Anyone had 5 people in a cabin?

shhhhh

Looking for info from anyone who has had five people in their cabin...

My husband, me, 6 year-old twins, and a 2 year-old...obviously we want to keep the kids in the room with us since they are so young. However, I am wondering how cramped we will be. (I suspect VERY cramped)

We will probably be on the Holiday or Fantasy. Any descriptions or advice would be greatly appreciated. PICTURES of the cabin's interior would be terrific!

Thanks so much!

hlank4d@yahoo.com

We had 5 people in our cabin on the Triumph in February. It is cramped but can be done. Since your kids are so small if you can get 2 to share a bed that would definitely save space. You wouldn't need the rollaway cot which is what takes up the most room. We spent so little time in the cabin that it didn't really matter.

I don't think they will let more than 4 in a cabin - unless you book a family suite - I don't think the older / smaller ships have them.

You might book two connecting rooms and keep the door open between them.

Try booking on Carnival's website just to get an ideal.

We checked about the Holiday & the don't have adjoining rooms. That would have been our first choice. They will allow 5 in an inside cabin, but this option isn't available for ocean view rooms. ????

QUESTION: If there are 5 in a room, does the 5th person typically just get a cot to sleep on?

We've done 5 in a cabin on Victory with older kids (first time they were 13, 8 and 4, second time they were 15, 10 and 6). We had DH and I with the bed, one son on a sofabed, one in the pull-down bunk, and one on a rollaway. While it is cramped, it's doable. Our youngest always slept on the rollaway and was perfectly comfortable.

Looking for info from anyone who has had five people in their cabin...

My husband, me, 6 year-old twins, and a 2 year-old...obviously we want to keep the kids in the room with us since they are so young. However, I am wondering how cramped we will be. (I suspect VERY cramped)

We will probably be on the Holiday or Fantasy. Any descriptions or advice would be greatly appreciated. PICTURES of the cabin's interior would be terrific!

Thanks so much!

hlank4d@yahoo.com

We had DH, myself, two 11 year olds and our 3 year old in our room on board the Paradise. We had plenty of room. The kids thought it was great having the bunks. I had some of the best nights sleep on that cruise. We will be having five on our room again on board the Elation in Nov. of 08.

We checked about the Holiday & the don't have adjoining rooms. That would have been our first choice. They will allow 5 in an inside cabin, but this option isn't available for ocean view rooms. ????

QUESTION: If there are 5 in a room, does the 5th person typically just get a cot to sleep on?

Yes, there was a cot for our 3 year old. Actually it really was just the mattress on the floor. She slept great on it. I was worried at first she would not sleep there (she likes to sleep with me) but she loved it. We had a great time with all of us together in that cabin.

We just got back from 4 day on Fantasy with five in our room. We had a Cat 12 room, so it was bigger than most, but it wasn't too terrible with five people. Plus our five people were all grown.....my mom, my 17 y/o sister, me (26) and my two best friends (26 and 29). I have pics that I can send to your email if you want me to, I don't know how many I have of a full view with all our stuff in it though. OHHHH, and our driver to and from the ship told us he had NEVER seen anyone travel with all the luggage we had....hehe. So if we big people can do it, you can do it with your little ones for sure!!!

Nichole :-)

We had 5 in an inside stateroom on the Celebration in April... my DH, myself, 13 yr. old, 7 year old, and 5 year old. They had a smaller mattress on the floor which my 5 year old slept on, My DH and I in the lower berths(queen size configuration) and the 13 and 7 year old in the upper berths. It worked well. They close up the upper berths during the day, unless you ask them not to, which we had them leave one open for naps. I hit my head twice on the upper berth at the foot of the queen twice during the night. Ouch! The bathroom can be tricky, so we had to enforce the quick shower rule. It also helped to keep the room picked up and organized at all times. This many people in one stateroom would probably get tiresome on a longer cruise, but it was fine on our 5 night cruise. You also might consider bringing a fan or some other form of "white noise" so you can function in the room without waking the little ones. I also had a couple of mesh hanging organizers to help keep the clutter up in the bathroom, shower, and vanity area. :)

We've done five in a room in our past three cruises: Ecstasy, Elation, and Victory. It's tough, as the world seems to be set up for two adults, two children...anyone who strays from the norm pays a big premium. But I like that Carnival (at least on the older ships, anyway) is one of the few lines that allows you to keep 5 in a standard room.

