Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Scooter came home about 3:30 pm Friday afternoon. The Dr ended up with a larger incision than hoped for, but Scooter is doing well.

He is eating soft food and wanting to be loved on. By 9pm, he was letting me know he was missing his nightly walk, so we took a short one to a couple of his favorite spots. He got to spot a couple of baby rabbits and say hi to a night guard we see most nights.

Going to bed was another issue. When I put the cone of shame on him he flipped out. I finally gave him a Benedryl to deal with the rapid breathing and heart rate, in part because I was afraid he would hurt himself in his kennel if he kept pushing against the door like he was.

I'll check on him in a few more minutes, but he seemed to be settling in.

Poor baby!

Our local Sarasota newspaper had a good article today about the new dog relief area that has opened in our SRQ airport. Thought you all might be interested:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20160729/news/160729548

So happy for this new law, since we will be on trans-continental flights with stopovers in Dallas next month on the way to Alaska.

Aw shucks, thanks for being interested. Might give you some ideas of fun places if/when you get an RV. I'm a big fan of boating, but it's really hard to sail to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta!:D

I searched the MotorHome website by destination name and found the Carolinas articles that might interest you if you rent an RV.

Outer Banks was the first one I wrote for them after we bought an RV:

http://www.motorhome.com/top-stories/north-carolinas-outer-banks-by-rv/

Beaufort, NC and Beaufort SC:

http://www.motorhome.com/motorhome-travel/a-tale-of-two-beauforts/

And Yadkin Valley:

http://www.motorhome.com/motorhome-travel/carolina-cabernet/

The site shows some of my oldies only from 2014 when I enter my name in the search box (not older or newer articles, go figure):

http://www.motorhome.com/index.php?s=christine+goodier&x=0&y=0

Roz, I loved that your Morey used to read MotorHome. Keith, besides the travel articles, it's a useful magazine if you do get into RVing with handy info about the technical side.

Just to bring this all back to DOGS - that last link includes an article I wrote about another deaf RVer who had a Hearing Dog. After meeting the head of Dogs for the Deaf at a big RV event, I wanted to do something to help promote such a great group, and pitched the idea to my editor. And all that led to my applying for a dog myself.

Chris - I have really been enjoying your articles - you have a great writing style and I am ready to go RVing! I also really like your husband's photos...can't wait to read the latest one.

Keith

Thanks for all the well wishes. Scooter had a good day and seems comfortable.

He woke up at 5pm when some cats invaded the front porch, but then rested (and let me rest) until nearly 9. That was awesome since I was up until 1am.

He has dozed off and on all day, is eating well, and demanded his evening walk this evening, acting just about like normal.

He is even doing really well keeping away from the incision sites, so as long as we can watch him, we can keep the cone off.

It is amazing how fast they bounce back!

For our SD class yesterday, we went to the Sanford, FL airport. (just outside of Orlando)

What a great class and how well done it was. One side of the terminal wasn't being used at the moment so we got to use that side. They brought out the TSA agents and had us go through just like for real.

Jagger and I went through twice just because it was such a great learning lesson. Of course we set off the alarm because of the metal on Jagger's harness. He was such a good boy when he got patted down.

We also put all our dogs in stay, then we walked through the opening. (brain dead right now cannot recall proper term... ) Then we called our dogs to come through. Jagger was a rockstar!

We also visited the new Service Dog Relief area. I didn't think Jagger would go as it's rocks and he's used to grass. But he did. The fact that other dogs peed there leaves that smell. Worked just like "girl dog pee". (ha ha - we find that if a girl dog pees - all the other dogs will right on the same spot!)

Well, it's a big two weeks for us! We start our Partner Training tomorrow. If all goes well - Jagger will have his "big boy vest" on the 13th. :)

Holly

d!

Question: Have any of you had any encounters with folks of the Muslim religion. I belong to a blog from CCI and some of the folks who have Service Dogs are having negative experiences with reactions from these people in a restaurant and in an ice cream parlor. They tried to grab the leash of his dog and pull them outside, all the while screaming, "get that dirty thing out of here!" Horrible!

