OMG - I just paid for an upgrade to a Grand Suite!!!

cs

I can't believe it - what possesed me? I was thinking about upgrading to the JS but while I had her on the phone to upgrade I took the plunge. I so really want to try the GS and the perks that go with it. I hope I wont be disappointed. As you can tell already, this is my first GS.

Since it was the very last suite above a JS, we didn't have a choice in cabins. Please tell me we're going to be happy with this - 1548. Does anyone know anything about it?

And remind me again of the perks (so I don't feel so bad about doing this on impulse).

Oh wish me luck - I'm soooo very excited!!!

Oh sorry - Explorer of the Seas. I've never been in a Grand Suite before either. I've been in a suite on CCL but there's no perks - just a bigger cabin. I'm looking forward to 9 nights/10 days of pampering - woo hoo!!!

Oh sorry - Explorer of the Seas. I've never been in a Grand Suite before either. I've been in a suite on CCL but there's no perks - just a bigger cabin. I'm looking forward to 9 nights/10 days of pampering - woo hoo!!!

We did the same thing you just did 2 years ago on the Adventure of the Seas :) I totally understand why you wanted to try the GS. If you have never stayed in a suite, you are in for a nice surprise! For starters, the cabin itself is far beyond a standard balcony cabin - you will freak out when you see how much "space" the GS gives you, not to mention the bathroom...oh the bathroom!!! LOL You will have not one, but two sinks! A full size tub and shower combo and tons of space for at least 2 people getting ready for dinner at the same time ;) There is a bar area (not a wet bar) and the closets are mirrored behind the bar. You will have a DVD player in the cabin too (you can borrow DVD's from the Concierge Lounge which you will have access to just for being a guest in a GS!)

Do not second guess your decision, you will have a wonderful time in your Suite! :D

Hey Robyn! I've got a question for ya - I've got a Grand Suite booked for our upcoming cruise on the AOS and it's our wedding cruise and we want to have a cocktail party - is there enough room in the suite to fit 23 people mingling about? Or would that just be crazy? Just trying to figure out if I need to book it in one of the other lounges, but I thought it would be fun to have it in our room. Any input would help! Thanks! :D

Laura

Hi Laura, I'm not Robyn, but I have sailed in a GS on the Radiance before and I think you will have room for your friends. A little tight but not too bad at all.

CS, congrats! You will love it. We only go around this world once so enjoy it while you can! One of the best perks is the Concierge lounge. Cocktails, breakfasts, specialty coffee's. Plus he will make reservations for you at the specialty restaurants. He is usually very nice.

PS I used to live in Ocean County NJ years ago. Great area!

I haven't been on AOS, only Serenade, but we have had both GS and OS suites. I think the OS would be no problem, but it would be pretty darn crowded in the GS, even with 6-8 people on the balcony. That's just my impression, though. If you like these 23 people a whole lot, it could be lots of fun. :D

I can't believe it - what possesed me? I was thinking about upgrading to the JS but while I had her on the phone to upgrade I took the plunge. I so really want to try the GS and the perks that go with it. I hope I wont be disappointed. As you can tell already, this is my first GS.

Since it was the very last suite above a JS, we didn't have a choice in cabins. Please tell me we're going to be happy with this - 1548. Does anyone know anything about it?

And remind me again of the perks (so I don't feel so bad about doing this on impulse).

Oh wish me luck - I'm soooo very excited!!!

cs,

You'll love the suite, I'm sure of it. Just wait, though, until your next booking and that little voice inside your head says, "Go on, go for the OS!"

Buwhahahahahaahahaha!

Happy cruising,

Susan

Oh you're all awesome for the congrats - thank you so much.

Hello to my fellow Ocean Countyers (is that a word? lol).

If anyone has any pictures of the Explorer Grand Suites or knows anything worth mentioning please keep it coming. The more info the better. :)

Congratulations on your grand suite from another Ocean County, NJ resident. The best we've had is a junior suite, but love peeking in the real suites to see how the other half live.:) Plus, you will love the concierge lounge. Have a wonderful cruise.

