Tender questions??

Starbright7966

I have been on three cruises before and I have never had to tender in. I have motion sickness, but I do not get sick on the cruise ship. I was hoping that someone could tell me how bad the tender ride is. Is it really rough and are you seated or standing the 20 min ride? Thank you for any information you can provide. :eek:

You are seated. They are decent sized boats that move pretty quick. It's about a fifteen minute ride to get from the ship to Belize City. I experience sea sickness too, but it really wasn't that bad. I think if you sit facing forward it might help.

Just keep it in your mind that it's a quick ride and it will be over soon.

You are seated. They are decent sized boats that move pretty quick. It's about a fifteen minute ride to get from the ship to Belize City. I experience sea sickness too, but it really wasn't that bad. I think if you sit facing forward it might help.

Just keep it in your mind that it's a quick ride and it will be over soon.

Thank you for answering my question. That makes me feel a lot better. I was afraid they would put us in like a little inflatable raft or something. I am glad to hear they are larger boats.

I am real prone to sea sickness. No way I could do a cruise without the patch. I swear by them.

As far as tenders go, they're a lot better than I figured they'd be. Those suckers are pretty big actually. It varies by port, but they all seem to hold several hundred people each. The rides are usually 10 minutes or so and I've never been on a rough one. Get a spot that gets a good breeze.

we just did this last week and it really wasnt too bad. I can tell you that if you can manage to sit towards the back of the boat it has less motion for you.

Because you go so fast the front does tend to go bump on the waves some. We were in the very front going and the back coming back, so I do know for a fact the backis better.

sometimes you wont have a choice because it is full.

They had 3 different types of tender boats when we went. One was just one level, with high sides with windows all the way around and the bakc is all open. Plenty of fresh air.

The other had one main level and seating for about 6 people up by the driver. again it had high solid walls so if your towards the front you cant see where your going, an open back and plenty of fresh air blowing through.

3rd was a very wide flat bottom type boat, it had ,metal railings instead of high walls.

all were big boats and all move very fast. we timed it and it was 12 minutes from ship to shore and we were docked 6 miles out from shore according to the captain.

I get very nervous in small boats especially if they bounce around much and I wasnt bothered at all.

If you have a rough sea day then that would be different. I had already decided I would NOT go to Belise if we had rough seas, but it was calm.

All last week was calm seas, i will hope you will have the same when you go, Belize is well worth seeing. We had a great time.

mom x4,grandma x4

Thanks to everyone who has answered my question. The tenders do not seem so bad now. They sound like they really move and get you there fast. Now I just need to worry about getting on an early tender. We are going with Cave-tubing.com and we need off asap. Does anyone have any advice on how to beat the system and get off early. I have read many post about it, but I was wondering if anyone had a sure fire way of getting on early. It sounds like the best way is to act like your on a carnival excursion. We will be on the Valor, so any advice will be great. So thanks again.

Thanks to everyone who has answered my question. The tenders do not seem so bad now. They sound like they really move and get you there fast. Now I just need to worry about getting on an early tender. We are going with Cave-tubing.com and we need off asap. Does anyone have any advice on how to beat the system and get off early. I have read many post about it, but I was wondering if anyone had a sure fire way of getting on early. It sounds like the best way is to act like your on a carnival excursion. We will be on the Valor, so any advice will be great. So thanks again.

You will be fine. Like the above posters said, grab a seat close to the front with a breeze and stay facing forward, try not to turn around for long periods of time. Me and my dds are very prone to motion sickness and we did fine. If its your first time it will actually be kinda neat!:D

Starbright7966,

We were on the Valor in May and I was dead set on getting on the first tenders in Belize and Grand Cayman, as we had booked all private excursions, not through the cruise ship. It was very easy, and it worked out just fine.

Do this. Go to the Ivanhoe Theater around 7am. This is where all of the cruisers go who have booked early "cruise ship" sponsored excursions. Be very polite and tell one of the cruise employees that you have scheduled an early independent excursion and need to get off the ship. You may have to show a receipt showing the start time for you tour, we didn't have to, but I've heard that some people have been asked for proof. Just bring something to be safe.

If you are nice and not demanding, I'm sure you will have no problems. Do NOT go to deck five and get a sticker, like they tell you to do at the purser's desk. It is not the best way to get off first.

We happened to find a really cool cruise employee who gave us this "inside" information, and it was perfect.

Good luck.

Starbright7966,

We were on the Valor in May and I was dead set on getting on the first tenders in Belize and Grand Cayman, as we had booked all private excursions, not through the cruise ship. It was very easy, and it worked out just fine.

Do this. Go to the Ivanhoe Theater around 7am. This is where all of the cruisers go who have booked early "cruise ship" sponsored excursions. Be very polite and tell one of the cruise employees that you have scheduled an early independent excursion and need to get off the ship. You may have to show a receipt showing the start time for you tour, we didn't have to, but I've heard that some people have been asked for proof. Just bring something to be safe.

If you are nice and not demanding, I'm sure you will have no problems. Do NOT go to deck five and get a sticker, like they tell you to do at the purser's desk. It is not the best way to get off first.

We happened to find a really cool cruise employee who gave us this "inside" information, and it was perfect.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for the great information. I will do what you suggested. This is a really awesome website. I am glad I found it. People like you are going to help me have a great vacation.