Staying calm and keeping a cool head can be very frustrating at times!

Hi Roz – I’ve been thinking about your question for a few days; I don’t know if it is a religious issue as much as a cultural issue. I imagine there are passages in both the Bible and the Koran derogatory to dogs. Think about it – it’s only been in the last couple of generations that dogs have been welcomed in our homes here in the US, much less restaurants and hotels.

To be clear - there is no excuse other than ignorance or rudeness for the ice cream incident you wrote about or for your experience with Horton in the restaurant a while back…so we must all continue to try and educate people about Service Dogs.

I work in an industry that deals mainly with rural stores and rural folks in NC and SC and a few other southern states, and for a lot of those people dogs are still kept outside. One of my Buyers just started letting his new dog sleep inside (to be fair he found him as a puppy, whimpering and abandoned in the woods outside his house), but he still lets him roam outside while he is at work during the day – in an area populated by coyotes! He just expects him to show up at dinner time…and he does and he probably enjoys his life immensely. My wife would shoot me if I accidently left Lucy outside!...(no kidding – accidental shooting of Keith please investigate immediately!).

My daughter’s boyfriend is Indian and he visited us for a couple of weeks this summer – super nice guy in every way – but he was very uncomfortable around Lucy. He tried his best to disguise it and never said a word, but it was obvious he just did not understand how we could have her sleep with us at night.

Having said all that, and I know I am rambling – as I said above all we can do is keep trying to educate everyone about what Service Dogs such as Horton and Raylene and Orson and all the other ones really do, and also that their Owners and Dogs have legal access to all public access areas that anyone else does.

I guess what I am trying to say is that hopefully their kids attitudes will change for the better...like most kids' do.

Thanks to this thread a lot of us lurkers are spreading the word when we can…

Keith

Edited by alexspepa

I think Keith is right, and that is what I was trying to say above. It is cultural rather than religious.

I was speaking with a couple more students the other night while walking Scooter. They happen to be Indian (as in from India). The girl wanted to love on Scooter, while the young man hung back from the pup. I mentioned that when I encountered Indian students, most of them gave Scooter and I a wide berth.

They said there are a lot of wild dogs in parts of India, and the young man said he had been attacked twice as a child by wild dogs. As a result, he was rather afraid of dogs. The girl was from an area where people tend to partner with dogs and was comfortable around them. She asked to pet him. I gave Scooter the down command and the girl pet him and showed the young man that he was friendly, and how different dogs are in the US when people spend time training them.

I actually live half a block from the Mosque in my community.

I don't believe it is Islam, but rather it is a tribal thing.

There are a lot of people who have a hard time tribal traditions from faith, and I believe this is one of them, since I know a number of Muslim people who own dogs that live in the home. Granted - most of those people are from Turkey. I believe the issue may be the Arab culture rather than Islam, since they are not exactly the same. They just get mixed up a lot.

The non-Arab Muslims I know don't seem to have an issue with dogs or with how I dress.

Thanks Barb!

Hi Roz – I’ve been thinking about your question for a few days; I don’t know if it is a religious issue as much as a cultural issue. I imagine there are passages in both the Bible and the Koran derogatory to dogs. Think about it – it’s only been in the last couple of generations that dogs have been welcomed in our homes here in the US, much less restaurants and hotels.

To be clear - there is no excuse other than ignorance or rudeness for the ice cream incident you wrote about or for your experience with Horton in the restaurant a while back…so we must all continue to try and educate people about Service Dogs.

I work in an industry that deals mainly with rural stores and rural folks in NC and SC and a few other southern states, and for a lot of those people dogs are still kept outside. One of my Buyers just started letting his new dog sleep inside (to be fair he found him as a puppy, whimpering and abandoned in the woods outside his house), but he still lets him roam outside while he is at work during the day – in an area populated by coyotes! He just expects him to show up at dinner time…and he does and he probably enjoys his life immensely. My wife would shoot me if I accidently left Lucy outside!...(no kidding – accidental shooting of Keith please investigate immediately!).

