San Francisco International Airport

We will be flying into SF early in the morning and the pickup bus won't be by for a couple of hours. Is there a place where we can go to get a cup of coffee and breakfast? At most airports around here all the seats and food are in the secure area. I'm thinking once we pick up the luggage we won't be able to get back into the secured area. Thanks.

Cuisin Olies

I work at SFO, so I can give definitive answers... (btw, kudos to susie for the flysfo link)... BUT, I need to know on which airline you're flying...

While you're at it, you can ask me any security-related questions if you like, I work for TSA.

I'll be flying back to LAX from SF when the cruise ends. Will there be a possible problem flying with my insulin and the gel pack to keep it cool? I know the liquid will be okay, its the gel pack I'm not sure of at this airport and I'll need to keep it cool so I can inject. I'm flying United. Thanks for the offer.

Shirley

You are correct, once you leave the secure area to pick up your baggage, you are not permitted to re-enter the secure area unless you have a boarding pass for a flight that day.

Coffee and so-so breakfast is available at Peet's and Subway on the 3rd floor (mezzanine) above Terminal 3 United's ticket counters and baggage claim.

Full service breakfast and other food is available in International Terminal G's food court. It's a 5-minute walk from Terminal 3 and there is a wider selection of cuisine available. To get there, turn right as you're facing the street, and keep walking. You'll see signs to International Terminal G.

As for your ice packs, you may carry ice packs to cool your insulin as long as your insulin and other condition-related items (syringes, lancets, etc) have a prescription label with a name matching your identification. You may carry as much prescription medication and supplies in your carry-on baggage as needed for the duration of your air journey. Additional medication and supplies should be stored in checked baggage, if possible. Remember, the 3-1-1 rule is still in effect in regards to non-prescription liquids, gels, creams, pastes, lotions and aerosols.

Hope I've been helpful!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have two questions for you:

I travel with a jel ice pack for medical purposes and HAVE a doctor's note written on prescription pad.... In the past 6 years I have had a problem ONCE... According to the 1-800 # for TSA I should never have a had a problem with a medically necessary device WITH documentation. The TSA agent here would not look at my documentaion claiming that "It could be forged!!!':mad:

Is there any way to insure my gel pack goes with me so that I can have a relativily good flight?

What is the best way to bring back SEAFOOD!!!!! Crab, shrimp, fish? The desert just doesn't cut it with fresh seafood.

THANKS

Lili

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the late replies, y'all.

Grey: There isn't much open at that hour, but there are many museum-quality exhibits throughout the airport. Right now, there's a great Bay Area baseball exhibit in Terminal 1 near the International Terminal and a Looney Tunes animation exhibit in the International Terminal, G side near the BART station. A couple of hours can be whiled away looking at everything.

Jeangeorges: If the ice pack device can be easily removed, I suggest removing it and placing it through the x-ray machine. If the device is not very noticeable under your clothing and you do not set off the metal detector or otherwise become selected for additional screening, there's no need to make any mention of it. However, if additional screening is needed and the ice pack is still worn, or if it's difficult to remove without disrobing, ask for a private screening. You'll be taken to a private area where you can remove the ice pack and it can then be further inspected, tested or sent to x-ray to ensure it does not contain any threat.

Perishable food should be packed in a large, sturdy plastic cooler and checked as baggage for your flight. Be sure to use gel packs or dry ice (as long as dry ice does not exceed 5 lbs in quantity. Otherwise it's considered hazardous material). Do put your food in plastic bags and do secure them with tape or twist ties or something of the like. Lastly use tape to secure the cooler lid and prevent accidental opening. Good luck!

Apologies for the late replies, y'all.

Grey: There isn't much open at that hour, but there are many museum-quality exhibits throughout the airport. Right now, there's a great Bay Area baseball exhibit in Terminal 1 near the International Terminal and a Looney Tunes animation exhibit in the International Terminal, G side near the BART station. A couple of hours can be whiled away looking at everything.

quote]

Thanks!

Archived