NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

I tried to apply this morning and got a message that the offer had been withdrawn and to select another card.

Wow! All that research and now we have to start from scratch again! Maybe by the end of the year, all the cc companies, with have the same poor return offers.... Did you try to apply online, or over the phone. I am bummed..... Oh well. The search goes on for a good MasterCard/Visa that either gives good rewards on our choice of cruise lines/dpartures, or else a really good cash back card.....

Anyone????

Question: Say a cruise costs $959 and I put down the required deposit of $250. I now owe $709. If I send in two Compass Certificates at $500 each, I know they will credit me $959 and I forfeit the $41 (no problem).

But, if I pay the deposit with the NCL deposit from a previous cruise {(pay $250 now for a future cruise, get $100 OBC today) sorry I forgot what that is called} Anyway, so now I make the deposit with my $250 "coupon" and I owe $709. When I send in my two Compass Certs will I get the full $959 credited back to me or do they only credit the $709 since that is what I 'paid'? Or do they credit $859 (which is $709 plus the $150 net charge I paid on the first cruise??)

Sorry, I hope this isn't too confusing. My actual scenario is more complicated but this is the simplest way for me to ask:)

ONE MORE QUESTION: Does the Compass Cert count against the fuel supplement?

For any replies, please indicate if it is your educated guess or personal experience. :):D

From personal experience, I know you can pay for cruise insurance and transfers between the airport and the ship with the excess money from the certificates. I'm not sure about the scenerio in the second paragraph.

Edited by Natasha487

I tried to apply this morning and got a message that the offer had been withdrawn and to select another card.

Sorry I should of read all the posts before making a post.:o

I'm following this thread to see which card I'm going to go with. :D

Merchants are not allowed to add surcharges for payments by credit card, nor can they require minimum or maximum charge amounts. All cc companies have verbiage stating such in their Merchant Agreements. For MasterCard go to http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/support/rules.html click on MasterCard Rules pdf and see page 125.

I bet that if you send your cc payment along with a copy of this rule to your son's college billing dept AND legal dept, they will gladly take your cc payment. Maybe pre-pay the next semester too? :)

I agree!!!

Question: Say a cruise costs $959 and I put down the required deposit of $250. I now owe $709. If I send in two Compass Certificates at $500 each, I know they will credit me $959 and I forfeit the $41 (no problem).

But, if I pay the deposit with the NCL deposit from a previous cruise {(pay $250 now for a future cruise, get $100 OBC today) sorry I forgot what that is called} Anyway, so now I make the deposit with my $250 "coupon" and I owe $709. When I send in my two Compass Certs will I get the full $959 credited back to me or do they only credit the $709 since that is what I 'paid'? Or do they credit $859 (which is $709 plus the $150 net charge I paid on the first cruise??)

Sorry, I hope this isn't too confusing. My actual scenario is more complicated but this is the simplest way for me to ask:)

ONE MORE QUESTION: Does the Compass Cert count against the fuel supplement?

For any replies, please indicate if it is your educated guess or personal experience. :):D

It can be used as a deposit on a cruise or in conjunction with the $250 future cruise deposit. I spoke to someone yesterday from the Credit Card and they could not assure me that if i had remaining $ from the $500 that it would be put on the onboard credit area.

According to them we can only use $1000 a year from the $500 certificates that they send us. Also only 250 points can be accumulated in one month. So if we try to make that 500 points to complete our next $500 certificate they will only allow us upto 250 points. So example i have 648 points. I requested them to send me one $500 certificate leaving me with 148 points. I was contemplating charging the reset of my open cruise $ to try and get another $500. She said i cant do that since only 250 points can be accumulated in one month leaving me with a new total of 398, not enough to get my certificate.

It can be used as a deposit on a cruise or in conjunction with the $250 future cruise deposit. I spoke to someone yesterday from the Credit Card and they could not assure me that if i had remaining $ from the $500 that it would be put on the onboard credit area.

According to them we can only use $1000 a year from the $500 certificates that they send us. Also only 250 points can be accumulated in one month. So if we try to make that 500 points to complete our next $500 certificate they will only allow us upto 250 points. So example i have 648 points. I requested them to send me one $500 certificate leaving me with 148 points. I was contemplating charging the reset of my open cruise $ to try and get another $500. She said i cant do that since only 250 points can be accumulated in one month leaving me with a new total of 398, not enough to get my certificate.

First of all you can only EARN 1,000 point in your anniversary year (not calendar year), but you can use up to 3,000 at a time. I personally used 3,000 on one cruise last year and another 1,500 on one cruise this year. So that info was not accurate.

Also, if you have 648 points now, and your billing cutoff is mid- month, and you get to the max 250 points for that month by mid-December, you will need an additional 102 points to get the next certificate. Since you can earn these points through the end of the year, you definitelly could earn those additional points. I would have everything you need charged by one week before the end of the year to make sure things have posted to your account, and don't make any returns (if you have any holiday purchases that have to go back) until after the new year. I am actually in the exact same situation, with 643 points right now, and on my way to picking up another 250 mid December. Now if your billing cycle ends at the end of the month or anytime after the 24th of the month, It may be difficult to get those last point you need.

