Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

:D Hello to all my friends!!! Well we are done with day one and only 11 more to go. Alot of lectures this morning then this afternoon we got to work with the dogs. They are all gorgeous!! I am not allowed to mention any of them by name at this point. John did great of course. Its very exciting and we survived!!!!!! I'll write soon.

Cindy , John, Bailee, & New service dog!!

:D Hello to all my friends!!! Well we are done with day one and only 11 more to go. Alot of lectures this morning then this afternoon we got to work with the dogs. They are all gorgeous!! I am not allowed to mention any of them by name at this point. John did great of course. Its very exciting and we survived!!!!!! I'll write soon.

Cindy & John: Thank you so much for keeping us in the loop!!!! I'm right there with you. I remember the first day and, how there was so much to learn and I was so tired and excited all at the same time.

I'm glad you survived the first day.....Take pictures.

I'm glad John is doing well.

Remember a few months ago, when you never thought this would happen for you both?

Keep up the good work....we're right there with you......rooting you both on, everyday!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting. I so understand the "let's not talk abt the dogs by name yet". That is one of the reasons I never mention names of the dogs and pups I talk about. I think it is a service dog/training kind of thing. Looking forward to updates. I am sending warm wishes and puppy kisses your way.

Congrats on surviving DAY 1. Once you get in a groove it is smooth sailing. Glad to hear things are going great for John. Thanks for keeping us updated. We are all thinking of you guys. Have a good day tomorrow.

Kim and Keldon

Mornin' all:

Cindy: So glad you got a minute to post! We will just have to wait on your news on which great SD you get. Hugs to you and John, now go out there and get em!

Everyone have a great day. First day of work today, not much time in the mornings anymore.........

Nancy

Great to hear your first day went well. Has everyone worked with

"carpet dog" yet? How have the lunches been? Who is your "Dorm Mom"?

Mornin' all:

Cindy: So glad you got a minute to post! We will just have to wait on your news on which great SD you get. Hugs to you and John, now go out there and get em!

Everyone have a great day. First day of work today, not much time in the mornings anymore.........

Nancy

Nancy, we've all been so wrapped-up in Cindy & John and their Team Training, I've forgotten about you new job.

I wish you good luck and much success. Now, you can focus on saving those dollars for the next cruise!!!!!

I know it's not the most important part of the day, while Team Training, but, Morey and I really looked forward to our fabulous lunches brought in by those awesome volunteers!!!!! Really yummy!!!!!!!!

They were a wonderful break to our full days!

DKD...That is too funny. I was going to ask about carpet dog, but thought maybe that was only a West Coast thing. I did not want Cindy and John to think I was crazy! LOL

Kim

Is it too much of an inside joke, or can you let us in on the "carpet dog":)

In 2002 we had a "carpet dog" that we used to learn and practice "corrections" on; how to hold the leash; how close and where should the dog be in relationship to you; which direction to tug the leash when correcting, etc.

That was our "carpet dog!" ;)

We also had the most amazing "housefather", "Dan", he would take care of all of our Dorm needs.

Holy cow Roz, people get jobs everyday, but they don't get SD everyday! I am so excited for John and Cindy. AND to top it off, there is a gorgeous SD that works with our district. Her name is Biscuit and she is a golden. Slept right thru orientation today, like most of us would have like too! I resisted meeting her today, hopefully she will work on our campus and I can meet up with her.

Everyone have a great evening.

Nancy

Hello All! Day 2 and we are still alive!!! Today was alot better and it was working with the dogs all day. Tomorrow is the big day for us, we find out which baby is ours!!! We have made our choices and I hope one of them will be ours. They are all great! We did work with carpet dog yesterday and today. But the real ones are so much more fun. I love being included but its hard. I think having a service dog before makes it tougher on us. John is doing great, I'm so proud of him!! I will try to write again tomorrow to let you know about our baby!

Cindy & John

Like Roz said it is a practice dog. Kind of a round thing you can put a collar on and someone can hold while you practice your corrections! Everyone got a turn with carpet dog.

Cindy glad to hear all is going well. I think it is a bit harder for people who have had a dog with lots of commands previously i.e. prior s.d., an agility dog, show dog, etc. They have to get all the old commands out of their head and utilize the right ones. Of course even those of us who did not fall into that category can have problems. One day during Team Training I walked the dog up to the bench to give him the command to go under the bench and said "bench" instead of the command. He just stood there and the trainer cracked up. So did I after a little bit...duh. LOL

We had Dan too Roz and he was super nice. I also agree about the wonderful volunteers and lunches. They were great!

I think SD's in the classroom are great. There is a local school who has one. I am trying to talk our school into it. No luck so far.

Have a good evening everyone.

Kim and Keldon

Carpet dog is a rolled up piece of carpet about two feet long, held together with duct tape. The trainers put a training collar and leash on it.

they hold it and let you practice commands and corrections with it. This way you learn how hard to do your corrections without stressing out a real dog. Our class had a running joke that by the end of the two weeks someone was going to go home with carpet dog instead of a real dog. :D

Hello All! Day 2 and we are still alive!!! Today was alot better and it was working with the dogs all day. Tomorrow is the big day for us, we find out which baby is ours!!! We have made our choices and I hope one of them will be ours. They are all great! We did work with carpet dog yesterday and today. But the real ones are so much more fun. I love being included but its hard. I think having a service dog before makes it tougher on us. John is doing great, I'm so proud of him!! I will try to write again tomorrow to let you know about our baby!

