NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

I talked to someone last night at BOA and they told me it will be $100 upgrade certs. It isn't worth much when you can only use one on a cruise and they send you more than one. I am disappointed. I am thinking of saying goodbye to using my card since I cannot and earn 300 points before the end of the year. I can't stick that much on gift cards.

This may be totally off the wall, but can you purchase the gift cards (or whatever), hold on to them until the World Points program starts and then return them? Wouldn't you still get the points on the BOA program?

I don't even know if gift cards can be returned. Anyone?

Gift cards are generally non-refundable. If you are close to the next $500 certificate, I would get gas or grocery cards that you know you will use and that do not charge a fee.

One hint for desperation point earning - my brother (a CPA) reminded me that you can prepay on your 2008 IRS tax liability using a credit card. There is a small fee to do this, but its an easy way to get up to the monthly limit of 250 points if needed.

I talked to someone last night at BOA and they told me it will be $100 upgrade certs. It isn't worth much when you can only use one on a cruise and they send you more than one. I am disappointed. I am thinking of saying goodbye to using my card since I cannot and earn 300 points before the end of the year. I can't stick that much on gift cards.

Take a look at this http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/?action=directShip. You can buy $1 coins for face value and they have no shipping. After you receive the coins, take them to your bank and deposit them into your account. Then pay your BoA bill with the deposited coins. All you're left with is NCL BoA points. :D

Take a look at this http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/?action=directShip. You can buy $1 coins for face value and they have no shipping. After you receive the coins, take them to your bank and deposit them into your account. Then pay your BoA bill with the deposited coins. All you're left with is NCL BoA points. :D

Are these insured when being shipped????

I'm not actually sure. I haven't received my order yet. In the FAQ's they do have a form that can be filled out if the order is not received/complete.

Well... I am a bit concerned about ordering $2,500 ($500 per available coin) in coins if they are not insured. Perhaps I will call and ask about insurance... unless anyone here knows....

Also, it says there is a limit per coin. Do you know if this limit is per order or a lifetime imit - in other words can you order one month and then order again the next month, even if you are ordering some of the same coins?

Well... I am a bit concerned about ordering $2,500 ($500 per available coin) in coins if they are not insured. Perhaps I will call and ask about insurance... unless anyone here knows....

Also, it says there is a limit per coin. Do you know if this limit is per order or a lifetime imit - in other words can you order one month and then order again the next month, even if you are ordering some of the same coins?

My second order of $2,500 in coins are on the way. You can order two (2) $250 orders of each presidential coin. There are currently five presidents available so if you order two orders of each, you'll get $2,500 in coins.

As for insurance, I'm not sure -- they were delivered via UPS and there is a form on the website you can use if there is a problem with the order. When my last order was delivered, the UPS driver simply threw the boxes up on the porch and drove off!:eek: Luckily, you can track the package and know when it's going to be delivered so DW took off work to be there when the coins were delivered (2,500 coins in two boxes are HEAVY!). For the order I placed this past weekend, I'm having the coins sent to my workplace so I don't have to worry about them just sitting on my porch unguarded.

The boxes are plain brown and there is no way anyone could guess what's inside (they don't say "Here are the many, many $1 coins you ordered!").

The only problem you may encounter is the looks you'll get from the tellers when you take them to the bank for deposit!;) I plan to use a different branch for my current order and then other branches for subsequent orders.

Sea Hound:D <-- I love me my presidential coins!

I've read elsewhere that there is a two box limit per president (shipped/billed to the same person). Many have said they get around that by ordering the max and have them shipped to home. Then they repeat the order and have them shipped to spouse at work and charged to a different card.

I have just over 1000 points on my BOA MC. I want to cash them in for 2 $500. certificates. I was planning on doing this the first part of december. Now, my question is this, can I wait until feb. or march to use the certificates (to apply them to a cruise)? I do have the NCL Dawn booked for the 5/17/09 sailing, but just found out our BIL & SIL may have to cancel. If so, we may do a different NCL sailing, and don't want to apply the certificates until we are sure we are going.

If I redeem the 2 $500. certificates in dec. will I have up to 12 months to apply them?

Thanks all! I tried to read through some of these posts, but there was so much information.

I certainly can't afford to spend what it would take to earn me 500 points by the end of the year. I'm basically planning to shift to a new card soon, just not rushing into applying for another credit card.

I thought many banks started charging to accept coins, sometimes a percentage of the value. I think people should check with their bank before running off and doing this.

Banks don't seem like any volume of loose coins that have to be counted, and these days you can't trust people handing you pre-rolled coins, they often contain the incorrect number of coins or lesser value coins in the middle of the roll.

I certainly can't afford to spend what it would take to earn me 500 points by the end of the year. I'm basically planning to shift to a new card soon, just not rushing into applying for another credit card.

I thought many banks started charging to accept coins, sometimes a percentage of the value. I think people should check with their bank before running off and doing this.

Banks don't seem like any volume of loose coins that have to be counted, and these days you can't trust people handing you pre-rolled coins, they often contain the incorrect number of coins or lesser value coins in the middle of the roll.

I see your concern and would also advise checking with your bank.

I didn't unroll the coins after they arrived. They were still in the wrappers from the U.S. Mint. My bank doesn't charge a fee for depositing coins and will, if they find an error in coins I roll, deduct it from my account.

Sea Hound:D

I have just over 1000 points on my BOA MC. I want to cash them in for 2 $500. certificates. I was planning on doing this the first part of december. Now, my question is this, can I wait until feb. or march to use the certificates (to apply them to a cruise)? I do have the NCL Dawn booked for the 5/17/09 sailing, but just found out our BIL & SIL may have to cancel. If so, we may do a different NCL sailing, and don't want to apply the certificates until we are sure we are going.

If I redeem the 2 $500. certificates in dec. will I have up to 12 months to apply them?

Thanks all! I tried to read through some of these posts, but there was so much information.

What happens to my Compass Rewards?

NCL is ending the Compass Reward program and as stated in the program terms and conditions, you will be issued a Compass Reward certificate(s) based on your December 31, 2008 point balance. Your final certificate(s) will arrive by mail on or before January 31, 2009. You will have one year from date of issue to apply the certificates to a booking, but you will be able to use them towards any NCL cruise before January 31, 2011. Compass Rewards points will not be transferred to the WorldPoints program.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CompassRewardsFAQ#NeedToGetCert

Anyone know if all the certificates that are issued from now on will be good through Jan 31, 2011? Or do we need to wait for them to be automatically issued and sent in Jan to get that expiration date?

I do not KNOW, but I would guess that anything issued before January 1 would have the normal one year expiration date, and anything issued in January 2009 would have the two year expiration date. You can call BOA, but I would call several people and make sure you get the same answer.

I do not KNOW, but I would guess that anything issued before January 1 would have the normal one year expiration date, and anything issued in January 2009 would have the two year expiration date. You can call BOA, but I would call several people and make sure you get the same answer.

Yeah, I would think the same thing. But I thought that maybe someone here would know. I trust ones here more than I do anyone that I've ever talked to at BoA. :)

Me too. I'm going to earn my last 500-point certificate and then be saying goodbye to my relationship with Bank of America. And sorry NCL, you're going to be losing most of my business as well.

BobK/Orlando

Looks like we'll be moving on, too. In a very odd sort of way it's a relief. I really like some other cruise lines and have wanted to go back to them or try new ones, but with the Compass Rewards, I could never justify the cost and thus kept booking with NCL. Now I'm finally free to go elsewhere! :rolleyes:

I've read some of the posts on here... but not all by any stretch.... so forgive me if this has been answered in detail already. I'll have $1100 points or so when the card closes. I'm booked in an AF suite for my next cruise. So, is the $100 "reward" best used for fire-starter on a cold night? My mom is also booked on this cruise in a BB. Could I add her as an authorized user and get some good out of it this way?

Me too. I'm going to earn my last 500-point certificate and then be saying goodbye to my relationship with Bank of America. And sorry NCL, you're going to be losing most of my business as well.

BobK/Orlando

Yea.... I am hanging onto the card through the end of the year. I have 419 Compass Points and am trying to figure out if I can get to 1,000 by December 31 (son in college, so this is not a stretch) and then will probably get a different card (or two if one is American Express), and will also look at different cruise lines. We have mainly sailed with NCL because of the Compass Points program. There are several other cruiselines that sail out of NY/NJ/Philly - YEAH PHILLIES!

Yea.... I am hanging onto the card through the end of the year. I have 419 Compass Points and am trying to figure out if I can get to 1,000 by December 31 (son in college, so this is not a stretch) and then will probably get a different card (or two if one is American Express), and will also look at different cruise lines. We have mainly sailed with NCL because of the Compass Points program. There are several other cruiselines that sail out of NY/NJ/Philly - YEAH PHILLIES!

you can't the maximum you can earn per month/cycle is $250 points...

you can't the maximum you can earn per month/cycle is $250 points...

Yes I can! My cut off is the middle of each month, so if I earn 250 each month, I can still earn up to 250 the last half of December (the last cycle is not prorated) so it can be done, if I pay the tuition for spring in increments ahead of time.

Yes I can! My cut off is the middle of each month, so if I earn 250 each month, I can still earn up to 250 the last half of December (the last cycle is not prorated) so it can be done, if I pay the tuition for spring in increments ahead of time.

FWIW, I too will squeeze another $500 certificate out of the program between mid November and December 31. It can be done.

My anniversary year renews November 12th, thus as soon as the 12th statement closes, I'll start using the card again and will put $8,317 in charges on it from 11/13-12/12 to get the first $250, and then another $8,317 from 12/13-12/31 to get the second $250 and 1 last $500 certificate!

When all is said and done, that last certificate will take my lifetime rewards in the program to $16k over 4 years! :D

Man I'm going to miss this program!