Any Suggestions On What To Do With A 2 Year Old On The Ship

ymann

We Are Going On The Enchantment On 8/23 With Our 2 1/2 Year Old. I Know She Is Not Able To Use The Camp. Any Suggestions On What To Do On The Ship Especially At Night That She Would Enjoy.:)

When we sailed with our son a few years ago on Jewel, we hired a babysitter each night for $8 an hour because we were with a group and had late seating. She took him for walks on the ship and then put him to sleep every night. You may not want to do that, but she did do some fun things with him: they went to the arcade and watched the kids playing games, and they went to some of the public areas where there was music and he enjoyed watching people and dancing. One morning, we were waiting in line to get off at a port, and people recognized him from dancing the night before - people we'd never met. We got a kick out of it.

Right outside the Schooner Bar there was a little mock boat you could sit in that he enjoyed "sailing."

During the day, RCCL has Aqua Tots programs that you can do with her; we didn't have that yet when we sailed.

Have fun. Our son loved it and I hope she does too,

I cruised in May with my then-21 months twin boys. We were on the Rhapsody and we went every day to the Aqua Tots session. It was every morning for 45 mins. The whole day pretty much revolved around that session because it was really the only thing that was just for them. We got a sitter for 2 nights. I only had her come once the boys were already asleep. We took them to a show once but it was a little late for them. Some evenings I would walk them around and around the jogging track in the stroller. This would allow us to stay out a bit later. Back home they would go to bed between 7-7:30 and on the cruise it would be 9-10 or even later...not by my choice...they were just really off their schedule. Even at the early dining seating it was too late and too long. We gave up on the dining room after 2 nights. I found it difficult at this age to keep them entertained. I went when the boys were 15 months and found it a lot easier to entertain them. Our next trip is not scheduled until the boys are 3 yrs 3 months so they will be eligible to go to the kids programs.

Monique

On our last cruise, last December on the Victory, I packed baggies with activities. I had just turned three and seven year old boys at the time and my sister had a almost one and nine year old along. I packed bags for all kids. Some of the bags had color pages with crayons packed along. Some had those foam sticky things, that was a Christmas tree with ornaments and a Santa with sleigh and reindeer. Some were also ripped out from those activity books appropriate for each age with a crayon included. Then I had goody bags with bubbles and yo-yo's and things from the dollar store inside a felt bag from the target dollar spot.

I still have some left and are booked on a cruise in January on the NCL Sun.

During the day kids are swimming, snacking, doing a couple of the kids club activities.... I highlight which ones I think they would like... the seven year old will be eight and will get a vote on this one. They always went into the ports with us. I remember on our first cruise we wouldn't go far and get a lay of the land, only child just turned three... now we pile into hopefully a public bus!!! It is still funny that we rode the dollar safari - that cost two dollars and required a 1/4 to a 1/2 mile walk from the main road... our husbands loved it, kinda!?!

At night we did early sitting and the shows. A snack after if they managed and were snuggled in around 10:00... I remember teasing Grandma that she would get to babysit the youngest.... she probably would have... maybe....

Cruising with children it great you go to bed in St. Thomas and wake up in St. Martin....

I know that I am the perpetual person on this site telling people to wait until their child is 3 and eligible for the kids programs.

I know that others say that they loved their cruises with toddlers- but I really didn't "love" it. It was doable. Yes, you can travel with toddlers on a ship but for the money- I'd rather wait until a later date when the whole family can have a great time.

I love cruising since my son turned 3 and he is about to embark on his 13th cruise (he's 6 almost 7). So, yes I am a cruise fan. Yes, I wouldn't think of cruising without my son. But no, I don't think that 21 months on Carnival is going to be all that fantastic.

2 year olds eat the same thing basically- not too interested in trying new foods. Then there is the matter of showers versus tubs. Most 21 month olds prefer baths. Then there is the matter of not being allowed in the swimming pools. At least at a resort- they can swim in swim diapers.

At a resort the rooms are bigger- more space to run around, etc. Just MHO.

The reason most people cruise is to relax- very hard with a toddler. A family of three or four in a small cabin isn't so awesome. The parents will not have fun in the fine diningroom with a wiggly tot.

