NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Her name is IDA PARKER who is boss of credit services for BOA. She is on vacation til 8/10.

My $500 credit showed in under a week. It was attached to a letter to my TA but came to me. She told me to fill it out with her info & mail it in to a P O BOX. They got it in 2 days & sent me an email showing the new balance being billed toay to my MC.

A shame this happened to you since the USPS can misdeliver it & those folks shred it, not bring it to you. Try a call to IDA anyhow as she has to have a person doing her job while she is on a cruise.

I requested one $500 compass reward coupon in early July.. after 3 weeks passed with no coupon at my address I called again and they said they would cancel the original and research it-- then issue a 2nd one, I requested that they over nite it because I want to have it in place when my final payment is due mid august. They told me that they couldn't do it another way. I am supposed to get the new coupon in 2 weeks. Has anyone else had this problem? I have received before without any issues.

Does anyone have a contact NAME that I can call if this does not get resolved??

Thank you

Chris Mitchell

When you book cruise, air, transfers, and excursions through NCL. It comes as an NCL charge so you get 4 points per $100 or 4% of total. $500-$3000 for 500-3000 points can be used towards your NCL charge for the cruise. I do not believe it is for total charges for everything since the cert states CRUISE.

Can I use my NCL reward points to pay for airfare if I book it through NCL as an add-on to my cruise?

When you book cruise, air, transfers, and excursions through NCL. It comes as an NCL charge so you get 4 points per $100 or 4% of total. $500-$3000 for 500-3000 points can be used towards your NCL charge for the cruise. I do not believe it is for total charges for everything since the cert states CRUISE.

Is this from NCL, your experience, or just from reading? because what it says on the cert is not necessarily what they do(i.e. cert with final payment---we all know that isn't the way its handled)....

I would call NCL and ask....not BOA they haven't a clue.

ute fan...thank you for your post. I also have all my bills that will take a MC put the charges on my card automatically every month. Often times I thought that maybe I should be using the bill pay feature but that required some effort. So, I will continue to let all these bills pay themselves knowing that I am adding on the points for my next cruise. I also like to either make a minimum payment or schedule a payment when the bill posts just in case the payment date slips my mind. I went to pay my bill too close to the due date one time and had to pay a $12 fee to get it there on time because it was after 5PM. Gas company, mortgage, car payments and car insurance are just about the only bills I don't use the card for but they come out of my bank account automatically every month. I know the gas company charges for cc transactions but don't think I ever attempted to put the others on a card.

If someone is buying the air, cruise, excursions from NCL then they will bill to the NCL MC & you get 4% cashback points.. If it shows a TA charge or airline charge, then just 3% on that.

Is this from NCL, your experience, or just from reading? because what it says on the cert is not necessarily what they do(i.e. cert with final payment---we all know that isn't the way its handled)....

I would call NCL and ask....not BOA they haven't a clue.

If someone is buying the air, cruise, excursions from NCL then they will bill to the NCL MC & you get 4% cashback points.. If it shows a TA charge or airline charge, then just 3% on that.

This doesn't respond to what I asked at all. Let me see if I can ask again. Do you know for sure whether the air portion of what is billed by NCL for a cruise and air cannot be used by a rewards cert? Is this from your experience or from your reading of a cert. I am aware and didn't ask about the 4% credited for an NCL charge.

The 4% has nothing to do on what it says on the cert .

On the NCL MC statement it must show NCL as the party charging you, not a TA, airline or anyone else for the cruise. Norwegian Cruise Line will read as the party charging you. Then you earn the 4% points on the amount. This si cruise with or without air, for excursions, for onboard charges while on the cruise. All 4%. Then everyday charges are 3%. You get 500-3000 points for a $500-3000 credit. You call BOA for them to send you the cert which you fill out, make copies of & send into NCL P O Box. They deduct the amount so you pay $500-3000 less on billing date or see a $500-3000 credit if you paid the bill already. It is good only before you cruise.

Then as the cert reads. The Compass Rewards program comes from NCL. So you should read NCL program rules.

On the back side of the cert it reads " Use this certificate for an eligible discount in connection with cruise arrangemets booked by NCL, NCLA, Orient or Star Cruises." It also talks about cancellation of cruise by NCL & what they do.

On the NCL MC statement it must show NCL as the party charging you, not a TA, airline or anyone else for the cruise. Norwegian Cruise Line will read as the party charging you. Then you earn the 4% points on the amount. This si cruise with or without air, for excursions, for onboard charges while on the cruise. All 4%. Then everyday charges are 3%. You get 500-3000 points for a $500-3000 credit. You call BOA for them to send you the cert which you fill out, make copies of & send into NCL P O Box. They deduct the amount so you pay $500-3000 less on billing date or see a $500-3000 credit if you paid the bill already. It is good only before you cruise.

Then as the cert reads. The Compass Rewards program comes from NCL. So you should read NCL program rules.

On the back side of the cert it reads " Use this certificate for an eligible discount in connection with cruise arrangemets booked by NCL, NCLA, Orient or Star Cruises." It also talks about cancellation of cruise by NCL & what they do.

so the answer is no you have no personal experience have not talked to NCL about it but its your reading of the cert.

"cruise arrangements" could mean the air portion that ncl makes for you as part of your booking. Its is NOT so clear as to mean the cruise portion only...

NCL makes airline arrangements when you purchase NCL air. NCL is the charging party and its part of your booking.

Do I know for sure that you can use your cert for the airline portion if it is made by NCL...no but I would check with NCL first because I have been told before that the cert is just like cash and can be used for anything on the booking..but since I don't fly to where I take NCL I can't tell you or anyone esle for sure...but then neither can you....your reading of the cert really doesn't answer the question. What you have answered if the TA books your cruise through NCL and the air not through NCL you surely can't use the cert...but when its part of the booking you MAY be able to.

While your reading might make sense it not the only reading possible.

Thank you for not answering again as to whether your answer was based on personal experience.

As I said I know "the rule" about submitting the certs with final payment is routinely disregarded and that IS from personal experience....

but no I never booked air with NCL since CO is cheaper here in CLE. But if the air & cruise are booked together then NCL will be charging you for the total package so the cert will be against those charges.

Again be sure to read NCL's rules.

so the answer is no you have no personal experience have not talked to NCL about it but its your reading of the cert.

"cruise arrangements" could mean the air portion that ncl makes for you as part of your booking. Its is NOT so clear as to mean the cruise portion only...

NCL makes airline arrangements when you purchase NCL air. NCL is the charging party and its part of your booking.

Do I know for sure that you can use your cert for the airline portion if it is made by NCL...no but I would check with NCL first because I have been told before that the cert is just like cash and can be used for anything on the booking..but since I don't fly to where I take NCL I can't tell you or anyone esle for sure...but then neither can you....your reading of the cert really doesn't answer the question. What you have answered if the TA books your cruise through NCL and the air not through NCL you surely can't use the cert...but when its part of the booking you MAY be able to.

While your reading might make sense it not the only reading possible.

Thank you for not answering again as to whether your answer was based on personal experience.

As I said I know "the rule" about submitting the certs with final payment is routinely disregarded and that IS from personal experience....

I just completed my 15th cruise on NCL and my 22nd overall. I have saved $2,500 on my Bermuda cruise in May. I saved $2,000 each on 3 prior cruises.

The only way that I have done this is by getting multiplies of $500 credit voucher. Last cruise I called (and my wife on her separate account) and had 5 of the $500 certificates sent.(3 on my card and 2 on hers). I sent them to my travel agent who sent them in on my final payment.

You cannot get change if you overpay and you cannot apply them to taxes insurance etc.

The 3% credits are the best card deal I know if you like NCL.

I've read this from page 1 to the last and I can't find an answer to my question. Please help!

I have 2 $500 certificates to use on an upcoming cruise in November. The certificates are in my husband's name. We both sign on the account but he is not going on the cruise. I'm confused as to what to do. Do I sign the back of the cert as authorized signer....does he....can I use these certs for a cruise he's not going on...will NCL just credit our card? My final payment is due in a couple weeks and I need to figure out what to do!

