Diamond Princess to Hawaii

humboldt74

My wife and I will be taking the Diamond Princess to Hawaii on Oct 4th for their 15 day cruise. Has anyone done one of these? This is our 4th cruise on Princess and we have completely enjoyed all our previous cruises. Ant ideas on shore excursions?

My wife and I will be taking the Diamond Princess to Hawaii on Oct 4th for their 15 day cruise. Has anyone done one of these? This is our 4th cruise on Princess and we have completely enjoyed all our previous cruises. Ant ideas on shore excursions?

My suggestion is to take a pair of sweats for the days at sea. It really is chilly out there sometimes. People were buying up sweat shirts and jackets. We cruised in April, so perhaps it will be a bit warmer for you in October. I loved the days at sea.

Another thing to be aware is that it can get a little rough the first couple of days or the last couple of days because you're crossing a strong current. Many people who were unaware of this (as well as some new to cruising) ended up spending the first couple of days on our cruise in their cabins. Fortunately I brought ginger so I took it when I got woozy. My hubby and daughter were unaffected, as usual.

We did all our own "self tours" by renting a car for the day. Many of the rental agencies will have buses at the pier to pick you up and drop you off. That way you can see what you want to see at the pace you want to see it at.

I am from Hawaii, hubby & I took NCL's Pride of America because our daughter was a dancer on the ship. We were on the starboard side, port side is better, the breathtaking Napali coastline was on port side, so was the volcano. That is of course if you are getting a balcony room. If you are its worth the extra $'s to get a mini suite, so roomy and we really utilized the space; especially since you will be spending 2 weeks. That cruise was spectacular...we were hesitant on going since we live on the islands and are we glad we did! The views are fabulous from the ship! We did ziplining in Kauai, what a blast, we were the oldies of the group (50+) as my hubby put it...what a rush! There is also tubing in Kauai that I heard is great, you can do the zipling on Maui as well. We booked the excursions online and not through Princess...so much cheaper on your own! You can just google zipling in Hawaii and all kinds of excursions w/various booking agencies will pull up and you can visually see all the different excursions. You will love this cruise!!! Enjoy! October is still REALLY warm...will still be in the high 80's.

aloha,

wanda:)

When we go this fall we are planning to snorkel in Kona then shop in the afternoon, rent a car in Kauai to tour the south and west side, Hilo we are renting a car and heading to the north part of the island, Oahu we decided to take the bus around this year and try to catch some things we have missed in the past on the east and north shore, and in Maui we are going to snorkel the Molokini Crater. This is our third trip and love the islands, but I can't wait for all of the sea days. If you want more ideas check the Hawaii link under ports of call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Archived