NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

As I check this thread every day or two, I have to wonder if NCL will decide to cancel this deal someday because it's such a great deal! I also wonder if the current financial crisis will affect BOA in a bad way. :eek:

So my questions is, I will have 2500 points (after next statement) - 1500 on one and 1000 on the other. We have a cruise booked for December 2009. Should I go ahead and get my certs just to be safe??? :confused:

As I check this thread every day or two, I have to wonder if NCL will decide to cancel this deal someday because it's such a great deal! I also wonder if the current financial crisis will affect BOA in a bad way. :eek:

So my questions is, I will have 2500 points (after next statement) - 1500 on one and 1000 on the other. We have a cruise booked for December 2009. Should I go ahead and get my certs just to be safe??? :confused:

I can't imagine that they would end the program with no notice at all. Usually when this kind of thing happens, they decide to end the deal as of a certain date, then give you x amount of time to redeem points and redeem certificates. This has happened to me before on a different cruise card. Redeeming your points now might be a little risky, because the certificates are only good for a year after you request them. That means they'd expire by the end of October '09. So if anything happened that would change your cruise in december '09, and you couldn't use them on another, you may be at risk of losing the value of those certificates.

Nope - I'd wait until we got a notice that the sky was falling before I would do anything drastic. Over-reaction is our enemy in times like these.

Let's just hope that BoA is able to ride thru the tempest.

Keep in mind the certs expire after a year. Don't cash them in until you're less than a year from your cruise.

Alwaysingin: As stated on the certificate "Your sailing must take place BEFORE the expiration date of this certificate" which is dated exactly one year from the time I requested them. Don't panic. They can't just stop a program without a notice and a chance for people to cash in.

Thanks! I know you're right, it's just a little nerve racking! :eek:

I definitely wouldn't send them in for final payment. We've changed this cruise date several times (booked on board our last NCL cruise!), and don't anticipate changing it again as we were waiting for the Dec '09 cruises to come out. If anything, we might do an additional cruise BEFORE that one. :)

I'll probably just keep a close eye on these boards, BoA and the news in general, holding out until at least the first of the year.

Just received a letter from BOA this morning. It looks like the compass rewards program is in fact coming to an end.

:eek:

Can you expand on what the letter specifically states?

That will really suck if true!

Did you get an actual letter, or was it an insert in the statement/bill? I'm wondering if I will get a letter in the mail or if I have to rummage thru the paper recycling to see if I threw an insert away.

Ah, jeez.....

Did you get an actual letter, or was it an insert in the statement/bill? I'm wondering if I will get a letter in the mail or if I have to rummage thru the paper recycling to see if I threw an insert away.

Ah, jeez.....

It's an actual letter I just received this morning. I started a thread on the main board and copied much of what the letter states:

When your Compass Rewards program ends you will automatcally become enrolled in the NCL Worldpoints program. The NCL Worldpoints program is a flexible and unique rewards program till providing you great rewards options plus a wide array of other travel, merchandise and retail gift card rewards. In addition you will have access to new exclusive NCL rewards and offers available only to cardholders. As an added bonus, you will receive double points for purchases made directly through NCL.

As of January 1, 2009, your Norwegian Cruise Line Compass Rewards credit card will automatically be converted to the NCL Worldpoints program. Transactions made after your December 2008 statement closing date will not earn points towards the Compass Rewards program. You will receive Compass Rewards Certificates for your remaining points balance by January, 31, 2009.

Redeem your points for exclusive NCL rewards, such as cruises, upgrades, on board credit and exclusive onboard experiences, plus cash back, travel with no black out dates, car rental and hotel rewards, brand new merchandise, or gift certificates.

No limit to the number of points you can earn each year.

Any questions regarding changes call 1-800-421-2110

I haven't received my letter yet, but I just had this gut feeling...

Does anyone have a certificate in hand? Our next NCL cruise is booked for December 2009. Do the certificates specifically state that they must be used on a cruise taking place within a year, or used as payment for a cruise within a year? :confused:

I don't want to call and get them too soon, but I don't want to wait too late and miss out.