My daughter’s boyfriend is Indian and he visited us for a couple of weeks this summer – super nice guy in every way – but he was very uncomfortable around Lucy. He tried his best to disguise it and never said a word, but it was obvious he just did not understand how we could have her sleep with us at night.

Having said all that, and I know I am rambling – as I said above all we can do is keep trying to educate everyone about what Service Dogs such as Horton and Raylene and Orson and all the other ones really do, and also that their Owners and Dogs have legal access to all public access areas that anyone else does.

I guess what I am trying to say is that hopefully their kids attitudes will change for the better...like most kids' do.

Thanks to this thread a lot of us lurkers are spreading the word when we can…

Keith

Thanks Keith. Hopefully, in the near future this all will be a non-issue!

For our SD class yesterday, we went to the Sanford, FL airport. (just outside of Orlando)

What a great class and how well done it was. One side of the terminal wasn't being used at the moment so we got to use that side. They brought out the TSA agents and had us go through just like for real.

Jagger and I went through twice just because it was such a great learning lesson. Of course we set off the alarm because of the metal on Jagger's harness. He was such a good boy when he got patted down.

We also put all our dogs in stay, then we walked through the opening. (brain dead right now cannot recall proper term... ) Then we called our dogs to come through. Jagger was a rockstar!

We also visited the new Service Dog Relief area. I didn't think Jagger would go as it's rocks and he's used to grass. But he did. The fact that other dogs peed there leaves that smell. Worked just like "girl dog pee". (ha ha - we find that if a girl dog pees - all the other dogs will right on the same spot!)

Well, it's a big two weeks for us! We start our Partner Training tomorrow. If all goes well - Jagger will have his "big boy vest" on the 13th. :)

Holly

Holly, you and Jagger have come so far. I hope we get to meet each other one day.

Holly

I can't believe you two are finally going to be official! You have both worked so hard and I hope you have a great life together!!

Our weather is a few degrees cooler [although, that's because our humidity went up] and, we all know how Auntie Roz hates humidity. And, so does her hair!!! :eek:

Our fires are 60% contained and it's the weekend.....life is good!

Have a wonderful weekend. I hope that none of you got caught up in the horrible weather that is occurring in the east. And, if you did, I hope that you survived it all!!!

Question: Have any of you had any encounters with folks of the Muslim religion. I belong to a blog from CCI and some of the folks who have Service Dogs are having negative experiences with reactions from these people in a restaurant and in an ice cream parlor. They tried to grab the leash of his dog and pull them outside, all the while screaming, "get that dirty thing out of here!" Horrible!

Staying calm and keeping a cool head can be very frustrating at times!

Roz, We have alot of Asians that live in our building. They are terrified of Wexler to the point of not getting on the elevator with us, running down the hall the opposite way. It's unbelievable. But it's a cultural thing. They have gotten alot better and the ones who are learning English say "very black" and "beautiful " . Most will also get on the elevator now too!

Roz, We have alot of Asians that live in our building. They are terrified of Wexler to the point of not getting on the elevator with us, running down the hall the opposite way. It's unbelievable. But it's a cultural thing. They have gotten alot better and the ones who are learning English say "very black" and "beautiful " . Most will also get on the elevator now too!

Yes, I'm always shocked when Asian people are friendly towards my dogs and even allow their children to pat them. It's okay, I've learned over the years to be sensitive to different cultures and I ALWAYS ask if they mind if I get on the elevator with them, or if I can sit near them, etc., etc.

There's a big learning curve when going through life with a Service Dog!!!

Yes, I'm always shocked when Asian people are friendly towards my dogs and even allow their children to pat them. It's okay, I've learned over the years to be sensitive to different cultures and I ALWAYS ask if they mind if I get on the elevator with them, or if I can sit near them, etc., etc.

There's a big learning curve when going through life with a Service Dog!!!