Good luck!

First of all you can only EARN 1,000 point in your anniversary year (not calendar year), but you can use up to 3,000 at a time. I personally used 3,000 on one cruise last year and another 1,500 on one cruise this year. So that info was not accurate.

Also, if you have 648 points now, and your billing cutoff is mid- month, and you get to the max 250 points for that month by mid-December, you will need an additional 102 points to get the next certificate. Since you can earn these points through the end of the year, you definitelly could earn those additional points. I would have everything you need charged by one week before the end of the year to make sure things have posted to your account, and don't make any returns (if you have any holiday purchases that have to go back) until after the new year. I am actually in the exact same situation, with 643 points right now, and on my way to picking up another 250 mid December. Now if your billing cycle ends at the end of the month or anytime after the 24th of the month, It may be difficult to get those last point you need.

Good luck!

I cant recall when my billing period ends, but i do know that it was this past week so probably 17th 18th 19th?

So should i find out when my anniversary year is ?

This year i already used a $500 certificate and yesterday i requested another $500 to be sent to me. I can easily manage to rack up the rest of the points by end of December, so do you suggest I charge the max they allow to get 250 points by end of cut off say the 19th if thats the date, and then bill the remainder after that? But making sure its all put in before the Dec 31st cut off?

I cant recall when my billing period ends, but i do know that it was this past week so probably 17th 18th 19th?

So should i find out when my anniversary year is ?

This year i already used a $500 certificate and yesterday i requested another $500 to be sent to me. I can easily manage to rack up the rest of the points by end of December, so do you suggest I charge the max they allow to get 250 points by end of cut off say the 19th if thats the date, and then bill the remainder after that? But making sure its all put in before the Dec 31st cut off?

That is what many of us on this board are doing, and hopefully it will all be worth it. Some of us have ordered the coins (see above). Keep in mind that some things take several days to post to your account, and in the case of the coins, they should be ordered at the very beginning of your billing cycle, because they do not prrepare them for shipping or charge your account for several days and then you need to get them to the bank for deposit. All charging that you need for the end of December should be done by December 23/24 in my opinion, or those charges may not show up in time for you to get credit. You will need to charge about 8,400 in this billing cycle, and then if you do that, and additional $3,500 (or a little less is some of this is NCL charges), the latter part of December, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW, IS WHEN YOUR ANNIVERSARY DATE OR CUTOFF FOR THE YEAR IS, SINCE AFTER THAT DATE, YOU CANNOT EARN ANYMORE FOR THE YEAR ONCE YOU HAVE EARNED 1,000 POINTS. THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELL YOU THAT DATE, IF YOU ARE UNSURE. FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOUR ANNIVERSARY DATE FOR THE CALENDAR YEAR WAS IN FEBRUARY, AND YOU HAVE EARNED 1,000 POINTS SINCE THEN, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO EARN ANY MORE POINTS!!!! THERE IS ALSO NO GUARANTEE THAT ANYTHING PAID TO NCL ON YOUR CC WILL BE CRDITED BACK TO YOU AFTER YOU SEND IN THE CERTIFICATES, EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE ALWAYS DONE THIS IN THE PAST.

I ordered our first batch of $2,000 in coins today - there is a $4.95 shipping fee but that's not bad considering the weight. We are nearly at 250 for the month, so I'll order another $2,000 after 12/10. I also intend to pay some on our future NCL cruise and buy a Sam's card to make up the difference to get to our next 500 Compass Rewards certificate.

BTW - DH thought the coins could be a scam but I assured him several wonderful people on CC said they'd purchased then and didn't have a problem.

I ordered our first batch of $2,000 in coins today - there is a $4.95 shipping fee but that's not bad considering the weight. We are nearly at 250 for the month, so I'll order another $2,000 after 12/10. I also intend to pay some on our future NCL cruise and buy a Sam's card to make up the difference to get to our next 500 Compass Rewards certificate.

BTW - DH thought the coins could be a scam but I assured him several wonderful people on CC said they'd purchased then and didn't have a problem.

I think you can only order the coins once (limit of $500 per president). We ordered $3,000 at once, which are still being processed, one week later. We payed for expidited shipping, which was $12.95, because I thought I would feel better getting them in the bank faster.

Merchants are not legally allowed to tack any fee on and *call* it a fee for paying w/cc other than when accepting a foreign payment and charging the currency conversion fee back to the one making the payment.

Merchants, municipalities, etc., *can* impose a fee and call it something like a 'convenience fee'. For instance, I can pay my property tax bill online using my card, and will pay a 3% 'convenience fee' for having done so. If I walk into the courthouse and pay with cash or check, there is no convenience fee.

Agreed. I'm just one to cut through semantics, call it a convenience fee - whatever - it's still the same. It's a fee imposed for using a credit card regardless.