I haven't received my letter yet, but I just had this gut feeling...

Does anyone have a certificate in hand? Our next NCL cruise is booked for December 2009. Do the certificates specifically state that they must be used on a cruise taking place within a year, or used as payment for a cruise within a year? :confused:

I don't want to call and get them too soon, but I don't want to wait too late and miss out.

Yes. The certificate has a one year expiration date from the time you ask for it in which you are required to sail within that time. If you receive your certificate in Jan. of '09, you should be fine.

New to this.

Do you lose points or just not earn after your hit 1000 in 12 months?

Also, the offer today is to sign up and get 25 points free with first qualifying purchase. I would have to read the fine print on "qualifying" but is that a deal. I am cruising in December and it's all paid for but would use the card for my end of cruise tab. Just wondering if signing up on the day of the cruise gives me something better?

From experience, you don't lose points after earning 1,000 in 12 months, you just don't earn any more until after the 12 months. Although, I just received a notice from Bank of America that the compass rewards is ending the end of this year and it will be a new program. I called BOA and the rep said more detailed info will be mailed in November.

looks like our current points will be converted automatically. But I be the return will suck. Carnival did the same thing when they switched the to the Seamiles program. THats when we bailed and came to NCL. CRAP!@#!@#%

The letter actually states that you will receive Compass Rewards certificates in January '09 for the points that you have. Doesn't look like they roll over into the new program.

I just got my letter, called Bank of America and the rep said that any points that are earned by the end of this year will be mailed as a reward certificate in January and the new "world points" will start fresh Jan 1st. Because it seems like we'll earn more points with the new program (1 dollar spent = 1 point), I want to know if that means we'll need more than 500 points to receive $500 off of a cruise. The rep did not have that information, he said that more info will be mailed in November. All he did say was that the new program will allow us to use the points for more than just money off a cruise or a category upgrade. I am going to be on the Gem the end of January and it would be great (although highly doubtful) if the compass reward certificate that I receive can be used towards the room charges that will incur while on the cruise, just because of the end of the compass rewards program.

Robin

Just got my letter...too upset to call. Does anyone know if the certificates issued after Dec will have to be in $500 amounts? If I'm part way to another certificate will they send me that extra $200 or $300? I guess nobody wants us to have too much of a good thing. :mad:

I went to the Bank of America site and logged into my NCL charge card account. On the first page of the account, at the bottom left is a link to the program. It seems to be FAQ from NCL, not really a lot of detail. I also received the letter today. Although I can bring my total points to value in time, I was planning on using them in the end of january 2010. I feel if they don't extend the certificates a little for folks, since no one expected this, and they expire in 12 months, we may get screwed come the 1st of january 2010.

OK...Online chat got me to the rewards part. I copied this chart...I think we need to contact NCL and ask for another Bank?

How far will your points take you?

5,000 = $25 check

12,000 = $100 Gift Card

25,000 = $250 off the cruise of your choice

10,000 = $100 shipboard credit on the cruise of your choice

15,000 = Two Tickets to attend Smucker's® Stars on Ice®

25,000 = Fly anywhere in the continental 48 states

OK...Online chat got me to the rewards part. I copied this chart...I think we need to contact NCL and ask for another Bank?

How far will your points take you?

5,000 = $25 check

12,000 = $100 Gift Card

25,000 = $250 off the cruise of your choice

10,000 = $100 shipboard credit on the cruise of your choice

15,000 = Two Tickets to attend Smucker's® Stars on Ice®

25,000 = Fly anywhere in the continental 48 states

Now I feel so much better. Instead of a $500 coupon I can go watch smuckers stars on ice. :)

And you can spend $50,000 instead of $16,666 or less to get $500. :mad: However, if you spend $25,000 to NCL you will get double points and 2 $250 certificates....what's wrong with this picture? :eek: