Juneau--time to get to whale watch?

NCmomwithteens

Our ship gets in at noon and I am currently booked on Capt Larry's 3 pm whale watch. Because it gets back so late, we won't have a chance to hike around Mendenhall, which I really want to do.

Question 1: Do you think I could make it for a 12:45 check in time?

Question 2: If not, do you think it would be risky to try to arrange a cab to pick us up at the glacier visitors center at 8:30 PM?

Thank You!!:)

people have reported having pre-arrange taxi before. you might make the 12:45, if your ship docks in time. it only took me 20 mins to get to their office after our ship docked. have you though about going out to mendenhall 1st and arranging for orca enterprises to pick you up there?

you would still have to go by their offices to sign the paperwork, but it's right in the general area for catching the shuttle to mendenhall.

you are going to get back from whale watching around 7pm...with time to get to mendenhall and then 30 mins to get from mendenhall back to the docks...that doesn't leave you much time.

Question 2: If not, do you think it would be risky to try to arrange a cab to pick us up at the glacier visitors center at 8:30 PM?

When are you coming? It's getting dark sooner and sooner, and when hiking back under the trees, it's darker still. But otherwise, just take the phone number of a cab company--I recommend Evergreen Cab, 907/586-2121--and give them a call when you're ready. You cell phone should work. You can prearrange, or just wait until you're ready, in case you lose oomph early or are detained.

Thanks for your suggestions. It turns out that there isn't a 1 PM whale watch, but Orca will drop me off at the Visitors Center at Mendenall after the whale watch around 6:30 and we can hike for an hour or so. We are coming in August and the guy at Orca said it doesn't get dark until almost 11 PM. I am going to arrange the cab to pick us up, so I think it will be fine.

Archived