Why a set curfew for teens?

I was recently on the Mariner last week with my two daughters of 14 and 18. My oldest I didn't have to worry about because she didn't go to the teen facilities, but my youngest didn't. From what I saw, I didn't really see a curfew on the boat. One night, I decided to go down to the Cafe Promenade for a snack at about 1:20 a.m. and I saw plenty of teenagers still awake and kicking, and the security guards didn't do anything about it.

I'm not saying we should let our teens run wild, but I think that their curfews should be where the parents come in. I know that the adults want a week to themselves without worrying about their kids, but it wouldn't hurt to take a minute at the least to set a time with their kids of when to get back. My daughters usually came in from 1:30 to 1:45 and always in one piece.

Not all teenagers are wreckless and crazy, but if there is, then it should be under the responsibility of the adult. If not the adults, then the security guards could put the situation under control. Have I ever had a situation with drunken, wreckless adults? Yes. Have I ever had a situation with wreckless teens? Less often than drunken adults. Have I ever had a situation with drunken, wrecken young adults/teenagers? No.

That's just my personal experience. What about you?

I'm sorry, but if parents want a week to themselves, they need to leave the kids at home. The ship crew and other passengers are not onboard to take responsibility for someone else's kids. Parents on a cruise with their kids need to be parents. Period. Give the kids more freedom (as they get older and show they can be trusted)? You bet. Let them just "go" for the duration so that the parents can have a vacation from parenting? No way. And it's exactly why the cruise lines sometimes feel the need to enforce curfews--because some parents go on the ships and then figure "it's a ship, I don't have to be responsible for my kids." It boggles my mind. Do parents really think that just because it's a ship that the risks of everyday life disappear? It's a small town with all different kinds of people. I wouldn't have let our DD run wild at 3 am at home when she was a teenager, and I wouldn't have let her do so on a ship.

I also think it's pointless to go back and forth with who's got the "most" stories about bad/reckless/drunk adults versus bad/reckless/drunk kids. There are some of both. Saying "well, I've seen bad behavior from adults" doesn't excuse it in teens. Parents are supposed to be resonsible for and in charge of their kids. Teens simply do not have the life experiences or maturity to make the smartest decisions, especially when they're at the "indestructible" age. Granted, not all adults make smart choices either. But the point is teens need guidance so that when they are adults, they aren't the ones getting drunk and acting stupid.

beachchick

Why does Royal Caribbean have a set curfew for teens? IMHO I see adults cause more trouble/havoc late at night then teens. I have many stories about adults... and many about teens, but I think the adult stories out number the teen ones. Many times all the teens want to do is sit around and talk, remember they only have 3, 4, 7 etc... days on the ship. Why not let them be able to spend as much time as they can with there new friends or anyone they met. I can understand if there guardian wants to set a curfew for there teens, but not RCCL. I know many of you are gonna say, well they press buttons on the elevators, make to much noise, get drunk and disrespect many people. Then why not take down there room numbers, send them to there rooms or enforce some sort of discipline on them if they are caught doing anything like that (its not hard to miss) rather then spoiling it for all the other teens who aren't doing anything wrong?

Thats my opinion on the matter, just wondering if anyone knows RCCL reasons behind the matter, I know carnival has no curfew, and I don't believe the behavior of teens on Carnival ships is much different then that on RCCL ships.

Alas, but if ever we adults become as clever as you teens perhaps we'll see the light.

As the OP pointed out there are cruise lines that don't have a curfew--and if you are indeed as well behaved and mature as you seem in your posts then you will understand that the curfew is a rule and that when you (or your parents) sign the cruise contract you agree to abide by those rules

its as simple as that

jmho

Paul

I don't think a teen curfew is all that different from any other policy a cruise line sets. Just because someone is paying for a cruise doesn't mean they are free to do whatever they please while they are on the ship.

Here's an example...I am an adult and a paying customer, yet I can no longer bring my own wine aboard and pay a corkage fee to enjoy a good bottle of wine with a meal. Is drinking wine illegal? No, (well, at least not at my age!:rolleyes:) but if I want to drink my own wine I have to do it at home or on a cruise line with less restrictive policies. I can either adapt to the policy or take my business elsewhere. I may not like it any more than teens like the curfew, but I have to live with it.

The simple fact is teen curfews, liquor policies, etc. are business decisions RCI has made and if we want to cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship we need to follow the policies.

