disney hotels are great, especially at Disney World.

Kim,

Here are a few other west coast hotels where we have had a good experience with our service dog.

Inn at Laguna Beach, CA

Sheraton at LAX, CA

Queen Mary Hotel, CA (though you have to go off the ship to find a toilet area)

Disney's Paradise Pier, CA (Disney is the best!) Plus with Werin we got to see the "backstage" of many rides like the Haunted Mansion - going up in the main elevator without anyone else in it.

Homewood Suites, Seattle Downtown, WA

And Amtrak. We have had a really great time travelling on Amtrak. The conductors are very helpful. The longest trip we went on was last summer, which was about 10 hours from Montreal to Philadelphia. The ticketing agents however are horrible because they aren't really trained on what to do when you call.

All the airlines are good and normally give us the bulkhead row. Southwest however, won't move people out of the bulkhead if they are already on the plane when you get on, but Werin knows how to wiggle to get completely under the seat in front of us.

Roz...You mentioned in an earlier post the certification/training license from the organization which trained the dog. Are you referring to the card you get from CCI with the picture on it, info on dog, recipient and expiration date? Do you just photocopy the card?

Kim

Kim, yes, that's the one. I make copies of the following:

• City dog license
  • Department of Food and Agriculture/Certificat for Interstate or International Movement of Small Animals
  • Veterinary Vaccination Status
  • Rabies Vaccination Certificate
  • Copy of my Passport
  • Permit from CCI
  • Copy of my Drivers License
  • DOJ/ADA Laws
  • Letter from Doctor

When I arrive to the embarkation desk. I give them a complete set [copy] of the above. It makes my vacation go so much more smoothly.

I take these with me whenever we travel and, if need be, I bring them out to present to anyone who may be questioning our presence.

I've learned to be prepared from years of experience with the public. And, still, sometimes there will be a rouge "moron" who will still give us a difficult time.

I have learned to not argue with them; to stay strong and tall and not back down.

As you've read through my writings....I have seen employees [managers] be fired from their jobs; I've heard of entire department stores that have held "Service Dog Sensitivety Courses" and, I've been given some of the nicest gifts from hotels that [at first] gave me a very difficult time, upon arrival.

It's all good....and getting better for ALL of us!

Evening all:

I have great news! Leann Emily and Jezzy Lou have made friends. They are playing together, chasing each other and I am a happy mom. I knew it would come around, I am just impatient, specially when I thought I may have broke poor little Leann's heart! :(

Everyone have a great weekend.

Nancy

Nancy, What great news! And this news is just what I needed to hear. Worrying about my Bailee and a new dog has been on my mind constantly. I know things will probably be fine but when you see your baby attacked it sticks in your mind. You made me feel alittle better!! :)

Cindy

Me too! Sunshine thank you!

On posting pictures: I simply went to the top of the thread; I went to "user cp" and followed on the steps. It went like magic.

I still seemed to be challenged with posting pictures:mad:! I guess I will need to see if Mr Sunshine has more success that me. We are now puppi-less. I returned the two pups on Friday. They already looked bigger than the rest of the litter, and I don' mean that in a bad way. They looked taller. I fed them what I was advised, and actually used less treats then I anticipated in their training. They just seemed to respond to voice and pats more than food. If this pilot program continues I will take a some more puppies in a few weeks. I am traveling the next two weeks off and on, so it would not be a good time to bring some more home. So the pen, and plastic, and sheets, and cleaning supplies are all packed up for now. I will have an adult dog out on Tuesday for an outing,so I will not miss my dog fix too much. My daughter's chiuauuauu is with us for th weekend. He told the puppies who was in charge prett quickly on Friday morning. And they easily outweighed him. Pretty funny.

Mornin' all:

Happy Mother's Day!

Cindy: I understand how you feel. Fortunately I never thought about it because I never thought Leann would react that way. So hopefully yours will go just the opposite, no problems at all. Will keep our fingers crossed. I think Bailee will understand, she is a wise, older lady! :)

Nancy

I had a wonderful "Mother's Day" and, I hope you all had the same.

Nancy, good news! Being the good leader that you are, they knew that they had no choice but to bring each other into your pack!

