How do you use priceline/hotwire??

I posted this in Ports of Call also because we are looking for a hotel in San Juan leaving on Carnival Jan 27th 2008. Do you know what hotel your bidding on before hand??? I've never used them before and was wondering if I would save money on the hotel by doing it their way??

You are able to select your dates, a general area where you want to stay, and what class of hotel you are looking for (3 star, 4 star, etc) and then you provide the price you are willing to pay per night. Priceline will do a search and if they have something that meets your requirements, it's automatically booked (you must provide credit card info before the web site does the search).

We used Priceline for our cruise this coming Nov. So for example, I entered that I wanted at least a 3 star hotel, I wanted to be in downtown Miami (near the port), the date I wanted, and that I was willing to pay $100. The computer did it's search and came back that they didn't have anything that I was looking for but if I would pay $15 more, they could find something. So I resubmitted by bid for $115 and it came back with a 4 star hotel (even higher than I was looking for, so that was good). We ended up with the Hyatt in downtown Miami for $115 - and the last time I looked rooms were going for about $250 for the dates I needed.

I will definitely use Priceline again!

Check out www.betterbidding.com. It is another board that helps people get the best deals on Priceline and Hotwire. And no...you usually don't know which hotel it is before you bid. Although using Better Bidding you can sometimes narrow down which it might be. HTH.

I highly reccomend this board as well!! Also look for easy click travel when you get to the better bidding board. There are reverse look ups that allow you to fairly reasonably determine what hotel is being offered. We got the Intercontinental pre & post-cruise stays next month for $130 after taxes.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I've never understood the way Priceline works before. I know a few people who swear by them but I haven't gotten the hang of it.

Thanks for the info here, maybe I'll try them again. I usually call the hotel and book from them or go through the cruise line.

I agree with the biddingfortravel. It gives simple instructions and it lists the current hotels with star ratings. I've always gotten exactly what I expect to get.

Carol

I have been using Priceline for about 6 years or so. My husband prefers Hotwire because he finds the bidding process on Priceline a little overwelming. I find that Hotwire tends to over estimate the # of stars on it's hotels.

Initially, I got the nerve to try Priceline by reading the http://www.biddingfortravel.com message board. The fact that I was not going to be staying in the hotel- gave me more confidence. My husband and son were staying and they are not nearly as picky as me. I have only had 1 unsatisfacory experience with a hotel on Priceline. That happened because I was trying to keep the price really low because I was sharing with a friend, and I bid on a 2 1/2 star hotel. They "upgraded" us to a 3 star. There are a couple chains which I prefer to avoid in real life- they are both frequently 3 stars (Holiday Inn and Radisson). I am sure there are plenty of fine hotels in these chains, it has just been my experience that they are inconsistant. I would much rather stay in a 2 1/2 star Hamptin Inn than a 3 star HI or Rad.

I eliminate that risk by bidding on only 4 star places.

Good Luck to you!

Archived