Pack-n-play or sofa bed?

NanciRDH

We're cruising on 7/21, Carnival Glory, and I can't decide if I want to bring the p-n-p for our 2 yo dd, or if she'd do ok in the sofa pullout. I hadn't given it much thought because I had assumed the 3rd bed would be a pullman berth, and I know she's not ready for that. I was surprised to see the 3rd bed is a sofa, so that got me thinking twice about lugging the p-n-p. She's ok with sleeping in it, she's still tiny and sleeps comfy in it overnight with granpa, so that's not an issue, but she's a "busy" sleeper, and I'm not sure how well she'd stay in a bed w/o rails. Does anyone know if rails will work on Carnival sofa beds, and if so, do I need to bring them with me? I know I can get portable ones that can fit into a suitcase @TRU. TIA for any input on this, and if someone has any pics, I'd love to see them. I've looked in webshots, but there are way too many to look at there!

I agree with PP, if she's not used to a regular bed don't introduce her to the concept on your vacation. We took the pnp for our 20 month old and would fold it up each day to give us more space in the room. It slid nicely under the bed when not in use. They were available on the Carnival Conquest but we brought our own since we drove to port. I would imagine they have them on the Glory also.

I try NEVER to drag a pnp onboard a cruiseship. It is fine for me to lug it to land resorts but I try to stay away from them on cruises. And I have a "busy" sleeper too.

I use pillows as a guard to stop her from rolling off the sofa bed. In other cases I have taken the sofa and turned it backwards against a wall so my child had a wall on one side. I have seen pictures of the Carnival sofa beds but you didn't say WHICH cabin you were staying in on Glory. I recently saw pictures of the bed posted on the Carnival board and the sofas in the suites were different...so I will track down that thread again for you.

ALSO, as another option, on our last carnival cruise they put my youngest's bed (who was 2 at the time) on the floor. It looked like this...and we actually STILL had lots of room in the cabin to walk.

IMG_0047.jpg

I try NEVER to drag a pnp onboard a cruiseship. It is fine for me to lug it to land resorts but I try to stay away from them on cruises. And I have a "busy" sleeper too.

I use pillows as a guard to stop her from rolling off the sofa bed. In other cases I have taken the sofa and turned it backwards against a wall so my child had a wall on one side. I have seen pictures of the Carnival sofa beds but you didn't say WHICH cabin you were staying in on Glory. I recently saw pictures of the bed posted on the Carnival board and the sofas in the suites were different...so I will track down that thread again for you.

ALSO, as another option, on our last carnival cruise they put my youngest's bed (who was 2 at the time) on the floor. It looked like this...and we actually STILL had lots of room in the cabin to walk.

ITA about dragging the p-n-p on a cruise...you're stuck with it the last morning because it didn't go with the rest of the luggage. We're in a 6A on the Riviera deck (public forum and all that, I don't want to get more specific. :) ) two connecting rooms, she'll be with me and Dh, 2 big sisters in the next room.

The floor might be a good idea (cute pic!) I've even got a small inflatable sleepingbag gizmo that might work. She naps on a mat at preschool, so that concept may not be totally foreign to her.

So much to think about, doing this toddler travelling thing again. My older 2 are 10 and 15, but we didn't cruise when they were this little. We've missed 3 years waiting for #3 to be bigger so we could do it again, and still have some grownup time! Thanks for all your input.

My DD did very well on the sofa bed on Carnival when she was 2. What we did was this, when they make the bed up they take the back bolster cushions off the couch and make it up as a bed. We then took those cushions and propped them up between the bed and coffee table as a makeshift side rail. It worked great.

Carnival does not provide pack n play's. They use smaller metal portable cribs. Depending on how big your 2 year-old is it might be too small. We used it for my DD when she was 19 months and it was a bit tight but still worked. You may want to drag your own along.

Next cruise my DD will be two also and I am debating using it again. She is still in a crib at home. I have read a suggestion about turning the couch around to put the open side against the wall and then you have a "crib" so to speak. You may be able to try that. Just tell the steward to leave the cusions the way they are and just make up the middle part.

Good luck! Please post how it works out.

Julie

Archived