Jodi

From one New Jersey-ite to another you will LOVE the concierge lounge.

One thing I discovered my last cruise in May was that to truly enjoy the CL you should have second seating dinner, only because you won't have to hurry before dinner to have a cocktail there. We have always had first seating and it was always rush, rush, rush to get to the CL so we could mingle with others, see the concierge, have a glass of wine or cocktail then run off to dinner.

This last cruise I was without DH and chose second seating and it was fantastic in relation to the CL. Met another couple (CC members) and we agreed it was by far better second seating especially in reference to the itinerary.

Now, if you don't have a port intensive cruise and getting back to the ship at 5 p.m. or so won't impact your access to the CL, then this doesn't apply,

Sorry for rambling but the CL is the bomb - you will love it!!

Good choice! You are going to have so much fun. My dad refuses to go in anything less than a suite after our first GS....but then again, he's also the type that sits in the cabin most of the day!

Deb154, I have to agree that having the second seating at dinner is much better in order enjoy the CL. It was very relaxing to go in and have drinks before dinner, talk with everyone and not have to rush. If it was getting close to dinner, the concierge on Adventure and Serenade would let us take our drinks with us to the dining room. We will be on Empress next month and they don't have a CL, but hey it's a cruise, I'll adjust.

Jodi

From one New Jersey-ite to another you will LOVE the concierge lounge.

One thing I discovered my last cruise in May was that to truly enjoy the CL you should have second seating dinner, only because you won't have to hurry before dinner to have a cocktail there.

I agree that it can be rushed if you go before first seating, but we found that you can also go to the concierge lounge after eating, to have that after-dinner drink. :)

That has the added advantage of allowing you to meet some people from the other (second) seating as well.

I should clarify - we didn't go to the lounge both before AND after dinner! Just once per evening, either before or after dinner.

I find it pretty fascinating that there are so many NJ folks who happen to have found the same thread :)

Congrats to the OP... I have never stayed in anything higher than a JS, but I think you made a wise choice considering the length of your 9 night cruise. Hope you will be able to settle for a smaller room in the future :D

Ya see.. I think it is a conspiracy.... like once ya get a balcony, you always want one, and once you book a suite, you always want one... etc.. I know it's a conspiracy...(LOL) j/k :D:eek:

Hey Robyn! I've got a question for ya - I've got a Grand Suite booked for our upcoming cruise on the AOS and it's our wedding cruise and we want to have a cocktail party - is there enough room in the suite to fit 23 people mingling about? Or would that just be crazy? Just trying to figure out if I need to book it in one of the other lounges, but I thought it would be fun to have it in our room. Any input would help! Thanks! :D

Laura

I think that you would be a little crowed in a Grand.

Yes, thanks so much for the picture. That balcony is huge! I'm so glad cause we spend a lot of time on the balcony.

Believe it or not, this is a trip for my sister and I. We do a "girls only" cruise every fall. The hubbys stay home and watch the kids. Last year it was 4 of us girls this year only the 2 of us. I don't mind having lots of room for 2 - it's better than triping over each other for sure.

Oh, I just can't wait. C'mon October....

We normally cruise on Celebrity and Silver Seas, however we really liked the itinerary on Adventure Of The Seas for their 7 night cruise on 8/31/2008. We booked Royal Suite 1620. This will be our first cruise on RCCL.

While we will not have a butler as we have on Celebrity, the idea of the CL is very appealing. Does anyone have any experience with this suite? After booking this suite, my wife had me look at the deck plans on AOS for the other Royal Suites - apparently there is only one! :D

We upgraded to, to cabin 1556 on Mariner. Can't wait. It is a lot of room for just the two of us who don't spend a lot of time in the room anyway, but I am spoiled that way. :D :D ;)

Archived