NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Do you have to book directly through NCL to get the higher points per dollar spent or can it be done through any online TA?

I assume you're asking about the Compass program. Yes, you can use a TA to get the 4%, just make sure they know they have to give NCL the card number so that NCL makes the charge, not your TA.

I just spent close to an hour on the phone with BOA. My first call was routed to World Points. I hung up and got a great CS rep. He checked and double-checked whether or not we would be able to accumulate CR points until 12/31. His answer was sorry, any points we would earn after our 12/10 closing date would go toward World Points. :mad: I asked for a supervisor and spoke to Liz in SLC. Her response was that yes, we will continue to earn CR points until 12/31. Just in case we run into problems with the CR points, the CS rep gave me an address for a protest:

FIA Card Services

Customer Satisfaction-Customer Action Team

Newark, DE 19850-1822

We have less than 30 points to get to our 1,000 point mark. I'm not going to give up until we get it!

I just spent close to an hour on the phone with BOA. My first call was routed to World Points. I hung up and got a great CS rep. He checked and double-checked whether or not we would be able to accumulate CR points until 12/31. His answer was sorry, any points we would earn after our 12/10 closing date would go toward World Points. :mad: I asked for a supervisor and spoke to Liz in SLC. Her response was that yes, we will continue to earn CR points until 12/31. Just in case we run into problems with the CR points, the CS rep gave me an address for a protest:

FIA Card Services

Customer Satisfaction-Customer Action Team

Newark, DE 19850-1822

We have less than 30 points to get to our 1,000 point mark. I'm not going to give up until we get it!

You go girl! (or boy) I have printed that address out! Thanks!

I'm doing this not only for DH and I, but for you c-breeze, and anyone else stuck in this mess!

Mary

Oh, I'm pretty sure Lane Flynn has another position at NCL. She was our PCC for a while and took a promotion. Then we got someone named Raleigh What a nightmare(don't ask!)!! We have an excellent PCC now (but that doesn't help with the CR points).

Does anyone know if you can pay more than your final pmt due on the NCL site? For instance, if we owe $300 on our next cruise, can we pay $1,000 and have credit on our acct. when we board to pay for excursions and cocktails? I am thinking that might be the best way to get our last charge for points for our 2nd cert. :) Thanks!

Does anyone know if you can pay more than your final pmt due on the NCL site? For instance, if we owe $300 on our next cruise, can we pay $1,000 and have credit on our acct. when we board to pay for excursions and cocktails? I am thinking that might be the best way to get our last charge for points for our 2nd cert. :) Thanks!

I'm not sure if they'll except overpayment, but if not, go to the ncl website and under bon voyage gifts, you can print out a page to fill out for OBC. You'll get the additional 1% if you use your NCL mastercard.

Just a note: The website states that you can only buy a certain amount of OBC, but the truth is, people often send in thousands of dollars so that their cruises are completely paid for before they set sail, so I know it's done.

I'm not sure if they'll except overpayment, but if not, go to the ncl website and under bon voyage gifts, you can print out a page to fill out for OBC. You'll get the additional 1% if you use your NCL mastercard.

Just a note: The website states that you can only buy a certain amount of OBC, but the truth is, people often send in thousands of dollars so that their cruises are completely paid for before they set sail, so I know it's done.

Just keep in mind, the OBC's you purchase before the cruise are non-refundable. If you don't use them all, you lose 'em.

Just keep in mind, the OBC's you purchase before the cruise are non-refundable. If you don't use them all, you lose 'em.

OD, That is not true anymore. There was a thread recently where staff from NCL said you do get your credit back. It goes back on the credit card you used. This is OBC that has been paid, not "promotional" OBC which is not refunded or carried over to the next cruise.

Here's the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=880168&highlight=

Edited by AWinkler

OD, That is not true anymore. There was a thread recently where staff from NCL said you do get your credit back. It goes back on the credit card you used. This is OBC that has been paid, not "promotional" OBC which is not refunded or carried over to the next cruise.

