Cannes - advice please

When I get to Cannes (seas permitting - a friend recently couldn't land there as it was too rough for the tenders) I would like to have a look round Cannes and then Nice, and maybe some of the pretty villages too. I haven't cruised before, but have read that there are usually lots of taxis when you get off the ship. Will I be able to get a taxi to take my elderly mother and I out for a few hours for a tour around the area, stopping here and there for photos and comfort breaks? Any idea how much they might charge?I am not keen on doing the ships tour as I don't like coaches much, and I've heard they are a bit rushed.

Thanks.

I may happen - but the sea at Cannes is rarely rough. Usually the weather is fine if not gorgeous.

The first thing you should do is to click http://www.viamichelin.fr to see a map of the region and to get a sense of distances in the area.

You can hire a taxi but be prepared that it will be very expensive if you want to go to Nice and back and see something of the region. You can also use public transport but it will cost you one or two hours of your precious time.

So my advice is to rent a car (from one of the big international companies). This gives you the opportunity to explore the fantastic cote d'azur on your own, and it is quite economical.

The most rewarding drive will be westwards from Cannes on the N98 in the direction St. Raphael. You will see some of the world's most beautiful shorelines. The section between Le Trayas and Agay is most scenic.

You should also drive the corniches between Nice and Monaco - one way the moyenne corniche (make a stop at Eze), the other way the grand corniche.

St. Paul de Vence is also worth a trip. If you want to visit one museum of modern art choose either the Musee Message Biblique (Chagall) in Nice or the Fondation Maeght in St. Paul de Vence.

I do not know the health status of your Mom, but you might want to hre a private guide/driver for the area. Have you checked out the roll call for your ship/sailing? There may be someone who has already arranged soemthing which you might join,saving some money. The ability to fond taxis is limited in the Med. and even when you do, the driver might not speak English.

Karen

When we were there last year we spent the morning walking around the city near the port and then over to the commerical store area. Coming back to the pier we noticed the HOHO bus and we took that on its trip along the beach front. We were on top and it was very enjoyable. The price was reasonable. Don't remember exactly but think it was in the E8 range. The ride was for 1-1 1/2 hours long.

John L.

Archived