Can I get a bucket of beer on QM2?

jgsmuzzy

The problem is that beer does not seem the appropriate drink for Cunard. Now if they were to offer six bottles of Champagne for the price of five and advertised it as a Champagne Bucket I don't think there'd be any objections:)

I tried to get that idea going on the Crown Princess this spring. On embarkation day, there were waiters EVERYWHERE hawking those refillable soda mugs. I asked one guy if there might be a champagne version of this program. He looked at me as if I were from another planet, when in actuality, I was just straying from my usual cruise line. Perhaps he thought I was asking if they had some kind of soda he'd never heard of. Oh well, I tried.

I have nothing against beer. Well, not true. I have plenty against the bland American stuff they pack into those buckets. (Push me overboard if you ever see me with a bucket of Bud :eek: ) On Cunard, one should drink ale or stout, prefereably in the pub where such forms of alcohol seem appropriate (and are also on tap).

Question: Does Hyacinth get listed on Rollcalls?????

Another question: Will Friends of Hyacinth Bucket get together on board for a special candlelight supper?

Kathy

I will not be forced into carrying a beverage in the bucket that I do not want in there. Therefore, it will be beer. Not sure what type yet, that will be decided in January.

Muzzy, have you heard? Our bucket has a name--Hyacinth. By the time it reaches you it will have spent time in the Commodore Club, etc., being filled with the bottle(s) of choice. And if it's beer you like, then beer you ought to put in it when it's your turn. Cheers! :p

Muzzy, have you heard? Our bucket has a name--Hyacinth. By the time it reaches you it will have spent time in the Commodore Club, etc., being filled with the bottle(s) of choice. And if it's beer you like, then beer you ought to put in it when it's your turn. Cheers! :p

You WILL be painting "HYACINTH's BUCKET (or just Hyacinth) over the rolling rock, no? Or maybe on the other side, so as to not ruin it.

Maybe you could paint WADADLI on it!

Karie,

who needs to find the words to the song about it being election day on Antigua so no beer today. But he goes up the stairs and around the back and gets a case of Wadadli

Not sure, I think Jim Morris sang it, maybe.

Karie,

who needs to find the words to the song about it being election day on Antigua so no beer today.

We hit port this morning

Couldn't wait for the day to begin

And old Rico's surviving on stale bologna sandwiches

Waits for the ships to come in

CHORUS

All the bars were locked

But we continued to knock

Till we heard that bartender say

"You see it's election day

Here on Antigua, mon

There's no beer today

No, no, no, no beer today"

A man appeared from the alley

And said, "gentlemen come speak to me

I understand you've got a problem

I know somebody you ought to see"

Repeat Chorus

So he took us to his cousin named Rico

Who said, "Hey mon, what do you think"

Then he opened the door to his back room

And said, "Here's all the beer you can drink"

Repeat Chorus

So we sat on the beach with our contraband beer

And celebrated our good luck

We sipped on a case of Red Stripe

It only cost us fifty-five bucks

Repeat Chorus

Okay,

Well, you see it's like being a fan of Birmingham football. It could curdle your cream any day. So that's why he might always get up on the wrong side of the bed, you see!

Karie,

not very up in English football, but knows it isn't Man U!

:confused:

Matthew

Who is probably less well up on English football than Karie.....

You WILL be painting "HYACINTH's BUCKET (or just Hyacinth) over the rolling rock, no? Or maybe on the other side, so as to not ruin it.

Maybe you could paint WADADLI on it!

Karie,

who needs to find the words to the song about it being election day on Antigua so no beer today. But he goes up the stairs and around the back and gets a case of Wadadli

Not sure, I think Jim Morris sang it, maybe.

I think it's fine the way it is. Besides, putting Hyacinth on the bucket would spoil the inside joke-ness of the whole thing. It's a secret society, remember? :cool:

I think it's fine the way it is. Besides, putting Hyacinth on the bucket would spoil the inside joke-ness of the whole thing. It's a secret society, remember? :cool:

How about taping/glueing/decoupaging a picture of a hyacinth (flower, not Mrs. B) onto the bucket?

Kathy

Hi Angela, a bit off topic, BUT...is Mr Wadadli out of Coventry yet?? He hasn't tiptoed through P&O Australia to say hi. Just wanted to know if he has recovered from his ordeal of being outcasted.

We have two cc ers who have been counselling our outcasts and seem to be making headway!!

Sorry for the interruption!!

Cheers

Kaz

Mr. Wadadli says he's fine and still in...and it was a whirlwind of a week end! He seems recovered and informs me he is allowed in the forum. I'll inform him he needs to say Hi to the un-outcasted. I do believe he fancies himself to be an Aussie, or at least he feels like one of you all. The P&O Australia board makes him feel right at home. Interpret that as you like. :p

How about taping/glueing/decoupaging a picture of a hyacinth (flower, not Mrs. B) onto the bucket?

Kathy

Hmm. Maybe? I was definitely thinking of putting Mrs. Hyacinth Bucket/CC Cunarders on the bottom, just in case there was another, similar bucket taken onboard and we wouldn't want to get them confused.

