just back from NCL Spirit with a 4 year old and 1 year old...any questions??

LadyBug888

hello! we just returned from the NCL Spirit cruise that went to Florida and the Bahamas. We have a 4 year old and a 1 year old so if you have any questions about the kids camp or anything family related I'll be happy to help.

I got a lot of great tips from this board before we left so I'll be more than happy to return the favor!

Christie

Hi Christie,

We’re leaving on the same cruise in 2-1/2 weeks (yeah!) I have a 21 month old, so I’m interested in your experiences with your 1 year old!

First of all, did you have a good time?? (Hopefully so!!)

A few questions:

1)What do you do at the ports? Would you recommend what you did?

2)How was dining on the ship? Any tips for keeping a 1 year old entertained? Any restaurants better than others?

3) Did you use the NCL provided crib? Was it a pack-n-play or a portable crib?

4) Did you try to see any of the shows with your kids? Did that work okay? Any shows you would recommend?

5) Were there any items that you would recommend packing (or leaving at home)?

Okay, that was more than a few questions. :) Any info or other tips that you have would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi, WE are traveling with a 14month old and I was wondering if she will be allowed in the kiddie pool with a swimmer diaper.

This topic is talked about frequently.

The answer is no, swim diapers are not allowed in any pool for the health of all passengers.

If you use the search feature and type in swim diapers you will see lots of discussion.

Have a great cruise.

Hi Christie,

We’re leaving on the same cruise in 2-1/2 weeks (yeah!) I have a 21 month old, so I’m interested in your experiences with your 1 year old!

First of all, did you have a good time?? (Hopefully so!!)

A few questions:

1)What do you do at the ports? Would you recommend what you did?

2)How was dining on the ship? Any tips for keeping a 1 year old entertained? Any restaurants better than others?

3) Did you use the NCL provided crib? Was it a pack-n-play or a portable crib?

4) Did you try to see any of the shows with your kids? Did that work okay? Any shows you would recommend?

5) Were there any items that you would recommend packing (or leaving at home)?

Okay, that was more than a few questions. :) Any info or other tips that you have would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hello!

We had a great time and our kids LOVED it!

1) in Pt. Canaveral we went to Sea World. This is one of the very few things about the trip I wish we did NOT do. Although, admission for my daughter was Free, so check with the excursion desk the first day if you booked this tour. (i think under 2 is free). We arrived at the park at 11 am and had to be back at the bus area at 4 pm. it was very very hot and extremely humid. looking back, we felt this was a waste - but if you do go the shamu show was very good. DD LOVED it!

a) in Nassau we chose not to do any excursions and just got off the boat to do some shopping. there are a few strips of stores and they are mostly under an overhang so it was a bit cooler. Check your "Freestyle Daily" the night before for some good coupons.

b) at Great Stirrup Cay just my husband and I went Parasailing and the kids stayed with my parents on the ship. However if you do plan to take the kids to the beach get out there as early as possible. Our plan was to get the kids after we finished parasailing around 9 am but by then the beach was mostly filled up. By that time it was very hard for us to find an area with some shade and an umbrella etc. The beach was beautiful, just get out there early and it will be great! We did find that the kids pool was empty so we had a great time having the pool to ourselves.

2) Dining was ok. We did not get a chance to eat in all the restaurants. We ate a lot in Windows (one of the dining rooms) and the buffet, Raffles. The food was OK nothing to write home about. But they did have a good selection for my kids to eat and that is all I was worried about. In either place for breakfast I always took 2 of the little boxes of Cheerios for DD to snack on during the day. This is also where I filled up her bottles of milk.

3) NCL gave us a Pack n Play just like the one we have at home but I brought my own sheet.

4) We personally did not try to bring her to the shows (remember I also have a 4 year old) but i did see a lot of strollers with little ones sleeping. Just put on his/her pjs sit in the back and see how it goes!

5) OK packing suggestions:

Clorox anywhere spray - i used this everyday for the highchairs

Inflatable pool/bathtub. most of the rooms have showers so we brought a small inflatable tub with us and just put it on the shower floor to bathe her. We also took it on deck and used it as a pool. we filled it with the water from the outdoor shower because all the pools are filled with salt water.

a clock if you are in an inside cabin....no sunlight to let you know it's morning!

Toys from home, snacks from home.

Also, my kids slept great every single night. they where worn out from the day and the motion from the boat moving is very soothing to them so that was a plus.

and the best thing I can tell you about this ship for your little one is the kiddie pool. it was so cute - it is a pirate theme and located on the back of deck 10 - 2 water slides so much fun.

I have been on a ton of cruises before but this was the first one with my kids. The staff was very very nice to them. They always stopped to say hello and after the second day it seemed like they all knew my kids by name.

i hope this helps, have a great time.

Hi, WE are traveling with a 14month old and I was wondering if she will be allowed in the kiddie pool with a swimmer diaper.

As the PP said, swim diapers are not allowed in any of the pools. to solve this problem we brought with us a small inflatable tub and used it on deck as a pool. All the pools are filled with salt water so even if she was allowed in with a swim diaper I would not have brought her in since she has very sensitive skin. While on deck I filled the tub with fresh water from the shower by the pool and when we were done I drained the tub by one of the water drains in the floor. I originally bought the tub to bathe her in but then realized we could use it as a pool too.

hope this helps, have fun!

Christie,

Thank you, thank you!!! I can't tell you how helpful your reply is! I'm so excited for our trip - I'm ready to start packing right now!!!

Thanks again!!!!

Archived