Disturbing News

cjar855

If it is the same one I saw, an elderly woman died....they tried to revive her but couldn't... here is the link, this is probably different than the OP was talking about... i agree, post it... now you have our curiousity peaked!

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040818/NEWS/108180036

Ok. I hope this is allowed to post. I guess it is the same article. Very sad

Cruise ship passenger dies

By Sharla Bean

A 73-year-old female passenger from New York died on the Carnival Legend cruise ship on Monday.

Police said yesterday medical staff were alerted by the woman's daughter after she was found in her ship cabin in a non-responsive state. They tried to revive the passenger, but without success. The body was taken to New York.

The ship, which arrived in Dockyard on Saturday morning, left the Island on Monday. The Carnival Legend is an infrequent visitor to Bermuda.

Sadly to say it is not all that disturbing and I don't think it is too uncommon either. Someone died while we were on the Legend last October also. It is very sad to hear. It scared the heck out of me because they did some kind of code alert over the PA system in our room at about 5am - we really didn't know what was going on at first. I think the poor man had a heart attack. When it's your time - it's your time - doesn't matter where you are.

so that WAS it... of course you can post that!!!!! I know it is sad, but i don't know i would call it disturbing... it does happen ALOT more than you might think... they are prepared for this (take a tour of the ship and listen for the banana cooler...and they do have provisions for this), primarily due to the ages some people cruise at, but also anything can happen. Very sad for her family... indeed, I can't imagine...

We took a cruise ship tour years ago and the guy walked by an area and said "this is the banana cooler"... kept going, so i asked him later "why do you have a cooler for just bananas", he said that was their term for the "onboard morgue"... kind of eerie, but he said if you consider how many MILLIONS of people cruise each year, and even at the lowest percentage, there are many deaths on the sea during a year, moreso on lines that cater to the older crowd I would imagine... but it does happen... But it does make sense, as many people that cruise, it is bound to happen WAY more often than many think...

Good Lord....people die all the time. A young guy died on one of my Carnival Cruises, we heard it was drugs, but who knows. They put him in the frig until the next port & his family transported his body home from there.

We all die someday and when you think about it, a cruise isn't such a bad place to go!

Sad? Definitely. Our thoughts and prayers should be extended to her family.

Disturbing? Hardly. People *do* die. It happens every minute of every day. What is *more* disturbing is reading the account of the passenger on the Conquest over a year ago who, while on his honeymoon, got into a drunken argument with his new bride and jumped overboard from his balcony (I hope I am remembering the details correctly).

Uncommon occurance? Certainly not, or there would not be the "banana cooler." You are dealing with a floating city of close to 3,000 people, not to mention staff and crew. The actuarial tables would indicate that there is a high statistical probability of this happening quite often.

My last cruise on the ELATION (2002), a young lady I got to know (according to the FBI) died accidentally. I'm positive she was murdered, but that is another story. :(

The old Cunard Queen Mary when leaving on her WORLD CRUISE, left port with 29 coffins.

People die on cruise ships just like they do on land.

I worked for Fairbanks Princess Hotel for a little over a year and during that short time we had two people die in the hotel alone and more who either just left the hotel or were on their way. It is very sad but when I get elderly, I like going out happy and on a beautiful vacation would be the way to go. :)

Excuse me, but this must be said.

What a way to go.

I have a 90 year old grandmother. Nothing would please me more than for her to pass while on a lovely vacation as opposed to alone in her home.

If I had my choice, I'd go the same way...as we were pulling back into port to debark, I might add...when the cruise is over.

My last cruise on the ELATION (2002), a young lady I got to know (according to the FBI) died accidentally.
Ok, I am confused here. Which part is "according to the FBI"? The part about the accidental death, or the part about you getting to know her?

It makes a difference. :eek:

Ok, I am confused here. Which part is "according to the FBI"? The part about the accidental death, or the part about you getting to know her?

It makes a difference. :eek:

Although the parenthesis IS in the wrong place, I think that's kind of obvious~!

glrounds..Come on now! You HAVE to give us the 411 on this story! Enquiring minds want to know!

On flying to my Spirit cruise, and elderly man passed away waiting for his luggage. He was also heading to the cruise. I remember him walking up and down the isles of the plane. He was probably experiencing chest discomfort while he was flying. nHe did not look good in the face. He acted like something was wrong. He never made it out of the Miami airport. :(

Last year on our cruise on the Conquest there were two people that died. One young lady (20 something) drank way too much and passed out on a chair by the pool when her friends came back she was not breathing, the called an alert but couldn't save her. Than an older man died of a heart attack. The last excitement we had is they called the air guard and did a helacopter do a air lift of a older lady that was having heart trouble. I never heard about the out come of the lady. We watch the air left from the pool deck. talk about an eventful cruise....

the newly married man fell over the balcony railing on the last night of the cruise. We had sailed out of Gulfport and were in the channels coming into port. We were asleep, it was around 3:00 in the morning when we heard th message over the intercom. We couldn't understand it, but you could tell it was an emergency. The next morning we asked a crew member , but he couldn't give us any information. We found out after we got off the ship, what had happened. They found his body 3-4 days later on the small islands in Mississippi sound.Very sad indeed.

My last cruise on the ELATION (2002), a young lady I got to know (according to the FBI) died accidentally. I'm positive she was murdered, but that is another story. :(

Okay Gary, give us more details about you, the young lady and the FBI! ;)

the newly married man fell over the balcony railing on the last night of the cruise. We had sailed out of Gulfport and were in the channels coming into port. We were asleep, it was around 3:00 in the morning when we heard th message over the intercom. We couldn't understand it, but you could tell it was an emergency. The next morning we asked a crew member , but he couldn't give us any information. We found out after we got off the ship, what had happened. They found his body 3-4 days later on the small islands in Mississippi sound.Very sad indeed.
That *is* the incident I am remembering. Whether he fell or jumped is the stuff urban legends are made of.

Archived