Cindy, Bailee is probably missing the company of another dog and, when she sees how trained and well mannered her new pack mate will be she'll adjust just fine. Give them the space and time and you'll be very pleasantly surprised!

Sunshine, I'm sorry I couldn't be more specific about posting pictures, honestly, I'm not that computer literate......I hope your hubby can help you. I'd love to see your pictures.

I have so many neat pictures of Brenda, taken onboard the Sapphire.....I may change my pix if I can figure out how I did it, in the first place!

I'll figure out the photo process eventall. I have a black golden lab mix wit me right now. We are off to visit the Children's Hospital. Apparently she also as some fear issues. I am loading up on the treats and getting read to have my most happy voice ready. One time I had a dog completely balk on me outside the parking garage. I ended up canceling the visit:o. So far the last few dogs that were a bit timid did great, so I'll see. I am leaving in about 30 minutes, so thought I would check in.

DogParkLaguna?authkey=Gv1sRgCLe3jeHPnJOiew#5324735709806097090 I tried to insert a picture of Bailey and our daughter's dog playing at dog park to test if I could post a picture. It doesn't look like it worked. Sorry Sunshine, I can't help either as I would like to see your pics too! Edited by Andar

Sunshine, good luck with your dog and facing those fears.

I'm involved with the El Caballero Country Club Golf Tournament, this week. Getting 125 men going on an 18 hole golf course and then expecting them to be ready for cocktails and drinks by 5:30pm is a whole challenge in itself! Most of the men range between 55 and 90 years of age......it's a hoot to see some of them in their knickers! (Got the visual?)

Len Goodman (Dancing With The Stars -Judge) is playing in the tournament along with some movie stars.

I've been doing the tournament for the past 13 years and I never get tired of it! Brenda has been doing it for 7 years and she loves it too! The men adore her and she really likes the attention.

I'm just so glad that the weather here has calmed down to a mere 80 degrees instead of the 95 that it was last week.

Talk to you soon,

Roz

Well after about a month of mailing, faxing and phone calls, we finally got Orson's Bahamas permit faxed over to us today. :D So much pain and agony for a ten hour stop on Castaway Cay. Now I have to Fed-Ex the Tortola permit application out. Along with a Fed-Ex return envelope. Tortola requires a $10 application fee even for service dogs. And it has to be either cash or certified check. Needless to say I am NOT sending cash. Then all I need is the international health cert. which has to be done ten days before. We are told the fee for the state vet to rubber stamp that is $107. :eek: Our vet is checking to see if the fee is reduced for service dogs. I think I will have to take a day off and drive the cert. down to Trenton and have it signed. This way I know I have it in time.

Sunshine, good luck with your dog and facing those fears.

I'm involved with the El Caballero Country Club Golf Tournament, this week. Getting 125 men going on an 18 hole golf course and then expecting them to be ready for cocktails and drinks by 5:30pm is a whole challenge in itself! Most of the men range between 55 and 90 years of age......it's a hoot to see some of them in their knickers! (Got the visual?)

Len Goodman (Dancing With The Stars -Judge) is playing in the tournament along with some movie stars.

I've been doing the tournament for the past 13 years and I never get tired of it! Brenda has been doing it for 7 years and she loves it too! The men adore her and she really likes the attention.

I'm just so glad that the weather here has calmed down to a mere 80 degrees instead of the 95 that it was last week.

Talk to you soon,

Roz

Thanks for working at the fund raiser!! Any thing that helps these four legged angels find their matches is so worth it!

My fearful friend did pretty well. Had a few moments where the tail went down, the head went down and a cower at my side was beguinning! For the most part, she was a tail wagging, face licking, cheery girl. Actually I was more concerned with her friendliness and her approaching people on her own. I had to change my routine and REALLY keep her focused on me. Which is pretty darn hard when you are competing with toddlers and their parents!!

Hi DisneyKidsDad...I am curious about what is going on with you and your CCI (?) dog. Can you please tell me what ports you are visiting? It seems you are planning to take your sd off at many if not all of the ports, including one of the Cays. I thought the various "Cays" islands were under the control of various cruise companies. Do you know this to be true? We want to take our sd off in Princess Cays, but now are not sure what we will have to do. Any help? A

To Everyone...is there a different procedure or are different permits, etc. required depending on whether the dog will get off at the ports or remain on the ship?

