Convincing beach lover to go to Alaska

We've noticed on this thread that there are plenty of people that have been to both "warm" locales and Alaska and they all seem to be thrilled with Alaska.

So far no one has posted they went to Alaska and regretted it.

The only ones encouraging hubby to not go are those that have never been!:rolleyes:

Very good observation!

To the OP - all I would add to everything already posted here is that to really do Alaska right I highly recommend adding a land package. The more days the better. The more of Alaska you see and experience, the more amazed you will be!

As to best time of year, we did late August both times and the weather was fine. Early and late in the season means cheap...uh...less expensive. ;) June and July are considered the height of the season with bigger price tags and *supposedly* predictably better weather. Yeah, well, weather is pretty much a crapshoot any time you go. :p ;)

Good luck convincing your DH. :cool:

We just started cruising in 2005 and I'm totally hooked. :D We have done the eastern, western, southern and doing the southern caribbean again next March. How can I convince my beach-loving husband to take a cruise to Alaska? He absolutely loves all types of nature and scenery but says when he gets on a ship, he wants to go to the beach. :( He has seen pictures of Alaska, even watched the Radiance in Alaska on the Travel Channel but he's not budging yet. I want to go for my 40th birthday so I still have a few years of convincing to do. ;) Is there anyone out there who went to Alaska not sure if they would like it or not? I really think he will love it, maybe even more than me. Any helpful hints out there?? :eek:

I know a few people like your husband who went begrudgingly with their spouse to Alaska. They rave about it now and would go back in a heart beat. I have been trying for a few years to go myself, but I cannot get my parents to take me back to the place where I was born. I am an adult and could go without them, but I just think it would be more special to have them there with me when I see it for the first time (that I will actually remember it I was 3 when we left). I know it will be very emotional for me since it has been a dream of mine for many years.

Our first cruise was to Alaska in 2000 and it was excellent, but most members of our family were not real beach lovers (although our 16 year old and 20 year old now prefer the warmer itineraries). We have since done Eastern, Western and Southern Caribbean, Norway, Bahamas and Hawaii (and booked on a Bermuda cruise next month). The Alaska cruise still stands out as one of the best. The scenery is spectacular (we did the helicopter ride to a glacier and the White Pass Railroad). Our only disappointment is that we did not see much wildlife (although I think you see more if you extend to the mainland). If you go in July, the weather is relatively warm and you get the "midnight sun."

It is an experience that should not be missed.

Archived