Oops, I guess that's more than 1 question. As you can see I'm confused and a bit worried too because without the $1000 certificate I'm not sure I'll be going on the cruise.

Thanks for your help!!!

I've read this from page 1 to the last and I can't find an answer to my question. Please help!

I have 2 $500 certificates to use on an upcoming cruise in November. The certificates are in my husband's name. We both sign on the account but he is not going on the cruise. I'm confused as to what to do. Do I sign the back of the cert as authorized signer....does he....can I use these certs for a cruise he's not going on...will NCL just credit our card? My final payment is due in a couple weeks and I need to figure out what to do!

Oops, I guess that's more than 1 question. As you can see I'm confused and a bit worried too because without the $1000 certificate I'm not sure I'll be going on the cruise.

Thanks for your help!!!

You are going to find that the person named on the certificate must be in the cabin. That has been stated on CC many times (maybe not specifically in this thread).

PE

as I only needed 21 points for my $500 credit & by 6/18 I had them. But billing was to happen on 8/4 and BOA tells me I get no points til my statement is compiled on 7/16, then to pace away waiting for it to show here, them to fill out to mail to NCL to apply before 8/4.

A quick question about the points. Do they accrue on a Calendar month basis or a billing cycle basis? I do not want to go over the limit for the month and my billing ends on the 20th.

If his name is on them, and not yours, then he must be on the cruise. SO cancel if he can't go, to rebook to use them for one that he can, by the date on the cert.

Thanks for your help!!!

Well I was lucky that the call I made for the replacement coupons must have worked..got them on Saturday bout a week after the phone call so glad for THAT!! I can imagine your frustration with the phone merry go round it was what I feared I would be facing if they didnt make it in the mail this time around. In this age of delivery confirmation etc. I would have paid the price to have it sent that way with a way to trace.. glad to have them in HAND .. bout 5 days away from final payment.

thanks again for the info.. always great how helpful and supportive the fellow cruise critics r on this message board.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Our final payment for our NCL cruise is Sept. 21st.. We still haven't received our certificates in the mail yet. It has been about 8 days since I asked for them to mail our certificates. If I get the certificates after the final payment is it to late to apply them or would I still get credit. Please advise.

Our final payment for our NCL cruise is Sept. 21st.. We still haven't received our certificates in the mail yet. It has been about 8 days since I asked for them to mail our certificates. If I get the certificates after the final payment is it to late to apply them or would I still get credit. Please advise.

Its not a problem at all as long as they get them to them before you sail...

I haven't seen this question so....We were planning on paying our son's college tuition with the MC. We have the loan money, so we would then pay the MC bill, but the college wants to charge us 3%. Has anyone encountered this and is there a way around this 3% fee? It won't be worth it if we have to pay the fee.

I haven't seen this question so....We were planning on paying our son's college tuition with the MC. We have the loan money, so we would then pay the MC bill, but the college wants to charge us 3%. Has anyone encountered this and is there a way around this 3% fee? It won't be worth it if we have to pay the fee.

they are free to charge a convenience fee to use the credit card. Is it worth it to pay 3% to get 3% as a credit on the card. Not for me.

Maybe i am not thinking this through. To get the 500 credit on your cruise, does the cruise have to be charged on your NCL Mastercard.

For instance, an online agency is offering an OBC if you book the cruise with an American Express card. If i send in the $500 cert, do i still get the credit?

Even if it is after final payment, would they apply the credit to the NCL Card even though the cruise isnt booked on there?

I am thinking yes. But i am still a bit confused.

Maybe i am not thinking this through. To get the 500 credit on your cruise, does the cruise have to be charged on your NCL Mastercard.

For instance, an online agency is offering an OBC if you book the cruise with an American Express card. If i send in the $500 cert, do i still get the credit?

Even if it is after final payment, would they apply the credit to the NCL Card even though the cruise isnt booked on there?

I am thinking yes. But i am still a bit confused.

yes its not the card you use for the cruise that counts.