Euro Travelers Cheques

Kacruiser

I am told by a travel writer in my town, who travels often, he only uses his CC/debit..I ckd w.my bank, for a $25.35 US,purchase, it was only a .25 cents chg..no ser chg for me...AAA members dont pay a fee..but hvnt ckd on Eur cks....I watch the exchange rater every day..it has risen from US$ 1.337, to today almost $1.38 in less than a month...If you want to buy, watch the exchange rate and buy when low..course it's always a gamble. I will just use my card, and my pal will give me "running money" in exchange for buying the dinner..so when I use card. I know it's only a tiny charge..1 0/0 .

I'm going to London in August. I have been on several sites and they all say use ATM or credit cards. It seems many merchants won't accept Travelers cheques in euros or pounds. I've had a heck of a time even getting them since I bank at a small bank and no other bank wanted anything to do with me unless I joined that bank.

Hi,

Last year we ended up bringing most of our euro travellers cheques back to Canada with us.

We couldn't find a vendor that would take them. I managed to use 1 or 2 to pay for our private excursions, other than that I'm glad we didn't rely on them. No one wanted them.

I was also disappointed in the limited hours that the exchange desk was open on the Freedom this year. When it was open the line up's snaked around the corridors.

I brought cash with me and just kept it in the room safe only taking out what we would need for that day.

You'll have a great time on the Freedom, you chose a good time of year to travel. Enjoy :)

Thanks for the feed back, looks like I won't get Euro Travelers Checks. I don't want the hassle of trying to find merchants that will take them. We are arriving in Italy 3 days before the cruise and I'm so nervous about all of the pick pockets I keep reading about. We have money belts, any other suggestions.

trip on my own in Apr '08..I will wear my neck lanyard under my shirt/top (the soft canvas cruise one) with cc, a few euros, copy of pp, and rm key..a few girly things in an old tote bag, faded n worn..so if it parts w/ me..they'll just get a klipstick, tissues, sm map, and my $5 rubber watch..I look like an old student, or local. I do take one of those fishnet shopping bags in it , buy an apple, and put any nice thing in an old brown paper bag that( I take too. )I only buy nice post cards anymore, 'cause after 20 trips abroad, I don't need more photos of churches. But I do take candids in safe places. only a few tho, and stash camers in my..ahem bra..it's big/small enuff :D

ATM's are the cheapest and easiest way for an American to spend money in the Euro zone. You will need to check with your bank/credit union etc. and make sure you have a card that will be accepted by European ATM systems. You should ask what fees are charged. They can vary greatly from one institution to another.

Archived