Cindy & John

Yahooooo! The first couple of days are exhausting. When graduation day comes.....you will feel like you've been at CCI for years. And, you will have earned that "Masters" degree!!!!!!!

Day three gives me goosebumps......enjoy the time with your new baby. And, come back (I know you can't tell us his/her name), just tell us how much you've fallen in love.....

Give John a big kiss (smack on his forehead) from me! I'm proud of him and hope that the rest of your days at Team Training are successful! :)

Hello All, We got our new baby today!!! woooooooooooohoooooooooooooo and he's perfect!!! And hes black!!! And was our first choice! I can't wait for all of you to see him. We are so excited and you can see him bonding with John already. When he is released he puts his head on Johns lap... so so cute!! I'll write more later.

:D:D:D:D

Cindy & John

Hello All, We got our new baby today!!! woooooooooooohoooooooooooooo and he's perfect!!! And hes black!!! And was our first choice! I can't wait for all of you to see him. We are so excited and you can see him bonding with John already. When he is released he puts his head on Johns lap... so so cute!! I'll write more later.

Cindy & John

Okay, now I'm crying!!!!!!! OMG, I'm so excited for you both......John has his "black" dog! And, the big boy looks like my Brenny.

I know we're not supposed to get so excited because they tell you that things could change and you could have a dog switched at the last moment, yada, yada, yada.......but, I'm so excited for you. And, if "_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _" (did I get the numbers of letters right?) is already bonding with John the Trainers recognize that and, they love it!!!!!!!

I can't wait to hear more!!!!!!

Cindy & John

Terrific! Glad to hear "the dog" and John are bonding. Keldon says hooray for another handsome black CCI boy in the group. Tonight is just the most fabulous night. He is with you guys and everyone is getting to know each other. I have goosebumps. Enjoy him and love him up.

Is Roz right????? Cross or full lab?

Cindy, I leave for the East Coast tomorrow. I am helping my sister and family move from PA to IL. I will be checking in to see how you guys are doing. I am so happy for you guys and thanks for keeping us updated. Hope all continues to go well for you....you are in good hands!

Kim and Keldon

Roz, No it's not him. We didn't even work with him. This one is even better :D!!! He's a cross, alittle golden in him. And such a lover!! They told us that John and "him" are looking good together, so that made us happy.

Kim, Have a great trip and keep in touch.

I'll write tomorrow

Cindy & John

I am cracking up over the "carpet dog". I saw a show on training for K-9 military dogs on animal planet. Those guys had buckets on a leash that they carted around with them. I thought maybe you only worked the dog on carpet:o.

Also too excited for you and can't wait to hear abt things later when you get home.

As a volunteer I am glad to hear that y'all all enjoyed the meals. I know a lot of thought goes into the ones I prepare.

I am cracking up over the "carpet dog". I saw a show on training for K-9 military dogs on animal planet. Those guys had buckets on a leash that they carted around with them. I thought maybe you only worked the dog on carpet:o.

Also too excited for you and can't wait to hear abt things later when you get home.

As a volunteer I am glad to hear that y'all all enjoyed the meals. I know a lot of thought goes into the ones I prepare.

Oh! Brother! I loved you for what you did for the pups and all the folks who will get the benefit of them......Now, I learn that you're also a "volunteer" who prepares the meals for the people who are going through training.

Geeezzz, woman, how do we thank you? Nothing would work so well with these organizations without wonderful people like YOU!

We wouldn't have our dogs (or the waitlist for them would be astonomical) and, the daily meals that we counted-on to sustain us through the training process would be unbearable!!!!!

YOU truly make a difference.....My husband, Brenda and I can't thank you and everyone like you enough!!!!

Roz, No it's not him. We didn't even work with him. This one is even better :D!!! He's a cross, alittle golden in him. And such a lover!! They told us that John and "him" are looking good together, so that made us happy.

Kim, Have a great trip and keep in touch.

I'll write tomorrow

Cindy & John

Not him?????? Now, we'll all be truly surprised, when you tell us. Enjoy this time......I swear it went so, so fast. And, now I'm looking at my 9 1/2 year old CCI girl, who refuses to slow down and, I'm grateful for that!

So,I get home from work and the grocery store, get all the perishables put up, cool off. Then turn the computer on. Hohum.....Usually check email first, BUT HAD TO COME HERE AND HEAR ABOUT WHAT WE CAN ABOUT JOHN AND CINDY'S NEW FURBABY! I will go back and study the photo again and try and figure it out. I have goosebumps too! Hugs and kisses to John, Cindy and furbaby. Enjoy your first of many many more nights with "him".

Sunshine: As Roz says, you are a remarkable woman. You make a difference in so many lives. I commend you.

Everyone have a great evening.

Nancy

Well, I went back and looked at the picture again. Even though we know it is a black boy, I'm still not sure. My second guess would be the last black boy in the top row. Can't read his name for the life of me. But looks majestic and maybe has a little longer (golden hair) look about him.

Nancy