Hubbard - "they" got close, "we" didn't

trcori

In 2002 late August we were on the Summit in Alaska. We saw the glacier and the calving. It makes a loud crashing noise that could be heard a long ways. We saw sea otters, and other animals. It was the most awesome country I have ever seen or imagined. The ship rocked from the waves caused by the calving, not enough to scare, just enough to make us aware the power of the ice hitting the water. I honestly don't know how close we were, but whatever we saw I remember the majesty of the bay and the mountains. The cute otters lying on their backs with seaweed hanging off them is a memory I hope lasts a lifetime. If you get a chance to go to Alaska go, you won't be disappointed. Even if you can't get up close and personal with the glaciers.

Hi,

Another contributing factor to the inconsistency in '' close '' or ''not close enough'' is the fact every cruise ship picks up a local pilot before entering Yucatan Bay....HE has a say into how thet ship will manouver, depending if she's on time , early or late entering the bay, how the tides are behaving,the propulsion system of the specific ship, the current ice flow as at his boarding time, etc..etc....

It's a mixture of a whole lot of things that, within minutes and a few calvings, can change the profile of the sailing towards Hubbard.

Happy sailings

Cheers

;)

I took a B2B on Summit in May a couple of years ago. Going up was an overcast day and we did not get too close to the glacier. Pictures were disappointing.

On the return journey, however, conditions were optimum and we got up close and personal. My photos discern the different colors and textures of the glacier as well as its rough topography. Brilliant.

So yes, it has to depend on conditions. Same captain, same boat, a week apart.

love

joan

Hi there - reading this thread with interest and just wanted you all to know that the Serenade most definitely did not get close on all sailings so don't book RCCL just because a few trips made it close to Hubbard. The biggest disappointment of our cruise on June 2nd this year was only getting about 3 miles "close" to Hubbard, and after an hour or so the captain turned the ship around and left! There was ice everywhere, and I understand completely the safety issue, but it was very disappointing, and even more disappointing reading that it appears the last two or three sailings the Serenade captain had become quite to cowboy and is daring to get in super close - wish it had been us!!!!!!!!!!!!

This pic makes it look like you did not even enter the bay at all. In Sept 2005 on Summit the captain was really close. But a ship behind us did not even get to enter the bay. Not sure why everyone cannot have their chance

Were people clamoring for FULL REFUNDS over this? It looks like you got about as close to the glacier as we did on the Summit 5/7/06 cruise with pod problems. At the time, I made a big point to people that a wide variety of issues can play into whether or not you get close. I'm not quite sure why people would expect a refund for a mechanical problem but not one for the judgement of (perhaps) a timid captain... ;)

I think each pilot does his best. We were so close that when they did the 360 degree turn (twice) we felt like we could touch it from our deck. I just hope there is enough of Hubbard left for my grandkids to see when they go cruising.

hubbard-1.jpg

Archived