Here's the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=880168&highlight=

Sorry if I mislead anyone. I was just going by what our PCC told me before our November cruise on the Star. :confused:

Sorry if I mislead anyone. I was just going by what our PCC told me before our November cruise on the Star. :confused:

I can't tell you how many people I said the same information to. I guess it makes sense though, that you'd get a refund on actual OBC paid with cash.

Thank you! I thought there was a way to do that.

was the gentleman that heads the banks getting their money too stay in business. He stated that credit cards will be making some major changes for banks to make plenty just lke they do with ATMs. First thing is the interest rate may double & interest will be charged on all new purchases i a balance is showing. APRs will double or even triple. And the free, no annual fee credt cards may go to $100 a year. When I heard that I told my huband that we do CITI AMEX Platinum for the biggest bang. No other credit card that we have is worth $100.

So keep eyes out on the latest rip off to good people. Post here if you red ro hear of anything on this topic.

was the gentleman that heads the banks getting their money too stay in business. He stated that credit cards will be making some major changes for banks to make plenty just lke they do with ATMs. First thing is the interest rate may double & interest will be charged on all new purchases i a balance is showing. APRs will double or even triple. And the free, no annual fee credt cards may go to $100 a year. When I heard that I told my huband that we do CITI AMEX Platinum for the biggest bang. No other credit card that we have is worth $100.

So keep eyes out on the latest rip off to good people. Post here if you red ro hear of anything on this topic.

I have heard this too.. I found this post, as well, which sounds a little more hopeful: http://www.cnbc.com/id/28294720/for/cnbc/

I am very excited - Called BOA automated number yesterday and my points balance as of Dec cutoff was 893. I immediately charged my son's spring rent, as well as prepaid several utilities etc. and I have the required $3567 needed charged to get the additional 107 points I need. I will continue to use the card for the next week, just as a "buffer" in case there is a problem with a charge (or my DH forgets that he is not to make any returns that he might have until after Jan 1 - I don't think he has anything, but you never know....) I have copied the rules, and am looking forward to my two NCL $500 certificates in January. Hope this all goes well. We are planning to use them to celebrate our 30th anniversary on a Bermuda cruise, since we honeymooned there! Thanks so much for the coins suggestion that really helped during the last billing cycle. Now, I just won't need to spend any money on groceries for a while, since I have LOTS of grocery cards!!!

Where can I find the automated number to check on my points balance? thanks in advance for reply

Call the number on the back of you cc. You can get your points balance as of your last statement. So, let's say your billing date is today... you can call that number tomorrow and see how many point you have, so you can figure out how much you need to charge in the next week (assuming you haven't reached your max for the year) to get to the next certificate level. If it is more than 250 points, forget it........ You can also check to see if recent charges are pending or posted. They must be posted to count, and it can take several days for something to move from pending to posted. I would plan to be finished with charging by December 24!!!

congrats c breeze!!

We have one card that has enough charges to get to 1000 points at its closing date of the 26th.

The other card closes tomorrow and we will have about 130 points to go in the partial month (Dec 20-31). We will have a prepayment put on that card Monday to cover those points. I still have a bad feeling about getting these points, but will fight for them!!

We, too, have enough grocery and gas cards so we won't be "buying" either for the next 6 months!

congrats c breeze!!

We have one card that has enough charges to get to 1000 points at its closing date of the 26th.

The other card closes tomorrow and we will have about 130 points to go in the partial month (Dec 20-31). We will have a prepayment put on that card Monday to cover those points. I still have a bad feeling about getting these points, but will fight for them!!

We, too, have enough grocery and gas cards so we won't be "buying" either for the next 6 months!

Thanks!

I know what you mean about having a bad feeling about any points earned the second part of December. I have printed out the rules, saved them on my computer, etc. and suggest that everyone save the January bill which shows all charges posted through Dec 31, so we have proof of exactly how many points/certificates we should be getting. I am guessing this board will become quite active again when people start receiving their certificates in January. Let's hope we all get the right amounts without any problems.

