Dawn 6/16 ~ 6/23 - OK, it's a little late

2Cruise4Ever

Me, DH, DS (9), DD (4), MIL (82), FIL (86) had a very early Amtrak departure from Baltimore to NYC the day before and took in the sights of “Top of the Rock,” the observation deck of Rockefeller Center. The view was spectacular and the weather perfect. After dinner at the Holiday Inn Midtown on W57th street, we CRASHED!!! Now for the really good stuff: THE CRUISE!!!!

Chapter 1: Embarkation – Score-95%:

We engaged in a limo tour of Manhattan prior to embarkation at the pier, where we arrived at approximately 10:15 a.m. Thanks to a very friendly NCL rep, Jane, we were quickly ushered to the VIP waiting area upstairs after giving up our luggage to the handlers curbside. For the next hour or so, we enjoyed coffee, juice, pound cake, banana bread, chocolate bread, muffins, and more. The much anticipated boarding announcement for the VIP’s and Latitudes members occurred at about 11:30, Whoo hoooo!!! We made it through security, the check in process, pictures, etc. in less than 20 minutes. We met Claudio, our wonderfully attentive concierge just as we were giving up our passports at check in. Then, it happened: the stalking began :)!!! As we were taking our ID pics, I felt a tap on my shoulder, “2Cruise???” It was Karrie (KBCL) from our roll call (hi, Karrie :D)!!! We ran into her and her hubbie turn after turn after turn the rest of the week. We finally gave into their stalking (LOL) and invited them over to our cabin for happy hour one night. More on that later. After hugs, introductions, and the obligatory embarkation photo, we turned the corner and there she was! The Dawn! Her sparkling smile gleamed as if to say, “Welcome back! And Come Aboard!” One piece of familiarity embraced me: every NCL crew and staff member we glimpsed every day had an immediate smile and an inviting greeting. Ahhhh, we’re home!

Keeping with tradition, we could hear those strawberry daiquiris calling! So, we made our way to the pool bar and settled in (our cabins wouldn’t be ready until 2:00 ~ hence the lack of 100% on the score, but no biggie). Chris, our bar server couldn’t have been more efficient. “Keep ‘em coming!” the cash we slipped him exclaimed. Eagerness got the best of me around 1:15 so I ventured on a reconnaissance mission. With the Mission: Impossible theme playing in my head, I snuck down to the 11th deck. My mission, should I choose to accept it: discover the readiness state of our cabin. “This daiquiri will self-destruct in 30 seconds.” ;) Peering around the corner through the fire doors, not a cabin steward in sight. Shhhhh, I crept down the hallway, quietly slid my key card into the narrow slot and slowly skulked through the door. As I took in the view of our AB Penthouse, 11060, I was struck with awe. Everything was as I remembered: the second bedroom and bathroom immediately to my left invited, “your kids are safe with me!”; directly ahead, the dining/living area with table and 4 chairs, a small love seat and 2 more chairs, TV, tons and tons of shelves and cabinets, fridge, and coffee maker, “relax and enjoy,” It said; directly ahead of that was the……..SLAM!!!! :eek: After I peeled myself off the ceiling, I remembered, Oh, jees, I forgot how much noise that entry door makes. Well, my secret is out now. Better make the best of it. I whisked open the balcony door and took in the harbor breezes. “Should I pop open the champagne now?” I said out loud as I snuggled into one of the two chaise lounge chairs. Naaah, DH would kill me! “Do you think they’d notice if I ate one of the little goodies with which Claudio has greeted us?” More than likely, yes. “OK, well I guess I wouldn’t be able to hide the fact that the Absolut had already been opened. Not to mention a can of tonic, either.” “Oh, all right! I’ll go back and tell the others.” I begrudged to myself.

And, then......... Ya’ know that forgetful feeling you get when you arrive at your vacation destination? Did I turn off the oven? Did I not lock the front door? Something nagged at me as I opened the door to return to my party. What was it I forgot to do? I think I would have frightened even Jack the Ripper himself, jumping up in the air when I remembered what it was: take the fling-dingin’ pictures you dummy!!! I flew through the rest of the cabin, snapping pictures with great speed (to be posted this weekend): the master bedroom and bathroom beckoned me, “The gentle rocking of this great liner together with my comfort will lull you to sleep every night,” I imagined it saying. Yep, the shower stall still had too many knobs to figure out what did what! Oh, and that’s right: there’s a tv above the Jacuzzi tub. I will make much use out of that one, thank you! 2 robes, check; 2 sinks, check; 2 safes, check. Yesirree, everything was in working order and exactly where it was supposed to be. Oh, and did I mention storage, storage everywhere????? With a sigh of hominess, I quickly ran upstairs to grab the rest of my family......

Stay tuned for Chapter 2: Food, glorious food!!! :D

Archived