Mr. Wadadli says he's fine and still in...and it was a whirlwind of a week end! He seems recovered and informs me he is allowed in the forum. I'll inform him he needs to say Hi to the un-outcasted. I do believe he fancies himself to be an Aussie, or at least he feels like one of you all. The P&O Australia board makes him feel right at home. Interpret that as you like. :p

I'm trying to remember the exact word you used of Paul's excursions with the Wadlidi2 ID........

You want to remind me?

;)

Matthew

:D

I'm trying to remember the exact word you used of Paul's excursions with the Wadlidi2 ID........

You want to remind me?

;)

Matthew

:D

lol. Sure, but I'll whisper it so as not to attract attention...Troll...:eek:

BTW, he's gotten much better now that he feels kindred spirits with the Aussie team. And me begging him not to post certain things. That works a little.

OTOH, he's been typing away all afternoon, and I've no idea where the messages are going! Sigh. The site/message board software needs some kind of emoticon or signal to know where they have gone...perhaps a little picture of some smoke and flames? Do you have any of those on that special site of yours with the funny little smiley guys?

PS: I've just been informed there is further news. See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=592477

Hi Angela, a bit off topic, BUT...is Mr Wadadli out of Coventry yet?? He hasn't tiptoed through P&O Australia to say hi. Just wanted to know if he has recovered from his ordeal of being outcasted.

We have two cc ers who have been counselling our outcasts and seem to be making headway!!

Sorry for the interruption!!

Cheers

Kaz

Kaz!

Mr. Wadadli has finally fessed up and informed me that he is (THANKFULLY!) now Piton1 and is alive and well with his fellow adopted Aussies. He's the one asking you about Beer, if you remember that one.

Turns out he did get banninated for 24 hours, along with the others. Honor amongst thieves, or something like that. He's new to the world of Internet message boards and had a rough time settling in. You all on the P&O board were so friendly and welcoming to the poor dear that I hope we all meet some day, so I can thank you for your kindness. All I've done is pull out my hair and howl because his previous name was almost mine and I was getting the bad rap.

I will continue to offer him guidance and support with spelling. And I admit I showed him the Safari Suit (women's) on a web site. :o

And when we meet we'll have some kind of femented beverage we all like, yes?

Hyacinth Bucket sounds like a perfect name.

(I have to admit that when I read the "friends of" post, I nearly ruined my keyboard with my morning coffee!

It would be wonderful if "Mrs. Bucket" could make it on a cruise. I wonder how she would manage to find herself seated at the Captain's table, with a bucket of beer slung over her arm?:)

Will the bucket live in the Commodore Club on change over day? We will have to leave the next "owners" name for the bar staff. Somehow we will have to have a list of what was in the bucket. Possibly a marker pen in the bucket then we can write names and details of booze consumed on it. We absolutely have to get it into the daily programme.

Any chance of the bucket making it over here before September? There would be a massive meeting of FOH on the QE2.

Will the bucket live in the Commodore Club on change over day? We will have to leave the next "owners" name for the bar staff. Somehow we will have to have a list of what was in the bucket. Possibly a marker pen in the bucket then we can write names and details of booze consumed on it.

I have a feeling that the use of the bucket (and consumption of its contents) could be so extensive that that there would soon be no room to write. Perhaps "Hyacinth" could be equipped with a diary in which her details could be recorded?

Any chance of the bucket making it over here before September? There would be a massive meeting of FOH on the QE2.

Lex, if you want to get me a cabin then I'd be happy to bring it over to you and the QE2. You do realise this is an actual bucket that is currently sitting in my dining room, yes? And that I won't be sailing on the QM2 until next month, where the bucket will presumably end up?

hmm, do you think we can keep this going until we get on in January? All it takes is someone to drop the baton, and all will be lost. The bucket will be rebranded "Cunard" and will be filled with paint to decorate the railings on 7 deck.

Who is on the ship when you get off, that might be a good custodian?

J

Cornus is on the 4th September transatlantic, going on to the QE2 for the 40th Anniversary tour of the UK.

I am going to ask him whether he will look after the bucket over the Atlantic.

J

hmm, do you think we can keep this going until we get on in January? All it takes is someone to drop the baton, and all will be lost. The bucket will be rebranded "Cunard" and will be filled with paint to decorate the railings on 7 deck.

J

I'm sure the Commodore Club would assist - they're very obliging and I think half their profits come from Cruise Critic!

Matthew

I am hoping for a coup here. There is a chap on the 40th Anniversary tour of the UK on QM2. He is leaving the ship in Liverpool to travel back to Southampton, back to QM2. Hopefully he will take the bucket back after it's brief soujourn on the QE2.

Lex, if you want to get me a cabin then I'd be happy to bring it over to you and the QE2. You do realise this is an actual bucket that is currently sitting in my dining room, yes? And that I won't be sailing on the QM2 until next month, where the bucket will presumably end up?

mmm Nice dining room decor.

Does Rolling Rock Bucket go well with Louis Quatorze?

Karie,

Enquiring minds want to know!

J

Actually, Muzzy, I was thinking of taking it back home after the holiday trip to Halifax, and not leaving it onboard officially until you get onboard on 13th January, when I know for sure someone who is in on this will be there. If you can think of others who wish to be part of the bucket brigade they need to know.

We'll be able to leave it in the Commodore Club, won't we? For the next group/meeting of FOH?

Archived