There is not one card or program that is best, everybody has to do their own calculations based on spending and desirability of the "reward". Below is a comparison of AmEx Blue and HH. I ran annual spending of $3000 grocery + $4000 gas + $25,000 other.

AmEx Blue - First we have to account for the lowest tier $0-$6500 = 1% on grocery/gas and .5% on other.

Grocery $800 = $8 + gas $600 = $6 + other $5100 = $25

Then after $6500 in charges it's 5% on grocery & gas and 1% other

Grocery $3200 = $160 + gas $2400 = $120 + $19,900 other = $199

Total cash back $518

HH - Grocery & gas $7000 = 21,000pts + $25,000 other = 50,000pts

Total points 71,000. A free hotel night ranges from 7,500 - 40,000pts based on location and date. If you travel to popular destinations in prime season those points won't go as far as off season non-tourist destinations. :(

Of course if you are a longtime HH member like Aft-Lover and you get double points awarded then certainly that boosts the HH earnings. ;)

I also use Discover, where you can earn 5% (only up to $400 spending) in a different category each quarter. I only use Discover for the 5% bonus, up to the $400 max. The catch here is that you can get your reward in cash or gift certificates, I redeem for Crabtree & Evelyn where $40 redeemed gives me an $80 gift card. :D

I also use cards that earn miles for Delta , USAir and Northwest. My point is... run the numbers yourself based on what you spend and what you want to earn. Good luck!

Update as I continue the search (like many others). I was considering the Schwab cc that gives 2% on everything which is a good cash back rate. But now I think I'll go with Citi Platinum AmEx w/ Thank You points. No fee 1st yr, then $125/yr. Free airport lounge pass for 3 visits. 15,000pts bonus for spending $300 in first 3mos. Max 150,000pts per calendar year (get card in January, not late in the year) Earning changes to 1pt per $1 spent after 24mos. Here's the rebate calculation using the same spending amounts as quoted above:

$7000 gas & grocery @ 5pts = 35,000 pts

$25,000 other @ 3pts = 75,000pts

Bonus pts = 15,000

Total = 125,000pts = $800 statement credit (cost of .0145 per point) or $1250 Macy/Sears/JCP and other stores gift cards (cost of .01 per point).

Vs. the Schwab where $32K spending @ 2% = $640 cash back

In the second year even with the $125 fee you would net $700 statement credit or $1100 gift cards on the same $32K spending.

In the third year when earnings change to 1pt/$1 spent, it's time to look for another card again. You can redeem for a combination of statement credit & gift cards or hundreds of other options.

Good luck on your next cc choice!

Darlak: We switched to the Citi Platinum AmEx about two weeks ago when we got to our last 500 points. Due to the holidays, we have started accumulating a lot of TY points of which we already have a lot from another Citibank card that pay 5% Gas, Grocer and Drug forever (or until that stop that program) What I want to mention about your example is that the Total 125,000 points you talk about accumulating the first year can be used the same as taking $1,250 off the price of a cruise instead of buying gift cards. The only requirement is that you have to book through Expedia. But if you look at Expedia's travel prices they are not bad.

Max 150,000pts per calendar year (get card in January, not late in the year)

I don't understand what difference it would make. I was under the impression the points I have earned so far would be toward my 150,000 for 2008 and that whatever I earn in January and beyond goes toward my 150,000 point limit for 2009. Do I have something confused?

I am sure most of you know this but just a little hint for any of you who use this card or another 5% Gas, grocer, drug store. Go to CVS, Publix etc. and be sure to buy all your other stores gift cards i.e., Home Depot, restaurants, Best Buy etc. You earn 5% because your purchase was at the drug or grocer. Then just take your gift cards to the stores for your purchases instead of just earning 1%.

I am hoping Citi AmEx will wave the annual fee at the end of my first year. The way things are looking, this may not happen. I have only come across one establishment in the two weeks who will not take AmEx and that was my life insurance company. Everyone else has accepted it.