How the heck do you handle the laundry situation???

cs

We have done longer cruises and trips. My undies (the expensive ones get washed by hand at home - so its ditto when travelling). For DH I save worn undies and pack enough for 2 each day. These get thrown out - which leaves more room for whatever we buy while on our trip. If he doesn't have enough 'oldies' I buy the buck each undies from Target or some other discounter. I will wash my undies but not his. I take his 'nylon' black socks. If the trip is less than 2 weeks I will take enough socks. Otherwise the nylon wash out and dry quickly.

If you take tops wear one for 3 hours at night and then wear it again at dinner (if dressy) or during the day (if casual). The ships are climate controlled so unless you do a lot of dancing the clothes sould pass the 'sniff it' test. I always wear bottoms more than once - I wear the 'once worn' on shore excursions - then is done or it goes to the laundry.

The big thing is - you do not have to have shoes/purse outfit matching all the time. Plan formal wear so you need one pair of shoes and purse (also usable for informal nights). All the dresses I take for formal night are now black - makes the shoes and purse issue not a problem.

I appreciate your post. I will say that I'm going to argue against myself here though... I just think that when I'm paying over $6000 when all is said and done, I shouldn't have to wear old underwear, (like you I wash my fine washable as well) or do any sniff tests, or dumb down my clothing so much so that I feel like I'm camping rather than enjoying a top notch cruise.

That being said one could argue, "Well if your going this far, why not just send out your laundry?" My answer is, I don't choose to spend the extra money for something that I enjoy doing, and I don't trust the laundry services as I have had very expensive clothes ruined with only a, "sorry, here is $25". I won't smuggle, I'll buy the wine package, HECK I even upgraded to the GS for the extra perks and the extra room.

But it's a rule and I do respect that so I will bring enough to get by, and wash in the sink what I need to. ;)

I love my "old undies" because they are so comfortable especially if they have holes in them. I wouldnt be able to throw them out.

Yikes! I just came from checking out the smoking thread and the dining thread and now I see we have undies! LOL! :D CC is just full of entertainment tonight! :D

Ok, laundry..........I'm not on vacation to do it. I drive to port, pack more than any sane person would ever need despite swearing I will never do that again, clothes just seem to jump in the bags anyway!:D I have little travel packets of Tide, I've never had the need to use them BUT if I did, I would just wash clothes in the sink and clothepin ( yeah I have them too, never used:p ) to balcony chair to dry. I've been on 5 night and 15 night cruises and I haven't had to do laundry yet and that's my story and I'm stickin to it! :D

Archived