Passport Discount Booklet

JP7344

My wife and I were on the Rhapsody for the first time in 6/03 and we didn't know about passport book. A lot of the shops that we went to asked if we had it and apparently you recieved several free items. I was just wondering if anyone else gets the book and if it is really worth it?

We had a passport book for Alaska on our first cruise. The "free items" are nothing but pure JUNK. They are the type of things you would give to a young girl not yet in her teens but past being a toddler. They were the lousiest examples of jewelry you can find short of coming out of a cracker jack box.

For example, the color changing ring from Del Sol was a plastic butterfly. A pair of "emerald" earings was two small specks of green rock in posts so flimsy they broke the first time my wife tried to put them in her ears just for the fun of it. The discounts aren't really discounts. Ask for their best price, which they will give you gladly, agree to purchase AND THEN whip out that coupon to see their reaction. They won't want to honor it.

That book sends you to the highest priced stores to get free pieces of junk. Your time is better spent searching out the local stores that don't pay the advertising fee to be on RCI's recommended list. Yes, all those "recommended stores pay a bribe to be on that list. The ones that don't pay the bribe don't get promoted in the shore talk or on the ships list/map. The stores make up that "advertising" fee by handing it back to their customers.

The only thing of use was the shopping bag from Del Sol. It was actually worth the price of the book but I would never have purchased one on my own. So I still consider the book a complete waste of money unless you just happen to want one of those color changing shopping bags anyway. If not, you just got suckered.

Archived