Millenium 7/12 sailing CANCELLED

flagger

absolutely! get on the phone with a travel agent and get a hotel tour package. Or a hotel and make the best of it. You got the cruise money back, plus you have a credit for another cruise to look forward too. You have your flights, just go! sometimes its these type of trips that turn out to be the most fun.

If there is no possible way to do this with the amount of money you paid for the cruise, i would be surprised. I am going to give it a sample try now and come back with some examples...........................

I totally agree!! Make lemonade out of these lemons and GO - like the poster said - fill in the cruise gap with a hotel/tour package and GO - you're probably halfway there with the flights, packing and vacation arrangements anyway....GO and have a great time! And when you get back, you have another cruise to look forward to in the (near) future!!:)

I have read with interest this thread and do feel so very sorry for those involved both onboard and those booked for the next cruise.

However, I must point out that I agree, it is imperative that insurance be taken out by anyone who is travelling whether by sea, air, foot or whatever in another country. It's a fact of life, things do happen, and it is you the individual who is responsible to cover yourself in the event something MAY happen to you that is not covered by anyone else but your insurance.

I think Celebrity has been very generous in ensuring that any negligence on their part has been more than adequately compensated. Which proves they have accepted responsibility for this incident.

Any airline would say 'sorry' go and talk to your Insurance company and would offer no compensation whatsoever other than maybe rebook you on another flight and cover hotel costs for one night should that be necessary, and that's only if you have already checked in for the flight and got your boarding pass.

Even if you miss, or are delayed on a flight causing you to miss your cruise altogether is not a worry to the airlines because it is your responsibility to ensure you cover all eventualities when you travel.

My comments may sound a little harsh, but in reality they are fact.

Good luck to all involved and I hope you enjoy many more cruises in the future. Don't let an incident like this put you off either the company, or cruising.

Jillybean

My wife and I were booked on the 7/12 Millie cruise with air purchased separately...As I had blocked off this two week vacation in my work schedule, it would be impossible to book a later cruise on Millie...However, the logistics would prove to be difficult as we fly into venive on 7/12 and depart on the 24th from barcelona as originally planned for Millie cruise...We decided to take the RCCL VOYAGER cruise on 7/14-7/21 out of Barcelona although the ports were not as favorable...still get to Rome, Cannes, Naples...but no Florence or Santorini/greece...However, we get two full days in Venice at nice Hotel...then fly to Barcelona on the 14th (PRICE NOT TOO UNREASONABLE 300 US FOR BOTH)..Then cruise for 1 week in Med...then 3 day stay in Barcelona resort hotel before departing back home on 7/24/07...Total cost for New cruise, air to Barcelona, Hotels in Venice/Barcelona approximately same as total cost of 12 day Millie cruise and we still have 6800.00 cruise credit on celebrity....so while we were obviously upset at the cancelling of our cruise we are looking forward to the extra time in Venice and Barcelona as well as our new RCCL MED Cruise....Have to try to make the best of every situation...we have been extremely appreciative of all the posts on cruise critic from those on board the 6/30 sailing as we were able to have contingency plans ....Norm M

My wife and I were booked on the 7/12 Millie cruise with air purchased separately...As I had blocked off this two week vacation in my work schedule, it would be impossible to book a later cruise on Millie...However, the logistics would prove to be difficult as we fly into venive on 7/12 and depart on the 24th from barcelona as originally planned for Millie cruise...We decided to take the RCCL VOYAGER cruise on 7/14-7/21 out of Barcelona although the ports were not as favorable...still get to Rome, Cannes, Naples...but no Florence or Santorini/greece...However, we get two full days in Venice at nice Hotel...then fly to Barcelona on the 14th (PRICE NOT TOO UNREASONABLE 300 US FOR BOTH)..Then cruise for 1 week in Med...then 3 day stay in Barcelona resort hotel before departing back home on 7/24/07...Total cost for New cruise, air to Barcelona, Hotels in Venice/Barcelona approximately same as total cost of 12 day Millie cruise and we still have 6800.00 cruise credit on celebrity....so while we were obviously upset at the cancelling of our cruise we are looking forward to the extra time in Venice and Barcelona as well as our new RCCL MED Cruise....Have to try to make the best of every situation...we have been extremely appreciative of all the posts on cruise critic from those on board the 6/30 sailing as we were able to have contingency plans ....Norm M

Nice job of making lemonade out of lemons, Norm M!! I hope you have a great trip!!

Enjoy,

AG

Well done, have fun, sounds like you are the type of people who will enjoy yourselves no matter what obstacles are put in front of you. A good attitude to have.

I would of loved to do a land based med tour but we booked our air through celebrity so it got canceled. We started to think we would do that but then we pulled out maps and hotels and it was just too much for us to do in such a short amount of time. I am looking at it as another 365 to look forward to our dream vacation!! I was getting worried about the letdown after the cruise was over!! Problem solved! And I might add that Barcelona Day Tours and Rome Cabs have been super awesome with giving back deposits etc. We are waiting to hear back from Vueling airlines for a one way from Barcelona to Paris we booked. We do have 4 Louvre tickets we aren't using that are good till April 08 if anyone wants to buy them from me!!! :p

• 1 month later...

I was one of those unfortunate passengers on the Millenium you are referring to. I think they have tried to be fair in their own eyes, but have yet to reimburse for travel to Venice from Civitavecchia, are not returning any of the costs of hotel or meals for the extra days while in Venice AND, they have tried to "return" the premium on the trip interruption insurance after the claims have been filed and without proper cancellation notice and say that they are reimbursing you already. Fortunately, I know a little about insurance and called the company and they have reopened the investigation. All this on our first cruise...shame! I did learn that I wont be using Celebrity Insurance anymore!!

Archived