Interesting point, as I had not noticed and we probably have about a third of our faculty, at least our newer faculty, who are Asian. I'll need to be sensitive to that in particular as I move about campus. It is absolutely amazing how few newly minted PhDs there are in STEM fields there are who are NOT from India or Asia!

In other news, I have the most amazing boss! She noticed that Scooter was struggling to keep his attention where it needed to be in the office (we are in a bit of a cube farm) and asked if I wanted to trade placed with a colleague in a corner. The colleague has a secluded corner that will be perfect for a stay-rug and I can rearrange things so that my workspace keeps Scooter right there, yet secluded from everything else.

Next up is to find better meeting places with faculty and students , but this new cube might work for that as well if I do it right. The cultural discussion brought it back around, as did a colleague who asked me not to bring him due to allergies. Poor pup, he is doing such a great job learning how to behave in offices and classrooms this summer, but everyone comes back and campus will be buzzing again in just two short weeks! He will be on overload!

Chris, perfect. txcruser, make 3 copies of everything [having too much information about your dog is NOT possible], you will be asked for the paperwork when you register [before boarding], make sure they have their own copy. It will save you time as they go looking for a copy machine. Keep the original with you and give the other copy to the Purser's Desk, onboard the ship.

Make sure that your dog is ALWAYS acting appropriately and do allow your fellow passengers a time when they may pat him/her. They're so curious about everything about your dog and they're missing their own furbabies at home.

Also, while at the Purser's Desk ask them where they've placed the potty box and ask to be taken to it. You may leave your potty bags for solid pick up or, they usually will provide some sort of plastic bags for you. If you need more filler or want it rearranged this is the time to speak up.

Thanks for the advice. I am feeling so much better about going on a cruise. I read about so many people who stay home but to me that's what having a Service Dog is about. Thanks again.

Need advice. We will be flying from Florida to Seattle soon for our Alaska cruise, and I have not flown with Raylene before.

Our first flight to Dallas leaves at 11 a.m, and is three hours long (if all goes well). Two hour layover in Dallas when I would take her to a relief location (if all goes well.) The second flight Dallas/Seattle is five hours.

Ray's routine is to pee and eat her morning meal at 6 a.m. At about 7:15, I take her on a 30 minute walk to poop. Can I stick with that routine on our flight day? Or am I making a mistake to give her food the day of flying? There would be 5 hours between eating and take-off.

If I don't feed her in the morning, it will be 27 hours from her feeding the night before until she eats once we land in Seattle. I'm picturing that sad face and a lot of nudging to remind me she hasn't eaten.

I've heard I can give her some ice chips but not a full bowl of water.

I sent this question to her training organization, but meantime wanted to know what you have done. Coming home, I've already decided no a.m. food because it is an early flight.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Interesting point, as I had not noticed and we probably have about a third of our faculty, at least our newer faculty, who are Asian. I'll need to be sensitive to that in particular as I move about campus. It is absolutely amazing how few newly minted PhDs there are in STEM fields there are who are NOT from India or Asia!

In other news, I have the most amazing boss! She noticed that Scooter was struggling to keep his attention where it needed to be in the office (we are in a bit of a cube farm) and asked if I wanted to trade placed with a colleague in a corner. The colleague has a secluded corner that will be perfect for a stay-rug and I can rearrange things so that my workspace keeps Scooter right there, yet secluded from everything else.

Next up is to find better meeting places with faculty and students , but this new cube might work for that as well if I do it right. The cultural discussion brought it back around, as did a colleague who asked me not to bring him due to allergies. Poor pup, he is doing such a great job learning how to behave in offices and classrooms this summer, but everyone comes back and campus will be buzzing again in just two short weeks! He will be on overload!

Barb, moving to a quieter, more congenial cube for Scooter sounds perfect. Horton and I are the very first cube that EVERYONE has to pass and of course he has to say "hello" to EVERYONE! He's a social butterfly. He's slowly learning that that is what his crate is for. He can go inside and be left alone at his will.

I'm sorry about your colleague who asked that you not bring him because of allergies. It took a long time to realize that that is their problem not mine. And, that's what allergy pills are for!