16 Day Land Tour & Cruise on The Celebrity Summit Review

tapia

I’ll try and get pictures up this weekend. I realized when I sifted through pictures that it was going to take a long time to “weed” out the bad ones and go through the others. I just can't upload 2,500 pictures--that's crazy! Also, I’ll be uploading before any editing is done.

July 6th: Dock @ Vancouver

That morning we got up, ate at the buffet, and then sat on our balcony for a while just taking in the scenery. Once our steward said he needed the room, we left and went to the Concierge Lounge. This place was VERY stuffy and VERY small. It was hard to get in over people’s bags and to find seats. The theater, where a lot of the rest of the ship was, I heard was much better. Anyway, if you could I would try and get off as soon as possible. That means that when they give you the questionnaire; make sure to fill it out that you have plans. I did have plans and wanted to explore Vancouver, but I still got the “Independent Traveler #2 color.” It was not fun just sitting there. But, once our color was called and we got off the ship, it was VERY smooth getting our bags and getting a cab. They call people when they have cabs available and such—we had no wait and customs was a breeze.

So, once off the ship, I directed our cab driver to our Hotel. I booked on priceline in April and got the Pacific Palisades hotel. I read it was in a great location, but wasn’t that amazing a hotel (run down…). In my opinion, the hotel was fine. It was clean and the rooms were MUCH bigger than I expected. Once we got to the hotel, I dropped our bags with the Concierge (and got tickets for them) and we headed over to Stanley Park. We walked from the hotel and got a big lost once in the park trying to find the aquarium. I didn’t want to specifically book anything, so it was the most disorganized time of the trip. In retrospect, I wish I planned it better or booked with the trolley. The aquarium is nice and pretty small. The only thing I saw which I really haven’t seen anywhere else is the Beluga Whale. It was pretty interesting to see. Make sure you go during the show time, otherwise you really don’t see much. Otherwise, I could have lived without it. Also, so you know—from the hotel down Robson St. toward Stanley Park I could consider the “bad part” of town and the other direction from Robson St would be the “good part.” Sadly, we were so wiped out; we thought perhaps there was only the “bad part.” I wish we booked a tour than try to do this ourselves.

Anyway, after we went to Stanley Park, we chose to walk back to the hotel and said we’d just walk into a place for lunch. Since it was so hot outside, we just wanted A/C or to sit outside in the breeze. The 1st two places we walked into were so hot from the ovens, we just couldn’t stay. Finally, we tried a Greek pizza place (which I thought was interesting in itself) that was pretty close to our hotel. Now, I’m as surprised as the next person, but the food was SPECTACULAR! I’d recommend it if someone could find it. I got baked ziti and it was great. DF & DM shared a pineapple pizza & loved it as well.

Then we got back to our hotel and DM & I decided to see if anyone at the spa was available for reflexology. People were, so we booked and I got DH an appointment as well. It was OKAY. I wouldn’t go there again. It wasn’t real reflexology, it was just a foot massage, poolside. For a foot massage with screaming kids in the background, it was good. But, that’s not what I would be paying $75 for. Yeah, $75—it wasn’t worth it!

I had pre-booked the Zin restaurant at our hotel ahead of time and we headed there for dinner after relaxing a while. Dinner was good, but nothing compared to the rest of our trip. Also, since we were so wiped out at that point, I was just happy we didn’t have to go far to get there and there was no wait when we did arrive.

After dinner, we just collapsed in bed and watched TV a bit before turning in.

I'm getting sad my review is almost over. It's helping me re-experience the trip :-)

tapia, I'll be sad your review is over, as well. We are down to 38 days before we leave---what will I do without you?!! I guess I'll look at the photos . . . again and again.

Your Vancouver part made me glad we decided to go with the city tour booked by the cruiseline. I know it can be more expensive, but they've been doing it so long that they are efficient at it. Our flight is the same day we get off the ship, but not until 5pm, so it would have been a long wait. This way, someone takes care of our bags, drives us around, and we don't have to make any decisions. They'll drop us at the airport with a couple hours to spare before our flight. I know we'll be tired, a little sad, but ready to get home to our dogs and grove to see how they fared in our absence.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this review. I sincerely appreciate being able to live vicariously through your words.

Susie

I just heard about the pilot and two couples who died in an Alaskan sightseeing plane crash from their Princess cruise---let's start a prayer chain for their families. May God bless and comfort them in their sorrow.

I just heard about the pilot and two couples who died in an Alaskan sightseeing plane crash from their Princess cruise---let's start a prayer chain for their families. May God bless and comfort them in their sorrow.

