From Calica to Cancun

I am going on the carnival imagination with my family in late august. I was wondering if any on the excursions offered by Carnival go to the beach in Cancun. Can I have some replies. Thanks.

Probably, but Cancun in an hour's trip each way -- that's quite a bite out of your shore day. There're lots of less touristy and high-quality beaches within minutes of the Calica port via taxi or rental car. Head for Playa del Carmen or Puerto Morales to the north, or Akumal, Puerto Aventuras or Tulum to the south.

Don't let the stories of 'gravel-pit' Calica port worry you. While they're true, the port is just a getting-off point. There's plenty to see and do in the near-immediate area.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with TNtraveler. If you want touristy atmosphere with great people watching bars and shopping and a good beach, take a taxi to Playa Del Carmen.

If you want a fantastic real Mexico beach, laid back and a fantatic $15 snorkle trip, take a taxi to Akumal.

Both are very close to Calica. Enjoy what time you have and there is no need to take a pricey shore excursion. Wanting to go to Cancun is asking for trouble in my opinion. Plus a big chunk of your time and money.

i booked an excursion from calica to cancun. would i do it again mostly not. it is an hour there and an hour back so 2 hours gone. the beach was breathtaking. there are lots of other places to see much closer. hope that helped

rikki

Archived