Its funny though, because as paying customers, we have a curfew of 1am. I think that is a bit ridiculous. I go to bed at home on some nights at 1am!! Its vacation, we should be free to do what we want. I will be turning 18 at the end of November but will be in college in New York City, living on campus. If I go on a cruise before my birthday, I think its pretty pathetic that they would make a college student go to bed at 1am. Just think about that!!!! I'm not trying to start anything, I just think that it is so unbelievably unfair!!!

I was just on the Explorer for nine nights as a graduation present from high school. Every night at 1 (sometimes even earlier), I would get yelled at by the security guards telling me to go back to my cabin. Sometimes they would come in packs and surround me when all I was doing was enjoying some pizza in the cafe promenade or laying out on a deck chair talking quietly with other teens.

I know there will always be the close-minded people that think all teens are grouped into one category... the teens that push all of the buttons, scream, get drunk, and play knock and run. Thats not all of us!! Give us a chance!! It really is VERY frustrating!!

Wow, thanks for letting me vent.

Unfortunately because of problems lately you are all grouped together.Teen drinking with carried on booze has become a major problem for cruise lines. large groups at spring break have also been a problem. I am a grandmother and great grandmother but I fully understand your frustration.It doesn't seem fair to punish all for the faults of a few. I do not have an answer,just hang in there and conduct yourself as well as I think you have in the past.I know this isn't much help but you have my vote.

Do you think they get more complaints about the behavior of teens and kids or adults? Hmmmm! Gee, let me think. That's a real hard one.:rolleyes:

Do you think you're more likely to be the victim of a crime on a ship during the day or in the middle of the night when most people are in bed? Gee . . another stumper! :rolleyes:

Have I ever been next to a cabin of drunken adults yelling and carrying on at 3 a.m.? Nope. Have I ever been next to a cabin of college students with teens going in and out at all hours and yelling and carrying on at 3 a.m. YES! It was, in fact, on the Rhapsody, and when we reported seeing these same college kids buying alcohol and giving it to underage kids, we were told they were trying to catch who was doing that. The residents in that cabin were male, and their guests who we saw them give alcohol to were female. Those high school girls didn't have enough sense to stay out of that cabin of drunk college boys.

Now, just maybe it's not all about the way high school teens conduct themselves. Maybe it's about keeping teens in general safe. Maybe it's about keeping them from running and giggling down the halls at 2 a.m.

Maybe their staff need to sleep rather than policing the ship preventing vandalism, theft, or injury. The common theme in the passengers overboard would seem to be that it's night, so no one knows they are gone.

Maybe the rest of us (and I have teens) don't really feel any sympathy about the 1 a.m. curfew but feel there are ample hours in the day for teens and everyone else to enjoy vacation. If 1 a.m. cuts your day too short, then you can watch a movie in your cabin or read. Now I know this is just over the top, but you could try getting out of bed earlier and gain hours that way.

If these college students were buying alcohol for minors, then they would not be part of the curfew anyway, they are adults, and if the minors were in a cabin, they have complied with curfew

I'm sorry, but if parents want a week to themselves, they need to leave the kids at home. The ship crew and other passengers are not onboard to take responsibility for someone else's kids. Parents on a cruise with their kids need to be parents. Period. Give the kids more freedom (as they get older and show they can be trusted)? You bet. Let them just "go" for the duration so that the parents can have a vacation from parenting? No way. And it's exactly why the cruise lines sometimes feel the need to enforce curfews--because some parents go on the ships and then figure "it's a ship, I don't have to be responsible for my kids." It boggles my mind. Do parents really think that just because it's a ship that the risks of everyday life disappear? It's a small town with all different kinds of people. I wouldn't have let our DD run wild at 3 am at home when she was a teenager, and I wouldn't have let her do so on a ship.

I also think it's pointless to go back and forth with who's got the "most" stories about bad/reckless/drunk adults versus bad/reckless/drunk kids. There are some of both. Saying "well, I've seen bad behavior from adults" doesn't excuse it in teens. Parents are supposed to be resonsible for and in charge of their kids. Teens simply do not have the life experiences or maturity to make the smartest decisions, especially when they're at the "indestructible" age. Granted, not all adults make smart choices either. But the point is teens need guidance so that when they are adults, they aren't the ones getting drunk and acting stupid.

beachchick

My sentiments as well! Either go on vacation alone or go with your kids. Don't go with your kids to be alone! Sheesh! :mad: :mad:

What can be done after 1:00 AM, that you can't do before? I raised four very successful children, and they all had curfews, and they were much earlier than 1:00 AM. Maybe this is why today when you p/u the paper, so many young adults are being arrested and/or murdered, because parents just let their kids roam the streets until all hours of the night! I hope RCI continues their CURFEW rules, and enforces them!

Why does Royal Caribbean have a set curfew for teens? IMHO I see adults cause more trouble/havoc late at night then teens. I have many stories about adults... and many about teens, but I think the adult stories out number the teen ones. Many times all the teens want to do is sit around and talk, remember they only have 3, 4, 7 etc... days on the ship. Why not let them be able to spend as much time as they can with there new friends or anyone they met. I can understand if there guardian wants to set a curfew for there teens, but not RCCL. I know many of you are gonna say, well they press buttons on the elevators, make to much noise, get drunk and disrespect many people. Then why not take down there room numbers, send them to there rooms or enforce some sort of discipline on them if they are caught doing anything like that (its not hard to miss) rather then spoiling it for all the other teens who aren't doing anything wrong? .

Unfortunatly, this would only start a new set of problems. Parents of kids who do cause problems and get in trouble will start saying stuff like "not my kid they are angels." Also, they will accuse the cruise line of discriminating against thier kid as other kids were suppose ably doing the same thing their kid was accused of and did not get in trouble. Thus if you tried this form of enforcement you will get a lot of parents suing the cruise lines. That is why it is just easier to make a curfew and just enforce it on everyone.

I also agree that it is to protect you against adults and putting you in a bad situation. I do know I went on Carnival with our church youth group and we set our own curfew of 1am. Even by 11:30 on Carnival we never let the kids walk around alone becuase of all the drunk people. We did have one girl get followed and another one that was touched by a drunk guy as she was trying to get back to her room. (BTW she wasn't alone either)

Just my 2 cents

Im glad you included the part where i said im not saying they dont exist:rolleyes:

Quick Google search and I'm seeing Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus, OH, Dallas, Indianapolis, Washington, DC and Anchorage, AK as well as Houston. These are all major cities, I'm a bit surprised you'd be so unaware that curfews like this exist (esp when a quick Google search can turn up a quick answer).

Curfews

Ship’s management reserves the right to enact curfews on an individual, group, or ship-wide basis, if in the sole judgment of the ship’s Captain, such steps become necessary to ensure guest or crew safety.

So it applies to anyone - not just a teen !!

jj.....

Thats true, but teens have a curfew on rccl before they even step on the ship, even if they do not misbehave, this is not true for adults.

I don't think a teen curfew is all that different from any other policy a cruise line sets. Just because someone is paying for a cruise doesn't mean they are free to do whatever they please while they are on the ship.

Here's an example...I am an adult and a paying customer, yet I can no longer bring my own wine aboard and pay a corkage fee to enjoy a good bottle of wine with a meal. Is drinking wine illegal? No, (well, at least not at my age!:rolleyes:) but if I want to drink my own wine I have to do it at home or on a cruise line with less restrictive policies. I can either adapt to the policy or take my business elsewhere. I may not like it any more than teens like the curfew, but I have to live with it.

The simple fact is teen curfews, liquor policies, etc. are business decisions RCI has made and if we want to cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship we need to follow the policies.

Excellent analogy.

However on the other side of the coin...one can protest the rules, the company may change them if they see merit in the protest.

My town has a curfew, and I wouldn't view any differently than on the ship. It's nice to threaten my teen that if she gets busted for curfew, I will let the local PD arrange a nice sleepover for her. She thinks twice about that. When I was a teen, there was only a curfew during Halloween night. I can remember sneaking out of the house with friends having harmless fun, but it never occurred to us what could have happened to us by somebody not so nice.

Why does Royal Caribbean have a set curfew for teens? IMHO I see adults cause more trouble/havoc late at night then teens. I have many stories about adults... and many about teens, but I think the adult stories out number the teen ones. Many times all the teens want to do is sit around and talk, remember they only have 3, 4, 7 etc... days on the ship. Why not let them be able to spend as much time as they can with there new friends or anyone they met. I can understand if there guardian wants to set a curfew for there teens, but not RCCL. I know many of you are gonna say, well they press buttons on the elevators, make to much noise, get drunk and disrespect many people. Then why not take down there room numbers, send them to there rooms or enforce some sort of discipline on them if they are caught doing anything like that (its not hard to miss) rather then spoiling it for all the other teens who aren't doing anything wrong?

Thats my opinion on the matter, just wondering if anyone knows RCCL reasons behind the matter, I know carnival has no curfew, and I don't believe the behavior of teens on Carnival ships is much different then that on RCCL ships.

Simple: Whether you want to admit it or not, compared to adults, a larger percentage of teens are involved in trouble-making behavior. Despite the fact that teens make up a small percentage of the passengers on the ship, you hear a large number of negative stories about them. This certainly doesn't absolve the adults from their poor choices, but in general they aren't causing as much trouble.

Perhaps the perception that teens cause more trouble comes from the fact that they're more easily identifiable. Perhaps it's because teens tend to congregate in larger numbers than adults. Perhaps it's because many of them are drinking for the first time, and they aren't handling it well. But there's some truth to the stereotype.

I agree that it'd be a good idea to catch the trouble-makers in the act, return them to their cabin, and reprimand them (and their parents) the next day; however, that's time-consuming -- a curfew solves some of the problems with little effort on the part of the cruise line.

Keep in mind that a curfew doesn't mean you have to stop having fun, and it doesn't mean you even have to go to bed -- it just means you can't be in the public areas of the ship.

it all starts at home..... if you give them "rules" and "curfews" at home; why allow them to act or disobey those rules when they are on vacation.

i am a mother of 2 (now 13 and 16).. i will be giving my boys both curfew and rules to follow when they are on board... they were raised to respect others and not break the laws..

again......it all starts at home.

i do agree w/some of the younger posters that say .. not every teen is bad, but unfortunately, 1 bad apple-spoils the bunch; and as several posters say.......it is for your own protection......

My daughter was 18 on our last cruise and in college and I still gave her a curfew. Just because I may trust her, I do not trust other passengers or the crew. I alway made sure she was in the cabin before I went to sleep. I also did not want her grumpy the next day when we did excursions.

Do you think they get more complaints about the behavior of teens and kids or adults? Hmmmm! Gee, let me think. That's a real hard one.:rolleyes:

Do you think you're more likely to be the victim of a crime on a ship during the day or in the middle of the night when most people are in bed? Gee . . another stumper! :rolleyes:

Have I ever been next to a cabin of drunken adults yelling and carrying on at 3 a.m.? Nope. Have I ever been next to a cabin of college students with teens going in and out at all hours and yelling and carrying on at 3 a.m. YES! It was, in fact, on the Rhapsody, and when we reported seeing these same college kids buying alcohol and giving it to underage kids, we were told they were trying to catch who was doing that. The residents in that cabin were male, and their guests who we saw them give alcohol to were female. Those high school girls didn't have enough sense to stay out of that cabin of drunk college boys.

Now, just maybe it's not all about the way high school teens conduct themselves. Maybe it's about keeping teens in general safe. Maybe it's about keeping them from running and giggling down the halls at 2 a.m.

Maybe their staff need to sleep rather than policing the ship preventing vandalism, theft, or injury. The common theme in the passengers overboard would seem to be that it's night, so no one knows they are gone.

Maybe the rest of us (and I have teens) don't really feel any sympathy about the 1 a.m. curfew but feel there are ample hours in the day for teens and everyone else to enjoy vacation. If 1 a.m. cuts your day too short, then you can watch a movie in your cabin or read. Now I know this is just over the top, but you could try getting out of bed earlier and gain hours that way.

I rarely every quote an entire post, but yours is EXCELLENT, Travelitis! To all the sensible, responsible, completely mature teens that may read it, take heed! Even in our brightest and best foresight and prudence is not your strong-suit. Those restrictions you resent are there for your protection as much as they are for our convenience. Many a young person (myself included; back in the day:o ) has been kept from harm by seemingly unfair limits on freedom. One of our main goals as parents, organizations and society in general is to keep you SAFE long enough for you to be grown up and do what you want...

Happy (and safe) Sails,

Annette

When you are at home or at school- even college- you have rules to follow. Which by the way, so do adults. Maybe not curfew, but adults do have rules to follow. When you go on a cruise, you are on vacation. That doesn't mean you are on vacation from following rules. This is a fact of life. And to say that not every teen is looking for trouble, while it may be accurate, it doesn't matter. Unfortunately, life is far from fair. Yes, there are good kids out there. There is still a curfew. That's the way it is. The sooner that you accept the fact that there will always be rules to follow, even as an adult, the sooner you can get on with following the rules and having fun. And I think you will discover the rules really don't take away from any fun you will have. And if they do detract from your fun, convince your parents (or whomever is footing the bill) to cruise with a curfew-less company.