I do feel horrible for them. My prayers go to their families as well.

Don and I have decided that we need to diet this month to make room for the cruise cuisine----we gained waaaay too much when we cruised to Mexico a few years ago, so we're going to try to start off thinner this time---I know my will power can't resist what these gourmet chefs present, so salad or soup nightly this last month before we go!:o

Don and I have decided that we need to diet this month to make room for the cruise cuisine----we gained waaaay too much when we cruised to Mexico a few years ago, so we're going to try to start off thinner this time---I know my will power can't resist what these gourmet chefs present, so salad or soup nightly this last month before we go!:o

I'm so with you there. I came back some pounds higher than when I left. Just too much good stuff to eat--at least I ate a lot of fish!

July 7th: Fly home non-stop to Newark

I noticed there was a crepe place outside our hotel and was all about having breakfast there. I love crepes and you just can’t get a good one in New York. YUM, boy oh boy it was good. Highly recommended.

Then we got a cab to the airport. Miraculously, we got through security and to our gate in record time. We were about 2 hours early, so we decided to walk around a bit and left DF with the bags. When I got to the airport I was surprised to see a sign that pointed to an aquarium. To all those who don’t know already, it’s just a fish tank. If you went to Stanley Park, don’t even bother. Not worth it. Since I was already in debt from giving my credit cards a workout the whole trip, I didn’t want to shop. Around lunch time, we decided to grab something from the food court and bring it back to DF and have lunch. Since he wasn’t allowed into the gate, he was sitting outside it when we left him there.

Just a quick note: Once you are in the gate area, you can’t come out. There are bathrooms and a vending machine in there, but that’s it. So, I wouldn’t go in until you know your flight isn’t delayed…

Sadly, our trip has come to an end. It has been great writing this review / journal, as I got to relive the experience. Any questions / comments I’d be happy to answer.

Some other quick notes before I completely end that I hope can help others.:

PACKING LIST:

Other:

I bought under armour (it’s like long underwear) for the trip because both me & DM get very very cold. It worked. Get some if you think you’ll need it!

I also got buzz off apparel (shirts) to wear in Katmai National Parks and didn’t get bitten. I recommend that as well. A lot of the guides were wearing them.

Gloves

Ear Covers

Waterproof Pants

My Columbia Waterproof jacket with a removable fleece lining. I got this from a guy I met through e-bay that sells discounted jackets, which he picks up at the outlet store. He can get most anything you want, which I loved. I got one for everyone going for the holidays last year.

Papers:Passports

Copy of Passport to keep either on me or in the safe

Cruise tickets

Alaska Documents / Lists

Alaska E-mails on Excursions & Confirmations

Alaska Insurance Copy

Journal & Pen to write things to not forget in

Front & Back Copies of the credit cards I’m bringing

Put a copy of the itinerary in each of the bags in case of a loss – it helps!

Medication / Cleaning Stuff

Clorox Wipes

Hand Sanitizer

PeptoBiz

Band-Aids

Kleenex

Sea sickness patch

Dramamine

Cough drops / Halls

Advil Liquid Gels

Medicated Chap Stick

Gum

Zinc Pills: Same as below

Airbourne: Take a few days before the trip & take daily

Toiletries / Personal Hygiene:

Insect Repellant: Deep Woods Off w/100% Deet

Sunblock

Face Sunblock

Travel Size Moisturizer & Cleanser

Travel Sized Lotions & Body Wash

Plastic Zip Loc Bags—many. Put some in camera case

Shampoo & Conditioner

Razors

Body lotion

Aloe Vera gel

Deodorant

Toothbrush/Toothpaste

Listerine

Dental floss

Hair Brush

Hair Ties

Make-up (minimal)

Jewelry: Watch, …

Glasses: Prescription Sun, Regular Sun, Regular

Contacts

Liners

Flat Iron

Perfume

Camera Stuff:

Camera Case w/ Camera & stuff

Lenses

Lens Cleaning Stuff

Battery Charger

Extra Batteries

Extra Memory Cards

IPOD with Camera Connection to download pictures: This worked out great for me b/c I took so many pictures. I could just download them to the IPOD and then I downloaded them again to my computer when I got home.

Extra headsets

IPOD Charger

Other:

Binoculars

Books & Magazines

Little Wallet Type Bag

Wallet

Purse

Cash to spend & for tips

Celebrity Credit Card

Cell Phone & Charger

Throw-a-way ponchos?