Thanks again:D

Chelsea,

No problem. I feel like I have to give some help back since these boards helped me so much too. I was addicted to this site before our cruise, drove my husband nuts! But we did get so much helpful information. Have a great trip.

Jennifer do you think this would work on Glory? We are going through private

excursion and need to meet with them at 8:15a.m. This is our first time with a private excursion, but have read so much on these threads that state this is the only way to go. I am really looking forward to this port and want it to go smooth.

We too booked with cavetubing.com...... and they had asked us to meet them as early as possible after anchoring. We (dd and I) were going with 2 couples from our Meet & Mingle (booked ahead after chatting on roll call). We met in the Centrum at 7:30 and went together down to the tender. We had no problem getting on the very first one...... it was early enough that there just wasnt that many people..... even the cruise sponsored excursions were still getting organized in the theatre :D

Also.... it was pretty calm going into town.....but by the afternoon trip back it was rough...... the tenders will not leave until they are full..... so try to get on one at the last minute..... we had one girl who got on and then had to sit there while it filled.... she was soooo sick. It was just rocking like crazy at the dock..... no air flowing thru..... we all felt so sorry for her. And more than one of us was quesy :(

Stunned,

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would just ask around to find out where the people gather who have scheduled early cruise ship excursions and go to that area. I was afraid about doing all independent excursions, but it worked out for us in all four ports. Good luck.

Thanks for the responses. We will take your advise and see how it goes. I guess best thing to do is just blend with the crowd. Good to know about leaving port on tender - will hang out and do some shopping until it looks like it is getting full.

Stunned-

We were on Glory recently and had to meet our tour at the pier in Belize at 8:30. But ship time will be 10:30, so you should have lots of time to get there. (They are 2 hours behind ship time). We got on line at 8:00 (shiptime) for the tender tickets and got on the 3rd tender out- with plenty of time to spare. On Glory, the line for tender tix opens at 8:30, but people started lining up at 7:45. Like I said, we were on line by 8 and did just fine.

I'm not sure I understand the necessity of getting on the very first tender to shore. Don't the cave tubing tour operators wait until everyone has checked in for the tour before leaving town at an appointed time, anyway? This means, of course, that if others signed up for the tour can't get out until the second or third tender, won't the first tender people have to wait for them?

Or do the tour operators take groups away in small batches as they arrive?

I'm not sure I understand the necessity of getting on the very first tender to shore. Don't the cave tubing tour operators wait until everyone has checked in for the tour before leaving town at an appointed time, anyway? This means, of course, that if others signed up for the tour can't get out until the second or third tender, won't the first tender people have to wait for them?

Or do the tour operators take groups away in small batches as they arrive?

If you are booked with a small tour, as we are next week, then you want to beat the crowds. We have booked a private tour for cave tubing and zip line and it is just my daughter and I on this tour. No need to wait for everyone else to get going.

But, yes, if you are with a larger tour group, you would need to wait until either the bus/van fills, or your entire group is there.

Hi, Starbright7966.

We were in Belize on the Legend of the Seas last December and found tendering quite easy. Yes, be polite with the shore managers on board, and tell them you are booked on an early tour, independently, and would like to kindly get on an early tender. Your independent operator in Belize (or other tendering destinations, I imagine)can actually provide you with a document showing early timing (our cave tubing operator in Belize, Major Tom, at belizecavetubing(dot)net, was pretty good with instructions. The ride is good, it's not bumpy, and the tenders carry from 80 to 200 passengers in about 10-15 minutes from ship to shore. The dock in Belize is comfortable and well suited for passenger disembarkation, and Major Tom and his team were right there at the dock with their sign with our names on it. There was no need to go hunting for terminals or ask for instructions. They were right there, which made us feel relieved and pretty happy. Major Tom took one group and his son, Tom Jr., took our group, The tour was excellent - this is a good team who offer a really personalized, safe, and information filled cave tubing experience. Get up early, and go get some fun, Starbright.

Hi, Starbright7966.

We were in Belize on the Legend of the Seas last December and found tendering quite easy. Yes, be polite with the shore managers on board, and tell them you are booked on an early tour, independently, and would like to kindly get on an early tender. Your independent operator in Belize (or other tendering destinations, I imagine)can actually provide you with a document showing early timing (our cave tubing operator in Belize, Major Tom, at belizecavetubing(dot)net, was pretty good with instructions. The ride is good, it's not bumpy, and the tenders carry from 80 to 200 passengers in about 10-15 minutes from ship to shore. The dock in Belize is comfortable and well suited for passenger disembarkation, and Major Tom and his team were right there at the dock with their sign with our names on it. There was no need to go hunting for terminals or ask for instructions. They were right there, which made us feel relieved and pretty happy. Major Tom took one group and his son, Tom Jr., took our group, The tour was excellent - this is a good team who offer a really personalized, safe, and information filled cave tubing experience. Get up early, and go get some fun, Starbright.

Thanks for the great information. The more I learn the less worried I am. I am glad you had a great cruise and I am sure I will too.

So does everyone in my party need to head down there early to get our ticket off, if there is a ticket. I really do not know how this all works. When we go down there to talk to the peoeple is that when you get off the ship or do you wait? I am booked with cave-tubing.com and I need to be at the dock before ten. We dock at 8 so I am not sure what I need to do. Do I need to beg off the ship, in a manner of speaking, or just go where they instruct the non-cruise excursion people . Any advice would be great....

Thanks again for all the great info

Archived