Regatta in St. Martin Question

angel23321

Hi all, I have a question about the regatta cup race excursion. First does anyone know how much it costs? Also can do you have to participate or can you just enjoy the race? My DH has a bad back and I don't know how much I could do but I would love to go on this excursion since I've heard all good things and it sounds like it would be a blast. We've done catamarans before and this sounds like a lot of fun. So what can people tell me about it? Thanks in advancd! :)

This is a "Do Not Miss" excursion. You may actively participate or just go along for the ride. You race two of the actual yachts from the America's Cup of years past. We were aboard Stars & Stripes and we soundly defeated Canada II.

I'm trying to remember exactly, but I *think* the cost was $85/pp. Book as soon as you can onboard, it sells out fast.

Hi,

Tef43 is absolutely correct!!! This is a "not miss" excursion. It's an absolute blast!!! The crew will pick you up at the ship and give you a short summary of how the America's Cup came to be. I've sailed for years and still found it very interesting. They will then select a captain for each 12 member team. The captain will then select his/her crew. They do their best to keep groups together. Then they will ask if you want to be "active", "semi-active" or not active. Based on your answer, you are assigned a job. Since I love sailing and had always dreamed of doing an America's Cup for real I chose "active". I was assigned to be a Grinder manning a 4 person winch to trim the headsail. Now I know why all those guys are huge!! I never worked so hard and had so much fun at the same time. There are two mates and a captain to tell you exactly what to do so you do not need any prior experience at all. If you choose "semi active" they'll give you a less physically demanding position. The best job for non-active is the most important position on the boat...Beer Wench...LOL!!...Also, if you just want to go along for the ride, that's OK as well. During the race, they have a guy come up behind the boat in a Zodiac and he takes photos of the "crew" while racing. Make sure to stick your head up so you can be seen. It's a great photo and they give you a signed certificate at the end. The photo and certificate go in a folder type frame that can be displayed. It's a very nice momento. You pick up the photo when they drop you back at the their shop so you have a chance to buy hats, shirts etc that have the logo of the boat you sailed on. The t shirts are very reasonable. I think I paid about $20 for mine. And if you ever sail with them again the next t shirt is free. I'm going there again this October and am planning on doing it again. The cost I believe was $85 and worthe every penny. Oh, did I mention the Rum Party at their shop. Those sailors make a killer rum punch!! Book as soon as the excursion desk opens. There is a limited amount of space. I hope I didn't get long winded here. Have fun.

One of our dining room tablemates was selected "Captain" for our team. She was "Captain Vi" for the duration of the cruise. Dinner that evening was an absolute riot, and I'm quite sure that the one couple at the table that did not book this excursion ended up wishing that they had.

cruztime was a "primary grinder" on their sail, I had a marginally easier task as a "main grinder." Kathy opted for the "beer wench" job. The commemorative pics are *not* inexpensive, but would make an interesting conversation piece.

If you buy the t-shirt, and then wear the shirt the *next* time you take the tour, they will give you the new shirt free.

Yes, the rum punch is lethal. Right up there with the rocket fuel that they serve on the Jolly Roger Pirate Cruise in Antigua :eek:.

I say it again, do *not* miss this tour!

I do not believe that you have the option of booking direct. They book everything through the cruiselines or the hotels on SXM, per their website: [url]http://www.12metrechallenge.com[/url]

I booked through the ship. I don't believe you can book directly with them. Just make sure you book as soon as the excursion desk opens. You can book through the interactive menu on the TV in your cabin as well, but since it's a limited amount of people that can be accomodated, I would book ASAP. Sometimes the interactive menu is not up right away. You'll have a blast. I can't wait to do it again in October. Also, it doesn't tie up your whole day so if you get on early in the day there is still plenty of beach and shopping time left.

Archived