I purchased the coins also. I saw the shipping fee and then on the final page it went away so it would appear I wasn't charged. We'll see what happens. I don't understand why it takes so long to process the order. Do they have to go and mine the silver? ;)

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells oops I got carried away a little bit.

Happy Thanks Giving!

John

In the winter with charges over $100 for natural gas for heating, Dominion East Ohio Gas has always charged $5.95 to process credit card payments same with Official Payments who process property taxes for Cuyahoga County. This has been going on for over 10 years & they have never been told they cannot do that.

I agree!!!

We got 250 points & have shredded our cards. As I told my friend, a Supervisor at B of A that an upgrade is useless since we purchase a BVA AFT cabin and cannot upgrade to a mini suite which is a balcony stateroom since it is in the suite area without the suite perks So he stated he would have them do that on 12/17 since I am a -0- balance as of 11/17. No need to charge more to get -0- for them since 500 will not happen.

I would have everything you need charged by one week before the end of the year to make sure things have posted to your account, and don't make any returns (if you have any holiday purchases that have to go back) until after the new year.

This brings up an interesting point.....or interesting idea, especially for those of you ordering all those coins and then taking them to the bank.

What's to keep any of us from just buying a $1000 item or $2000 item or whatever you need to get you to the next $500 coupon level, in December, and then returning the item to the store for a full refund back to the credit card in January? (after receiving the coupon, of course!)

BobK/Orlando

I've only had the card since August and am charging away like mad to get the 1000 points before year-end. My billing date in December is the 10th, so if I understand this right, if I can charge $8334 between Dec. 10th and 31st, I'll still get the 250 points, right? And I know not to cut it too close to the 31st due to posting time.

So here's my question: if I use the NCL MC to purchase OBC for my February cruise (and get the 1% bonus points), does anyone know if that will post now, or not until February, in which case it's worth nothing to me as points?

And part II: I booked thru an online TA. Can I call NCL direct to purchase OBC, or do I have to go thru the TA?

Thanks in advance. :)

I've only had the card since August and am charging away like mad to get the 1000 points before year-end. My billing date in December is the 10th, so if I understand this right, if I can charge $8334 between Dec. 10th and 31st, I'll still get the 250 points, right? And I know not to cut it too close to the 31st due to posting time.

So here's my question: if I use the NCL MC to purchase OBC for my February cruise (and get the 1% bonus points), does anyone know if that will post now, or not until February, in which case it's worth nothing to me as points?

And part II: I booked thru an online TA. Can I call NCL direct to purchase OBC, or do I have to go thru the TA?

Thanks in advance. :)

Can only answer part of your question: If you purchase OBC (thru NCL) the charge is done immediately. I'm not sure if you need to go thru your TA or if NCL will do it for you. There is a NCL fax form, from http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=BonVoyageGifts look on the right side of the page for the Download Gift Order Form.

Just keep in mind the pre-purchased OBC's are nonrefundable if you don't use them all!

Just keep in mind the pre-purchased OBC's are nonrefundable if you don't use them all!

I'm almost positive they will charge your card now. OceanDreaming has a good point, so don't over do the OBC just in case.

That is what many of us on this board are doing, and hopefully it will all be worth it. Some of us have ordered the coins (see above). Keep in mind that some things take several days to post to your account, and in the case of the coins, they should be ordered at the very beginning of your billing cycle, because they do not prrepare them for shipping or charge your account for several days and then you need to get them to the bank for deposit. All charging that you need for the end of December should be done by December 23/24 in my opinion, or those charges may not show up in time for you to get credit. You will need to charge about 8,400 in this billing cycle, and then if you do that, and additional $3,500 (or a little less is some of this is NCL charges), the latter part of December, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW, IS WHEN YOUR ANNIVERSARY DATE OR CUTOFF FOR THE YEAR IS, SINCE AFTER THAT DATE, YOU CANNOT EARN ANYMORE FOR THE YEAR ONCE YOU HAVE EARNED 1,000 POINTS. THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELL YOU THAT DATE, IF YOU ARE UNSURE. FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOUR ANNIVERSARY DATE FOR THE CALENDAR YEAR WAS IN FEBRUARY, AND YOU HAVE EARNED 1,000 POINTS SINCE THEN, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO EARN ANY MORE POINTS!!!! THERE IS ALSO NO GUARANTEE THAT ANYTHING PAID TO NCL ON YOUR CC WILL BE CRDITED BACK TO YOU AFTER YOU SEND IN THE CERTIFICATES, EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE ALWAYS DONE THIS IN THE PAST.

Anniversary / date that I joined is 2007 but they couldnt give me a date. Lot of help that was lol.

Billing statement ending date is the 17th of the month

Anniversary / date that I joined is 2007 but they couldnt give me a date. Lot of help that was lol.

Billing statement ending date is the 17th of the month

Look at your card for your expiration date. That is your anniversary month. Any charges that are not on your bill by the 17th of the anniversary month are credit for the following year.