Possibly strike in Long Beach/LA Harbor

We are now within one hour of the clerks going on strike in the harbor area and they are still very far apart in negotiations....If the 900 clerks strike, the 15,000 Long Shoreman will honor their strike and also not work.....

I actually work in the harbor and have been getting prepared on how this will affect our company, then I suddenly started to think about my cruise next Friday on the Paradise!!

I know the Long Shoreman handle our luggage at the pier when getting on/off the ship, so I thought, ok the worst would be we may have to carry on our own luggage??

But what about all the food and other items, are these also Long Shoreman....Does anyone know?

The last strike was back in 2002.

Man, I hope this doesn't spoil it for us cruisers.......

Chris

A similiar situation happened in Alaska several years ago when the Longshoremen demanded they be allowed to deliver the luggage "to the individual cabin" instead of to the holding area in the ship as they do now. (Carnival staff handles it from the holding area in the ship to the cabin)

It was not a huge problem. Slowed things down a little bit from what I read, but the Carnival staff simply handled it from car to cabin. Did more damage to the image of the Longshoremen's Union that anything else.

No, the Longshoremen did not get their way.

It is good that people have a heads up on this though. Because in the LA area, I don't know how prone those LS are to violence, if there is a picket line and cruisers cross it with Carnival staff handling the luggage. It could be a mess.

Archived