Others have described the set up, so I won't add to that.

Here are a few tips to make things easier:

-- Don't know if your kids can fall asleep in the same room - ours have separate bedrooms at home, so especially for the boys (who are 2 years apart), hotel rooms and cruise ships were like a big slumber party...lots of giggling, silliness going on). It helped if one adult stayed in the cabin and put one or two of the kids to bed, then the other came in after the first kids were asleep.

-- Make use of the gym showers with the 6-year-olds, especially on formal nite.

-- Bribery is not only completely repugnant, it's absolutely necessary with this age group! ;-) Point out that if they don't behave in the cabin, there will be no ice cream or whatever their favorite thing is on a cruise.

Happy sailing!

Laura

We've done five in a room in our past three cruises: Ecstasy, Elation, and Victory. It's tough, as the world seems to be set up for two adults, two children...anyone who strays from the norm pays a big premium. But I like that Carnival (at least on the older ships, anyway) is one of the few lines that allows you to keep 5 in a standard room.

Others have described the set up, so I won't add to that.

Here are a few tips to make things easier:

-- Don't know if your kids can fall asleep in the same room - ours have separate bedrooms at home, so especially for the boys (who are 2 years apart), hotel rooms and cruise ships were like a big slumber party...lots of giggling, silliness going on). It helped if one adult stayed in the cabin and put one or two of the kids to bed, then the other came in after the first kids were asleep.

-- Make use of the gym showers with the 6-year-olds, especially on formal nite.

-- Bribery is not only completely repugnant, it's absolutely necessary with this age group! ;-) Point out that if they don't behave in the cabin, there will be no ice cream or whatever their favorite thing is on a cruise.

Happy sailing!

Laura

Laura, your experience sounds eerily familiar. Especially at the beginning of the cruise when everyones still pretty fresh, my kids have a hard time settling down in the slumber party atmosphere of everyone in the same room. Things quiet down a bit by the end of the cruise when everyone is tired and my 5 year old can hardly stay awake for dinner. :)

We had 5 in an oceanview room on the Triumph a couple years ago. Two teenage boys, myself (21 at the time), and my mom and aunt (both 40 somethings). It was tight in the evenings, but we didn't spend a whole lot of time in the room anyway. The only time it was a pain was when getting ready for the formal dinner, which is why we ate in the dinning room only once!

It can be done, but like other posters said, it's tight!

I don't think they will let more than 4 in a cabin - unless you book a family suite - I don't think the older / smaller ships have them.

You might book two connecting rooms and keep the door open between them.

Try booking on Carnival's website just to get an ideal.

The older ships are the ones that ALLOW 5 in a cabin.

I believe the Conquest and Spirit class ships do not allow 5 in a cabin, but they do have the adjoining cabins.

My oldest was booked in my mom's cabin, but she slept wtih us. My kids were 11, 6, and almost 3 at the time. It was very doable and I would not hesitate doing it again. The key is organization. We unpacked into the drawers. We used our suitcase under the bed for dirty laundry. We had 2 twins on floor, and 2 upper bunks. I slept wtih almost 3 YO in my bed, 6 and 11 YO on upper bunks, and dh on other bottom twin. Just gotta keep things in "their place".

I believe the last time this was tried, the parents divorced the day of disembarkation...;)

There were moments - like when then-15 YO woke up feeling ill at 3:30 am and spent the next hour in the bathroom.:eek: Of course, DH slept through most of it, as did the other kids.

hey nola. could you email me the pics? thanks madaamt@verizon.net

We just got back from 4 day on Fantasy with five in our room. We had a Cat 12 room, so it was bigger than most, but it wasn't too terrible with five people. Plus our five people were all grown.....my mom, my 17 y/o sister, me (26) and my two best friends (26 and 29). I have pics that I can send to your email if you want me to, I don't know how many I have of a full view with all our stuff in it though. OHHHH, and our driver to and from the ship told us he had NEVER seen anyone travel with all the luggage we had....hehe. So if we big people can do it, you can do it with your little ones for sure!!!

Nichole :-)

Archived