Hi DisneyKidsDad...I am curious about what is going on with you and your CCI (?) dog. Can you please tell me what ports you are visiting? It seems you are planning to take your sd off at many if not all of the ports, including one of the Cays. I thought the various "Cays" islands were under the control of various cruise companies. Do you know this to be true? We want to take our sd off in Princess Cays, but now are not sure what we will have to do. Any help? A

To Everyone...is there a different procedure or are different permits, etc. required depending on whether the dog will get off at the ports or remain on the ship?

We will be going to St. Thomas (no permit needed), Disney's private island, Castaway Cay, which is in the Bahamas. We had to send for a permit for that one. Pretty simple form. The last one is Tortola. We had to have a rabies tider test done. We also have to have a stool sample done to check for internal parasites. Our vet also has to personally apply a topical flea treatment to the dog ten days before the cruise and fill out an international health cert. that has to be rubber stamped by the state vet. (fee based on how many islands you visit) Not counting St. Thomas, (USVI) we are stopping at two. (fee $107) Because Tortola is in the British Virgin Islands, they follow the same rules as if we were taking our SD to Great Britian.

Hi Disney

I cant WAIT till my Disney cruise in Oct !!! Ohhhhh your making me JEALOUS !!!! Do you have a verandah room or just inside or oceanview? if you have an oceanview or inside the potty box will be on Deck 7 aft I have tips for you its a pain in the butt DCL is the only line out there ive ever sailed who has thispolicy that the stupid door gets locked at 7 PM to 7 AM and your to call and have someone fromthe BRIDGE come and let you and your dog out last year Denver and i sat there for 1 hr and waited while Denver whined and cried it was BAD BAD BAD and the next AM we waited 20 min ... after that we were moved to a balcony room ... so if you have the inside type room let me know i think i have figured out a way to work it .... i am in the process of corresponding a letter with my attorney to write to the DOJ and disney reguarding the latter of the locked door and it not being accessable to people who are also in wheelchairs without the help of 1 other person bec the door is so heavy ( im NOT in a chair but have herd it is heavy ) so I will let you all know the verdict when I hear but anytime i hear of anyone crusing DCL with a SD i wanna make sure they dont hit the same speed bumos i did ... i complained to the line when i got back last year but no follow ups were done on their part and i was told nothing could be done ... hmmmmmm maybe because no one has challenged them !!!!! Good grief charlie brown !

ok let me know im surious and is this your first DCL cruise? im DYING to do the 7 night so id love to chat about it :-)

Hi Disney

I cant WAIT till my Disney cruise in Oct !!! Ohhhhh your making me JEALOUS !!!! Do you have a verandah room or just inside or oceanview? if you have an oceanview or inside the potty box will be on Deck 7 aft I have tips for you its a pain in the butt DCL is the only line out there ive ever sailed who has thispolicy that the stupid door gets locked at 7 PM to 7 AM and your to call and have someone fromthe BRIDGE come and let you and your dog out last year Denver and i sat there for 1 hr and waited while Denver whined and cried it was BAD BAD BAD and the next AM we waited 20 min ... after that we were moved to a balcony room ... so if you have the inside type room let me know i think i have figured out a way to work it .... i am in the process of corresponding a letter with my attorney to write to the DOJ and disney reguarding the latter of the locked door and it not being accessable to people who are also in wheelchairs without the help of 1 other person bec the door is so heavy ( im NOT in a chair but have herd it is heavy ) so I will let you all know the verdict when I hear but anytime i hear of anyone crusing DCL with a SD i wanna make sure they dont hit the same speed bumos i did ... i complained to the line when i got back last year but no follow ups were done on their part and i was told nothing could be done ... hmmmmmm maybe because no one has challenged them !!!!! Good grief charlie brown !

ok let me know im surious and is this your first DCL cruise? im DYING to do the 7 night so id love to chat about it :-)

We have a H/C balcony room on I think deck 6. We have already requested that the potty box be put on our balcony. This will be our third Disney cruise. But our first with a SD.