I'd do a land vacation. You can still eat out and have someone make your bed for you- but just have more room for an energetic toddler. And you can just walk out to the beach instead of having to tender with a stroller,etc. And go back to the room for naps- instead of a taxi with a sandy kid. Been there done that.

I know that I am the perpetual person on this site telling people to wait until their child is 3 and eligible for the kids programs.

I know that others say that they loved their cruises with toddlers- but I really didn't "love" it. It was doable. Yes, you can travel with toddlers on a ship but for the money- I'd rather wait until a later date when the whole family can have a great time.

I love cruising since my son turned 3 and he is about to embark on his 13th cruise (he's 6 almost 7). So, yes I am a cruise fan. Yes, I wouldn't think of cruising without my son. But no, I don't think that 21 months on Carnival is going to be all that fantastic.

2 year olds eat the same thing basically- not too interested in trying new foods. Then there is the matter of showers versus tubs. Most 21 month olds prefer baths. Then there is the matter of not being allowed in the swimming pools. At least at a resort- they can swim in swim diapers.

At a resort the rooms are bigger- more space to run around, etc. Just MHO.

The reason most people cruise is to relax- very hard with a toddler. A family of three or four in a small cabin isn't so awesome. The parents will not have fun in the fine diningroom with a wiggly tot.

I'd do a land vacation. You can still eat out and have someone make your bed for you- but just have more room for an energetic toddler. And you can just walk out to the beach instead of having to tender with a stroller,etc. And go back to the room for naps- instead of a taxi with a sandy kid. Been there done that.

That's why this board is so great because we can all respect each other opinions. :)

When Gab was 2 on Carnival she was the ONLY one who wanted to try the new foods (the 7 year old had her nose turned up). ;) And she was 100% potty trained, so she could go in the pools. We always get suites so we don't have to worry about the showers verses bathtub...we always have tubs. And the suites have balconies so we don't have to tiptoe around the room at night when we want to have some adult conversation. :D

And she was even able to participate in the excursions like the dolphin encounter.

But I agree, it is ALOT easier when they are old enough to be in the kid's club. There is that age that the OP's child is at...it is the toughest age to have on a cruise. Before 1 year old it's easy cause they are immobile. After 2 years old it's easy cause 2 cruiselines have camps that accept 2 year olds. But it's the between 1 and 2 that's the toughest.

Yes, I have to agree with the between 1 & 2 is the toughest.

And I also agree that it is doable but maybe not as great as it could be (when you can balance the time in the kids clubs and with the family).

I forgot about the shower thing but yeah, the poor guys didn't get a bath or shower all week...lol. And the non-swimming was quite a drag.

But having said all that, I wouldn't think of travelling without them! I have to wonder at all the ppl who think I'm nuts to travel with my kids! Even ppl (maybe especially ppl!) who have kids comment on our travelling with the kids. I work full-time and the boys are in daycare so when it is vacation time I want to be with them for goodness sakes!

Having a bunch of family around can really help with getting a break and getting help with the kids at that age. It was really the lack of being able to rip around and just let loose that I didn't like. We had a few excursions to the beach but a couple got cancelled....long story there!

Cheers!

Monique

Twin boys turning 2 next week!

I completely understand what you're saying (though I love cruising with my toddlers), but the poster already has a cruise booked.

For the poster - after dinner you can take your child for a walk, have a dance with her in an empty lounge or in the back of a busier one, let her run around the empty disco before it opens, sit in the back and watch one of the shows - then when she's ready for bed, change her into into jammies and she can sleep in the stroller while you enjoy the rest of your evening.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

your going on the enchantment 8/23???? This will be my daughters second cruise and she is nly 2 1/2. We are going with a group of 8 people so they will all entertain her. i am really excited. her last cruise she was only 13 months and just walking now she is in a full run so it should be interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

I assuming you'd all say "between 1-3 years" is the most difficult if you're on a ship that doesn't have 2's in the child program? Big family trip planned, so we may not get our exact personal say in which ship we go on. But it may be free for us :)

We'll have a 5-1/2 and a 35-month old (probably not potty trained)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived