Why Do Some Cruisers Act Like a Pack of Wolves When Faced with a Buffet?

NolaGuy

I just got back from my 4th Carnival cruise and I enjoyed it(I always do), but I've noticed something that really aggravates me. I'm a fairly young guy, but I've got manners, and apparently this is a rare trait in people these days.

What really aggravated me the most was the people in line for the buffet. I rarely eat buffets, as the food is NEVER as good as when it is served to you immediately, but other than that, I have discovered why people gain 15 or 20 pounds on a cruise. The majority of these people seemed to think the food was going to run out--They stampeded when the buffet line opened, they piled their plates as high as possible(sometimes higher than wasn't possible, hence the spilling of food on the line, the floor, themselves, etc), they were pushy, rude, and crass. My girlfriend and I finally just stepped out of the way, disgusted, and waited till the line died down some. In the future when I miss my seating in the dining room, I will eat from the slim pickings offered on the room service menu rather than to witness the gluttony from the slobs at the buffet(not all of the diners, but a good many...I was very surprised). I actually lose weight on a cruise, because I do not find the food, no matter what dining venue I eat in, all that great. Some of it is good, but I can eat way better at almost any non-chain restaurant in New Orleans. I go on cruises for the relaxation, the visiting of ports, the romantic aspects of it---NOT for the food.

I just got back from my 4th Carnival cruise and I enjoyed it(I always do), but I've noticed something that really aggravates me. I'm a fairly young guy, but I've got manners, and apparently this is a rare trait in people these days.

What really aggravated me the most was the people in line for the buffet. I rarely eat buffets, as the food is NEVER as good as when it is served to you immediately, but other than that, I have discovered why people gain 15 or 20 pounds on a cruise. The majority of these people seemed to think the food was going to run out--They stampeded when the buffet line opened, they piled their plates as high as possible(sometimes higher than wasn't possible, hence the spilling of food on the line, the floor, themselves, etc), they were pushy, rude, and crass. My girlfriend and I finally just stepped out of the way, disgusted, and waited till the line died down some. In the future when I miss my seating in the dining room, I will eat from the slim pickings offered on the room service menu rather than to witness the gluttony from the slobs at the buffet(not all of the diners, but a good many...I was very surprised). I actually lose weight on a cruise, because I do not find the food, no matter what dining venue I eat in, all that great. Some of it is good, but I can eat way better at almost any non-chain restaurant in New Orleans. I go on cruises for the relaxation, the visiting of ports, the romantic aspects of it---NOT for the food.

It's the same at buffets on land... which is why I avoid buffets in general :p LOL The food isn't all that great and you have to fight the people that act as if it is their last meal... Not all people act this way with a buffet, but there are always a handful that do it seems.

That's why Americans are so fat. I think it's why we're disliked by so many other countries. Think about all the crew members who see us stuffing our faces, leaving whole sandwiches on plates, etc. - I've never understood the leaving of untouched food on a cruise ship - it's not like you only have one trip through the line. It's very unappetising to go up to the Lido deck, hence I only do it when I want (made to order) calzone.

I also notice that many seniors act that way, especially from certain European countries.

How funny your all mostly from Europe originally, maybe the older europeans remember being hungry!! which our generation are mostly in the western world have never known. I hate to see everyone rushing the buffet but with the old lady and the yogurt, maybe something from her past might be causing this. Be nice peeps

And even if they aren't physically pushing you along, the energy is pushing you along. One woman kept invading DH's personal space on the last cruise. I let a couple people cut in front of me at the buffet. I say step out of their way and let them through. Then I can enjoy a relaxing meal.;)

How funny your all mostly from Europe originally, maybe the older europeans remember being hungry!! which our generation are mostly in the western world have never known. I hate to see everyone rushing the buffet but with the old lady and the yogurt, maybe something from her past might be causing this. Be nice peeps

I would have an easier time believing she just wanted to keep some yogurt in her cabin, or wanted to take it on a shore excursion, than believing she was having flashbacks ;) Yogurt and the packaged items, i can see (we've done this with milk) for keeping in the cabin... but piling your plate high with 85 pieces of bacon, 42 pieces of sausage, etc... that takes it to a different level :p I've seen one man have FOUR trays of food at a table, by himself :eek:

People also want to feel they are getting their money's worth. I try to stay away from buffets because I will eat more, but I also try not to gain weight while on a cruise. As other people said, it's not just on cruises but at any buffet or all you can eat restaurant, people do scarf down and push people out of the way for fear of food running out.

On another note, every "real" European that I know tends to be thinner than most Americans and have better eating habits.

Only visited the buffet 2 times during my cruise and both were for breakfast. There was a little line ( 2 or 3 people ) but I never felt rushed and never saw any outragous behavior, just a buffet line like at denny's or shoney's. It is what it is;)

Breakfast would be the buffet choice for me, I like the variety...Dinner would be in the dining room, or a quick sandwich...plenty to eat before going to sleep...At least that is how I remember my last cruise. What is funny, I just got invited to a buffet on Tuesday night for a birthday, I'm sure I'll be thinking of these posts while I'm watching and eating LOL

Cindy

On our last Princess Cruise, the Comedian "Sarge" referred to the cruise as a Food Barge. Not only does there seem to be an unending supply of food, Cruise lines seem to encourage the Food Barge Mentality.

How about 24 hour pizza and ice cream. four hours of breakfast service, four hours of lunch, four hours of dinner. Buffet, Sushi Bar, Pastry Bar with the Coffee bar. Midnight buffet, 24 hour room service. No wonder we all gain weight on a cruise.

I personally despise midnight (or late night) buffets. I normally quit eating about 8PM so I do not really need any more food right before bedtime, particularly large quantities of Buffet Food or Desserts (Chocolate). Trying to get Mapwife to understand this can be problematic. She is of the mind-set that we paid big bucks for the cruise and the cruiseline puts the food out for us, we might as well see what is there. Which leads to eating!!! Enough!!

It is pretty disgusting to watch the amount of food people eat for various reasons. I find that the older I get, I just don't have the same appetite I did when I was younger. I don't eat three meals a day, it's just too much. On the last cruise, we had the late seating for dinner 8pm and we had people in our group that went to the midnight buffet or they would go down and get ice cream every night. If I over eat I feel so miserable, it's not worth it. Plus if you are also drinking, there is only so much room in your stomach. I don't like eating first thing in the morning, just coffee, I find if I eat a little something around 10 or 11, I'm good until dinner. Never ate lunch on the ship, if I did get a little hungry I'd usually grab a piece of fruit or a yogurt and I'd be fine. I generally do not order every course that is offered for dinner, if it is something I want to try I only take a couple of bites. I ended up losing a few pounds on the last cruise.

I tried not ordering an appetizer on the cruise I was on 6 years ago, I thought the waiter was going to make me walk a plank, he insisted I have it, to keep the peace, I took it, didn't eat it, showed him huh? LOL He was relentless....

Cindy

I read all the replies and the only thought I can come up with is, nobody should be rude crowding and pushing their way through the buffet line but on the other hand, people like me save their hard earned money and if I want to eat 3 pizzas Why can't I, if I want 3 plates of food what's the problem. People cruise for different reasons, to relax, to party, to visit ports, to eat foods they don't get all the time and like me all the above. Other things that are disgusting are people who are loud and drunk cussing and not caring if kids are around. I lived in Las Vegas for 15 years and the same thing happens, people lose their money so when it comes to buffet time they eat more and take more than they can handle because they feel they deserve it.

Just my 2 cents worth

Other things that are disgusting are people who are loud and drunk cussing and not caring if kids are around.

Just my 2 cents worth

I agree! I personally have never seen bad behaviour in or near the buffet, but i also dont pay any attention to what people are eating or how much they have piled on their plates, and I would HOPE that no one is paying that much attention to ME either! People should be mindful of those around them no matter where they are! Longhorn, I LOVE your avatar!:D

I am astounded at the lack of manners in the buffet line. I could care less how much people eat, but I was really appalled last year when a lady in front of me scraped the onions out of a bowl with her bare hand. I had no clue what to do or who to complain to. It really made me think about eating at the buffet again.

Archived