We will be going to St. Thomas (no permit needed), Disney's private island, Castaway Cay, which is in the Bahamas. We had to send for a permit for that one. Pretty simple form. The last one is Tortola. We had to have a rabies tider test done. We also have to have a stool sample done to check for internal parasites. Our vet also has to personally apply a topical flea treatment to the dog ten days before the cruise and fill out an international health cert. that has to be rubber stamped by the state vet. (fee based on how many islands you visit) Not counting St. Thomas, (USVI) we are stopping at two. (fee $107) Because Tortola is in the British Virgin Islands, they follow the same rules as if we were taking our SD to Great Britian.

Could you please pass on the information (i.e. phone numbers, e-mail address) for the Bahamas? i am thinking perhaps Princess Cays will also need the Bahamas permit you referenced. On our Nov. cruise we are also going to St. Thomas. What was your source of information for paperwork? I also need to get some information on Grand Turk and St. Martin. Are you going on excursions with your sd? I do not remember reading previous posts about the state vet having to rubber stamp? Does that mean your vet fills out the international health cert. then you have to take it (within 10 days) to another vet??? How do you find out where the state vet is located for your state? I will be very interested to hear how your cruise went and your sd stories! Did CCI have any information to help you?

Kim

Could you please pass on the information (i.e. phone numbers, e-mail address) for the Bahamas? i am thinking perhaps Princess Cays will also need the Bahamas permit you referenced. On our Nov. cruise we are also going to St. Thomas. What was your source of information for paperwork? I also need to get some information on Grand Turk and St. Martin. Are you going on excursions with your sd? I do not remember reading previous posts about the state vet having to rubber stamp? Does that mean your vet fills out the international health cert. then you have to take it (within 10 days) to another vet??? How do you find out where the state vet is located for your state? I will be very interested to hear how your cruise went and your sd stories! Did CCI have any information to help you?

Kim

Here is the site for the Bahamas. http://www.bahamas.com/vacation-planning/pets

Scroll down to the very bottom of the page and click on Pet Importation Documentation, it will open up a .pdf with all the information and forms. The Bahamas waves the $10 fee for service dogs. Nothing is needed for St. Thomas. We do not have any excursions planned yet. Accessible Adventures has an accessible tour on St. Thomas. We did it a few years ago and don't plan on doing it again. It was a very nice tour. We are hoping that we can find a taxi with a lift in St. Thomas so we can go to Coral World. Not sure what we are going to do in Tortola.

Your vet should have info on the location of your state vet. Your vet MUST see the SD within ten days of your cruise, fill out the international health cert. and then you can either have them overnight it to them for signing or take it yourself. With a payment for whatever they charge.

CCI did not have any information for us. We are giving them the info as we get it so they can advise others.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. We will learn together.

Here is the site for the Bahamas. http://www.bahamas.com/vacation-planning/pets

Scroll down to the very bottom of the page and click on Pet Importation Documentation, it will open up a .pdf with all the information and forms. The Bahamas waves the $10 fee for service dogs. Nothing is needed for St. Thomas. We do not have any excursions planned yet. Accessible Adventures has an accessible tour on St. Thomas. We did it a few years ago and don't plan on doing it again. It was a very nice tour. We are hoping that we can find a taxi with a lift in St. Thomas so we can go to Coral World. Not sure what we are going to do in Tortola.

Your vet should have info on the location of your state vet. Your vet MUST see the SD within ten days of your cruise, fill out the international health cert. and then you can either have them overnight it to them for signing or take it yourself. With a payment for whatever they charge.

CCI did not have any information for us. We are giving them the info as we get it so they can advise others.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. We will learn together.

Thanks for the help. I will let you know if I have any additional questions. I probably will...knowing me. I would offer the same, but since I am the new kid on the block I don't know much yet! Yes, we will learn together. I think it is a great idea to forward information to CCI so they can help others as well.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Mornin' all: :D

Nice and warm already. Gonna get hot today. But nothing like it will be in July and August. :eek: There has been a slight breeze, which helps.

Sure would be nice to be on a cruise right now! I can feel the sea air and taste the bloody mary's! I know, what an imagination.......

Everyone have a great weekend.

Nancy