BTW, I think a 1 A.M. curfew is late. Even in Las Vegas, curfew for minors is midnight on weekends and 10 mid week. Well, 10 on the strip on weekends as well.

What is that saying? "Hurry! Move out now while you still know everything!":rolleyes:

I guess the question truly is "what exactly can't the kids do during the day that they can only do at night"? In my opinion, nothing. The only thing I can think of is dance. I'm sure the clubs for the teens close earlier than the curfew so..... I do not see a problem. The kids can socialize and mingle and swim...shop...probably even dance during the day and evening hours on a cruise ship..who knows.! lol...

I agree that their should be a curfew and I hope its enforced. The town where I live at even has a curfew for under 18 and it is enforced. Actually, most of the surrounding towns have the same. As far as work, for the most part, teens aren't scheduled to work at 2am anyhow...so that is never an issue.

My teens will abide by the rules and they have no problem with it.

Esmerelda

What was formerly known as PLAYING HOOKIE now had a Politically Correct name: Daytime Curfew

(Cleveland Codif ied Ordinances Section 605.141)

Q: I take my child to school and she leaves without my permission. Can I be held responsible when she leaves without my permission?

A: Yes, you can. As a parent you have a duty to prohibit your child from violating the minor daytime curfew ordinance. Your only defense would be to initiate an unruly child action in Juvenile Court against your child.

Section 605.141:

(a) No child between The ages of six and seventeen, shall be at any place within the City except in attendance at school between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. during any school day, unless the child has written proof from school authorities excusing him or her from attending school, or unless the child is accompanied by a parent, legal guardian, or a responsible adult.

(b) Each parent or legal guardian of a cbild between the aqes of six and seventeen, shall have a duty to prohibit the child from behavinq contrary to division (a).

Penalty: "Unruly" charges may be filed against the child in Juvenile Court and parents will be charged with a minor misdemeanor and fined.

Minor Night Curfew

(Cleveland Codified Ordinances Section 605.14)

Q: Are there different curfews for children depending upon the child's age?

A: Yes, as it pertains to minor night curfew, children are divided into three different categories.

Section 605.09:

(a) Children shall not be upon streets, sidewalks, in a park or any public place between the following restricted hours, unless the child is accompanied by a parent or legal guardian or a responsible adult selected by the parent or legal guardian to supervise the child

Time/Age:

Darkness to Dawn 12 years or younger

11:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. 13-16 years

Midnight to 5:00 a.m. 17 years+

Penalty: Any parent or guardian who violates this section is guilty of permitting a curfew violation which is a minor misdemeanor.

NOW I ALSO CHECKED WWW.RCCL.COM TO SEE WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY ON CURFEWS:

Guest Conduct Policy A guest must be at least 18 years of age to purchase, possess or use tobacco onboard.

Curfews Ship's management reserves the right to enact curfews on an individual, group, or ship-wide basis, if in the sole judgment of the ship's Captain, such steps become necessary to ensure guest or crew safety. Disembarking a Ship Parents or guardians must not permit any guest in their care under age 18 from leaving a ship in any port without responsible adult supervision.

It's a good idea to read RCCL Guest Conduct Policy as it covers everything that could wreck a vacation for everyone.

Keep in mind that a curfew doesn't mean you have to stop having fun, and it doesn't mean you even have to go to bed -- it just means you can't be in the public areas of the ship.

Would you allow your teens to go into someone else's cabin? It seems that 95% of adults wouldn't. So how can you really have fun? By watching t.v. or listening to music? Being in your cabin takes away the whole cruise experience and fun. Especially when your not with any of the people you were originally having fun with.

Now that I think about it, an area should be designated for teens as they have now, but it should be monitored by security throughout the night. By doing this maybe teens could stay within this area as late as they want or at least until the curfew set by there parents. Severe consequences should be set for teens not in there cabins or not in this designated area. I don't see why this type of plan isn't used.

"I have never seen a town or a city with a curfew. "

The town I grew up in McKeesport, PA (some time ago) blew the fire whistle at 10:00 pm every night as the curfew.

Ok ok i understand that people here live in towns with curfews, i never did. Im sorry for missing out on this childhood expierence and that is why i specifically said that i realize they exist, I've just never been to one.....some believe curfews should be kept to the parents, others believe that the town should emply its own, i think it should be up to the parents. (fire proof suit on)

Archived