Fishing License

Sleeping Mask to block the light

Clothes Pins / Office Supply Binder Clips (to keep the light out)

Backpack

Insulated Mugs: use on the decks when looking out @ the glaciers & things

Umbrella (celebrity provides them on the ship, so bring only for lunch)

Duct Tape

Post-it notes

Ziploc bags

I hope to be posting pictures shortly.

Tapia,

Have really enjoyed your review!

But I do have two quick Q's:

1. Do you remember how the muster drill was handled? Was it at 8:30 or thereabouts on the day you sailed or was it the next morning?

2. Did you have a cruise critic gathering on your sailing and if so, when and where?

Thanks for your great review and your time! (Next time, you have definitely convinced me on the Brook Falls experience!) Looking forward to your pictures.

Thanks!

A couple answers

1. Muster was around 7:30/8 the first night. Actually, we went to the 6pm open seating and barely had enough time to run to our room to get the lifejackets before heading to it. I know that second seating was also delayed.

2. We didn't have a cruise critic gathering because there weren't enough people.

I'm glad, I LOVED Brooks! I will be posting pictures some time this weekend (at least that's the goal)

Hi Tapia,

I really, really enjoyed your review. I've been on 12 Alaska cruises and will be going on my 13th coming September 14th. Just can't get enough of this beautiful place....

And you're right about the AFT cabins - I won't book anything else....

I am not aware of the Concierge lounge though, where is it located. I've always gone to Michael's Club to await debarkation.

Thanks again - looking forward to your Pix.

ann

Thanks Tapia! Just what I needed. :)

PS: I still haven't given up thinking that someday I want to sit at YOUR table! Have so appreciated being along for your ride.

Awe, that's so nice. THANKS!!!

@ travelbug11: It wasn't actually a "lounge," although that's what it said on the paper. It was located in the Celebrity Cinema. I think it was #3.

I used to have Snapfish before I switched to flickr. Don't they have an option for you to email an invitation to someone to view your photos? If so, perhaps you could email it to yourself, then cut and paste the link in that email into a post on here . . . we'd be sure to let you know if it didn't work---we're all dying to see them!

Susie

I used to have Snapfish before I switched to flickr. Don't they have an option for you to email an invitation to someone to view your photos? If so, perhaps you could email it to yourself, then cut and paste the link in that email into a post on here . . . we'd be sure to let you know if it didn't work---we're all dying to see them!

Susie

Here's that link. My issue is that I think it's going to make you to log in to view the pictures. That's what I can't figure out how to take off. Any ideas?

http://www2.snapfish.com/shareereg/p=634301185821273209/l=290889892/g=101517204/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB/pns/share/p=634301185821273209/l=290889892/g=101517204/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

You're correct---when I went to the link it wanted me to sign in. Fortunately, I still remembered my sign in from when I used them, so I was able to get on the site---great photos! I loved the bears! Thanks for sharing!

I just wanted to followup with a couple of things regarding the trip. I bought some items from different places while in Alaska that the vendors shipped back directly. Now that I have received all the packages, I'll make some comments:

The Ulu Factory: The package was well wrapped and everything was great when I received it. It took about 2 weeks for the items to come.

The Ulu Place at the Anchorage Market in the right back hand corner: Everything was wrapped up SUPER-nice with bubble wrap and plastic wrap. It came in the same 2 1/2 weeks.

In Icy Strait point we decided to buy a picture of the Northern Lights from Southeast Artworks--they are directly in the main building. They also have a store in Juneau--8745 Glacier Hwy #109. DH & I decided to buy one of the pieces in the biggest size you can get. They didn't have that in the store, so they said they would ship it to us. This was the only big problem I had in anything I bought in Alaska. (DM also shipped many more things including Jewelry and never had any issue either.) The picture came in a cylinder (which was great). When I opened it up, you could EASILY see it was cut down to size with a scizzor. All the ends were frayed looking and it was VERY uneven. When you are paying that much for a picture, it should be perfect. I contacted the store owner and he directed me to contact the 'artist' directly because that's what he does all the time. No one could help and the owner only offered for me to ship it back and pay shipping both ways--then he would do a better job with a scizzor. So, watch out--you don't get what you pay for here!

In Vancouver we sent a package with all of our waterproof boots, our jackets, and a few other items so we wouldn't get charged extra in the airport. It was great. This took about 3 1/2 weeks from when we sent it for it to come.

Any questions, please let me know. If you're curious on the jewelry stuff, I'm sure DM has the names of the stores written down somewhere.

Archived